As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's definitely a streamlined campaign. But I like that as there is no shortage of detailed granular campaign systems out there and the homework required between games is just too much for some people. Having it be literally impossible to become worse than your starting band is the kind of experiment I'm down with as I've seen too many campaigns dwindle out because early success or failure compounds into a very much two tier system and then the people at the bottom of the pile get into a death spiral and lose interest.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    With the newest rumour engine picture being a grave stone and the latest teaser vid, my prediction is now Ogors vs either Deathrattle (Tithe of Bones) or Flesheater Courts (Feast of Bones) for the next AoS set. Fleheaters could use something a bit more interesting than ghouls, bigger ghouls, and bigger ghouls with wings.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Would be really cool if Ogors get some big releases, they've been pretty neglected since the Beastclaw Raiders stuff got split off of them.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The campaign/progression element is definitely the weakest part of Warcry, it's neat that you don't have to necessarily wrangle an organised group together for weekly sessions to run a campaign, but inevitably as part of that the system is a little flimsy. The actual mechanical face-bashing seems neat though, I'll probably at least pick up the rule book and a warband, but I don't think I'll get much use out of the core box.

I can't see FEC getting included in another boxed set so soon after Carrion Empire (though I agree they could use some new models to expand the range!) So far those box kits have exclusively been for armies that have had a recent book, or are getting one in short order. So maybe Ogors versus Free Cities? Or even Ogors versus (Feast of) Bonesplitterz? A dual destruction box would be weird, but would probably sell well. A re-imagined deathrattle/shiny new death faction is a contender too.

My expectation for an Ogor release is something along the lines of Gloomspite, the BCR will be rolled back in under the 'Mawtribes' banner, all their non-mounted heroes are currently resin so hopefully we'll see something there, plus some surprise new kits.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Got a chance to demo Warcry last night at a non-GW FLGS (apparently they're shipping starter-sets-as-demo-boxes to any store that preorders at least 8 starters, so the odds of a store near you having it is reasonably high) and I really enjoyed it. It's a much more streamlined experience than Kill Team and mixing it up in melee is more fun than duking it out at range (though I do love my Deathwatch squad.)

$170 for the starter seems like a lot but there's quite a lot of stuff packed in there. Both the Iron Golem squad and the Untamed Beast squad seem pretty great (I played the Golems), and there's nice differentiation between the two. Based solely on the images I wasn't really interested in either, but I think I'd be happy playing the Golems now that I've seen them in action.

You also get a bunch of terrain, four large (~30 cards) decks of cards to randomize scenarios with (victory, terrain, deployment, and twist), a bunch (like a dozen total? fourteen?) of two different neutral Chaos creatures that can be activated by either side if they're in the scenario, a nice pack-in transparent flexible ruler, the two armies have some variant options on the sprues, the requisite double sided playmat, etc.

It also plays fast. Going to make an attack? Compare strength vs toughness, roll X dice, check the results. Anything equal to or greater than a 3, 4 or 5 (based on S vs T) is a hit, any 6 is a crit. No rolls for wounds, saves, damage; everything uses the one set of rolls. So attacks resolve themselves very easily.

Using sets of dice for abilities is fun too. Most units can use 0 or 1 of the specific abilities, everyone on your squad can use your faction's generic ability (for the Iron Golems it's Throw Bolas, a weak yet useful bonus ranged attack), and your faction card has six abilities on it so it's real easy to memorize who can do what.

When you're down to one unit on the board (if the Victory hasn't been met yet), the "one ability per activation" rule goes out the window, so your last dude can go hog wild if you roll some nice sets. It's nice to have that chance at a late game comeback.

Going back this afternoon to play it with a friend of mine who couldn't make it yesterday.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    With the newest rumour engine picture being a grave stone and the latest teaser vid, my prediction is now Ogors vs either Deathrattle (Tithe of Bones) or Flesheater Courts (Feast of Bones) for the next AoS set. Fleheaters could use something a bit more interesting than ghouls, bigger ghouls, and bigger ghouls with wings.

Ghouls would be good, "Feast of Bones" sort of implies to me it's Ogors vs Skellies though.

