As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Any know what this is? Gave me me decent sting/bite when I moved him
    aGotoLY.jpg

wWAk8KM.jpg

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Which state/country? It looks a lot like a backswimmer to me.

P.S: Specificly it looks like a Notonecta Irrorata which is common on the american east coast.
    steve_collins_18540699929_05449389c8_c_d.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And that would explain the bite. Those little bastards bite way harder than they look like they should do.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Note. Don't touch or swim with Backswimmers. While not assassinbug/fireant/wasp bad their sting is powerful and can cause an allergic reaction (they have a spiky long mouthparts which they use to stab small fish, tadpoles and other insects. And you if you mess with it).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    it was in NJ and we found him in our small pool.
    we were actually going to feed it to a frog we were rescuing, but my son dropped it, so i picked it up and it bit me.

camo_sig.png
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    10 cm...
    szSxVvR.jpg

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited August 2019
    All fun and what not, until it decided to fly around my head and i was instantly asaulted by 4 giant bats...like pigeon-sized "WHOOS WHOOOSH" flapping bats.

That sucked and i was shitting my pants.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Looks like a cicada, @bwanie .

edited August 2019
    Oh i know lol. Sry was just the size of the fucker.

Macrosemia tonkiniana probably
    Dundubia spiculata second best guess

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    bwanie wrote: »
    Oh i know lol. Sry was just the size of the fucker.

Macrosemia tonkiniana probably
    Dundubia spiculata second best guess

You're in SE Asia?
    Also, it's not Dundubia spiculata. Could definitely be a Macrosemia tonkiniana. Right size, right pattern.

edited August 2019
    Yeah vietnam, and i'd say tonkiniana as wel. Didn't know they were nocturnal.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Easiest way to identify cicadas is usually by sound. They all have extremely distinct singing.
    Macrosemia tonkiniana sounds like a cross between a rusty doorhinge and the screams of the damned. Dondubia spiculata sounds like a polishing machine. Evening cicadas sound like you were trying to play a frog croaking, but just then your soundcard bugged out.

https://soundboard.com/sb/cicada_insects_thailand

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Easiest way to identify cicadas is usually by sound. They all have extremely distinct singing.
    Macrosemia tonkiniana sounds like a cross between a rusty doorhinge and the screams of the damned. Dondubia spiculata sounds like a polishing machine. Evening cicadas sound like you were trying to play a frog croaking, but just then your soundcard bugged out.

https://soundboard.com/sb/cicada_insects_thailand

Meimuna tavoyana: What's the most annoying sound in the world?

Ayuthia spectable: Hold my beer

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I guess my first question is: Animal Vegetable or Mineral?
    ph7zcxy10dxr.jpg

They're about a millimeter or two across, all over the leaves of a bush. I'm leaning toward fungus, but could be eggs?

Or some kind of protein shell on a bacteria colony, idk!

Spoilered for possible h-scroll devastation

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Those are insects. I know exactly which type but my brain is refusing to spit it out

Some kind of wax scale insect, maybe?

GDdCWMm.jpg
    we actually found 2 cicadas this past weekend. Pretty awesome for my boys who were a bit shocked by how loud they actually could be.

camo_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Cicadas are awesome bugs. Possibly one of my favorite species.
    I just like the thought of a big stupid bug that doesn't have a stinger, doesn't bite, and really relies on its buddies getting eaten in sufficient numbers to fill the local predators up as it's primary means of defense.
    The fact that they're loud and annoying as all get out is just a bonus.

edited August 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Some kind of wax scale insect, maybe?

Yes. Almost 100% certain that this is Florida Wax Scale (Ceroplastes floridensis)
    The little horned bastards are second and third stage instars, while the larger ones are fully grown females (so far the species appaers to have no males).

P.S: The little gits actually build a wax-like shell on top of themselves. The bug itself is reddish.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Roomate ran into this at the bus stop ( said it was "chasing" him, like would turn around to come towards him slowly if he moved to a different spot)

4-5 inches long/diameter.

6er7ajan9yc8.jpg
    fbzdopf07sau.jpg

We live in West Kelowna B.C.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Looks like a western tiger swallowtail that has had its wings severely damaged

Looks like a western tiger swallowtail that has had its wings severely damaged

I thought butterfly too when he sent it but he said that part on the back was more beetle carapace like, could it have just de-cocooned ( is that a word?) wrong? and still had some stuck on him?

