As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Quest] XI-S on Xbox, Gamepass and PC soon

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Autochaining is workable, you just gotta get the pattern for each block. For castle walls, they have a 1, 2, 3 block height variance., with it skipping to shape 2 if the bottom isn't a "natural" block or a void. Once you know that, you just have to plan accordingly.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    you can also use the gloves to pick up the correct looking variant from somewhere else and manually place where you want it, I did this a bit with the adobe walls

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I still have fun building up the story islands somewhat. Like, you want a bathroom? How about a spa with 6 private stalls, a shower, and a massage parlour?

And then it's great later when an NPC asks for a room and I basically already have one built to those specs... Add a folding screen and quest complete!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqzlapo41g
    Super useful trick to store waters on your island.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    huh I have the SP and it didn't bother to mention the DLC came out early, or auto-download it

But I now I have so many block types and decorations I'm paralyzed by choice

Except I'm definitely going to build an aquarium into the central pillar of the pyramid

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Okay, so I finally unlocked the multiplayer portal, and now the game is encouraging me to move on to the next story island. Is it easy to return to the main island if my friend wants to do multi later, or would I be "stuck" on the next story island until I finish that part of the campaign?

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i have ruined the pyramid. it is now The Vandal's Palace on my island.

random large chunks missing (some done via cannon), lots of block swaps, destroyed the topper and built an infernal throne room,
    vegetation growing in the bottom part, several waterfalls that go through to the bottom, etc.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Okay, so I finally unlocked the multiplayer portal, and now the game is encouraging me to move on to the next story island. Is it easy to return to the main island if my friend wants to do multi later, or would I be "stuck" on the next story island until I finish that part of the campaign?

Unlike the first, you can return from the second whenever.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    You cant really do anything on your island until you upgrade your hammer a few times. I wouldnt bother starting much past the mandatory farm stuff until after finishing the second story island.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The 2nd island felt exceptionally long to me. Are they all that long?

Don't get me wrong, a huge amount of content is good. I just felt like that chapter was exceptionally long.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I felt that even furrowfield was too long, and the number of individual quests on the IoA after that. It's wearing on me, but I'm still looking forward to getting to the end for the real building.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The 2nd island felt exceptionally long to me. Are they all that long?

Don't get me wrong, a huge amount of content is good. I just felt like that chapter was exceptionally long.

They are about on par with each other with the endgame area being a bit smaller.

• Options
    The fourth island was my favorite by far.

Also: done with the campaign! I've already done a ton of terraforming of green gardens. How do I share screenshots from the switch?

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Either transfer the screenshots to your sd card and then shove that SD card into a computer, or connect your Switch to a twitter and make it post each image individually.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Continuing the tradition with all games Dragon Quest, I platinum'd DQB2 on Sunday. I also went ahead and completed all the checklist boards, so now I can focus 100% of my time to building my dream mansion.

Except I realized that I never did platinum DQB1, and after feeling all of the improvements DQB2 had, I don't know if I'm ready to go backwards to make it happen.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    residents want an exact size and fanciness to be happy

that's awful, why do you make me do this

• Options
    Just fyi, I made an acorn farm after some trial and error. a 6 tall column, bottom 4 blocks being bark with 2 blocks of leaves on top, will produce acorns on the 4th high block. You can still reach them in 1st person without jumping.

Set them with 2 open squares between each column, and they produce an acorn every hour or so of gameplay.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Finished the story, overall I liked it. Need to take a break from it and play other games to cool off before going full creative mode on my island. Did wanted to shuffle around my villagers and it's funny that they warp as well, seeing Wiggly blast off was funny.

• Options
    Everybody knows Zoom. Even your cows, sheep, chickens, dogs and cats.

Not that I've ever sent away precious puppers and kitties.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Square-Enix have announced that worldwide retail shipments and digital sales for Dragon Quest Builders 2 have exceeded 1.1 million on both Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Square-Enix also announced that the final free update for the game will add three save slots, an epilogue, eight new hairstyles, items to change the weather, save up to three islands, and more. It will be available 20 August in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBhv4Vx5NQ

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    What were the initial free updates? I've only seen the DLC updates.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Oh wow with those updates i might as well never play another game again

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    residents want an exact size and fanciness to be happy

that's awful, why do you make me do this

Trust me, if you ever try to sell or buy a house you will get that this is the most realistic part of the game.

• Options
    Anyone here get the DLC for DQB2? Just curious if anyone here felt it was worth it.

• Options
    I eventually plan on getting it when I get back to the game. Hopefully there is a sale for it sometime between then.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So on a non-builders note, I hadn’t ever really played many early DQs aside from 5 so I got 3,4, and 6 for my phone. I lost interest in 3 a bit after getting the boat (its great for what it is but its still a very old-school 8 bit rpg), so I tried 4.

I have to say I really love the idea of introducing the party members in their own little 2-5 hour adventures. Its such a great change from the usual RPG convention of meeting some random person, having a brief conversation, and them dropping their lives to become your bff party member forever.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    So on a non-builders note, I hadn’t ever really played many early DQs aside from 5 so I got 3,4, and 6 for my phone. I lost interest in 3 a bit after getting the boat (its great for what it is but its still a very old-school 8 bit rpg), so I tried 4.

I have to say I really love the idea of introducing the party members in their own little 2-5 hour adventures. Its such a great change from the usual RPG convention of meeting some random person, having a brief conversation, and them dropping their lives to become your bff party member forever.

Torneko's (Taloon's) chapter might break you of that. It depends on how long you're willing to play shopkeeper. When I originally played it on the NES, this was my favourite chapter, because no other game really let you be a shopkeeper. Now? There's a few dozen apps for that, and countless Steam shovelware games.

The shopkeeper gameplay in DQ4 is the barest of content handling, but there's only one reason to keep up with it - you can get a Cautery Sword (best weapon for his chapter) really early on, but you need 3,500 gold to afford it. You can either keep working for commissions, or hope you get a bunch of lucky drops from random monsters to sell equipment to make the money for it. I usually work, but I won't lie in saying that you could fall asleep doing it because it's such a braindead way of doing it.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    What were the initial free updates? I've only seen the DLC updates.

They released some free recipes July 26. I'm not sure what exactly they were.. "Hotto flair"?
    Dirty wrote: »
    Anyone here get the DLC for DQB2? Just curious if anyone here felt it was worth it.

I was happy with the purchase. I don't think I've even gone through to really understand all of the recipes it added, but one major thing is a fishing island which gives you a fishing rod and a decent mini-game where you fish in any body of water. There are apparently 40 different kinds of fish, plus varying sizes based on "star level" of the fish you catch. You can then cook with them or place them in a pond or an aquarium you make. Oh, and you can build netting to make underwater fish cages.

My four-year-old loves it, and it was a chance for me to try to teach him about different kinds of water (i.e. you can't put ocean fish into a pond you made with fresh water).

Overall you're getting something like 110 new building recipes with the season pass. New hairstyles and clothing as well.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    The 'Hotto' DLC opens an Island with bamboo and rice and one other crop... Buckwheat? Coffee? And bamboo you can turn into paper and use it in 'traditionally Japanese items' like the bamboo thing that goes doink (shishi-odoshi) and sliding paper doors.

Uuuh the fishing update is fish. Do you like fish and fishing mini games? Awesome.

The third one is all modern Ikea furniture, like street lamps and glass coffee tables and couches.

edit: can't remember which DLC gives which hairstyles but I like the pomp+sunglasses on the female builder because she looks like a bored celebrity.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The fishing island also comes with a little bit of plot and recruitable NPCs that will fish automatically.

• Options
    Hotto sounds like something I'd actually use. I pretty much hate the sea and everything in it.

• Options
    There are new blocks in each of them. The aquarium thing in the fishing update makes adding liquids to your build a lot easier in that you can effectively store infinite lava, hot water, etc when you switch between them.

Which, you can sorta do that anyway, but this way you dont have to refill your pool each time.

• Options
    So the final free update includes:

3 save slots
    3 buildertopia islands slots
    These haircuts stolen from NPCs, the hairstyles will become available once the player completes the “Let’s Make a Room for the Villagers” builder recipe.
    rh978fu0nuny.jpg
    Players will be able to change the weather in the Isle of Awakening with the Clear, Cloudy, Rain, Snow, and Storm cards. The weather cards will be available at the Magic Workstation after obtaining the "Builder's Eye".
    All villagers (previously just soldiers) will follow you when using the hero's flag.

"Their Epilogue"

By meeting the following conditions, a letter will appear in the mail. From there, their epilogue will begin…

Achieved 45 builder recipes.
    Cleared the item check events for acquiring infinite materials on all Explorer’s Shores.
    Visited a Buildertopia at least once.

Other Updates

The number of rooms on an island will now be displayed on the menu screen.
    Natural growth of vegetation can now be turned on or off in the “Settings” screen.
    Builder’s Eye cursor movement speed can now be chosen from three speeds in the “Settings” screen.
    There will be arrows showing which way a villager is using an item on the guidelines of items which have direction.
    Improved control stability and fixed some bugs.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I assume "Builder's Eye" is referring to the "Buildnoculars" then.

For a free update, it's good stuff. I'm mostly interested in the "Their Epilogue" stuff.

• Options
    So the pyramid has a hollow layer between the outside and inside. I need to fill it with weird crap. A dungeon or a cactus farm or, like, 'a chamber of decorations I stole from other islands' or something.

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    So the pyramid has a hollow layer between the outside and inside. I need to fill it with weird crap. A dungeon or a cactus farm or, like, 'a chamber of decorations I stole from other islands' or something.

A quest giver got stuck in that gap and couldn't get out and I couldn't get to him. I had to smash a hole in the freshly built pyramid to complete the quest!

• Options
    Oh. Oh shit. I'm going to fill one room with casks and reenact the Cask of Amontillado.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So changing villagers’ clothes doesn’t change their jobs? Now gotta figure out how to remove all these farming clothes.

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    So: In the Builderpedia, many of the rooms are listed as "Type 1." Does anyone know what's up with that?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    So: In the Builderpedia, many of the rooms are listed as "Type 1." Does anyone know what's up with that?

Some rooms can be altered a bit with a Type 2, 3 or 4.

A good example is a Shared Bathroom, which requires 2 Basic Bathtubs, 2 Towels, 2 Washtubs and any Light Source. But with the Hotto/Modern DLC, you can make the same room using 2 Showers, or 2 Bathtubs (modern) or 2 Bubbly Baths (modern) and the rest is the same.

There's a really good Google Docs resource that I've been using to check off rooms, recipes and track down items. It's still being updated, but all the rooms and recipes are correct and don't need to be updated any further.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I7YipHxPNTNkqES5GctiWtZgavvM_RFadCo08rh01QM/htmlview?sle=true#gid=6312665

El Fantastico on