As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Level 78 and starting to get a grasp on WHM now, being a tank main and knowing the mechanics give me a leg up in terms of comfort and now its just a matter of learning buttons. I spent a long time only bringing my WHM into alliance raids so I could hide my fraud heals in the relatively safety of old 24 player content.

I've started to branch out to the leveling/50/60/70/trials roulette now (partly fueled by my want of materia) and between getting the lvl 73 trial with first timers and then getting the lvl 77 dungeon with a tank going in big with pulls, starting to come into my own.

Gotta say, kinda really digging this being a healer thing.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    As a healer, things I really hate:
    • Undergeared tanks that go go let's do multi pulls.
    • Undergeared tanks that keep doing the above despite going from 100 to 0 three times in a row edit: in the span of 5 seconds.
    • DPS that hasn't updated their weapons in 10 levels aka Why are you doing the last dungeon of the expansion with that Non Augmented Poetic Weapon!!!
    • DPS that don't use their AoE rotations ever.
    • DPS that uses their AoE rotations on bosses.

But healing is cool. I still prefer going GNB tho!

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    As a healer mass pulling tanks with bad gear are the bane of my life. Because most often they tend to be rude about it too.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    As a tank I'll mass pull until I die in which case I'll say "oops sorry" and take it back one step. As a healer I want the tank to mass pull and if they die and it isn't my fault (which hasn't happened yet) I'll want them to take it back one step.
    DPS that hasn't updated their weapons in 10 levels aka Why are you doing the last dungeon of the expansion with that Non Augmented Poetic Weapon!!!

For this one my guess is that they literally don't know you can because the game tells you absolutely nothing about augmenting Ironworks gear.

admanb on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    As a tank I'll mass pull until I die in which case I'll say "oops sorry" and take it back one step. As a healer I want the tank to mass pull and if they die and it isn't my fault (which hasn't happened yet) I'll want them to take it back one step.
    DPS that hasn't updated their weapons in 10 levels aka Why are you doing the last dungeon of the expansion with that Non Augmented Poetic Weapon!!!

For this one my guess is that they literally don't know you can because the game tells you absolutely nothing about augmenting Ironworks gear.

I think the "10 levels" part is more the point than the "non-augmented" part.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I almost always have pretty good random party experiences as a healer or tank, I find people tend to stay positive and polite if I do... most of the time. As a tank I control the pace so I usually ask a healer if they're ok with big pulls at the start and adjust based on how dicey the first few packs pulled feel. As a healer I don't often get tanks asking me that, but it's fine in my case because I actually can heal them through "pull everything from here to the next hard stop" behavior because I'm well-geared and very comfortable with extra-spicy pulls. I can see how that kind of tank behavior would be a sore spot if you're not feeling as confident about it.

One really memorable time I had a tank pull way, way more than I could actually put out enough healing numbers for was in the samurai mansion dungeon after just hitting 70 at the end of stormblood, and still being in dungeon-ilvl-appropriate ~300 gear instead of 390 endgame gear. They pulled the entire hallway between the first and second bosses in one go and I couldn't keep them up for more than 8 seconds or so with every cooldown burned and spamming cure 2. It was pretty funny, afterwards I said I had just hit 70 and they were like "oh lol my bad" and pulled less and it was fine.
    admanb wrote: »

yeah augmenting tomestone gear is pretty easy to miss before Stormblood's 70 stuff when they put the augment person in the same area as the tomestone trader, just like the tomestone gear itself is kind of easy to miss.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    heavensward at least put the augmentation npc in the same city as the tomestone vendor

arr's is inexplicably way back in some forgotten corner of the shroud

You'd think hey maybe I should hit the market board and buy a new weapon would be cool. Also man how shitty your luck must be to not get any good weapon rolls in 10 levels.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So In between EVO watching and real world stuff I finally beat ARR and now in HW.

The new areas are good and large and just unlocked my ability to fly. \o/

Story wise just
    Freed Raubaun from the dungeon in Ul-Dah
    . It’s great and feels more like a team getting things done.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You'd think hey maybe I should hit the market board and buy a new weapon would be cool. Also man how shitty your luck must be to not get any good weapon rolls in 10 levels.

If you're going with roulette mainly it's pretty easy to do that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    So doing the 50 to 60 bard quests.
    First reaction: Oh god i'm trapped in a buddy cop movie.
    Yep, it's buddy cop movie, not a well written one, made all the poorer for our inclusion in it.

Oh well, it's done atleast.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You're a loose cannon, Warrior of Light. That's why I'm assigning you a partner.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You've gone too far this time, Warrior of Light. Hand over your harp and your flute!

edited August 2019
    Summoner 60 to 70 questline
    first 3 down, ok, nothing revolutionary, the usual tests.
    Test of power, test of skill.
    And the totally not obvious secret test of character.
    That kinda fails as a concept in games where you are basicly immortal indestructible demigod.

