As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I dunno if this is the right thread for this, but I helped my mom build a bench out of leftover wood. Using powertools. And it went well. And it's quite sturdy.
    NQOBubD.jpg

Yes, yes I do feel manlier than I did this morning.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »
    Progress. Next I am going to use fabric-safe glue to tack down the loosest string edges (if I can find some) and then I have some heat bond I'm going to iron onto the back. My friend likely won't iron it onto her jacket, but that way she'd have the option.

Once I have that done I'm going to cut around the patch leaving a few millimeters of the cloth, and then whipstitch around the sides to make a clean border. I'm hoping the last few steps go as well as I envision them, because I'm pretty happy with how this came out and want to make more patches in the future.

0j3bdjrwec5n.png

I love this so much

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So I made another board for a family that hosted a group this summer.
    The epoxy was a bit thinner than I'd like, but I think looks kinda cool.

PSN: jfrofl
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Well, my first go at Kitchen towels are off the loom and while they're not perfect, they are serviceable. And I learned how to work with the material and how to better my next set.

Now i've got a thin warp of doubled up cotton on the loom and I'm making small squares to use as facecloths/washcloths. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with a good dozen of these cloths.

If this works out well, then I'll have a good direction to go in for some teacher gifts, or even some saleable items (maybe? Maybe. I need to get better though).

I am absolutely loving this process. I'm learning heaps of new techniques, practicing the basics, and making myself reusable items to have around the house to replace the multitude of things that we just use and then toss away. I'm creating household items and getting to exercise my creativity at the same time.

I'm quite excited about it.

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    All done. Gosh this takes forever but I'm pleased with it.
    21kfslmxp33q.png

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Not gonna lie, that is super badass.

ED: Applies equally well to both of the above posts!

Elvenshae on
    For anyone who cross stitches or is at all interested in starting, Steotchalong starts up here pretty soon.

Video talking about what it is:
    https://www.facebook.com/Steotch/videos/672378983226372/
    The site:
    http://steotch.com/mystery-stitchalong/
    Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/Steotch

Basically it's a mystery cross stitch-along that anyone can join along with. Everyone is given a list of thread to get and then is given a piece of a pattern once a week for 11 weeks and cross stitches along without knowing what it is they are working on. There's usually some customization options along the way I think (this is my first year taking part), but the final result is a mystery. People post pics in the group along the way, I think there's often teams you can join for funnsies (or doing it solo is also fine). Some past pattern examples (not my work, if you google image search you can see more):
    Zlt2BdW.png

It looks like a lot of fun and the person who runs it says that everything is really newbie friendly, too. Let's cross stitch, my dudes.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I need to finish my junimo towel!

Janson wrote: »
    I need to finish my junimo towel!

ooh, I don't think I saw the pics for that if you posted any of them

vmn6rftb232b.png
    I just put a new warp on the loom! Gonna make more kitchen towels!

OH hey

So there's been a huge ongoing discussion around race, gender, inclusion, equity, etc in the fibre community for several months now. There have been some unfortunate casualties and incidents that I don't really know all the details of. But a yarn company that makes some Gorgeous yarns (Brooklyn Tweed) has just put out a new statement, a list of their goals and plans, and pledges and I am legit crying my eyes out.

https://brooklyntweed.com/pages/equity-inclusion?fbclid=IwAR3EjY4LGY6_hy4xpA8EaEK-V4H6x0EeZ1jQUtjtwNNoRd14OHkclWiqinI

It's worth a good, strong, solid read through.

And now, I'm going to go buy some of their products

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    OH hey

So there's been a huge ongoing discussion around race, gender, inclusion, equity, etc in the fibre community for several months now. There have been some unfortunate casualties and incidents that I don't really know all the details of. But a yarn company that makes some Gorgeous yarns (Brooklyn Tweed) has just put out a new statement, a list of their goals and plans, and pledges and I am legit crying my eyes out.

https://brooklyntweed.com/pages/equity-inclusion?fbclid=IwAR3EjY4LGY6_hy4xpA8EaEK-V4H6x0EeZ1jQUtjtwNNoRd14OHkclWiqinI

That is a comprehensive list, wow!

Calica wrote: »
    OH hey

It's been a very very tough, learning, confronting few months. And I've only been tangentially involved/watching.

ea6ddw3wfxrp.png

Finished this quick thing up yesterday. Just need to put some felt and a magnet on the back.

vmn6rftb232b.png
    I have nothing on my loom.

I have nothing on my needles.

