As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The most recent post on the community page makes me feel even more confident that a new supplement wont come out for the current chapters with a codex.

None of them appeared in the community article and they posted this, "** If you’re a fan of the Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Grey Knights or Deathwatch, don’t worry – you can look forward to official rules updates coming soon via free PDF download. And remember, you Heretic Astartes players out there will also be gaining Shock Assault for your units in a similar update!"

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/05/space-marines-preview-enhanced-chapter-tacticsgw-homepage-post-1-2
    Chapter Tactics preview is live!

Tactics finally effect vehicles now. Yay!
    Salamanders are looking pretty solid, ignoring -1 AP weapons and still have their reroll hit/wound.
    Iron hands looking nice too, with sturdy 6++ double-damage-chart vehicles, and 5+ overwatch (as an assault army player, 5+ overwatch is BRUUUUTAL)
    Glad that Ravenguard got shifted to "gets cover" instead of "-1 to hit", and hope that they keep going in that direction with other updates.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yooo...Codex Discipline affecting vehicles is massive for Ultramarines.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Glad that Ravenguard got shifted to "gets cover" instead of "-1 to hit", and hope that they keep going in that direction with other updates.

They still get the -1 to hit if they're not a vehicle and are in a terrain, as well. I quite like that change - it's fluffy and (when it inevitably gets applied to Alaitoc) will prevent the -2 to hit Flyers nonsense.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Massive for all marines. Preds just got a lot harder to lock down as Ultramarines.

White scars are fast with the new rules scary.

Salamanders are hard to kill.

Ironhands are really good.

Imp Fist and Crimson Fist get some nasty buffs with bolter drill now built in their tactic.

Raven guard just got nerfed with the -1 only in terrain and being considered to be in cover. I hope this change floods to all the groups with the flat -1. It would be a huge nerf to eldar (no more -2 natively fliers).

u7stthr17eud.png
    Hopefully soon we get an Impulsor variant that is the Primaris Predator so I can actually take them in my army. As is I just have the Executioner.

Depending on the rules for the new Impulsor I'll probably end up selling my Repulsor (it's still in the box, on the sprues, hasn't been touched) and going the Impulsor route to get my Intercessors and Hellblasters around.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2019
    My speculations for the Impulsor:
    -The artwork in the preview video has an alternate turret on it, with what looks like a frag/krakstorm launcher and some other gizmos, so being a razorback type seems most likely. I also wouldn't put a las-talon out of the question.
    rnzj44dnrlue.jpg

-During the turnaround in the video, the back of the Impulsor is odd in that it doesnt really look like a transport compartment (like the rhino), it's more of a flatbed deck with handrails. My long-bomb guess is that it could be open topped, which would be absolutely bananas. But it's also kinda small, so maybe 5 model transport capacity, OR bring back some sort of firing port rule where a couple models can shoot off the back.
    bhirtymhgfrc.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I personally don't like the direction they took the black templars. But going through the in depth look they did in the white dwarf long ago I see why

Lore wise I was playing them as they never moved on from the ideals of the Scouring

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    One of the annoying things about gluing Chaos stuff together is that you often have to apply pressure to minis to get the glue to work effectively. When the mini you're trying to glue together is covered in spikes this can get a bit annoying.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I used a clamp I found somewhere on the base {I think it was service clamp for something but no one had seen it before

But it was a used fly tying stand I had that worked for build eldar/chaos way back then { it was missing the magnifying lens and the clamp to the table barely worked I have no idea what happened to it

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Oh man this is good news for my Iron Hands successors. Vehicles getting chapter tactics again means I'm gonna have to dust off my fleet of Asscan Razorbacks.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So, if August is Space Marines Month, September is probably Heretic Astartes Month, and then October is Sisters month?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Why would september be csm? They just got a massive update a couple months ago.

website_header.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    We all know the end of the year highlight is gonna be ORKTOBER 2019, right lads?

Got a friend with about 2500 points of Blood Angels, just enough built to hit 2000 points and I don't think he is going to expand it at all. He really dislikes building and in general isn't all that interested in in buying more for them.

He is more interested in Orks but didn't buy any because he really likes killa kans but heard they sucked so went with Blood Angels.

How much trouble would he have trying to trade a 2000 point built but unpainted Blood Angels army with 2 dreadnoughts and 10 tac marines new on sprue for an Ork army of equal value?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    So, if August is Space Marines Month, September is probably Heretic Astartes Month, and then October is Sisters month?

was this the year of the Xenos or is that still coming?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Why would september be csm? They just got a massive update a couple months ago.

Because I misread one of the footnotes, to imply that there would be an additional focus on CSM later

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Viking wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

was this the year of the Xenos or is that still coming?

That was supposedly 2018.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Some quick pics from the Warhammer booth at GenCon this year.

Aeronautica
    kAe4xqV.jpg
    cSb0aRY.jpg
    G5rcUHB.jpg
    VJ033QY.jpg

Bandai Marine
    UBOdFVR.jpg
    bzMbX3v.jpg

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Guyyyyyyyys!

I wanna talk about Deathguarddddd!

GUYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Tell me about death guard

Angel's of Death makes them helluva lot better than they were. I would say melee-armed Plague Marines are now objectively ggood.The base squad dies are rocking 3 attacks each in the first round of any combat. The Shooty squads... I dunno, jury is still out. I would consider adding a Flail or Cleaver to the shooty squads, so between that and the power fist, theyll have some "oompf" in combat.

Both termie variants are grrrrrrrreat now. Their vehicles were already pretty solid, so as a whole, the book is orders of magnitudes better.

Create your own chapter in the new Space Marine Codex.

If that's legal for matched play it's going to be hell to keep track of.

Burnage wrote: »

My issue with any sort of customization system in a competitive context is that invariably players will find the best combinations mathematically, all of which will likely outshine the default ones given to canon chapters, and everyone will be forced that direction to stay competitive.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

My issue with any sort of customization system in a competitive context is that invariably players will find the best combinations mathematically, all of which will likely outshine the default ones given to canon chapters, and everyone will be forced that direction to stay competitive.

Ah yes the 4th edition conundrum.

was that the pick two flaws custom chapter problem?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am very curious how they play the "build a chapter" set of rules.

If it is okay for matched play will it be okay for ITC? There are already difference between GTs and ITC and NoVA already but mostly just in missions.

The preview so far didn't blow my mind. And if a custom chapters loses out on stratagems, relics, and whatever the other new thing is (I keep wanting to say tactics but I think its more like doctrine?) then it might balance out.

Part of why renegades don't feel like must picks over the normal CSM is the loss of VotLW.

At the same time my army is running 0 legions now except T-Sons which Ahriman and 2 other sorcs doesn't really count does it?

I mean three of the renegade chapters are considered good to competitive at the moment.

Flawless Host-Exploding attacks on 6+ (modified) is amazing. Especially with Lord Discordants and will be even better now the other daemon engines get it.
    The Purge-Rerolls after single wounds is amazing.
    Red Corsairs-3 cp for some CSM has given CSM a cp battery

The others are ehh. Crimson Slaughter with the 2 cp -1 to hit based on a terrain feature is good though.

I just realized The Scourged are a mix of the new Iron Hands+Salamanders.

Well that isn't bad.

Huh.

Brazen Beast I think is actually good with the new shock assault rules. You can get a lot of attacks for cheap and moving them to a -4 ap on the turn you charge on a 6+ to wound is really good.

Especially with zerkers or even normal CSM.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Still the Ork and CSM codexs I do want to get but I wanted them digitally and then the frustration and annoyance of epub3 on a kindle

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes, with very easy options like 'don't use drop pods' which IIRC was a major flaw, and so 'balanced' a major buff. There were a few no-brainer combimations which made things pretty broken.

Same with IG, where Light Infantry and Drop Troops were the traits everyone picked.

Yes, with very easy options like 'don't use drop pods' which IIRC was a major flaw, and so 'balanced' a major buff. There were a few no-brainer combimations which made things pretty broken.

Same with IG, where Light Infantry and Drop Troops were the traits everyone picked.

I remember that era as I rarely saw space marine forces but tons of guard or orks
    Just I wish I could have found that blank make your own chapter pdf at the end of the article instead of just winging it with my kill team

Trying really hard not to break my "primaris only" army theme and put Centurion Devastators in my post codex list. They are so fucking good with Guilliman, Bolter Discipline and Codex Discipline. Over watch monsters who can pull out of combat and shoot, double tapping all their hurricane bolters, re-rolling everything. Even if something manages to lock them down Guilliman just shreds it. Only worry is that they will get shot up really fast given their threat potential.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Trying really hard not to break my "primaris only" army theme and put Centurion Devastators in my post codex list. They are so fucking good with Guilliman, Bolter Discipline and Codex Discipline. Over watch monsters who can pull out of combat and shoot, double tapping all their hurricane bolters, re-rolling everything. Even if something manages to lock them down Guilliman just shreds it. Only worry is that they will get shot up really fast given their threat potential.