Level 68:
    I've mentioned before how others doing all the research is something of a weakness for arcanist jobs.
    And it is kinda hitting hard here.
    We have a pile of books, and while everyone else is reading, i'm just standing there and exposited at.
    We do contribute, yes, but only after everyone else did the actual research.

level 70
    CLONES ARE PEOPLE TOO! Just wanted to get this out of me chest. Y'mhitra seems to have something against cloning and/or clones.
    I pretty much guessed the "Sari is an egi" twist the second they disappeared in the level 65 quest.
    The exact nature of him and his motives i did not see coming.
    The fight was ok, not challenging but fun enough (and i am probably overgeared for it).
    The quest was ok, and the implications of just what we might be capable of are kinda intriguing.
    The story went bit cliche towards the end (implying it ever strayed away), but it was ok.

I have a theory about summoning.
    1. I think it should be possible, given the technology and magical feats we've seen, be possible to just get rid of the primals in the whole summoning process. It should be possible to "summon" egi fashioned after beings like behemots, morbol, or any other creature you care to name.

I also have a theory about summoners.
    2. Summoning magic recides in the same region of the brain as fashion sense, and as people get more and more involved in summoning, more their fashion sense deterriorates. I mean, just look at those outfits other summoners in quests wear.

edit-
    I also continue to be disappointed to be just given spells, instead, you know, learning them through research and books.

AND STOP READING IN THE RAIN Y'MHITRA. I don't care how magical that book is, take it somewhere dry.

Nyysjan on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Discovered all the parties trying Titty EX are in PF not DF.

5 hours later, I wish I hadn't.

I just need one clear and I can join the real parties. Why is this so hard.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »

Fun fact, the "real parties" are typically mostly the same.

steam_sig.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Fun fact, the "real parties" are typically mostly the same.

:(

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Funniest part of doing Titty EX is I spent an entire weekend learning the fight and trying to get a clear with PF parties and then the next weekend, we get an FC group together and clear it first try.

Pubbies are the worst.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    AND STOP READING IN THE RAIN Y'MHITRA. I don't care how magical that book is, take it somewhere dry.

0mnfzy4lzcwj.jpg

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    "Clear for one and then farm. MUST HAVE CLEARED FIGHT. ONE MISTAKE = KICK. LOOTMASTER ON."

Party only has the one player in it, just so you know who the clear is for.

Who joins those anyway? Some people do, I've noticed, but I have no idea why.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    "Clear for one and then farm. MUST HAVE CLEARED FIGHT. ONE MISTAKE = KICK. LOOTMASTER ON."

Party only has the the one player in it, just so you know who the clear is for.

Who joins those anyway? Some people do, I've noticed, but I have no idea why.

Never join a lootmaster party. Ever.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Herman McSlugballHerman McSlugball Stupendous Chap High ShluppyRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Today i had to purposely wipe a guildhest of all things so i could leave it because the group could not wrap their head around the idea of "If you don't kill them all at around the same time they will keep reviving at full health."

I spent ten minutes trying to tell them in party to be met with silence as they kept killing one at a time having it revive by the time they killed the second. so i just let them die and left.

You're perfectly within your rights to force the group to learn the mechanics (being that that's the entire point of Guildhests to begin with), but if the fight drags on long enough, the enemies drop the invincibility mechanic and summon a big mob to finish up the fight. The Pity Gargoyle makes an appearance in my roulette once a month or so.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Funniest part of doing Titty EX is I spent an entire weekend learning the fight and trying to get a clear with PF parties and then the next weekend, we get an FC group together and clear it first try.

Pubbies are the worst.

FC groups are the best, no groups of 8 people all expecting to get carried.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I know I should learn Titania EX...but if I wait a couple of weeks I'll have my Tome Weapon + a bunch of my alt jobs. Hmmmmm....

I know I should learn Titania EX...but if I wait a couple of weeks I'll have my Tome Weapon + a bunch of my alt jobs. Hmmmmm....

It's really not that hard of a fight if everyone is on their shit. It's mostly just the fact that a single person messing up ends up in a wipe, especially in the tricky part.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Namazu quests continue to impress.
    Reputation 7 reached.
    And boy the quest went to places. :D

Reputation 7 reached.

When you hit Bloodsword make sure to grab the Mikoshi mount from the vendor and run around the low level zones scaring the crap out of the newbies, it is tradition.

Numi wrote: »
    Reputation 7 reached.

When you hit Bloodsword make sure to grab the Mikoshi mount from the vendor and run around the low level zones scaring the crap out of the newbies, it is tradition.

I'm generally anti tradition out of principle.
    But this sounds like something i can get behind :D

Well I was excited just to finally hit 450 before I went traveling for the week, but I managed to PF an Eden 1 Savage kill and win a necklace, so now I'm a nice 451. I can now move to the great beyond(New Jersey) with no regrets.

Once I get back, time to look for an actual static group.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Well I was excited just to finally hit 450 before I went traveling for the week, but I managed to PF an Eden 1 Savage kill and win a necklace, so now I'm a nice 451. I can now move to the great beyond(New Jersey) with no regrets.

Your complementary taylorham, egg, and cheese sandwich, as well as a side of gabagoo will be waiting for upon your entry into our illustrious state.

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

Your complementary taylorham, egg, and cheese sandwich, as well as a side of gabagoo will be waiting for upon your entry into our illustrious state.

I've got a Wawa Shorti on reserve.

Man...I just can't get over how GNB flows. It's a really well-designed class. I still haven't tried the other tanks at 80 yet but compared to PLD and DRK at 70 StB? It's pretty good.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Been playing GNB, having a good time with it. Idea on how to reduce the amount of buttons on GNB
    You have your core combo of Keen Edge, Brutal Shell, and Solid Barrel. Then you get your Cartridge combo of Gnashing Fang, Savage Claw, and Wicked Talon, then Continuation on top of that. That's 7 buttons.

Why not instead introduce a Cartridge Load button that changes your core combo buttons into the Cartridge combo buttons, and when you're mid-cartridge combo, change the Load button into Continuation?

That's only 4 buttons. But it would mean that when you enter into the Cartridge combo, you're locked into it until you're done.

edited August 2019
    Well, i fought Zenos a 3rd time, and then a 4th.
    And while the fights themselves were decent, i can't summon anything beyond boredom at the actual story.
    I liked parts of the MSQ, but the overall feeling is that writers fumbled badly.
    The liberation of both Doma and Ala Mhigo are too fast, and too easy.
    Zenos serves no real purpose except to give WoL someone to fight in the overall narrative, he could easily have been replaced with somekind of Garlean warmachine providing us with a final boss.
    I guess others found him interesting, but i have seen him dozens of times already, different face, different name, yet identical in all but the tiniest of details.
    He was vaguely interesting the first time i guess, but not the second, and Zenos was not that interesting an incarnation.

As a constructive criticism, i do wish they had not had the final assault have Hien come as a cavalry. Garleans have heavy armored airforces as their thing, and nobody seemingly having brought any anti air defenses just makes people look stupid.
    Same for having Alhpinaud trying to convince the wolfmen that Doma had been liberated with zero evidence (why did we not bring any evidence from Doma?) even if that got solved with couple fights.

Guess next up is doing the post Stormblood story content and then i need to buy Shadowbringer.
    Probably should level up red and blue mages too, just for the title acchievements.
    And the the class quests, only finished the summoner one for stormblood, which was pretty good, still have DRK to finish and then do all the healers and black mage.

edit-
    Man these end credits are loooooooooooong.
    Oh, hello Estinien.

Varis, i know next to nothing about you, but i know this, your hat is awesome in all it's ridiculous glory.

Oh, hi Nero (why haven't we hanged this guy yet?).

Nyysjan on
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Live letter going on and this just dropped

Q45:
    As a gatherer, it's frustrating when monsters appear near gathering nodes, especially in the Rak'tika Greatwood where Sweet Marjoram would appear. Would adjustments be possible?

A45:
    We’ll be making fundamental changes to stealth in patch 5.1, including being ignored even while mounted. Please look forward to future updates!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Happy to see the change coming, but I didn’t feel that was a problem when I remembered to hit Stealth right after dismounting. This was with flying unlocked, of course.

Running on ground I could imagine it’s more of a frustration.

steam_sig.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Happy to see the change coming, but I didn’t feel that was a problem when I remembered to hit Stealth right after dismounting. This was with flying unlocked, of course.

Running on ground I could imagine it’s more of a frustration.

Most often it's when I accidentally trigger one before dismounting that gets me in trouble.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    I'm most pumped about that ARR MSQ rework they're talking about. Probably not for another year based on time between patches, but it should be a good way to get players in through some of the more tedious early parts.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Here is to hoping stealth and it's trashy rp-walking gets completely axed and replaced by an always-on trait or something that makes mobs unable to interact with the player that lets us get on with it.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Oh, hi Nero (why haven't we hanged this guy yet?).

Because it's amusing watching him troll Cid and try (unsuccessfully) to hide his inferioroty complex.

This discussion has been closed.