As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What do you mean you hate your parking spot? No one to at least one of your sides to slam their door against yours. And you have the correct vehicle for squeezing in. :+1:

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    You have a parking spot. I just have to squeeze my XF in whatever I can find when I get home! Which is sometimes halfway down the street. (And two of the houses on my street are unoccupied at present; so it used to be worse and one day will be worse again.)

Anyway, an S is the correct Mini. Very nice car, I dig it :+1:

I saw a John Cooper Works Mini the other day. Couldn't get a pic since I was driving. It looked fantastic.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Also make sure to keep waxing the headlights when you wax the rest of your car. Wax all your lights. That's what at least slows down the yellowing.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have covered parking at my condo (yay!), but it's not paved or even gravel. It's this weird fine dust. Maybe it used to be gravel 40 years ago, I dunno. Anyway, it's impossible to keep the floor clean in the Q60, especially days like today when it's raining. So I don't even try. I'll wash the mat once in a while and vacuum once in a while, but ultimately, it's pointless. :P

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    It took me like 2 hours...with a power drill. I cant imagine doing that by hand.
    That seems like an excessively long time. Did you use sandpaper? I learned to do it by starting with wet/damp sanding (three passes of increasing grit), followed by compounding and polishing with either a DA polisher or an orbital sander with the appropriate pads. Larry did a good demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOKmZ9mMfc

Of course, it's going to start yellowing again. You can use whatever method of protection you want, but the next time I have to do it I'm gonna test using some 2K clear coat in a rattle can to apply. The only reason I didn't the last time is because I don't have a garage to keep crap off while it cures. Also, once you press the button on the bottom of the can to mix the two components it'll last at most two days before you have to toss it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    If you wonder why Tesla owners have a certain...reputation, this story should help explain why:
    Of course, like all stereotypes, this is likely unfair and can’t possibly be true for all Tesla owners, but when you see dipshits doing things like this, you get where it comes from. And by “this” I mean a Tesla owner parking on a stranger’s lawn to steal power from them for 12 whole hours.

As TV station WPBF reports, the stranger in question was homeowner Phil Fraumeni, who lives in a tidy house in Lake Worth, Florida. Last Friday morning Fraumeni’s lawn care guy knocked on his door, asking him to move his car. He was confused, as his car was in his driveway.

He soon found that the lawn care guy was talking about the white Tesla Model 3, which was parked on his lawn and the sidewalk, tethered to his house via an electrical cord plugged into an outside 120V outlet on his house.

Fraumeni didn’t know who owned the car, and, in a remarkable display of kindness and patience, didn’t immediately yank the plug from his house, urinate on some tires, and call a tow truck.

As their headline image put it:

noeymyh3bhiy9hqqjaug.png

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Syphon some gas and no one bats an eye. Steal a little electricity with a tesla and everyone loses their minds. The only reason anyone fucking cares is because it's a tesla. This is a perfect example of yellow journalism. This isn't a tesla thing. It's an asshole thing.

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    Using a 120v outlet is like siphoning gas with one of those tiny straws you get with a coffee, if they were visiting friends why didn't they have power?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Using a 120v outlet is like siphoning gas with one of those tiny straws you get with a coffee, if they were visiting friends why didn't they have power?

Yea they got like 25 miles worth of juice for the twelve hours or so they were charging. Thats my bigger beef. Leaving the car parked on a strangers lawn for 12 hours. I would have called the cops and had it towed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Forget that, pour sugar in their gas ta.... aw dammit.

nibXTE7.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    It took me like 2 hours...with a power drill. I cant imagine doing that by hand.
    That seems like an excessively long time. Did you use sandpaper? I learned to do it by starting with wet/damp sanding (three passes of increasing grit), followed by compounding and polishing with either a DA polisher or an orbital sander with the appropriate pads. Larry did a good demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqOKmZ9mMfc

Of course, it's going to start yellowing again. You can use whatever method of protection you want, but the next time I have to do it I'm gonna test using some 2K clear coat in a rattle can to apply. The only reason I didn't the last time is because I don't have a garage to keep crap off while it cures. Also, once you press the button on the bottom of the can to mix the two components it'll last at most two days before you have to toss it.

Yep, if you want to stop the hazing and discolouration, get them clearcoated with a UV protectant top coat, preferably by a professional.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    What do you mean you hate your parking spot? No one to at least one of your sides to slam their door against yours. And you have the correct vehicle for squeezing in. :+1:

Its like 2/3 the size of other spots and the person who parks next to me drives an SUV and likes to ride the line. The other spots are also in pairs but separated by pillars (so 2 cars pillar 2 cars pillar) I want a pillar spot. Really the parking spot is less og an issue for me now since I'm solo so not a lot of passengers getting in/out of my car, but I want to upsize a little and I effectively can't use this spot.

I also applied some clear coat that's supposed to protect it but we'll see.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm more surprised that guy got low enough he had to stop - most of what I've read is that people get range anxiety and don't take them as far as they can.

In related news, took our Niro for its first real longer spin yesterday, up to Tahoe. Ballparking 180 miles for the trip, we got ~20 miles added charge while parked (free charging, parking was not). Got back home with 120 estimated range remaining. Which given the theoretical range is 239, is pretty impressive!

So I think Tahoe and Napa are doable for round trips, SF is iffy without a charge along the way because of potential traffic and driving in the city, with the caveat that (at least until our lv2 is installed) we only do shorter trips the day after. But yeah, that was a very pleasant day trip.

E: but man, looking into charger types, I hope they get the DC ones rolled out more extensively. 70 mile range in an hour isn't combustion engine fast, but it's getting into "road trip is somewhat reasonable" range if you have some places to stop and eat or shop.

Jragghen on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Three hours of my day.

KxqjKyM.jpg

Everything said the driver's side would be harder, because the brake booster blocks the rear two cylinders.

pXvZmPj.jpg

And it does. But I could still get the plug socket wobble in the hole and slip the ratchet on it. And on the driver's side, loosening you're pulling on the wrench. Lots of leverage. The passenger side, you're pushing on it, no leverage. I had to get the breaker bar out to free the eight on the passenger side. Took me twice as long as the driver's.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    Also anyone who says "don't anti-seize your plugs", may your eternal punishment be doing plugs on Hemi engines in a RAM.

nibXTE7.png
    Ferrari sends Ferrari owner C&D for acting like a Ferrari owner:
    Oh, Ferrari. You make such lovely, fast cars. But, damn, are you in some serious denial right now. The Italian automaker is currently involved in a stupid tiff with a wealthy German fashion designer whose aesthetic sensibilities seem to be based on the result of mixing Red Bull and puréed Euro notes with the collected crotch sweat from a Berlin discotheque. Ferrari wants the designer, Philip Plein, to remove pictures of his own cars from his Instagram account, because they feel his feed “tarnishes the reputation of Ferrari’s brands.”

Ferrari, you deluded fools: this kind of wealth-can’t-buy-taste shit is the reputation of Ferrari’s brands.

Haha WHAT

Ferrari, that's pathetic. Goddamn.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Haha WHAT

They are terrified of their image being associated with the "trashy" rich and losing the ability to sell to the ludicrously rich. While down the road Lamborghini just says "fuck it, buy our cars, and now our giant new SUV!"

webguy20 on
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Haha WHAT

They are terrified of their image being associated with the "trashy" rich and losing the ability to sell to the ludicrously rich. While down the road Lamborghini just says "fuck it, buy our cars, and now our giant new SUV!"

Given that Lamborghini started as a tractor maker (seriously), that is very unsurprising. Ferrari, on the other hand, has had a disdain for their customers dating back to ol' Enzo himself.

edited August 2019
    Lamborghini as a supercar maker has always been about brash and loud. Their cars look like hot wheels made real, so I doubt they care at all.

Nova_C on
    edited August 2019
    I'm sure the likes of Lamborghini and Pagani are laughing their asses off right now. "It's cool, put our cars up there as much as you like!"
    Haha WHAT

Given that Lamborghini started as a tractor maker (seriously), that is very unsurprising. Ferrari, on the other hand, has had a disdain for their customers dating back to ol' Enzo himself.

Yeah, Enzo was reluctant to build road cars at all; he only did so to fund the racing team.

Apparently at Ferrari HQ in Maranello, so I recall hearing (I promise I'm not making this up), they often refer to Lamborghini (in Sant'Agata) as "that tractor factory down the road".

Jazz on
    Haha WHAT

Ferruccio Lamborghini started making cars because, after informing Enzo Ferarri that his clutches sucked, which they did, and that the process of getting his Ferarri serviced repeatedly was abysmal, which it was, Ferrari told him to pound sand.

nibXTE7.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Haha WHAT

Ferruccio Lamborghini started making cars after having his annoyances at frequently needing clutch repairs and getting poor customer service regarding his Ferrari dismissed by Enzo. So he modded his Ferrari on his own and got it performing better than the stock setup and decided to start making cars himself and filling niches Ferrari didn't.

He did the "I'll make my own x! With hookers! And Blackjack!" but without forgetting the x.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    And, honestly, I think Lambos are way more interesting as supercars than Ferraris. And preferable.

Especially since Audi took over and they're all AWD now.

(I'm not a purist)

I think the haughty nature of Feraris and Labos drove more people to buying Audis than anything.

Ferraris used to at least have an elegance about them, but the last car they made that really still had that for me was the 360. Which was a long time ago now. They may still be good cars, but I've found them charmless since then.

At least Lamborghinis are still gloriously batshit insane. The Countach will never be topped, but at least their current cars still have the specific sort of charm I always liked about them, unlike Ferrari. An Aventador or Huracan can still make me smile.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think the haughty nature of Feraris and Labos drove more people to buying Audis than anything.

The R8 is practically the original NSX's spiritual successor, insofar as it's the supercar you get if you also want it to be a daily driver.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The R8 is practically the original NSX's spiritual successor, insofar as it's the supercar you get if you also want it to be a daily driver.

A long time ago I told my wife that if I was ever in the situation to purchase a supercar to remind me that what I actually want is an NSX. You know, just in case I had lost my mind winning the lottery or whatever. I need to update this directive to say R8 instead of NSX. Thanks for the reminder.

edited August 2019
    Ferraris used to at least have an elegance about them, but the last car they made that really still had that for me was the 360. Which was a long time ago now. They may still be good cars, but I've found them charmless since then.

At least Lamborghinis are still gloriously batshit insane. The Countach will never be topped, but at least their current cars still have the specific sort of charm I always liked about them, unlike Ferrari. An Aventador or Huracan can still make me smile.

The countach may never be topped, but at least all the current Lamborghini lineup can be driven without beating the driver to a pulp.

webguy20 on

The countach may never be topped, but at least all the current Lamborghini lineup can be driven without beating the driver to a pulp.

Oh, definitely.

I'm speaking purely as someone who will, in all likelihood, never, ever so much as have the opportunity to own an original Countach. I can admire it from afar without worry. Enjoy it as a piece of automotive art. As which, it's near the top of the list.

As an actual car it's famously wretched. It's certainly quick for its era, but it's a pain in the ass to heft around, and even more of a pain in the ass to actually just live with. (Suspension rebuilds every 800 miles, that's the kicker.) Which is why if I ever found myself in a position to, I'd look for a good replica rather than a real one. I've seen replicas good enough to fool me if I didn't know, and I do look for the details - there was one where the only real giveaway was if you popped the engine cover and saw that it had a BMW V12 in it. A car like that you could live with on a daily basis, even if it was just a summer show car. A real one? Too much hassle, however jaw-dropping (and, IMO, ageless) it is.

Modern Lambos, though; yeah, you can live with them. The NSX (I'll go back to that again) proved that supercars didn't need to be difficult brutes. And while the R8 is the "everyday supercar" these days, you could absolutely use something like a Huracan the same way.

A long time ago I told my wife that if I was ever in the situation to purchase a supercar to remind me that what I actually want is an NSX. You know, just in case I had lost my mind winning the lottery or whatever. I need to update this directive to say R8 instead of NSX. Thanks for the reminder.

I'd probably still take an NSX. A first-gen one with the pop-up headlights. Another absolutely stunning car to behold, I still think it's beautiful.

The R8 doesn't quite set my heart aflutter like some; it's handsome, sure, but not quite to my taste visually, but I can't fault it otherwise.

I'd probably get an Aston in that situation. A DB9, most likely.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Huracan and R8 are the same car, just badge swapped with different exterior pieces.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Huracan and R8 are the same car, just badge swapped with different exterior pieces.

Nope! There is commonality, obviously, but it's not like all the badge-engineering that went on in the 1980s.

I saw something that reminded me of the glorious early-'70s (and even late '60s) wedge concept cars. Staples of games like Top Trumps, and inspiration for Hot Wheels and the like.

I present a few of my favourites:

Alfa Romeo Caimano

luqubjrrlbof.jpg

Mercedes-Benz C111

ar2t7gxyj62n.jpg

Ferrari Modulo

mx7ummy6ju01.jpg

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Why'd you post a spaceship from Battlestar Galactica for that last one? :rotate:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    It's interesting enough that Ferrari built that without painting it red all over.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How do the front wheel turn all enclosed like that?

Krieghund wrote: »

I'm guessing the answer is "Not very well." That thing probably has the turning radius of a semi truck.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

The Modulo was never even driven until 2014, and in the clip at this link showing someone finally driving it the enclosures have been removed. So "not at all" may be the answer there.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/a21049268/ferrari-modulo-by-pininfarina-driving/

It brings a tear to the eye to see that magnificent car on the road.

Even if it can barely turn even with the fairings removed!

I don't care, though. Practicality be damned, it's fucking beautiful.

A few more...

Mazda RX500

imzfnxc67ncq.jpg

Holden Hurricane

s971d8d1h4kf.jpg

Alfa Romeo Carabo

ql6ul0894vhg.jpg

I kind of love that all of these cars all date from about the same three or four year period.

The Carabo in particular is distinctively Marcello Gandini and you can very easily see how that evolved into the Countach by 1974.