It seems odd only the Cypher Lords are available outside the starter for Warcry

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I hadn't seen this guy from the Unmade who lifts his masks yet.
    OurWarbands-July25-Chris1-j47f.jpg
    They are showing Studio member gangs of on Warcom and probably really should announce release dates for the other gangs if they don't want to annoy people who are waiting on the other gangs. "before long" isn't all that helpful.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    vanguard raptors kit is giving me hells of choice paralysis.

normally this is something I'd try magnetizing but the two units have different base sizes.

edit: Yeah, I've come around on the stormbois.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Whew. Back home after my first real game with Beastclaw Raiders, played against Fyredorfs.

2k list:

- Frostlord on Stonehorn
    - Beastriders on Thundertusk

Jorlbad:
    - Huskard on Stonehorn
    - Beastriders on Stonehorn
    - 4x Mournfangs
    - 4x Mournfangs

Twelve models, 1980 points. :rotate:

I got the first turn, erased two entire units (520 points) on my first charge.

Lost on objectives, which is kind of what BCR sucks at, but it was a fair chunk me sucking as well since this was my first real game with them - I wanted to snipe heroes with the Thundertusk but it ended up way too far away from the juiciest targets.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

normally this is something I'd try magnetizing but the two units have different base sizes.

They're both good options to my eye, I think the top lists favour the longstrikes coupled with teleport shenanigans as a mobile sniper firebase, but the fact that the hurricane crossbows still get to double-shot when they lightning strike onto the board is entertaining, but it's easier to screen off and you're more likely to just be trading your hurricanes for whatever target you decide to shoot at.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Whew. Back home after my first real game with Beastclaw Raiders, played against Fyredorfs.

2k list:

- Frostlord on Stonehorn
    - Beastriders on Thundertusk

Jorlbad:
    - Huskard on Stonehorn
    - Beastriders on Stonehorn
    - 4x Mournfangs
    - 4x Mournfangs

Twelve models, 1980 points. :rotate:

I got the first turn, erased two entire units (520 points) on my first charge.

Lost on objectives, which is kind of what BCR sucks at, but it was a fair chunk me sucking as well since this was my first real game with them - I wanted to snipe heroes with the Thundertusk but it ended up way too far away from the juiciest targets.

xdw551bh88yf.jpg

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What's that from?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    What's that from?

One of the webcomics on the Warhammer Community page
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/26/season-3-no-007-a-new-challenger/

Got in a proper game! My Nighthaunt vs Wanderers with the new Meeting Engagement rules. I won quite handily as I was playing more focussed on the objectives, and because I was being ridiculously lucky with my saving throws.

The Nighthaunt many ways to warp across the battlefield certainly help grab objectives early.

At one point my Knight of Shrouds general got flattened down to a single hit point by a behemoth of a tree man thing, surviving by the skin of his teeth and some truly outrageous save rolls, and then proceeded to heal right back to full health with his life draining sword. The look on my opponent’s face was not pleased.

A fun format for small games. I hope to play more.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2019
    I wish they could or would bring in Malice again as a full fledged (sixth I suppose now) Chaos God. I was just looking at some of the old illustrations of Daemons of Malice from the 1st edition RPG stuff, and it's all pretty cool. It also feels like it would fit in pretty well with the theme of Warcry

Edit: You know I don't know that I'd have thought it, but I think I might be more interested in the Untamed Beasts from the starter than the Iron Golems.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

They're both good options to my eye, I think the top lists favour the longstrikes coupled with teleport shenanigans as a mobile sniper firebase, but the fact that the hurricane crossbows still get to double-shot when they lightning strike onto the board is entertaining, but it's easier to screen off and you're more likely to just be trading your hurricanes for whatever target you decide to shoot at.
    I've had some horde issues in previous games so hurricanes and some sneaky aetherwings seem like a plan.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I thought Warcry came out this last week as the preview for the other warbands will be up for pre order later this week. Still I am tempted to get the terrain sets as I feel they are like kill team with the one and done printings

edited August 2019
    Cross post:
    Gen Con reveals:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/01/gencon-previewgw-homepage-post-1/

Aeronautica Imperialis is back and now hex based
    GenConreveals-Aug1-AeronauticaGame5uhvrgh-665x380.jpg

next Underworlds season
    GenConreveals-Aug1-WHUWBeastmen10ejmcg-665x431.jpg
    GenConreveals-Aug1-WHUWKurnothi11vhgwr-665x280.jpg

