As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I honestly think wraith form is busted. If you get say, 2 of them, it almost doesn't matter what else is in your deck. And that to me is the definition of busted.

While it's a good card, and can combo exceptionally well with Orange Pellets, I guarantee you this statement is not true at higher ascensions. If you don't have some accelerator to kill fast, or a copy of Well-Laid Plans, or Orange Pellets, it's very easy for 6 turns of intangible to not be nearly enough. <_<

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    BSoB wrote: »
    I honestly think wraith form is busted. If you get say, 2 of them, it almost doesn't matter what else is in your deck. And that to me is the definition of busted.

While it's a good card, and can combo exceptionally well with Orange Pellets, I guarantee you this statement is not true at higher ascensions. If you don't have some accelerator to kill fast, or a copy of Well-Laid Plans, or Orange Pellets, it's very easy for 6 turns of intangible to not be nearly enough. <_<

I can see both sides of the argument, honestly. I do think Intangible might be TOO strong - but it's not an easy thing to fix without disrupting the rest of the game's ecosystem. The heart can definitely shred you even with Intangible. If you add more mutliattacks into the game though, stuff like Disarm and Piercing Wail (already very, very good cards) grow even stronger. If you adjust it to to be a percent damage reduction... I don't really know - it looses some of it's major niche as one of the best ways to deal with Really Big Attacks. (I dunno, maybe it needs to be refactored into only working beyond a ceartin amount of incoming dmage, but a lot of that seems like it poses serious ui/communcaiton issues).

Shit's hard, in otherwords.

Meanwhile: can you spot the points where this run went from "I think i can get past champ" to "We're doing okay" to "Okay, everyone DIES NOW"?
    752B83C908ABD6EE4F335BEAC1BB41AD14F18D03

Would have been a 2-0, but i forgot to take the red key on the defect run. Which is a shame, it was an interesting one - I'm probably going to redo it on stream, because it was pretty cool

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Shit is hard, and realistically, with very few exceptions, two Wraith Form+ will probably get you to the Act 3 boss. So it probably says something that it all-but-completely neuters everything except for the last boss(es + act 4), and will let an otherwise not great deck succeed much longer than it should.

Best I can think of is rather than being "for a full turn" you get intangible stacks that get drained per-attack/ source of damage, which makes multi-attacks very strong against it while retaining the goodness VS big hits. But that still absolutely requires a massive rebalance of the things that grant intangibility. shrug

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Shit is hard, and realistically, with very few exceptions, two Wraith Form+ will probably get you to the Act 3 boss. So it probably says something that it all-but-completely neuters everything except for the last boss(es + act 4), and will let an otherwise not great deck succeed much longer than it should.

Best I can think of is rather than being "for a full turn" you get intangible stacks that get drained per-attack/ source of damage, which makes multi-attacks very strong against it while retaining the goodness VS big hits. But that still absolutely requires a massive rebalance of the things that grant intangibility. shrug

You know, i'm not sure how much of a re-balance it actually would take. You're basically moving Intangible to being a more accessible buffer system (to the point i'd probably just roll them togther? Maybe?). That idea's got real potential. Actually i'm struggling a bit to see how it'd be any different from buffer - i'd probably change it so that it's only lost on enemy attacks, as this keeps it's use case on things like Offering + Beast of Death, etc (Which is enough of an interesting niche to be worth protecting), and gives it some more interesting differentiation from buffer (Buffer inclines you to protect against status effect,s Intagible would incetive you blocking small attacks when you can like buffer does, but in a different shape?)

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I think the easiest way to nerf wraith form is to make it wait a turn. The other two forms don't do anything the turn you play them. 2(3) turn buff at the start of your turn gain intangible. Lose 1 Dex a turn.

To clarify I mean giving the same number of intangible turns, but delay the first one.

BSoB on
    edited July 2019

You know, i'm not sure how much of a re-balance it actually would take. You're basically moving Intangible to being a more accessible buffer system (to the point i'd probably just roll them togther? Maybe?). That idea's got real potential. Actually i'm struggling a bit to see how it'd be any different from buffer - i'd probably change it so that it's only lost on enemy attacks, as this keeps it's use case on things like Offering + Beast of Death, etc (Which is enough of an interesting niche to be worth protecting), and gives it some more interesting differentiation from buffer (Buffer inclines you to protect against status effect,s Intagible would incetive you blocking small attacks when you can like buffer does, but in a different shape?)
    It definitely makes it a lot closer to buffer, you're not wrong. I kinda forget that one exists since it's so limited in what provides it.
    Yep, it's a weird "problem" to consider.

