As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Many weapons I never use the Art. Low-end heals are cheap on Faith requirements, and they're more efficient with Ashen Estus vs. the regular for quite awhile. So, FP for fancy weapon moves wasn't happening.

Some weapons, though, you use almost entirely for the Art. Dagger, Thrall Axe, Greatsword of Judgment, etc. Basically anything with Quickstep or a buff. Perseverance weapons are great for melee casters and slow spells, and several weapons have casting as the Art.

Generic Stance swords never did much for me, though. I find shields easily broken with 2h or a kick, and other Stance moves are usually too slow. I think katanas have good stance moves, but I never used them.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    any weapon art with hyper armor should be at least usable. even the spin sweep on the partizan has it. hyper armor on a teeny little spear is a big deal.

i've been using the spiked mace on my new strength build and that thing as a really good weapon art on it. it's a greathammer with the spin sweep. it can combo R1-L2-R1 reliably, land R1-L2-R2 somewhat reliably. it's got high damage so a three hit combo is a big deal, and it does bleed to boot.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    A lot of Weapon Arts allow for beefy true combos, but that's more a PvP consideration.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/66czaw/nikos_true_combo_emporium/

A lot of them give poise multipliers to weapons without them so you can win trades you wouldn't. Stance on straightswords, for example.

I was going to elaborate, then I realized I've explained poise enough times here that everyone reading gets it if they care, lol.

Kamar on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh I remember going out of my way to use my longsword art to break some guards. Oh and of course Gael's GS Art is the best thing ever. And Farron GS Art too! I think I have a vid of using that thing during an invasion.

Arts were cool in DS3...a bit too anime tho lol.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Well I just bought Dark Souls remastered. I assume at some point I'm destined to rebuy Dark Souls 3 too

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    DS 3 is the only Dark Souls I haven't purchased twice... Yet

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I bought DaS3 twice, because when it came out on XBox One it came out two weeks early in Japan. So I switched my XBox account to the Japan region and bought it there, since you still got the English localized version. Then I got it on PC when that released.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited August 2019
    I think I've only bought DkS twice...OG on PC and Remastered on Switch.

I'll be honest, if DkS2 was rereleased on the Switch I'd buy it. EDIT: I would definitely buy Bloodborne on PC once more.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    bought DS1 four times (360, PC, remastered PS4, remastered PC)
    DS2 three times (360, PC, PS4)
    DS3 twice (PC, PS4)

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I have only bought Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2:SotFS once each, and a friend from the Steam thread gifted me Dark Souls 3 and the first of two DLCs.

All on PC.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I have bought DS1 like five times now? PC, PS3, PS4, Switch, PC again because it was like 6 bucks to buy remastered.

DS2 PC, PS3, PS4

DS3 PC, PS4.

The PS3 versions were because I really liked the Japanese cover art and used copies were really cheap. Switch was just for the novelty of playing handheld.

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I feel bad for you if you slowly walked across the swamp three times instead of dagger dashing.

I had a Dan Carlin podcast on. I had my germaphobe gear equipped. I had a full stamina bar to wreck anything that came along before it could puff up and release some bullshit in my direction. And I was a vet of long nature hikes from DS1. No sympathy necessary, in my case.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I bought Dark Souls 1 three times (360,PC,Remastered), Dark Souls 2 twice (OG, Scholar). I've 100%ed all versions of them.

Dark Souls 3 is easily my least favorite but if it got a Dark Souls 2 Scholar treatment i'd probably buy it and 100% it again.

Luckily for me that's probably not going to happen.

Retry / RKG / Prepare To Try guys attempt beating Dark Souls during one transatlantic flight

https://youtu.be/m7FPI1p-A00

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I bought Dark Souls 1 three times (360,PC,Remastered), Dark Souls 2 twice (OG, Scholar). I've 100%ed all versions of them.

Dark Souls 3 is easily my least favorite but if it got a Dark Souls 2 Scholar treatment i'd probably buy it and 100% it again.

Mad respect for completing all of them.