Next BB team
    GenConreveals-Aug1-BBSaurus8jnvgwf-665x333.jpg
    GenConreveals-Aug1-BBSkinks7qjkjbhgd-665x388.jpg

edit:
    I have to say the Satyr-Aelves look a bit weird. The heads look more like GW 10 years ago? Also the proportions between upper and lower body look off.

honovere on
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I am hugely disappointed that, as far as I can tell, the new underworlds starter is 100% dudes. I always knew GW didn't have the balls (pun intended) to make beastwomen, but that doesn't make me any happier.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I am hugely disappointed that, as far as I can tell, the new underworlds starter is 100% dudes. I always knew GW didn't have the balls (pun intended) to make beastwomen, but that doesn't make me any happier.

Yiff

Still I showed my brother it specifically the satyr style elves. He said this is what he excepted the wood elves became. motioning to the eels I have built over the last couple of days. Still he is kind of upset he understands the sylvaneth being mostly the trees doesn't bother him. It's the elf spirts that do. Of the warbands he plays he just plays both undead ones in Underworlds he kind of wanted a new one but nothing was appealing to him.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If woman warbands are a huge sticking point for you there's always Dreadfane.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yiff

I don't know what this means in this context.

Dreadfane is the stripped-down version (so there goes my interest), and if I understand correctly will anyways only be available in Germany and the US which helps me not at all.

In any case, that doesn't address my concern, which (here) is representation is fictional worlds and games.

When GW (or whoever) are tasked with designing a centaur or a beastperson or an ogre or a dwarf or an elf or… it's (almost) always dude first (because dudes are the default, always), then maybe (but only for sexy races like elves) a token female or two down the line. I can't be the only one who's curious and excited about what the designers could come up with for, e.g., a female ogre. (And in fact I converted half my BCR into lady ogres. But I shouldn't have to.)

Fundamentally, though, I am disappointed but not surprised, and much less likely to buy a product I had otherwise looked forward to.

I do like that it's not more stormcast, though. Nothing in particular against them, it's just nice to see other factions, too, given the spotlight of being in a starter.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Dreadfane is the stripped-down version (so there goes my interest), and if I understand correctly will anyways only be available in Germany and the US which helps me not at all.

In any case, that doesn't address my concern, which (here) is representation is fictional worlds and games.

The warbands in Dreadfane are usable in Underworlds, it's not stripped down at all. You're locked into a specific board orientation/objective placement if you use the board in the box, but it actually has more content and an entirely new phase compared to "regular" Underworlds. It's also two warbands that are 1/3 female and 100% female.

I'll give you the regional release complaint though.

I thiiink (And I could be wrong) that the bow-wielding Kurnothi might be a woman if you look closely at the face, but it is hard to tell. But regardless I agree that it would have been a good opportunity to model a female Bray-Shaman or something, hopefully we'll see a Daughters of Khaine warband to swing things around!

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

I thiiink (And I could be wrong) that the bow-wielding Kurnothi might be a woman if you look closely at the face, but it is hard to tell. But regardless I agree that it would have been a good opportunity to model a female Bray-Shaman or something, hopefully we'll see a Daughters of Khaine warband to swing things around!

Not that I'm trying to champion all dudes or anything I'm legit curious: has there ever been a female beastmen model?

Not that I know of, they were called the 'beastmen' up until quite recently, after all! (Though I suppose there could be some old bloodbowl cheerleader or something that I'm overlooking.)

edited August 2019
    I'm not opposed to all male or all female warbands. I wish for 2 things:
    1) On average, between 40/60 and 60/40 split male/female.
    2) That the women are not exclusively from the "sexy" races.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

Edit: Cant get lists to work on mobile

[Expletive deleted] on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Does the thundertusk stonehorn always use the mounts head? I want to buy the head on ebay for my next Space Wolves knight but I can't find any.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    So does anyone know how long the Warcry starter is supposed to be available? I was planning on picking it up on launch but I probably won't have the money to spare until early next month which is my b-day. I assume it'll be around for a few months at least but I don't want to miss it and I can budget if I have to to get it sooner

Stragint wrote: »
    Does the thundertusk stonehorn always use the mounts head? I want to buy the head on ebay for my next Space Wolves knight but I can't find any.

