As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    PoP just got an update yesterday too, in case you needed more prodding.

Otherwise I also enjoy, Perisno and 1257 Enhanced Edition (a continuation of the original Anno Domini). Persino and 1257 get regular updates and have both been updated rather recently (June/May).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah, if it’s been a couple of years since you last played PoP, then they have added a lot since then.

• Options
    GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    Not like you guys gotta twist my arm or anything. I hope my Ravenstern Rangers are still top dog.

• Options
    GuildNav wrote: »
    Not like you guys gotta twist my arm or anything. I hope my Ravenstern Rangers are still top dog.

RRs are still awesome, and are the best archers for general usage, but there's a Ravenstern lord who has Iceguard Rangers in his personal guard, which are RRs + a couple levels with better bows and a guaranteed 1h / shield combo; you can occasionally recruit a handful of them from Ramun the Slave Trader in Singal.

And, of course, the Silvermist Rangers sometimes exist. And you can sometimes recruit Noldorim.

When last you played, were you able to create your own Knighthood Order?

• Options
    Haven't watched it yet, but here's 20ish minutes of gameplay from the closed beta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ7SCHZWevI

Taleworlds apologizes for the lack of skill displayed by their community manager. :D

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm still salty about not getting a dev diary last week. :P

• Options
    So, a few weeks ago, they posted a Devblog on sieges, wherein they talked about the options you might have a defender or someone attempting to help the defender, and one interesting new tidbit was that you could leverage your Tactics skill to either stage a breakout (thereby saving most of your army by fighting against a smaller detachment of besiegers) or a break-in, bringing in additional troops and supplies. Alternatively, if you're outside the siege, you could ambush foragers and reinforcements, hoping to starve out the besieging army.

Well, last week's update was Sieges: Part Deux, which goes into the mechanics of siege machines and how they play out on the world map.

When in control of a siege, you can actually place your machines and they'll attack whatever is closest, allowing you to, e.g., focus your ballista (good against troops, bad against fortifications) on one section of the wall, or to retreat a damage trebuchet before it is destroyed.

Here's an example siege:

jg5obtvpqgkq.png

Items of note:
    • There are six attacking lords - you can tell because each attacking lord gets his or her own tent-with-banner (two to the left, four in the middle), with a troop strength of 694
    • The attacker has completed two trebuchets (strong against walls and opposing engines), one ballista (good against troops), and one catapult for ranged engagements
    • Both attacking trebuchets (very powerful, but also expensive and relatively slow to build) have taken significant damage from ...
    • The defenders' four catapults, two of which are damaged but which might be winning the DPS race against the trebuchets
    • The defenders' walls are in good repair, but have taken some damage from the attacking trebuchets and catapult
    • The attacker has prepped a siege tower and a battering ram (bottom left and right, respectively) which do nothing during the ranged-weapons-duel, but would be brought forward when an assault is ordered

There are other interesting things in the article, too. :)

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCk6Jk7DvrA

March 2020. Early access. Not finished after 8 years but it is happening. Woo.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Not quite as soon as I'd hoped, but at least we have a date now!

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Watching that guy on the horse in the middle of the frame in the forest at about 0:06 just THONK into a tree makes me bizarrely happy. Moments where the AI just do bizarre things are just so hilarious in the original M&B, I'm glad to see that's coming along for the ride.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I had a feeling I'd be buying this sometime early next year.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Oh my god it’s coming 😯

• Options
    edited August 2019
    http://beta.taleworlds.com/

You can sign up for the closed multiplayer beta.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    From this week's blog summarizing Gamescom:
    At the beginning of the week, we made the announcement that the game will be launched on Steam Early Access in March 2020. It wasn’t our intention for Bannerlord to launch exactly 10 years after our previous game, Mount & Blade: Warband, was released, however, we do find it to be a rather amusing coincidence nevertheless! Alongside this announcement, we opened up a web form for people to apply to take part in Bannerlord’s ongoing closed-beta, which, by the way, is still open: beta.taleworlds.com

Like, that can't be right. That would be fuckin' insane if Bannerlord was basically 10 years old.

And yet.
    e1vm0o2khbf3.png

It is.

Holy shit.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    From this week's blog summarizing Gamescom:
    At the beginning of the week, we made the announcement that the game will be launched on Steam Early Access in March 2020. It wasn’t our intention for Bannerlord to launch exactly 10 years after our previous game, Mount & Blade: Warband, was released, however, we do find it to be a rather amusing coincidence nevertheless! Alongside this announcement, we opened up a web form for people to apply to take part in Bannerlord’s ongoing closed-beta, which, by the way, is still open: beta.taleworlds.com

Like, that can't be right. That would be fuckin' insane if Bannerlord was basically 10 years old.

And yet.
    e1vm0o2khbf3.png

It is.

Holy shit.

Feels even older than that to me, but I got started on vanilla pre-release M&B back in like 2005-2006.

• Options
    ~1/2 an hour of single-player footage from Gamescom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvkZ4RaYSE8

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Inject this into my veins. In. To. My. Veins.

Then I go look for a release date and remember why I avoid this channel.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, the siege footage - with the engines firing, and the breastworks - is really damn sexy.

ED: Also, the whole "Your lords form an army, and they follow you, and they don't go haring off when enemies appear" is fucking magnificient. The "army dance" was my least favorite part of lategame M&B.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I never really got into endgame in M&B.
    I played the viking map, and around the time i stopped playing, i was in a loop of build an army, run a loop trading for money, loose army for a huge bandit army, build an army, repeat...
    I never could get an army big enough to actually do anything beyond fighting bandits or attacking poorly defended settlements, but it was incredibly easy to rebuild once i was down to me and couple followers.

• Options
    Yeah, the siege footage - with the engines firing, and the breastworks - is really damn sexy.

ED: Also, the whole "Your lords form an army, and they follow you, and they don't go haring off when enemies appear" is fucking magnificient. The "army dance" was my least favorite part of lategame M&B.

The Lords: "My liege! Their army outnumbers ours 2 to 1!"
    Me: "Yeah, they're all a bunch of poorly trained conscripts while our army is made up of elite battle harden knights. Twenty of our guys could kill the whole lot of em so don't worry about it."
    The Lords: "IT'S EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!!!"

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

The Lords: "My liege! Their army outnumbers ours 2 to 1!"
    Me: "Yeah, they're all a bunch of poorly trained conscripts while our army is made up of elite battle harden knights. Twenty of our guys could kill the whole lot of em so don't worry about it."
    The Lords: "IT'S EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!!!"

Yeah, the hump isn't getting a big army- it's getting a big enough army of the best units you can get your hands on who can go through anything less than their equal like butter

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I could never catch anyone once I'd built a big army. Everything seemed just slightly faster than I was, so actually fighting and levelling (and looting, and thus being able to pay for my army) was always just out of reach.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I could never catch anyone once I'd built a big army. Everything seemed just slightly faster than I was, so actually fighting and levelling (and looting, and thus being able to pay for my army) was always just out of reach.

Big armies are for sieges and war. My wandering around to do stuff army was much smaller with a lot of the fodder and slower units left in a garrison somewhere. When it was siege time it didn't matter much how slowly I moved. Enemy lords would hole up at a settlement and the settlement wasn't going to outrun me.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Hmm, very cool video overall. Love the siege mechanics.

When the player went to create a new character though, it just showed three possible characters. I'm hoping that was just for the preview build, I'd hate to have to play with a preset character.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yeah, those are just the pregens that they’ve had for the demos.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

The simple answer is pathfinding, but the AI doesn't typically have it so high that it results in being unable to fight equally sized forces. It's probably the most useful skill in the game for the reasons you described though -- it lets you as a bigger army catch up to smaller armies. Even without much in pathfinding though, you should be able to find similar strength armies slower than you. If not you're most likely don't have any or enough cavalry -- they move faster on the map and a more cavalry heavy army will move faster than an infantry heavy one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

The simple answer is pathfinding, but the AI doesn't typically have it so high that it results in being unable to fight equally sized forces. It's probably the most useful skill in the game for the reasons you described though -- it lets you as a bigger army catch up to smaller armies. Even without much in pathfinding though, you should be able to find similar strength armies slower than you. If not you're most likely don't have any or enough cavalry -- they move faster on the map and a more cavalry heavy army will move faster than an infantry heavy one.

You can also keep extra horses in your inventory to speed up your party, IIRC. I think it was up to 6.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Looks like the Steam page is saying they have an expected release date of March 2020. Which means that period at the end of Q1 2020 is going to be truly insane for games that I'm hyper-pumped about.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    For some odd reason, i have now installed this game again.
    The controls are even worse than i remembered.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Massena wrote: »
    Looks like the Steam page is saying they have an expected release date of March 2020. Which means that period at the end of Q1 2020 is going to be truly insane for games that I'm hyper-pumped about.

Come March wallets everywhere will cry out in unison and then be silenced.

The Jedi are really gonna feel this one.

• Options
    I'm pretty exited to see what they have done with the UI/controls as well as AI and pathfinding, really need to take time to see some of the videos people have linked.
    Mount and Blade Warband has such a solid core to it, that even with the controls and AI it remains an enjoyable game to this day.
    I've spent several hour in the last two days just running around trying to make the payroll (and gotten to a point where i'm almost getting there just from my investments, though my army is kinda small so that's not impressive).
    I have not even touched sieges, or gotten involved with politics, and still i am enjoying myself just running being, less a band of mercenaries, and more a very heavily armed trade caravan.

• Options
    So this just happened:

813k9o153skq.png

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Unfortunately the Singleplayer button is disabled on the launcher. :cry:

I haven't gotten to actually play it yet, but I did mess around in the menus a little. The character customization screen is much better this time around, though the options look mostly the same. You can't modify body beyond height, but I think it looks pretty good. The hair and beard options are quite nice.

There are 2 modes available, Captain mode where you control an AI army against another player doing the same, and skirmish? mode, I think, where it's the usual mass player teams against each other. You start at level 1 for the mp, whatever that means. I'll play it some tomorrow, and hopefully won't get destroyed too much by high level players. I don't really have a lot of interest in the multiplayer, but it should give me a decent idea of how the game will play.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    So this just happened:

813k9o153skq.png

Just got mine through! Woop!

On a related note, curse my slow broadband!

• Options
    I had bought Mount & Blade years and years ago (04-06?). It was $5 at the time and being made by like one dude. Even including MMOs I don’t think I’ve ever put so much time in to one game.

I remember years back I had lost my cd-key/account and couldn’t redownload the game. So I emailed the guy who was working on the game and explained my situation asking if there was anyway to recover my cd-key/account. In a few days he emailed me back a new cd-key. No questions asked, no proof of purchase necessary. That was pretty great.

So suffice it to say I am very excited for Bannerlord.

• Options
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    575c9g8298cd.png

• Options
    I played the beta a little before RDR2 released, and while I enjoyed the changes to combat, in the end it was still pvp, which I don't really enjoy. Spawn, hit someone, die, spawn, hit someone, die, spawn hit someone in the back, still die. I was too scared to try the army mode because I'd have no idea what I'm doing and it sounded like you'd be on a team with someone.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    There's already a conversion mod for Bannerlord II under way to turn it into Bersia from Kingdom Under Fire, which I wholeheartedly support as I really like that game, and disappointed with the KuF MMO.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Well it's definitely a lot of fun! I am remembering why I hardly played the multiplayer though, holy hell it's hard! Definitely need to get my timing down again.

There also seems to be a slight lack of game servers, consistent "queues" of 20 odd players seems like a strange problem to have for a MP game >_< Perhaps they didn't want to want to spend too much on the beta.

edit: record scratch Holy fuck, why was I playing skirmish when captain mode existed. THIS IS AMAZING HOLY SHIT! The controls aren't that hard to figure out, I had basic control of my troops in a couple of rounds.

Campy on
  • Options
    Initial impression of skirmish mode: Hell. Fucking. Yes. Empire is my JAM; Legionary + Pila = Awesome.