As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Zero Factor

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Zero Factor

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    A streamer I used to watch occasionally on twitch jumped ship for beam, as it was then. I wish him all the best, but I only tend to catch him now if he dual casts to twitch. He was certainly getting better latency on beam, and some of the features seemed neat. But maybe we're all too entrenched in our ways...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I actually said yesterday in chat that Mike was the pioneer for his mixer streams!

Honestly I actually like Mixer as a platform it has a lot of neat features I'd like more streamers to move toward. And Twitch having actual competition would only be a positive since they've done pretty much a wet fart for supporting streamers recently.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I really want to read the newspost to find out how much of this was based on an actual conversation.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I really want to read the newspost to find out how much of this was based on an actual conversation.

I doubt Mike talks to Ninja..

• Options

I dunno PA is pretty big in the gaming world, I'm sure if either side wanted to someone could arrange that chat. I mean Ninja is a big name right now with some public stuff, but PA is an institution in the gaming industry.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno PA is pretty big in the gaming world, I'm sure if either side wanted to someone could arrange that chat. I mean Ninja is a big name right now with some public stuff, but PA is an institution in the gaming industry.

Oh I'm not saying they couldn't communicate if they for some reason wanted to.

I'm saying they seem to be in extremely different worlds and Mike isn't exactly known to be the kind of guy to go out there trying to meet big personalities.

• Options
    edited August 2019

Ah, that's supposed to be a Ninja? Ok, then.

I just assumed it was another Mixer streamer.

dennis on
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Yea it's a joke because that's the big streaming news right now that Ninja just moved over there from twitch.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    Did Gabe stain Ninja's shirt with his hand sweat?

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • Options

Yea it's a joke because that's the big streaming news right now that Ninja just moved over there from twitch.

Dammit, Google, why aren't you delivering the IMPORTANT news to me?? Trump, schmump. I need to know about the STREAMERS.

Personally, I don't get really popular streamers. One of the main things I like about streams is interacting with the people streaming and with the regulars in chat. That's what I usually get with PA streams or the occasional Amy stream. But I accidentally left twitch open during a C-Team stream (which I normally podcast because it's during my workday) and saw the scrolling insanity even there. At that point, it really ceases to be a "a stream" in my eyes and just becomes "a video."

• Options
    Personality or skill is why you would watch a mega streamer over a smaller more artisanal one. Shit sometimes no one you like is on but you want to watch someone so you look at a main page person and go "sure why not?"

Some of the bigger people will also have like a party chat to amuse you so its not just listening to one person rattle on. I also know big streamers like Cohcarnage has his mods finding good comments to respond to so he can still game but not lose the personal interaction.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    <Obligatory statement about being old and not understanding all this streaming discussion>

Seriously though, I wonder if Ninja is still modest/humble enough to think, "Sweet! I just appeared in a Penny Arcade strip!"

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular

Dammit, Google, why aren't you delivering the IMPORTANT news to me?? Trump, schmump. I need to know about the STREAMERS.

Personally, I don't get really popular streamers. One of the main things I like about streams is interacting with the people streaming and with the regulars in chat. That's what I usually get with PA streams or the occasional Amy stream. But I accidentally left twitch open during a C-Team stream (which I normally podcast because it's during my workday) and saw the scrolling insanity even there. At that point, it really ceases to be a "a stream" in my eyes and just becomes "a video."

Same!

• Options
    Personality or skill is why you would watch a mega streamer over a smaller more artisanal one. Shit sometimes no one you like is on but you want to watch someone so you look at a main page person and go "sure why not?"

Some of the bigger people will also have like a party chat to amuse you so its not just listening to one person rattle on. I also know big streamers like Cohcarnage has his mods finding good comments to respond to so he can still game but not lose the personal interaction.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't get them as a stream. To me, at that point, they just become another video to watch whenever. Not really as much of a compelling reason to watch them live while actually streaming. They just get put on the pile of the other video content I might watch and slotted into the priority queue algorithm like any other pre-recorded stuff.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

What I'm trying to say is that I don't get them as a stream. To me, at that point, they just become another video to watch whenever. Not really as much of a compelling reason to watch them live while actually streaming. They just get put on the pile of the other video content I might watch and slotted into the priority queue algorithm like any other pre-recorded stuff.

What I think this misses (and it may not be something that matters to you) is that for a decent number of people, they enjoy being part of that person's "community" and more directly chatting with each other -- occasionally interacting with the streamer. I have occasionally thought of streams like IRC channels where the main moderator has their webcam running all the time. Some people will drop in to lurk on the gaming; some will be there to chat with other people with similar interests.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

What I think this misses (and it may not be something that matters to you) is that for a decent number of people, they enjoy being part of that person's "community" and more directly chatting with each other -- occasionally interacting with the streamer. I have occasionally thought of streams like IRC channels where the main moderator has their webcam running all the time. Some people will drop in to lurk on the gaming; some will be there to chat with other people with similar interests.

The thing is that a lot of these chats move too fast for people to actually interact with each other. People's attempts to react to each other just get lost in the wall of reactions.

Like, I watch, say, LaurenTheFlute's streams, and since there's like thirty people there, we can chat with each other and Lauren with no issue. Sometimes the gameplay stops as she and the chat sit down for a dicussion on, like, sentience and personhood (she was playing Talos Principle recently, see). sometimes two people in the chat go on a tangent while she's getting murdered by a boss talking to each other. But on a big stream by the time you've been able to write a response to Dude 1 his question is two pages away and there's a 50% chance he won't even see your response!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

The thing is that a lot of these chats move too fast for people to actually interact with each other. People's attempts to react to each other just get lost in the wall of reactions.

Like, I watch, say, LaurenTheFlute's streams, and since there's like thirty people there, we can chat with each other and Lauren with no issue. Sometimes the gameplay stops as she and the chat sit down for a dicussion on, like, sentience and personhood (she was playing Talos Principle recently, see). sometimes two people in the chat go on a tangent while she's getting murdered by a boss talking to each other. But on a big stream by the time you've been able to write a response to Dude 1 his question is two pages away and there's a 50% chance he won't even see your response!

Yeah, other than OverWatch league, where I hide the chat, the only streams I really do anything in are LaurenTheFlutes and Super Soul Bros, since you can actually talk with folk there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

As other people have pointed out, you're echoing my original post. Scroll up and check it out. Summary: streams where you can actually interact with the streamers and chat are ones I enjoy being part of. Ones with non-stop scroll where it's just taking into a void - not so much.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What is Mixer doing that is so appealing to long-time streamers like Mike and Ninja?

Bonus question: Why is Ninja so popular? He doesn't seem particularly entertaining or special compared to any other streamers, at least not from the <10 minutes I tuned into his stream one time to see what all the fuss was about.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What is Mixer doing that is so appealing to long-time streamers like Mike and Ninja?

Mike (and to some degree Jerry) have gone over that in several posts. For one, it's a post-stream streaming site. In that it was built AFTER a lot of the streaming culture was established. That means the technology is designed from the ground up to facilitate it, rather than it being bolted on top. Imagine if they built a new crowdfunding website, only they made stretch goals (no matter what your opinion of them is) an inherent part of the user interface both for managing campaigns as well as participating in them.

You can find more nitty gritty details in those news posts. Just do a google search for: "mixer" site:penny-arcade.com/news/
    Bonus question: Why is Ninja so popular? He doesn't seem particularly entertaining or special compared to any other streamers, at least not from the <10 minutes I tuned into his stream one time to see what all the fuss was about.

To some degree, why is any "personality" popular? It's an old question, and ultimately either impossible or really hard to answer. Maybe an AI will eventually be able to understand these things.