It's a dual kit. You use either the stonehorn or the thundertusk head. So unless you magnetize to be able to swap (like I did), you'll always have one head to spare.

One of my friends did exactly what you want to do. I think he got his bits from hoard of bits.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

It's a dual kit. You use either the stonehorn or the thundertusk head. So unless you magnetize to be able to swap (like I did), you'll always have one head to spare.

One of my friends did exactly what you want to do. I think he got his bits from hoard of bits.

Yea, hoard of bits had one up on ebay but I was waiting for my pay check and missed out on it.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    So does anyone know how long the Warcry starter is supposed to be available? I was planning on picking it up on launch but I probably won't have the money to spare until early next month which is my b-day. I assume it'll be around for a few months at least but I don't want to miss it and I can budget if I have to to get it sooner

Nobody knows. Lots of Killteam products, including the starter box, selling out and never being reprinted has given people the fear it may be limited.

Anything purely card based tends to be a single print and never restock product as well, but the Warcry card packs contain vital rules not currently printed anywhere else so you’d hope they’ll be sticking around.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Lots of stuff on the last chance to buy list now. Basically the whole high elf range except for the phoenix related stuff, most dwarf stuff and also a bunch of freeguild and Wanderers.

So much for that free cities battletome.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Not that I know of, they were called the 'beastmen' up until quite recently, after all! (Though I suppose there could be some old bloodbowl cheerleader or something that I'm overlooking.)

In Oldhammer female beastmen were baby factory’s, huge overweight things.

I kind of hoped that’s something they would change. The same is also true of female Skaven (which are also beastmen in a way) but it’s a pretty sucky trope.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I thought beastmen were always born to human parents, and then taken during raids or abandoned in the forests?
    Not that thats an excuse for not have ladygors, just curious

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited August 2019
    honovere wrote: »
    Lots of stuff on the last chance to buy list now. Basically the whole high elf range except for the phoenix related stuff, most dwarf stuff and also a bunch of freeguild and Wanderers.

So much for that free cities battletome.

They literally say in the announcement for the battletome that some older order stuff was becoming Warhammer legends, aka out of print forever.

TheGerbil on
    Norgoth wrote: »

In Oldhammer female beastmen were baby factory’s, huge overweight things.

I kind of hoped that’s something they would change. The same is also true of female Skaven (which are also beastmen in a way) but it’s a pretty sucky trope.

I know the skaven thing, they got the Lucario thing going on where like 95%+ are male (I know it's 87.5% for Lucario). I think female beastmen were just generally rarer than the males or something? I can't recall the reason there.

Beastwomen are described as "shy and gentle" when they're mentioned.

Nobody knows. Lots of Killteam products, including the starter box, selling out and never being reprinted has given people the fear it may be limited.

Anything purely card based tends to be a single print and never restock product as well, but the Warcry card packs contain vital rules not currently printed anywhere else so you’d hope they’ll be sticking around.

Checking around it seems that GW have said that the starter will be around for a long while on Facebook and others have said they stated the starter box would be permanent (but the specific box might change) but I couldn't find that myself. I'm assuming I can get this next month.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Picked up my Warcry stuff this morning. Not getting the starter because the armies in it did not terribly appeal to me. Got the core book, the Cypher Lords, and the case. In two weeks I'll get the terrain cards and the cool nightvault terrain box.

Cypher Lords can be described as such; squishy blenders. Two units with 4 Toughness and 20/15 wounds. Six units with 3 Toughness and 10 wounds. But everyone's got speed five and lots of attacks. And they can hop over terrain with a Double.

There are two variants of grunts, the armored Mirrorblades and the cloth wearing Mindbound. Box builds three of each. The former have 1x each polearm and dual wield and 1x choice of polearm or dual wield. The latter have 2x dual wield and choice of polearm or dual wield.

Leader and Second can teleport grunts. Grunts with polearms can AoE sweep with a Double.

Bigger grunts have more attacks, strength, and damage per weapon type. Polearms have more reach, one less attack, one more critical damage.

Box builds 955-965 points depending on your two choices.

Rius on
This discussion has been closed.