For me, DS3 was where the series clicked. That’s the first one I completed the story in, and I went on to 100% it. Which got me interested in DS1 and DS2 again. And Bloodborne, for that matter. Go figure. I think the fact that so many people have different favorites is testimony to how great the Soulsborne games are, as a whole.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited August 2019
    started a faith build in DS1 to tick off the sunlight covenant cheevo

left the asylum, did standard suicide run of graveyard, did suicide runs up through the ghost house in new londo to grab a green shard and the cursebite ring, went through valley of the drakes, hit basin bonfire, grabbed red tearstone, used the black knight to set up the red tearstone and killed havel before doubling back for the black knight, killed taurus, went to andre and popped souls and leveled up to hit the req for the bastard sword, bought it, and upgraded it to +5. swung back to the asylum and used red tearstone to get an early stray demon kill, dumped all those levels right into faith to hit 25, then did clean-up on the moonlight butterfly and gargoyles to get my vitality and endurance up a little.

got upgraded the bastard to divine, headed down through the catacombs, down through pinwheel to grab the large divine ember and pick up a few chunks. everything was going extremely smoothly up to this point.

then the pain started. took a few painful runs to get the covetous silver serpent ring. made it to the last bonfire and went human before realizing that leeroy must not spawn until you get the lord vessel. struggled to make it safely back to the first bonfire. kept trying to lure out the black knight but getting demolished because of the skull lantern and some frankly ridiculous crack shooting from the nearby giant skeleton. and the wereskeleton on the way was obviously a nightmare. ended up finally luring the black knight up and taking him down. okay fine, mission accomplished nothing left down here.

i died five, maybe six times to the bonewheel skeletons just short of vamos' bonfire.

i was real mad

Elendil on
    Aistan wrote: »

Mad respect for completing all of them.

For me, DS3 was where the series clicked. That’s the first one I completed the story in, and I went on to 100% it. Which got me interested in DS1 and DS2 again. And Bloodborne, for that matter. Go figure. I think the fact that so many people have different favorites is testimony to how great the Soulsborne games are, as a whole.

Mine was DkS2. What can I say. I then went BB, DkS3 and DkS1.

Elendil wrote: »
    started a faith build in DS1 to tick off the sunlight covenant cheevo

left the asylum, did standard suicide run of graveyard, did suicide runs up through the ghost house in new londo to grab a green shard and the cursebite ring, went through valley of the drakes, hit basin bonfire, grabbed red tearstone, used the black knight to set up the red tearstone and killed havel before doubling back for the black knight, killed taurus, went to andre and popped souls and leveled up to hit the req for the bastard sword, bought it, and upgraded it to +5. swung back to the asylum and used red tearstone to get an early stray demon kill, dumped all those levels right into faith to hit 25, then did clean-up on the moonlight butterfly and gargoyles to get my vitality and endurance up a little.

got upgraded the bastard to divine, headed down through the catacombs, down through pinwheel to grab the large divine ember and pick up a few chunks. everything was going extremely smoothly up to this point.

then the pain started. took a few painful runs to get the covetous silver serpent ring. made it to the last bonfire and went human before realizing that leeroy must not spawn until you get the lord vessel. struggled to make it safely back to the first bonfire. kept trying to lure out the black knight but getting demolished because of the skull lantern and some frankly ridiculous crack shooting from the nearby giant skeleton. and the wereskeleton on the way was obviously a nightmare. ended up finally luring the black knight up and taking him down. okay fine, mission accomplished nothing left down here.

i died five, maybe six times to the bonewheel skeletons just short of vamos' bonfire.

i was real mad

Climbing back out of the catacombs is a nightmare.

I'd rather just keep running from the top bonfires, seriously. Even going all the way into Tomb.

the best part is that i forgot about rhea showing up after capra so i'm gonna have to go back down if i want any of her stuff

might just wait until i get the lordvessel anyway

I ran about the swamp area grabbing the Farron Coal (which doesn't help a ton since I'm not melee main) and a bunch of other things. I wish I could kill those giant crabs forever, but oh well, the greatsword/club duo are done and now I should probably go face off against whatever is in that ruined shrine area with all the undead in it.