ArcticLancer on
    edited July 2019
    ECF6D18244D26DD374338B607FDCC69E6C8E1626

I'd complain i dont have Multicast, but that just seems mean-spirited, you know?

Edit: and adroitly demonstrating why Act 4 is such a leap in difficulty, the deck promptly folded like wet tissue paper to the a4 elites. Funnily enough, such a powerful deck means it also has a lot of setup. If it dosnet draw it setup cards in the righ order... *splat*

Absolutely zero surprises about this one - I needed a bottled Genetic Algorithm or a similar solution
    6A7644CDDFF2A43EFE05529EDAAEBA05CAED62F8

The Zombie Penguin on
    edited July 2019
    Stream's live. Starting off as Silent today, we'll see how things go. COme and tune in!

Edit: Stream over. Bog standard Silent win here, ironically with the double Wraith form that was talked about.
    B880B093E3FA55E048694659C2B6F00D5089C920

I think this is one of the most generically Silent decks I've played in a long time. the only really exciting thing was having Astrolabe turn 3 strikes into a Glass Dagger+, Die Die Die+, and Sucker Punch+

Which was pretty freaking good!

Otherwise... just stack up the footworks, get value, deploy wraith form as necessary, and grind things to pieces under noxious fumes + Bronze scales. As you do.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ya'll need to post more so i'm not sole-bumping this thread, you fiends.

Another day, another Silent win.
    BC8E6849BE3EAF35AF08E160C95DBA307BBC0149

Big takeaway from this run is i took Black Star planning to elite hunt in act 3 - only to immediately get offered Mind Bloom, with a charge still on my wing boots... and the first shop i hit had Membership card. Screw fighting elites anymore then. Deck promptly ran over act 3 while visiting all the shops. Nightmare + Catalyst lead to a 6-turn kill on the heart, and a 3 turn kill on Collector. Otherwise... this was just a Good Stuff deck - Strong relics, strong cards, able to get those cards into play easily and then combo out.

Probably worth noting i had enough really strong upgrades i prioritized campfires over elites in act 2, which is unusal for me - But Nightmare, Crippling Cloud and Noxius Fumes were all such such good upgrades (and onces that would have made a2 elites a lot easier if i already had em) it just made sense

I'm trying, but I'm juggling so many things right now that I'm only doing the occasional Daily Climb since I can knock them out much quicker than an A20 run. And those really aren't too interesting to look at because A0 bosses are a push-over. :P

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I dropped off STS due to Fire Emblem coming out. I'll absolutely check back in once we get some more news about the fourth character though.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I'm taking a break for now too. I'll be back though!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I'm busy with work, but am slowly climbing the ascension levels with all three. Keep posting your VODs, though. They're informative.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    You guys weren't kidding, saying A1 is easier than A0. My A0 Ironclad victory took over 40 attempts. My A1 Heart victory took 2!

I'm sure it's also helped that I feel like I've finally come around to understanding how to approach the game. My approach evolved from "Find good damage and defense and put up a strong fight", which doesn't work at all, to "Find some good combos", which works sometimes, to "Find the cards that break the damn game", which is really, really satisfying.

Up to A4 on Ironclad, A3 on Silent and Defect. For now I’m changing heroes after each victory.

AkimboEG wrote: »
    I'm busy with work, but am slowly climbing the ascension levels with all three. Keep posting your VODs, though. They're informative.

I'm glad to hear it! Going live again now, to boot

Also, if there's things i can do to improve the info in my stream, or the ilk - let me know! I'm always intersted in feedback and trying to make these some of the best quality StS streams around.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I keep telling myself I'll take a break but then I start thinking "maybe if I try this build..." and start a new run :rotate:

edited July 2019
    You guys weren't kidding, saying A1 is easier than A0. My A0 Ironclad victory took over 40 attempts. My A1 Heart victory took 2!