Sorry (not sorry) to gush for a bit, but I too have a "Primaris only" army going on right now with my Dark Angels. In the lore, Primaris are not (yet) inducted into the "Inner Circle" (and if you don't know what that is then don't ask because I don't know what you're talking about). So I've painted all my Primaris with 5th chapter colors including a Chapter Master (Captain) and Lieutenants, and by the time I'm finished I may have a full 100+ models (about 18 painted so far, but 40+ assembled and primed); if I go over 100 for some reason then I guess I'll also start putting them in the reserve companies. Anyway in my own head-canon these guys, "Fifth but First!" are always sent in first, or to where the fighting is heaviest. Occasionally they'll be aided by the 3rd Chapter (where I put all the non-Primaris I got from the Dark Vengeance sets), but they of course see very little of the Deathwing or Ravenwing. I still don't have enough of anything painted to play a full game (though I have played a lot of Kill Team), but when I do I'm entertaining the idea of always fielding these guys as separate detachments just to stick with the lore.

I'll be interested to see how the lore changes in the future. If/when the Lion El'Jonson model is revealed if he'll be Primaris or not, and if the Dark Angels as a whole will keep separate models for their unique units, get any new ones, or if those will all be phased out to be replaced by chapter-specific Primaris. If 40k continues to follow the AoS Stormcast releases, then next year we may expect more psyker-Primaris squads, and potentially their induction into Grey Knights.

It really speaks to how great the hobby is right now that even though I just started my dream job in my dream location, I'm still can't shut up about Warhammer 40k!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I run an Aggressor squad, which is as close to Centurion Devastators as we get in Primaris right now. Actually thinking about expanding the size of that squad.

How do Primaris only armies deal with armor? I feel like my Primaris get absolutely shredded by anything over toughness 4. I do generally only play with my friends and brother and that is Custodes and Death Guard. Other friend had his 2k Blood Angels list.

Do I need more hellblasters? I only have 10.

How do Primaris only armies deal with armor?
    Poorly.
    It's basically either Hellblasters, which need a lot of support and tend to get killed before they're in optimal range, Supressors, which are okay but S7 is less than ideal, or Executioners/Repulsors, which are expensive as hell.
    Most players sprinkle in dreadnoughts, either Venerable, Contemptor, or Leviathan for more efficient AT.

website_header.jpg
    I still use a Knight Castellan. My "primaris only" rule is for my Space Marine detachments. I'm currently planning my "post codex, post Castellan" list and the answer will likely be a Repulsor Executioner and Hellbasters in Impulsors, depending on how the rules shake out.

Oh, also Guillliam. He'll shred armor really fast once he's close.

DA Hellblasters in particular are very effective due to their Weapons from the Dark Age Stratagem, so I’ve heard.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I play Blood Angels so I'll get some primaris only detachments once GW gives primaris some real melee squads. Also flying dudes with melee would be ideal considering, again, Blood Angels.

Also I wouldn't mind being able to get veteran intercessors.

TheGerbil on
    edited August 2019
    I might grab some more hellblasters at some point for my Space Wolves. I have 10 right now and I've been meaning to get more. I also want to get plasma inceptors, I already have 3 but they are from dark imperium so they have bolters which bumps me out.

Stragint on

The problem with Plasma Inceptors (in my uneducated opinion) is that they’ve got very little protection against blowing themselves up, unless you also somehow plant a Captain next to them.

There’s a lot of caveats in that statement (or in any statement regarding 40k tactics) but my general assumption is that you’re deploying them turn 2 to eliminate a specific threat (or group) behind the enemy’s front line.

DA are great in that from turn 3 onwards they provide their own rerolls but that also assumes they survive a whole turn and aren’t stuck in. I still think they’re mo better than Reivers.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    That's just kind of inceptors in general. You deep strike them in to hopefully kill or severely injure a target and then hope they are still there next turn.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Still the Ork and CSM codexs I do want to get but I wanted them digitally and then the frustration and annoyance of epub3 on a kindle

Have you tried converting the epub via calibre? I haven't tried it with a codex, but I have no problems when I do it with other epubs.

Sic transit gloria mundi.