I have exactly 1 WIP and it's a huge cardigan for me and I don't really want to work on it? It's 350 stitches in DK wool every row, with cabling. It's been a perpetual project since last year. and I want to finish it, but working on it just reminds me how fat I am.

I have a few old crochet WIPs that I think I'm just going to unravel (old things, small projects that I don't have the pattern for at this point). I just haven't needed the yarn yet, so it gets to sit in my bag.

I want to make a few more little things on plastic canvas, but first I want to get some progress done on a friendship bracelet for my friend. Those dang things take ages

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    OH hey

It's been a very very tough, learning, confronting few months. And I've only been tangentially involved/watching.

Where do these conversations happen? I'm not in that particular loop, and I kind of want to be.

OH hey

Where do these conversations happen? I'm not in that particular loop, and I kind of want to be.

There's been a few big ones on Instagram, though I'm not well versed in them or the platform.

I'm pretty sure there have been big conversations on the Ravelry forums in many places.

And then just in my local Facebook wool and fibre groups and on the company pages of a lot of the Indy dyers and designers that I know and follow.

I don't participate, I usually hear things through the grapevine, or find them after, but there's been a lot of good positive responses from my little community, new groups started to help people navigate a more intersectional crafting world than they expected, and resources are being made available for people to be better allies.

The tag Diversaknitty I think is a good one, although that's been a small warfront lately with drama. It's hard to tell where the lines are at times.

I have a few projects that I'm hoping to tackle over the next few days.
    Maybe. But also need to work on a threaded table.

Instead of doing that I did a distraction project.
    From the job thread:
    I did a quick dogtag thing today. Resin is drying currently. Should be dry tomorrow and then I'll sand and finish it up. Not sure that the raw aluminium is a good choice for a key chain or anything. I should get it anodized maybe.
    B4RHFrK.jpg

WhYipac.jpg

I also need to do better at getting resin into spots. Think I'll pick up a bunch of those pipette things.

So this morning I convinced myself to get out of the door and went to the Auckland Creative Fibre Spin-In that was near me.

It was basically a regional guild meeting of all three different groups of local ladies. And there were some vendors there with fibre for spinning.

So I sat, brought out my knitting and listened. But then I got stuck in watching this lady spinning on her wheel.

I explained that I had a drop spindle at home, but hadn't gotten to the point of actually trying to spin because it was intimidating.

Next thing I know, she's got me sitting at her wheel with her and I'm forming my drafting triangle and I'm actually making yarn.

It was lumpy and bumpy and uneven, but I was doing it. And then she showed me how to ply the yarn together.

Next minute, she's handing me about a meter of wool yarn that I had spun myself. "Here you go? Your first yarn!" And by this time there were about three other ladies watching her teach me and they were all so full of praise. I started to cry.

Like, little tears, but still. I spun some yarn! I'm so amazed at myself!

That was quite a yarn

:cool:

I totally cribbed this idea from a guy on Project Electric Guitar named Karl Alton. His fretboard looks so damn nice. Admittedly it's similar to the original idea I had, only this was actually doable =p

Took a while to get it right (this is just the test).

It's pure silver around cherry set in maple.

The real deal will be pure silver around holly or myrtle set in rosewood!

I used a bradpoint drill bit to make the hole and chiseled out the excess. 1/4" plug cutter on the cherry, and a diamond riffler to sand down the sliver of silver.

I'll end up practicing a couple in the rosewood too =)

k6tcha4ohcp5.jpg

cv14litjw0in.jpg

rj00athwdov5.jpg

Oooh, that will look amazing on the rosewood!
    I gotta say, I'm looking forward to picking(ha) your brain soon, so I can start working on mine.

edited August 2019
    Any time!

I've already made enough mistakes for 3 guitars!

Here it is in rosewood along with a few ideas that didn't pan out

crj5928ic59h.jpg

Edit: it looks much better in person. The Samsung camera is not incredible at catching the light glinting off the silver

Xaquin on
    Cut off a hunk of crepe myrtle that's been drying for years in the basement, shaved it down on the table saw, sanded it to 100 grit, used my plug cutter, and voila, fret marker inserts!

gtmog74fjdec.jpg

oqv7oyb2i9xg.jpg

6lvrcn49k1ks.jpg

es3d0u1onb7h.jpg

gp2q3qgxb5nz.jpg

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Do the fret inserts have a use or are they 100% just a baller add on?

My best friend is offering to let me borrow her spinning wheel.

