As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Carnage - 31 Killed Between Mass Shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dayton victim demographics: 6 black, 3 white. Shooter's sister was one of the 3 white victims, obviously.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dayton victim demographics: 6 black, 3 white. Shooter's sister was one of the 3 white victims, obviously.
    Wait, does that mean her boyfriend wasn't white?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Tyson started getting cancelled quite some time ago for the sexual assault allegations and some other stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/04/three-mass-shootings-this-year-began-with-hateful-screed-chan-its-founder-calls-it-terrorist-refuge-plain-sight/
    “Once again, a terrorist used 8chan to spread his message as he knew people would save it and spread it,” Fredrick Brennan, who founded 8chan in 2013 but stopped working with the site’s owners in December, told The Washington Post. “The board is a receptive audience for domestic terrorists.”
    The site has survived, extremism experts said, in part due to a reluctance from some law-enforcement and intelligence officials to categorize white-supremacist and far-right movements as terrorism threats. The site has for years been shielded by U.S. laws that limit websites’ legal liability for what their users post and has been further protected by an Internet infrastructure that makes it difficult to take sites down.
    It is probably not helpful how many white supremacist law enforcement officials there are.

I mean, they took over law enforcement actively and intentionally.

• Options
    Police are now saying 30 seconds to neutralize the asshole in Dayton. And he still had 36 victims.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wait, does that mean her boyfriend wasn't white?

We don't know yet. The other white victims were young men, there were also black men her age among the deceased.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Tyson started getting cancelled quite some time ago for the sexual assault allegations and some other stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/04/three-mass-shootings-this-year-began-with-hateful-screed-chan-its-founder-calls-it-terrorist-refuge-plain-sight/
    “Once again, a terrorist used 8chan to spread his message as he knew people would save it and spread it,” Fredrick Brennan, who founded 8chan in 2013 but stopped working with the site’s owners in December, told The Washington Post. “The board is a receptive audience for domestic terrorists.”
    The site has survived, extremism experts said, in part due to a reluctance from some law-enforcement and intelligence officials to categorize white-supremacist and far-right movements as terrorism threats. The site has for years been shielded by U.S. laws that limit websites’ legal liability for what their users post and has been further protected by an Internet infrastructure that makes it difficult to take sites down.
    It is probably not helpful how many white supremacist law enforcement officials there are.

I mean, they took over law enforcement actively and intentionally.

Take over implies that it wasn't the original point, to some degree

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Police are now saying 30 seconds to neutralize the asshole in Dayton. And he still had 36 victims.

This sounds like bullshit. I don't see how you neutralize someone in 30 seconds after that many victims *and* take them alive. Barring his weapon jamming and the cops being surprisingly lenient like they always fucking seem to be toward these assholes.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This sounds like bullshit. I don't see how you neutralize someone in 30 seconds after that many victims *and* take them alive. Barring his weapon jamming and the cops being surprisingly lenient like they always fucking seem to be toward these assholes.

Dayton suspect is dead. They have video of THAT, which the Dayton police just showed at a press conference. And they showed separated surveillance footage where the whole thing is about 30 seconds, yeah.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Honestly, if that's how they want to play it *it only takes 30 seconds for these folks to have 36 victims* so even if the police are right freaking there they're still not stopping massacres.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The Dayton shooter wasn't taken alive.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It was the El Paso shooter that survived.

It’s so easy to confuse our mass shootings, since there’s so many of them.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Police clarifying: the man the sister was with is NOT one of the deceased, but he was shot. They also say she was not the first victim, but an "early victim."

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    At least the 8chan connection is getting more traction this time around. It popped up in some of the previous mass shootings, and due it popping up again and again it'll give people an easy target which might actually get law enforcement to do something.

And here's the NZ political cartoon take if anyone's interested.
    syTbKpDl.jpg?1

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity - when was the last of these incidents in the US carried out by a non-white person? 9/11?

Other than thoughts and prayers, nothing will happen - but I do hope the Democrats finally wake up a bit and make McConnell's life hell for the next few weeks with every little procedural fuckery they can conjure up.

• Options
    Basically it seems like we are tremendously lucky that there were a ton of police stationed (I think I saw at least six on the surveillance tape) in that area, he was killed just as he was trying to enter a pretty crowded bar.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity - when was the last of these incidents in the US carried out by a non-white person? 9/11?

Other than thoughts and prayers, nothing will happen - but I do hope the Democrats finally wake up a bit and make McConnell's life hell for the next few weeks with every little procedural fuckery they can conjure up.