I'm sure it's also helped that I feel like I've finally come around to understanding how to approach the game. My approach evolved from "Find good damage and defence and put up a strong fight", which doesn't work at all, to "Find some good combos", which works sometimes, to "Find the cards that break the damn game", which is really, really satisfying.

Up to A4 on Ironclad, A3 on Silent and Defect. For now I’m changing heroes after each victory.

Awesome! Changing heros is my favoured approach - i think it's a good way to keep your skills sharp as it lets you focus more on the broad concepts (Scaling vs Frontload being the prime one). I will note that your first approach is a good one - you just have to combine it with approach two and three to really work. (Example: Concentrate is generally a bad card. Hovering Kite is generally a bad Energy Relic. Unceasing Top makes both of these amazing, as it fixes the card draw issue, letting you spend that energy. Concentrate + Icecream is another real combo)
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I keep telling myself I'll take a break but then I start thinking "maybe if I try this build..." and start a new run :rotate:

Welcome to your life now.

On that note, it's 2:30 am and i can't sleep. let's go bring this building down in revenge. (Link to my stream in sig, as usual!)

The Zombie Penguin on
    I staggered awake. I stared blearily. I wrecked a building viciously.

2-0 on stream today! Silent and Defect wins. The silent deck was again a pretty stereotypical silent deck - Very few relics, but all it's relics were good - it just tried to get Noxious Fumes and Footwork into play asap, and then ground things to death slowly (2x Noxious Fumes+ is a lot of poision - the third was taken after the a4 elites).

The Defect deck was just pure silly broken nonsense - Creative Ai, Mummified Hand, Snecko Eye and Orange Pellets meant it got to get Creative Ai in play fast, and then things tended to explode. Awoken One lasted 6 turns, and had 42 strength by the end of the fight.

It uh, it didn't help 'er. Did have to reload a couple of times to figure out wtfhowtoplay the deck, but fuck it - i'm cool with that when i'm playing at 4 am. Would have liked a Heatsinks+ and the chance to bottle it, which would have sent the deck literally stratospheric, but hey.

Decklists and VoDs below, enjoy!
    BEBBA59C5CA9D66777B3269763DCF1ED2DD4396DEA8C6FF575CD5DA2630AA72FD0610F4B4D36440B

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Picked up Omamori very early on the first floor. Proceeded to not find a single curse the entire run. Still managed to ascend, so all's good.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    my first victory last night! won with the Defect. echo form and 2 upgraded self repairs meant i could put 40hp back every combat. that and a couple of upgraded glaciers meant i could usually weather any big hits. first time i've really made an effort to limit deck size too.

now just to work out how to do it with the silent and the ironclad. it does seem like later on your ability to eat massive hits round after round becomes paramount.

edited August 2019
    manji wrote: »
    my first victory last night! won with the Defect. echo form and 2 upgraded self repairs meant i could put 40hp back every combat. that and a couple of upgraded glaciers meant i could usually weather any big hits. first time i've really made an effort to limit deck size too.

now just to work out how to do it with the silent and the ironclad. it does seem like later on your ability to eat massive hits round after round becomes paramount.

So, Silent's got the strongest defensive suite in the game (Paper Krane, After Image, Wraith Form and Footwork is a hell of a set), with very powerful scaling options in Poison, and interesting combo capabilites thanks to Nightmare, Burst and Catalyst all being cards (Concentrate also deserves a mention, though vastly more niche). Her weakness is generally she sucks at front-loading things - Her best Frontloaded offensive cards (Glass Knife, Die Die Die, Crippling Cloud) either exhaust or fall off hard, not to mention 2/3 are rares, and she lacks in strong front loaded defensive options. Generally, Silent strategy ends up revolving around a way to set your defences up quickly and then just grind things to pieces.

Or sometimes you just combo out in crazy fashion, as the run in this post demonstrated: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/41420379/#Comment_41420379

Ironclad has a bit of the reverse issue - lots of great front loaded damage options, and some excellent frontloaded defensive options (Impervious, Power Through). Ironclad's issue is that he's awful at playing both offensive cards and defensive cards in the same turn. Like Anger is such a premium good card in Act 1 simply because it's FREE, and that counts for a lot, Clad is so energy-starved. A lot of ironclad strategy ends up involving Corruption to try and break this in your favour, or turning to Feed/Reaper/Strength shenanigans (If you heal to full after loosing 100 hp in every fight, playing defensive cards matters a lot less...). Ironclad's defensive scaling outside of Corruption/Feel No Pain is also kinda awful.

Hopefully that helps!

Gonna go live for who knows how long, probably not long. Come tune in! Starting off with some Ironclad

The Zombie Penguin on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This is half off on steam. Is there anyone who has played night of the full moon? I've played that a ton as something similar, and I wonder if StS is different enough to justify a purchase or if NotFM can always scratch that itch.

What is this I don't even.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I haven’t played NotFM, but StS is amazing and everyone should own it. Just sayin’.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I haven’t played NotFM, but StS is amazing and everyone should own it. Just sayin’.

I'm honestly dying for the chance to buy it on mobile. It's the perfect little game to kill time with.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This is half off on steam. Is there anyone who has played night of the full moon? I've played that a ton as something similar, and I wonder if StS is different enough to justify a purchase or if NotFM can always scratch that itch.

I've played both. They are pretty similar; I'd argue that StS is better.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    To get better at this game, am I better off trying to raise ranks in ascension or going after the heart?

McHoger wrote: »
    To get better at this game, am I better off trying to raise ranks in ascension or going after the heart?

probably just finishing Act 3 and raising your ascension. going after the heart is admirable but does increase how long your runs take and you have to try to keep your options open so you can actually keep the deck able to get that far (and lose at least one relic for the blue key). it is easier to at least beat Act 3.

edited August 2019
    Two failed A4s in a row, both dying to the Act 3 boss, probably a turn from finishing it off.
    I shake my fist at you, game.

edit: Followed by a very sensible win. yuss

editedit: And then another! All three characters up to A5 now. Damn, this game is fun when you manage to break it.
    CB4A1A17270843ADA28AF922AA671F148484D58E

AkimboEG on
    McHoger wrote: »

Raise Ascension level. That's where the meat if the games difficulty comes from anyway.

The heart is definitely the ultimate challenge, but it's also a very specific challenge - you'll learn more about the game climbing the levels than you will trying to fight the heart.
    Plus, once you hit a20, you can do a20 heart kills!

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I was stuck on Ironclad Ascension 17 for a good long while until I got a Prismatic Shard deck. Wait, where are you going? Come back!

The run was suffering when I went YOLO and bought the shard. The first card I got afterwards was a plasma orb, and later I picked up some more orbs with Capacitor. This meant I always had plenty of energy, so I started picking up expensive cards. Face swapped into Face of Cleric, and got the vampire event which I took because I was getting max HP back anyway. Was offered Apotheosis and took it. By this point I also had 2 Mayhem cards and several other good powers. I fought an Act 1 boss and got Dead Branch. From there I was just completely unstoppable, I even took Time Eater out without breaking a sweat.

Prismatic Shard can be good! If you’re lucky!

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I have seen the light of the Snecko Eye.

I was stuck on Ironclad Ascension 17 for a good long while until I got a Prismatic Shard deck. Wait, where are you going? Come back!

The run was suffering when I went YOLO and bought the shard. The first card I got afterwards was a plasma orb, and later I picked up some more orbs with Capacitor. This meant I always had plenty of energy, so I started picking up expensive cards. Face swapped into Face of Cleric, and got the vampire event which I took because I was getting max HP back anyway. Was offered Apotheosis and took it. By this point I also had 2 Mayhem cards and several other good powers. I fought an Act 1 boss and got Dead Branch. From there I was just completely unstoppable, I even took Time Eater out without breaking a sweat.

Turns out Piercing Wail is the best Ironclad and Defect card as well

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Naphtali wrote: »

Turns out Piercing Wail is the best Ironclad and Defect card as well

Turbo is a dumb as hell addition to Ironclad's arsenal when you can get one. Not surprised to hear Plasma worked too.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited August 2019
    it's funny - stuff like Claw would be an AMAZING silent card (So much card draw to use it with), Cloak and Dagger would be real good on ironclad (attack and defense!).. there's a lot of cards that would be very good on other classes.

