As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What happens to the old 8th edition codexes. Are they useless now?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    New attack rule will be great for my deathwatch. Yes I would like an extra attack with my heavy thunder hammer, thank-you very much.

The post says the new units will be available for all first founding and successor chapters... does that mean Deathwatch and Grey Knights as well?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Assault Marines are still fast attack so why not just spend 1 extra point per model and get vanguard veterans who have base 2 attack and better gear options.

If assault Marines were troops then we'd be talking.

I thought Blood Angels got them as troops? Honestly, that's one thing I miss from the way Chapter Tactics/et al were handled in previous editions - stuff like Noise Marines should just become Troops if you take Emperor's Children and give everything the Mark of Slaanesh.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    New attack rule will be great for my deathwatch. Yes I would like an extra attack with my heavy thunder hammer, thank-you very much.

The post says the new units will be available for all first founding and successor chapters... does that mean Deathwatch and Grey Knights as well?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/03/apocalypse-mega-battle-and-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
    ...before you ask, yes, as Adeptus Astartes, the Grey Knights and Deathwatch will also receive this updated ability

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Monwyn wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Assault Marines are still fast attack so why not just spend 1 extra point per model and get vanguard veterans who have base 2 attack and better gear options.

If assault Marines were troops then we'd be talking.

I thought Blood Angels got them as troops? Honestly, that's one thing I miss from the way Chapter Tactics/et al were handled in previous editions - stuff like Noise Marines should just become Troops if you take Emperor's Children and give everything the Mark of Slaanesh.

Nooooooooope. BA lost ASM as Troops and its legitimately the reason I stopped playing again after coming back for a brief stint in 8th.

Anyone wanna buy some Blood Angels and/or Dark Angels? :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nice little buff for Plague Marines! I think the melee variants are objectively good now. The bolter variant is definitely BETTER, but not necessarily sold on their effectiveness yet... hmm.

This DOES breathe new life into some of the support characters. The Tallyman is now pretty solid because he let's melee reroll, and of the 3 others, only the Plague Surgeon still seems "meh".

Both terminator variants are better now.

Ha! I just realized Mortarion gets an extra attack from this, too.

No-Quarter on
    Sharp101 wrote: »

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/03/apocalypse-mega-battle-and-warhammer-40000-previewgw-homepage-post-1/
    ...before you ask, yes, as Adeptus Astartes, the Grey Knights and Deathwatch will also receive this updated ability

I know the ability applies, but what about the new vanguard units?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Sharp101 wrote: »

I know the ability applies, but what about the new vanguard units?

Oh, I misread what you asked.

I dont think so, no. Maybe Deathwatch but I think these are going to stay with regular marines. They would have said in the post if they did IMO.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Deathwatch seem pretty pick-and-choosey with what units they port over. Basically anything that would require additional rules via mixed squads and SIA is probably going to have to wait for a new Deathwatch codex. The Impulsor is the only thing I can see getting a quick port like the Executioner did.

website_header.jpg
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I guess this will be a thing?

"** Yes, that includes Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels! Have you ever wanted to carry Bjorn the Fell-Handed or Murderfang to battle using a Stormraven Gunship? Well, now you can!"

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    A friend of mine is looking to unload his Space Marine BFG fleet. I didn't realize he had so much!

gsc9FBg.jpg?1

(PM me if interested)

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I heard a rumor that after Aeronautica Imperialis they'll be re-releasing Battlefleet Gothic. Your friend may want to check up on that, if true they'd presumably be worth more in the future with a live game.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's up for preorder next week odd?

edited August 2019
    This space marine codex feels weird. It sounds like I'll finally be able to use Centurians and Ironclad Dreadnoughts but I also feel weirdly uneasy about the whole thing.

Edit: The part at the end of the pre order article for space marines I quoted is gone now. This part, "** Yes, that includes Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Dark Angels! Have you ever wanted to carry Bjorn the Fell-Handed or Murderfang to battle using a Stormraven Gunship? Well, now you can!" was deleted.

That is interesting.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Also litanies of hate for chaplains? So they get similar things to the new dark apostles now?

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The card pack lists "7 Litanies of Battle", so.. yeah, I'd expect pretty much exactly the same sort of "priest spells" that the dark apostle got.
    Also listed are "three Combat Doctrines " cards, which is interesting. There was rumors going around about space marines getting to pick an army wide special rule, similar to the deathwatch chapter tactic. I think +1AP was floated around, along with some others (RR1's for armour saves?)

website_header.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Shit, just thought about how I can use all these models I've always wanted to use and how my brother's Death Guard still can't use greater possessed and other cool stuff.

This blatant and dirty cash grab is working on me. Gotta get the thunderfire cannon, ironclad dreadnought, and centurions.

Stragint on

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Guyyyyyyyys!

I wanna talk about Deathguarddddd!

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Played another NoVA practice game today. First NoVA stop changing the god damn fucking rules. It changes so much in the last few days. Killing me.

I played my CSM list verse a nid list. This was the first real game verse Nids in 8th. I play them once in a 3 way narrative where I ran Fabius Bile so not a great test.

First lessons learned:
    I messed up my secondaries. Probably cost me 5 or more points this game I could have gotten 3 just killing gargoyles. And one from the hive guard I killed and just anything not engineers.

My MVPs:
    1. Lord Discordants- This things ripped through everything. Lived through the equivalent of 16 hive guard shooting them every turn. It was nuts. Killed easily their points or more in enemies. Everything thing they touched died and they touched a lot.
    2. My psyhic bros-The T-Son detachment (Ahirman, a sorc, a DP) did their job. Casted a bunch of powers. Didn't perils (a first). And if I was smart should have killed more.
    3. Helturkey-Killed nothing lived through an entire turn of shooting absorbing the enemy lists entire firepower. (See below on him)

My face-palm units:
    1.Helturkey for exploding on death dealing 8 mortal wounds to my own units across 3 units and only 1 mortal wound to a hive tyrant who killed it.
    2.Me and forgetting small things like my DP has a 4++ not a 5++. This may have saved him to punch back and kill a big nid.
    3. Me for not being aggressive enough. My army will not live most games I know this. I need to push out harder and harder to take the board and punish people. This is important.

Still a fun game. Have a small tourney next week. (pains furiously)

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Something that caught my eye from the preorder preview of the new Space Marine Codex:
    If you’re picking up one, or both, of the codex supplements, don’t forget to grab the accompanying Datacards. Each set features all of their Chapter’s bespoke Tactical Objectives and Stratagems, as well as the seven psychic power cards from the Indomitus discipline (Ultramarines) and Stormspeaking discipline (White Scars).

Each Chapter is going to get their own objectives and psychic powers now, and multiple stratagems? That sounds like a pretty huge change for the game as a whole, especially if other factions wind up getting Codex supplements like this down the line .

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Something that caught my eye from the preorder preview of the new Space Marine Codex:
    If you’re picking up one, or both, of the codex supplements, don’t forget to grab the accompanying Datacards. Each set features all of their Chapter’s bespoke Tactical Objectives and Stratagems, as well as the seven psychic power cards from the Indomitus discipline (Ultramarines) and Stormspeaking discipline (White Scars).

Each Chapter is going to get their own objectives and psychic powers now, and multiple stratagems? That sounds like a pretty huge change for the game as a whole, especially if other factions wind up getting Codex supplements like this down the line .

Also some sort of thing called combat doctrines.

Talking to a friend of mine who is under the testing NDA, he helps run NoVA, he was vague but he said Marines are getting a whole new feel much closer to the fluff.

It will be waved based.

First wave will be the scouts/infiltrators. Then a wall of shooting. Then a wall of power armor and close combat attacks. It is a very different way of playing. And all marines (chaos and loyalist) will get a lot of the buffs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Guyyyyyyyys!

I wanna talk about Deathguarddddd!

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tell me about death guard

So they put up more info on the new codex:
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/04/pre-order-preview-the-adeptus-astartes/

Not a huge fan of the sub-codex codices but GW gonna GW

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Reivers with AP or Mortal Wounds in melee or no sale!
    Yeah right, I’m setting an alarm to buy that preorder collectors set because I have no morals.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What is it that makes lords discordant on helstalkers so good exactly?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

They are fast moving easily buffable models with a huge number of attacks that deal a large amount of damage. They’re basically the ideal melee unit.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Played another NoVA practice game today. First NoVA stop changing the god damn fucking rules. It changes so much in the last few days. Killing me.

I played my CSM list verse a nid list. This was the first real game verse Nids in 8th. I play them once in a 3 way narrative where I ran Fabius Bile so not a great test.

First lessons learned:
    I messed up my secondaries. Probably cost me 5 or more points this game I could have gotten 3 just killing gargoyles. And one from the hive guard I killed and just anything not engineers.

My MVPs:
    1. Lord Discordants- This things ripped through everything. Lived through the equivalent of 16 hive guard shooting them every turn. It was nuts. Killed easily their points or more in enemies. Everything thing they touched died and they touched a lot.
    2. My psyhic bros-The T-Son detachment (Ahirman, a sorc, a DP) did their job. Casted a bunch of powers. Didn't perils (a first). And if I was smart should have killed more.
    3. Helturkey-Killed nothing lived through an entire turn of shooting absorbing the enemy lists entire firepower. (See below on him)

My face-palm units:
    1.Helturkey for exploding on death dealing 8 mortal wounds to my own units across 3 units and only 1 mortal wound to a hive tyrant who killed it.
    2.Me and forgetting small things like my DP has a 4++ not a 5++. This may have saved him to punch back and kill a big nid.
    3. Me for not being aggressive enough. My army will not live most games I know this. I need to push out harder and harder to take the board and punish people. This is important.

Still a fun game. Have a small tourney next week. (pains furiously)

I know this is probably a typo, but given that you play CSM…

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    edited August 2019
    Yeah right, I’m setting an alarm to buy that preorder collectors set because I have no morals.

The Reivers have such awesome looking models but as a Space Wolves player I could never take them over my Wulfen.

Not even sure what they could do to make Reivers playable for me.

Ill.probably buy that new KT starter for the terrain and special Space Wolves stuff for KT. Plus I need 10 more Tau warriors and that will get me there plus terrain. This will also put me at 15 Reivers.

Stragint on

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

The Reivers have such awesome looking models but as a Space Wolves player I could never take them over my Wulfen.

Ill.probably buy that new KT starter for the terrain and special Space Wolves stuff for KT. Plus I need 10 more Tau warriors and that will get me there plus terrain. This will also put me at 15 Reivers.

My brother just uses them in games as harassment
    In kill team arena it's become bloodthirsty games with them

Brainleech wrote: »

My brother just uses them in games as harassment
    In kill team arena it's become bloodthirsty games with them

That is pretty much my plan for them. Just none of my friends are interested in KT which is a bummer. At least I have a ton of terrain because of it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/05/battle-sister-bulletin-part-13-leading-from-the-frontgw-homepage-post-2/

Canoness preview. Except for the collar I like her. Especially that the designer gave her an older looking face.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

They are fast moving easily buffable models with a huge number of attacks that deal a large amount of damage. They’re basically the ideal melee unit.

Gonna have to add some of those to the shopping list

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    What happens to the old 8th edition codexes. Are they useless now?

Collectors items. Still fun for the fluff and art, but as a rules book? Yep, outdated and pointless for the most part.

I'll be pre-ordering the codex, Ultramarines supplement and card sets this weekend when they go up. Not a huge pre-order guy, but these are effectively essential to me continuing to use my army (and possibly improve on it, which is the big hope).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I don't think Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Deathwatch, or Grey Knights are going to get supplements. It seems like supplements are going to be just for Space Marines chapters without a codex.

Still gonna need that updated generic Space Marines codex though.

I also wonder how the 1 codex rule for the annual 50 PL 40k tournament will handle this at my LGS.

I don't think Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Deathwatch, or Grey Knights are going to get supplements. It seems like supplements are going to be just for Space Marines chapters without a codex.

Still gonna need that updated generic Space Marines codex though.

I also wonder how the 1 codex rule for the annual 50 PL 40k tournament will handle this at my LGS.

All those factions are technically codex supplements already. The front cover of the Space Wolf book says Codex Adeptus Astartes: Space Wolves, for instance.

They said all of the first founding chapters will get supplements. So Ultramarines and White Scars are first, Imperial Fists are certainly coming, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves are all first founding chapters.

Grey Knights and Deathwatch are the only real question marks.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I wonder if they're holding back that Iron Father model for an IH supplement. They showed it off back in May but haven't mentioned it since.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    They said all of the first founding chapters will get supplements. So Ultramarines and White Scars are first, Imperial Fists are certainly coming, Dark Angels, Blood Angels and Space Wolves are all first founding chapters.

Grey Knights have to be pretty high up on the list for a revised book given how weak they're widely considered to be.

Burnage wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Grey Knights have to be pretty high up on the list for a revised book given how weak they're widely considered to be.

I think that's probably a fair assumption. My guess is that Deathwatch, if they get an updated supplement, will be one of the last, since they are in a good place. I can definitely see Grey Knights being one of the early uplifts to try and bring them in to some competitive balance.

I wonder if they're holding back that Iron Father model for an IH supplement. They showed it off back in May but haven't mentioned it since.

I wonder if this new Psychic Awakening thing (which I think is a new narrative campaign) will coincide with the next loyalist Primarch. The Lion, Russ and Rogal Dorn have all been speculated as the next returning Primarch. Would go hand in hand really nicely with a new campaign + new chapter supplement for whichever Primarch returns.

Of course I thought the big Slaanesh push earlier this year would bring with it an Emperor's Children codex and a Fulgrim Demon Primarch release, so what do I know.