As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    The Hey! Arnold movie goes to a lot wierd kinda racist places and I say that as someone
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    Right after the animation studio unionizes, they don't renew a show? (at least that's the twitter theory I read)

I think it's likely that just not a ton of people saw it.

That and it could get really, unapologetically weird. Wayyy weirder than BoJack Horseman ever has. It often embraced the surreal and absurd in a way that normally only children's cartoons do.

There's a later episode which deals with Berties childhood trauma which gets super dark, but is heartfelt in a very real way and had me simultaneously laughing out loud with just how wierd it allowed itself to get near the end of everything. We were robbed of a great show.

And Speckle. We were robbed of best boyfriend Speckle...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently the semi-live-action Tom and Jerry movie now stars Ken Jeong, Rob Delaney, Jordan Bolger, Pallavi Sharda, Colin Jost, Chloe Grace Moretz, Michael Pena, and god knows who else because we live in hell.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently the semi-live-action Tom and Jerry movie now stars Ken Jeong, Rob Delaney, Jordan Bolger, Pallavi Sharda, Colin Jost, Chloe Grace Moretz, Michael Pena, and god knows who else because we live in hell.

Tom and Jerry died long ago.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Who?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

That’s an awful lot of people for a movie where the titular characters are animated and mute.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Has anyone seen Twelve Forever on Netflix? I just read some interesting impressions of the show and now my curiosity is piqued.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Twelve Forever has a monster lady with a big scary smile and a man's voice in a tight bodysuit. I have been sold on that kind of material for most of my life.

Absalon on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    New (short) season of She-Ra out today.

edited August 2019
    Has anyone seen Twelve Forever on Netflix? I just read some interesting impressions of the show and now my curiosity is piqued.

It started as a CN pilot iirc. Didnt care for it much back then tbh

King Riptor on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

It started as a CN pilot iirc. Didnt care for it much back then tbh

I saw that pilot and had the same reaction, but I heard the Netflix series significantly different.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

Just finished watching last night, it was alright. The first and second episode gives enough on what it's all about. A little bit more to introduce a third major character in the mix.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Does Final Space get better? I appreciate what they're trying to do, but after the first two episodes I still want to throw the main guy out the nearest airlock. That and the tonal whiplash. (Not saying a wacky show can't have serious/dark moments -- I'm a huge Futurama fan -- but the way it was done in episode 2 just left me cold.)

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Does Final Space get better? I appreciate what they're trying to do, but after the first two episodes I still want to throw the main guy out the nearest airlock. That and the tonal whiplash. (Not saying a wacky show can't have serious/dark moments -- I'm a huge Futurama fan -- but the way it was done in episode 2 just left me cold.)

It does improve. I felt the same way, but I eventually turned around on the show if not the character entirely. It doesn't really gel as a show until they build out the ensemble and the universe over the first few episodes.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Final Space suffers with the main character being absolutely insufferable and, for something that's supposed to be a comedy, it's just not funny.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Was Nomad of Nowhere mentioned at all at the Rooster expo? I'm not seeing any news about it, so I'm assuming that it's dead, Jim.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Final Space suffers with the main character being absolutely insufferable and, for something that's supposed to be a comedy, it's just not funny.

Seriously, they need to tone the guy down by maybe 30 percent and he'd be spot-on.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

And just as queer as ever.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Final Space started out bad, got better, but then season 2's been super mediocre so far.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

And just as queer as ever.

I think the entire show is going through puberty now.

edited August 2019

Its not a comedy. Its a serial drama with comedy elements.TBS didn't advertise it like that though(or adult swim but w/e)

The important thing to remember is Gary is about to crack. They'll dive into this very soon but he's been alone for 5 years. He's desperate for any kind of emotional connection and thats why hes acting like this. He will get better. By season 2 hes changed a lot

King Riptor on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The new She-Ra season could be called Catra Makes Really Bad Choices.