Sadly, there's no way to make Prism just give you those cards.

I still really want Prism to be removed form shops, and instead linked into an event so it's a lot more tempting to take - right now i'm really of the "You'd literally be better off throwing your gold away" camp with it.

Annnnnnnnyway, Strong Opions on Video Game Relics aside, it's sssstreaming time! Link in me sig, Starting off with some good ol' Clad In Iron fellow!

Edit: Stream over as i got really woozy for some reason. Boo!

But we got a sweet-as Silent win, so that makes up for it.
    9787FC3CFB4FCF631BD77E5D8D351B56FB6F59BC

Deck simply DEVOURED act 1, and by the time we hit floor 25 we had 3 noxious fume+ in the deck, ontop of a Twisted Funnel. Add in Bag of Prep and a Mummified hand, and whooboy. The Spire got rolled over in short order while we enacted an impression of chemical trench warfare on it.

Good example of why good Act 1 routing is so important - This deck picked up four elites in A1 (3 elite fights + Dead Adventurer), and scored an amazing set of relics that set it up for serious power and went from there. Also worthy of note is how i changed my routing in act 2 to react to suddenly having a huge pile of gold - the Elite fights i were planning to take lost value vs what a store could do for me.

Fun run!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Whew, finally got a Senshi "win."

Step 1: Grab all the good Tuxedo Mask cards that build determination.
    Step 2: Grab every Moon Power you see and upgrade them. (The Luna mentor card that gives you block based on determination helps too.)
    Step 3: I'M FIRIN' MAH THIRST LASER
    Cripes, when you get to like 20 stacks of Determination, it just *chunks* bosses. Like I had a 200+ hit.
    Actually Lightning in a Bottle'd Sailor "V"+, so I had a innated source of determination in my opening hand. The free Vulnerability was nice too.

Something weird that happened was that I accidentally bought a Prismatic Shard from the shopkeeper, and it ended up getting me a Outmaneuver+ from a card reward. I mean... yes, I'm totally okay with getting three extra energy next turn.

Granted, that kind of screwed up my rewards so I never could get anything Magical that could use all the magic I was generating with this determination, but I don't think it was needed? Also picking up a Klutzy Luck was nice, since I'm totally okay with burning a little determination to get out of a big hit.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Building found mysteriously dead, rampaging muscle wizard thought to be at fault.
    EFC74D3B019B182FB9ACF52B4C5CA93690D91DBE

Got Demon form as starting rare, Had Bash+ and Uppercut+ by the first Elite, got Heavy Blade from that and transformed a strike into a reaper on floor 12. Really rather set the tone for things from there.

I took 297 damage in the heart fight and came out at 137/147 hp. I took a 153 damage against reptomancer, and i only had 104 hp at that time. (Also this shows how good Feed/Str is - i got feed form the act 2 boss and went from 85 max hp to 147 by the end of the game. 62 hp out of a single card in 19 floors. Not Fucking Bad).

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Did you Dolly's mirror the demon form, or the reaper?

Burtletoy wrote: »

Offering+, Card draw/energy were the most needed things for the deck. a 3rd demonform would have made my fight against Awoken One a lot worse, and didn't really help me in any noticeable fashion (the deck only needs a demon form in play to crush things, the second was enough redundancy.)

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Offering+, Card draw/energy were the most needed things for the deck. a 3rd demonform would have made my fight against Awoken One a lot worse, and didn't really help me in any noticeable fashion (the deck only needs a demon form in play to crush things, the second was enough redundancy.)

Well, yeah, but I didn't know you already had two demonforms! I considered the offering, but just assumed it was one of the other two

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Senshi mod is low key sorta weak. Lots of the common cards build a buff that does nothing, or give you that buff per turn that does nothing. Cards that scale damage off magic either don’t scale very much or require pumping magic for turns just to get baseline useful. Magic has a cap that’s only raised by specific power cards. Teamwork cards can be very strong but their awkward use is an actual huge drawback. As opposed to the Marisa spend extra energy cards which are bonkers either way. Tuxedo Mask cards are strong but baseline don’t synergize with other mechanics.

It’s built around cards synergizing with each other but makes it very hard to do so.

VRXwDW7.png