I am..... Intrigued.

edited August 2019
    Blake T wrote: »

Good reference point on the instrument. You usually have them at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th and....further? So some use, but also people get crazy decorative with them.

Radiation on
    edited August 2019
    Blake T wrote: »

They are to mark the third, fifth, seventh, ninth, twelfth, fifteenth, seventeenth, nineteenth, and twenty first frets just for ease of use. There are corresponding dots on the side that are more useful

No reason they can't look damn fine though!

Xaquin on
    My best friend is offering to let me borrow her spinning wheel.

I am..... Intrigued.

If she offers to get you in on the ground floor of her “spin straw into gold dollars in your spare time” company, maybe just back away slowly.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    old draft re: Primitive Technology:
    we love his videos, especially during pre-bed teatime. mostly soothing nature sounds, and slightly educational while presenting a puzzle on figuring out the goal or logic of the method.

it is also pretty gratifying when i recognize a lot of what he's doing and why; i regularly feel like i can't remember stuff or never knew to start, but stuff floats up about pre-firing bricks and other ceramics, and recognizing the process of purifying iron, or just general tricks like using hot stones to boil water.

omg heart-eyes
    45381702624_36a4eb1f10.jpg
    "Cabin (with my usual modifications) using Robert Kaufman Shetland Flannel in the color Kale"
    same lady also makes herself a ton of pants from Arenite with mods also up my alley (pockets start higher and the tops don't poof out)
    really need to learn machine sewing

lfchwLd.jpg
    edited August 2019
    out of curiosity, does anyone know of any free crafting blog sites (for lack of a better term). I'd like to be able to do something a bit more comprehensive and helpful than just loading a ton of pictures in a folder and trying to remember what I was doing.

I'd like to be able to make posts, upload pictures, and assign text to each image as well as maybe a separate tag so that I could easily remember what I was working on, how I did it, and how it affected the overall project.

edit: maybe I could even do this in a .pdf thought that would quickly become cumbersome I think

edit2: I'm not trying to make money or reach people or instruct anyone (though if someone happened on it and could use it, cool), I just want a decent way to organize my images and what I've learned

Xaquin on
    edited August 2019
    instructables?
    reddit?
    I've tried using a google doc for personal notes. Though I'm not very good at keeping it up to date. I usually put new ideas in there, and don't really update with things I've tried.

Radiation on
    edited August 2019
    Instructables seems like it may be cool!

I made a tumbler account and am already trying to delete it. jeebus, what a mess.

edit: looks like instructables is more for a finished project unless I'm misunderstanding. I will keep looking!

edit2: oh cool, blogger is still around! perfect!

Xaquin on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So remember back when I was attempting to mold parts off of one of my 1/3 scale dolls to make a mermaid tail? I haven't given up on the idea, but I had a lot of problems w/ my initial mold and basically wasn't able to get my doll out of it for a long time. When I did get it out, the joints were very loose on the doll.

Yesterday, I tried some of the tips on the company's website for getting joints on the dolls to tighten up - the basic explanation being that the joints get loose from too much grease in the joints, and you can fix that with a mess of brake cleaner. So I was outside spraying a shitton of brake cleaner into the doll, and then I noticed the real problem: The internal spinal column in the doll had been severed.

I could not figure out any way to get in there to glue it or whatnot, so I contacted support to see if they had any suggestions. Sadly replacement was the only option, and the doll was outside of warranty (it was my own fault anyway, so I wasn't expecting the warranty to have worked even if it wasn't outside warranty), but they have a deal where they will send you the replacement part if you buy $200 worth of other product (this was only because the entire torso piece had to be replaced. If something smaller like a leg had to be replaced, I'd only have to purchase $100 worth of merch to get the replacement). This is actually a pretty sweet deal, since there's plenty of stuff I always want to buy from their shop - in this case, I bought a couple of doll wigs and a pair of doll-sized pants.

The upside is that now I have a torso piece I can feel perfectly free to abuse as necessary for molding or other purposes. I've taped the legs together to prep for my next molding attempt:
    JViKPx6.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    ... @Cambiata , that is one hell of an image to just have randomly fill up your screen ... :D:D:D

So I just ordered a top whorl spindle and 500g of combed and processed corriedale fiber.

I am gonna start teaching myself to spin my own yarn.

This is going to either be amazing or absolutely terrible.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ... Cambiata , that is one hell of an image to just have randomly fill up your screen ... :D:D:D

Well I figured any no no parts weren't on that piece, but I've put it in spoilers nonetheless!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular