As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lego] Overwatch sets incoming!

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Got the Hidden Side boat wreck set, because I couldn't resist it. All the Hiiden Side sets look awesome.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Got the Hidden Side boat wreck set, because I couldn't resist it. All the Hiiden Side sets look awesome.

Well yes once you get past the really hard to tell box art. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure if this belonged more in the Lego thread or the RPG one. Here is the party for the Star Wars RPG I'm playing in. Since it is still early in the game, I built figures for the desired versions. The mando figure has his full set of armor, the Jedi has his lightsaber, etc...

0zC2tQm.jpg

The group consists of a Falleen Gunslinger, Corellian Infiltrator, Mandalorian Heavy, Pantoran Soresu Defender, and the Pantoran Diplomat NPC.

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/aPTR5nc

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Looks like Hidden Side sets are starting to hit the wild.

Whelp. I know what the next series I'm going to 100% complete is. The Minifigures are amazing, and the level of detail is insane.

It reminds me of the old Real Ghostbusters toys, that hid as completely normal until you flipped some levers around. As such, I feel it's only right to make sure our resident GB fans aware of this if they weren't - @TankHammer and @timspork's ghost -- this seems right up your alley. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcUknzNtok

Do we know if the train is motorized?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Looks like Hidden Side sets are starting to hit the wild.

Whelp. I know what the next series I'm going to 100% complete is. The Minifigures are amazing, and the level of detail is insane.

It reminds me of the old Real Ghostbusters toys, that hid as completely normal until you flipped some levers around. As such, I feel it's only right to make sure our resident GB fans aware of this if they weren't - TankHammer and "timspork's ghost" -- this seems right up your alley. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcUknzNtok

Do we know if the train is motorized?

Seems unlikely at that price point, $80 bucks seems about right for ~700 standard pieces plus an app-tax to cover the software.
    I didn't see anything when they were flipping through the parts list that made it look motorized. No axles or gears listed, nothing that looked like a Lego motor or battery pack.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It is not motorized. The wing mechanize precludes an easy method.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

My 7 year old has been saving his money since the summer sets were leaked months ago. Today his Robo T-Rex is being delivered.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    My 5 year old has been saving good behaviour cards for like 4 months to buy the ucs hulkbuster :) lego is the best incentive for being good :)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The greatest feeling ever was when I realized I didn't have to wait til my birthday or Christmas to get Lego and could just buy them myself.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It is not motorized. The wing mechanize precludes an easy method.

Though it should be noted that there are some new train pieces - notably the casters. Each wheel is an individual piece now, and Jang keeps saying it's a type of "self-lubricating" plastic - the same stuff used on the roller coaster sets.

Also the set has a really nice transition piece that is new, a ramp up to the train tracks (you can see it in that preview image). It makes loading the set onto the tracks super easy.

About the only thing negative for me about the Hidden Side sets so far is that every set has the same 3 protagonists with no difference in details.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    The boy and girl do have like two outfits each.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I really like that Treehouse.

I think I might spend my winter getting that and the ninjago city and maybe trying to combine the two or something.

It's going to be a "treat yourself" kind of holiday this year.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Targets around here still suck at stocking despite what their website says. Went to three different stores and got the little lab set and the High School. I wanted the Shrimp Diner but that is nowhere to be seen. Also I'm a high school librarian and ghost aficionado so the high school set is laser focused to my interests.

oh god that just lead into a dive on all the modulars I don't have and dammit why didn't I buy the bank a couple months ago before it retired!?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out how to build a diorama right now. We have a bunch of summer sets, like RVs, campers, ATVs, boats and stuff. I want to make a forested campground and beach dunes with a bit of ocean. Something that would fit on a 2x6 length of plywood. Anybody have any tutorials on how to build landscape with Lego? I know there are cool layering tricks with clear and clear blue bricks to make awesome looking water.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Okay. Observation. Clearly Lego has put way more resources into making the Hidden Side sets be a bigger thing. Key point, the instructions. On the City Space Exploration sets, there were multiple flimsy stapled manuals, one set had, I kid you not, five different manuals.

So far all of the Hidden Side sets have had single, thick, glued book bound manuals with the high school one being packaged in a separate bag with the sticker sheets just like the Creator Modular buildings. These are also of much higher quality paper and printing.

They usually only do this with sets that they plan on being a main staples.

Considering there is already leaked information with a second and maybe third wave next year, I am not surprised.

... Actually... *pushes up glasses*

The city line is usually designed with a slightly younger audience in mind. To help with this, they break the manual out into sub-assemblies, usually self contained or at least in order by bag. This way kids can share the assembly process with siblings or family, as well as follow along easier.

Hidden Side's manuals are about the same quality as any of their premier lines, like Nexo Knights or the various Movie products. I haven't gotten any of their $20 or $30 Hidden Side sets, but I suspect they are stapled. You usually start seeing bound books around the time they introduce brick separators, which happens above $60 retail.