Oh, are Black Knights one and done like the original game, or are they respawning enemies?

Pretty sure that they all do.

Most things do, in fact. Those that don't include NPCs (both named invaders and not; the latter usually have unique 100% drops), Sulyvahn's beasts, bosses, and a few disparate one-off creatures.

I think everything that can be farmed (random drops) respawns.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    For entirely selfish reasons FromSoft fans, Metal Wolf Chaos from their early library just came out... and I would really like another Armored Core game at some point. :P Thank you and goodnight.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Most things do, in fact. Those that don't include NPCs (both named invaders and not; the latter usually have unique 100% drops), Sulyvahn's beasts, bosses, and a few disparate one-off creatures.

Doesn't DS2 have a thing were most things would stop spawning eventually unless you used an effigy to bump the area to the next level of NG+?

steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »

Doesn't DS2 have a thing were most things would stop spawning eventually unless you used an effigy to bump the area to the next level of NG+?
    the covenant of champion now causes most enemies to continue to respawn after joining

that said, the game still has shit in it that can only be randomly dropped from one-time spawns, which is highly fucking stupid

edited August 2019
    Though I'm 90% sure that drop rates plummet if you use CoC to farm something for too long in DS2. Though it's one of those things people mention noticing from time to time but AFAIK hasn't been studied heavily.

edit: Here's someone with a little data on weird drop rate stuff in DS2 https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/cac5od/actual_data_on_drop_rate_decay/

Kamar on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    For entirely selfish reasons FromSoft fans, Metal Wolf Chaos from their early library just came out... and I would really like another Armored Core game at some point. :P Thank you and goodnight.

The death trophy is "The Real Metal Wolf".

wVEsyIc.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Dark Souls is a very different beast to 2 and 3

The lack of warping at the start contributes to these feeling where you battle your way to a bonfire then radiate out. All of the shortcuts that loop back really help this.

There's also even less story, and seemingly less lore, than the other two

But my god it's ugly.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    The Abyss Watchers are done for. I beat them on my second try!

I mean, I'm also level 63, so I basically carved through their life bars, but still, a win is a win.

edited August 2019
    As much as I actually like DS2, it can be hard for me to get into compared to the other two.

Probably because all the others, even BB, feel more similar. So acclimatizing takes longer.

edit: Also, rolling always feels/looks bad in DS2, even with a zillion agility so it works fine it's aesthetically displeasing.

Kamar on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    DS2 also has some pretty weak early zones.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I managed to push my hand axe character through the early game...Sinner down, about to fight Smelter.

Belfry Gargoyles are stupid, and I wouldn't be shocked to find out they're one of the hardest bosses in the game at higher NG+ difficulties, since the only consistent strategy seems to be 'rush them down'.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

If I could just jump straight into being a hexxer I'd have replayed that game so many more times than I have.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

I'm not crazy about the middle or late game zones either, really.

uyvfOQy.png
    the main areas i dislike are probably huntsmans copse and no man's wharf

then later on fuck the iron keep

most of the late game areas are pretty great, imo, as is the DLC

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My favorite areas are prpbably Lost Bastille and the Dragon's Aerie.

wVEsyIc.png
  • delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    I just started playing DS2 again. After BB and DS3 all the enemies move so slow.

Only DS2 area I really don't like is The Gutter. But even that I liked more in Scholar for whatever reason. Can't remember if there were frame rate or draw distance issues before, or if it was simply easier to tell in the light where the edges were.

I wasn't huge on 2 of the 3 DLC areas. But, I tend to like all Souls areas more the second and third times through. Those initial journeys are always so harrowing and frustrating, but once you know them, they play out very differently.

Shrine of Amana and the Black Gulch can die in a fire. They're brief but oh so annoying.

Black Gulch does suck. I actually like the Gutter in SotFS. I like the torch gimmick.

I've also grown to appreciate Upper Blighttown in DS1, weirdly. One of my favorite areas now.

This discussion has been closed.