There was a military base shooting and a work place party shooting that I recall off-hand.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options

San Bernardino, I think.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Pulse Nightclub is the one that springs to mind

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    My wife used to go that bar in Dayton when she was a student there :(

• Options
    I'm kind of confused by something the Dayton police chief was saying. I think it sounded like the shooter, his sister, and the "companion" who was wounded all came to the area together, separated, and then he started shooting and killed her early in the attack. But then CNN cut away because Trump landed back in DC.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm kind of confused by something the Dayton police chief was saying. I think it sounded like the shooter, his sister, and the "companion" who was wounded all came to the area together, separated, and then he started shooting and killed her early in the attack. But then CNN cut away because Trump landed back in DC.
    After a full round of golf by the way.

• Options
    He said "hate has no place in our country" in another example of a case where cognitive dissonance melting the human brain would be so useful.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, both San Bernadino and Pulse were perpetrated by non-white people. I was just wondering, cause everytime after an incident like this people go "imagine if this was a muslim/black/brown person doing this" and I went "wait, when actually did a non-white person commit something like this?".

I have nothing else. I wrote a few comments and deleted them again. It just - I am sorry, you guys have to go through this with such regularity. I am 41 years old and never in my life have I touched a proper gun, let alone fired one (except maybe an air gun). Or have been in the presence of a gun being fired. To think that in a supposedly civilized country, people are perpetually afraid to go about their everyday lives, is mind-boggling.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    He said "hate has no place in our country" in another example of a case where cognitive dissonance melting the human brain would be so useful.

Watching the difference between this president and his empty platitudes, and Obama with his "why the fuck does this keep happening?" sadness is like night and day. What won't be night and day is the nothing our government does. Probably ban video games.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Watching the difference between this president and his empty platitudes, and Obama with his "why the fuck does this keep happening?" sadness is like night and day. What won't be night and day is the nothing our government does. Probably ban video games.

Safe to say Trump won't be singing "Amazing Grace."

• Options
    Oh he also did the mental illness bullshit.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    It is long past time we do what the right wing gun nuts have always been so scared of us doing: take the guns

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

With Trump, I’m not sure what way to interpret this statement.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Stick to talking about black holes Neil.

Shut up and dribble?

Frankly I don't think this is comparable at all to Laura Ingram telling LeBron James not to criticize the president

• Options

With Trump, I’m not sure what way to interpret this statement.

The real problem is mental illness, nothing else. Which we will do exactly nothing to help with, which is how you know I am just saying this to dodge the gun issue.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah even when liberals agree and are like "ok lets do something about that!" They go "Umm well no we can't do that either..."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

Shut up and dribble?

Frankly I don't think this is comparable at all to Laura Ingram telling LeBron James not to criticize the president

Why? You're telling a black entertainer to stay in their lane instead of talk about politics.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Shut up and dribble?

Why? You're telling a black entertainer to stay in their lane instead of talk about politics.

I'd tell a white genius to stop saying stupid things outside of their field too

hell, anyone really.

edit: or rather, I guess say what you want, but you're wrong and sound like an ass. (not you, Tyson (in this case))

Xaquin on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The problem can't be guns, and it certainly can't possibly be the hate-filled rhetoric the President of the United States has been spouting on a daily basis. Maybe it was immigratio- oh wait, the shooters were white.

It was probably videogames to blame. We should tax them more.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah even when liberals agree and are like "ok lets do something about that!" They go "Umm well no we can't do that either..."

“Sure, let’s do something about mental illness. Let’s create universal healthcare, and get these guys the care they need!”

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Shut up and dribble?

There are substantive arguments to make as to why guns aren't the problem, or even that mass shootings aren't as terrible as we might think. I have never found the arguments compelling, but I have seen people offer data to support their argument. That is not what's being offered in that tweet. It is a blanket dismissal of 36 murders as not a big deal cause people die all the time. The most charitable read I can imagine is that he is being tone deaf and didn't mean to minimize the massive suffering the families of the victims and survivors are going through.

I am going to have to check out the new DSM. My copy doesn't seem to include Randomly Shoots A Bunch Of People For No Reason as a diagnosis. Maybe it is in the back. Until then I think I am going to stick with my assertion that being super racist isn't mental illness. It's being an awful human being. Therapy can help with that, but it requires admitting what the problem actually is.

• Options
    "Video games are to blame because they promote guns, btw guns are good actually," says Republicans.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular

Shut up and dribble?

No, I'm expecting a scientist to not misrepresent statistics to try and rationalize away another national tragedy, especially when the benefit to society to do so is seemingly nonexistent (LeBron was there to talk about his school and the good it was doing for his community and got asked a question, Tyson seemingly is whatabouting insensitively for clicks)

• Options
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

This is absolutely dumb. American citizens are murdered in Mexico (between Jun2017 and Jun2018 half of all AMCITS murdered outside of the US were murdered in Mexico) and it would be just as dumb for the SecState to announce that the US was taking "legal action against Mexico for failing to protect US citizens in Mexico".

NSDFRand on
This discussion has been closed.