That said... I read a pretty negative article on Hidden Side (that I don't agree with) that said Lego's revenues have been down the last couple of years and Hidden Side is their newest push at getting back mobile users and kids and such. I dunno about the economic drive behind hidden side, but as I said the rest of the article was rubbish. They cited that the toys are designed to be played with 1 way, and generally designed to be played with in 1 hand and are not engaging. Which.. well.. is bullshit. All the sets have some kind of interactivity even before you get past them being FREAKING LEGO, and everything just seems very animated. The AR can certainly help with the imagination stuff, but.. well, from what I hear the game aspect isn't all that great. But hey, no microtransactions or meters.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I bought one of the $30 sets and it's definitely a bound instructional manual not stapled.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Doodmann wrote: »
    oh god that just lead into a dive on all the modulars I don't have and dammit why didn't I buy the bank a couple months ago before it retired!?

Yeah I missed the town hall because they retired it unexpectedly and that was pretty annoying. The bank being retired this soon is surprising, though. Possibly the low visual impact of its exterior meant it wasn't as popular.

I'll be ordering Assembly Square nice and early before Christmas just in case.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I got my kiddo the NYC Architecture set for his birthday this weekend; he just got back from a trip to NYC a few weeks ago and loved it, especially going up in the ESB.

lbs2a5yzfbxl.jpeg

He’s only turning 5 so I may have to help him

Atomika on
    Bogart wrote: »

Yeah I missed the town hall because they retired it unexpectedly and that was pretty annoying. The bank being retired this soon is surprising, though. Possibly the low visual impact of its exterior meant it wasn't as popular.

I'll be ordering Assembly Square nice and early before Christmas just in case.

If I'm honest, this is why I didn't pull the trigger. I don't have a ton of space to display my "block" so the exterior killed it for me even though it seems like a really interesting set.

The early sets are only facade so I'm not super bummed about missing those.

I've got everything from the Fire Station onwards (except the Town Hall) and none of them are facade. I don't think the three from before the station (greengrocers, cafe corner, market street) are facades.

I've got everything from the Fire Station onwards (except the Town Hall) and none of them are facade. I don't think the three from before the station (greengrocers, cafe corner, market street) are facades.

I was thinking earlier: cinema and corner cafe which are basically empty inside. I thought the fire station and townhall were also like that.

edited August 2019

I was thinking earlier: cinema and corner cafe which are basically empty inside. I thought the fire station and townhall were also like that.

Only the very first building, the Hotel was empty inside. I can personally vouch that all the rest have interiors.

Market Street also does not have an interior but it is technically not of the same line. It was a predecessor to the Lego Ideas stuff and was designed by a fan. It just happens to be compatible and people consider it a modular.

Librarian's ghost on

Cinema is later than those. The fire station has stuff inside, including a ping pong table and a fire pole.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I consider the house half of Market Street to be canon, it's where our Lego personae live with our Lego cat. The market half is some extraneous nonsense that is always moments from the parts bin, but it makes a good parking spot for the TARDIS.

Oh brilliant
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    at this point how much would it actually cost to buy all the sets? is this like a go-to-ebay-and-pray situation?

and does anyone have a picture of all the sets together? how much space would it take up?

maybe it's good that I'm likely too late and too poor to get into the modular city stuff...

Weird I don't know why I thought the cinema was empty inside, now I'm doubly mad I didn't grab that before it retired also.

I enjoy filling in the empty Lego rooms with stuff. Eventually I'm going to remake a Pet Store/Apartment. The Pet Store is going to be an occult book store and then I can personalize the other living spaces. In the first Apartment I built a bed, nightstand, etc to fill it out.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Weird I don't know why I thought the cinema was empty inside, now I'm doubly mad I didn't grab that before it retired also.

Except for a pretty neat concession stand the inside of the cinema is nothing to write home about.

I Zimbra wrote: »

Except for a pretty neat concession stand the inside of the cinema is nothing to write home about.

I once saw a real nice mod of the cinema that made it had modern stadium seating. I wish I could find it.

The only mod I've done to a modular is make the third floor of the pet shop being a full bedroom with a tiny bathroom instead of just a loft with a bed.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Curses! I foolishly didn't check until after I'd bought a Hidden Side kit as a school holiday treat for me and kids, and all our devices are too old to run the app... Desperately trying to source a loaner.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Man I like the coffee shop and the design...
    but I never actually liked F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Aw I thought it was going to be the RESTAURANT from 90’s sitcom Seinfeld and I got excited for the next possible set being the Soup Nazi shop.

Really, 90’s sitcom sets are pretty bland.

I understand it, and it's an IDEAS set so people obviously want it, but... eh. I wasn't all that into the Big Bang Theory set either.

Lego if you want to appeal to my 90s nostalgia, you gotta give me
    CfpZaPDl.jpg
    3OTEk59l.jpg

• Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    Wrong place to ask to be talked out of buying a set, I know, but: my new job present to myself after a few checks is going to be the helicarrier, anyone who bought it the first time around have any issues with it?

Lou29 wrote: »
    Wrong place to ask to be talked out of buying a set, I know, but: my new job present to myself after a few checks is going to be the helicarrier, anyone who bought it the first time around have any issues with it?

Holy shit you found one at a reasonable price?

The helicarrier is great! I love mine.

This discussion has been closed.