Opty wrote: »
    Final Space started out bad, got better, but then season 2's been super mediocre so far.

Gotta disagree. the first two episodes felt a little rushed but we're fun. The rest of the season so far has been full of great character stuff and reveals

edited August 2019

Its not a comedy. Its a serial drama with comedy elements.TBS didn't advertise it like that though(or adult swim but w/e)

The important thing to remember is Gary is about to crack. They'll dive into this very soon but he's been alone for 5 years. He's desperate for any kind of emotional connection and thats why hes acting like this. He will get better. By season 2 hes changed a lot

More specifically, Final Space is comedy and drama from two completely separate shows smashed together with no transition whatsoever. I mean, the semi-serious episodes of Futurama let the serious stuff build during the comedy, giving the serious scenes much more impact. Honestly, Final Space needs more seriousness in the comedy bits and more comedy in the serious bits. Plus the show doesn't give any scene time to breathe or build tension -- episode three was "suddenly the ship is invaded!" I mean, that was the perfect time to build some dread but nope.

I'm all for giving shows a chance to establish characters and a rhythm, but four episodes in and all the characters are still either insufferable or boring and the plot developments are making me roll my eyes rather than intrigue me (time to have a 2001-style hallucination about his dead dad!). I think I'm out.

Edit: And Jesus Christ, the cookie thing was getting old in the first episode, why do they have to make it a thing every goddamn time.

cloudeagle on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like Final Space, but it feels bloated with characters who don't matter or do anything, i.e. Fox, Tribor, and sadly Hue. I want to like Ash but it also feels like she's a prop who rarely does anything and doesn't feel very involved.

It's funny though because S2 had a joke about where Gary remarks on how reddit thinks he's annoying.

H9f4bVe.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I like Final Space, but it feels bloated with characters who don't matter or do anything, i.e. Fox, Tribor, and sadly Hue. I want to like Ash but it also feels like she's a prop who rarely does anything and doesn't feel very involved.

It's funny though because S2 had a joke about where Gary remarks on how reddit thinks he's annoying.

It’s a shame Bravest Warriors seems to have fizzled out. It wasn’t perfect, but it was better at many of things Final Space is doing.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Wasn't that the first season as well?

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Catra as the sweating guy looking at two buttons.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Catra as the sweating guy looking at two buttons.
    Button 1: Potentially destroy the world
    Button 2: Be able to live a happy life with your girlfriend(s)

edited August 2019
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Tribore just left. According to the creator its so he can develop more as a character. I think Ash and Fox are fine but HUE has been a bit underused. I like his little depression arc though

King Riptor on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Catra has been cracking at the seams since the first episode; it's just that by now it is a gaping fissure.

Scorpia's (latest season)
    plea to not go back to the Fright Zone because they were happy in the Crimson Wastes was devastating to me because I have faced similar choices in the past, and I chose to be Catra. Why can't people let themselves be happy?

Ok so the OK KO/Sonic crossover aired today and it was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1Q2UQN1ok

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Huh. So Nickelodeon just bought Garfield. Like, all of it. Jim Davis will still do the strip*, but Nick will do everything else.

*More specifically, Jim Davis will continue to take the credit for the group of artists who have actually done the strip for decades.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Hopefully this means more Garfield and friends

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I will say that the story of Davis putting a stake through the heart of the anti-drug special Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue does make me smile.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Huh. So Nickelodeon just bought Garfield. Like, all of it. Jim Davis will still do the strip*, but Nick will do everything else.

*More specifically, Jim Davis will continue to take the credit for the group of artists who have actually done the strip for decades.

Couldn't be any worse than what we've been getting for the last couple decades.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I will say that the story of Davis putting a stake through the heart of the anti-drug special Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue does make me smile.

Oh my god I've got to hear this.

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Jim Davis is good, I can't begrudge a man for running Garfield like the company it is, plus he's pretty easy going when it comes to parodies of his work and stuff like that...

This discussion has been closed.