No. Cocoons look different. Could be a failed metamorphosis though. Although it would be incredibly rare that an insect survives (however temporary) a failed transformation.
    I guess we'll have to wait for arch and bugboys opinions.

He said as well the two thicker black pointy things sticking out of the back were legs it was walking on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    A coworker spotted this guy:

https://imgur.com/a/Vh0SYJL

Outside in Ohio, any idea what it is? Looks cool.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I RETURN

That's a Wheel bug, family Reduviidae. It's a "true bug", and they can bite REALLY hard. Those guys are active predators.

It's probably Arilus cristatus judging by the location. If you try and grab it (note: DONT) it will stridulate (i.e. make a loud screaming hiss) and bite the heck out of you.

Not that I....know...from....experience....

Well. There are only two species of crested assassin bugs, cristatus and carinatus. Since you're not in south america it's definitely the Wheel bug. The south american variety also has orange legs from the tibia and out while the main body ranges from grey-brown to a vivid black. "Picking up assassin bugs" is a bad idea everywhere though.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    All that "don't pick it up" stuff aside, that's a cool looking murder-bug.

see317 wrote: »
    All that "don't pick it up" stuff aside, that's a cool looking murder-bug.

Like a minature spinosaurus-insect.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I RETURN
    That's a Wheel bug,

ok so what if we put these onto wheels in the next Dark Souls game

Real question:
    How do you distinguish "true" Monarch butterflies from similar-looking butterflies without catching and killing them?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    l_g wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I RETURN
    That's a Wheel bug,

ok so what if we put these onto wheels in the next Dark Souls game

Real question:
    How do you distinguish "true" Monarch butterflies from similar-looking butterflies without catching and killing them?

1. Monarchs are yellow/orange/white (yes, there are albedo pattern monarchs) with black webbing.
    2. Monarch butterflies have a veined pattern (not a striped like many tiger butterflies). That is, the black webbing on their wings go in a veined pattern out from the root of the wings with no sideways going lines.
    3. Monarch butterflies have a double line of spots at the end of their wings. Their closest imitator (the Viceroy) only has a single line of spots.
    4. Monarch butterflies have white spots on the ends of their abdomen and on their neck. Monarch imitators don't.

I forgot there was a second part to that post when I glanced over it, and was pretty excited to see your four-part breakdown of giant wheeled assassin bugs as video game bosses.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Assassin bugs are sadly underutilized as videogame characters. I think the only game that featured them was Battle bugs, a RTS/Puzzle game back in the 90s where you used various types of insects to take control over food sources.

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I got to experience an assassin bug bite by, well, grabbing one. On our summer vacation last year we rented a house in Croatia, and I picked up a habit of rescuing insects from the pool. Partly because I felt sorry for them, partly because I didn't want to swim in a pool full of dead insects and angry drowning wasps. I knew better than to pick up wasps with my bare hands, but everything else I'd just grab and toss into the lawn. Then one day I thought I was rescuing a beetle, until a searing, stabbing white hot pain informed me that I had made a huge mistake. Fucker thanked me by biting me right in the middle of my palm. I'd rate the pain as considerably worse than a wasp sting, and it took forever for the pain and swelling to subside.

They are really cool insects though, and many species look quite beautiful. In my mind they compete with house centipedes neck and neck for the coolest predatory critters title.

MSL59.jpg
    Today I learned that I got the wrong degree, because I didn't spend six months putting wrestling makeup on wasps and making them fight.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    I just saw my first grasshopper since I got back to the Vegas area this past week and it was HUGE. I told my husband and he said "yeah only the really big ones are left." Otherwise it's like the biblical plague never even happened here.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    ASPhJhM.jpg
    Spotted this shiny boy the other day. Pretty small, about the size of a pinky nail. Locale would be Iowa.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Today I learned that I got the wrong degree, because I didn't spend six months putting wrestling makeup on wasps and making them fight.

Or Wasp fight promoter.

Come one come all to the greatest fight you will ever see.

the part i thought was coolest was how if you gave a high class wasp low tier face paint, he fought harder due to the lack of respect.

camo_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    ASPhJhM.jpg
    Spotted this shiny boy the other day. Pretty small, about the size of a pinky nail. Locale would be Iowa.

Japanese beetle

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn