As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Page to call home

VonSnugglesVonSnuggles Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been a Penny-Arcade fan for many years. I just started on the forums, but everyday I check the homepage and see if Gabe or Tycho have added anything interesting. If PA were cereal, I would eat them for breakfast. They have inspired me.

I have been throwing the idea around with some of my buddies about creating a website game related. We don't really have the details yet, only that we want a web site, and, as stated previous, we want it game related. Did I mention we want a gaming-related website?

Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone has any tips about something like this. Like, are there legal hoops we have to jump through, where is a good place to get a domain? (i.e. www.VonSnuggles.com) I know pretty much zip about starting a website, so this is a pretty open help topic. Anything you all know is stuff I wanna know.

VonSnuggles on

• Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    no offence, but if you know zip about starting a website, dont you think you should learn some html, css or whatever coding language/program before you jump into registering a domain?

anyways a registar will charge you a fee for filing a .com, .net, etc domain, and secondly you'll need a webhost providing you service/space on the web to host your goods.

i think i got my domain from namecheap.com.. or maybe it was godaddy.com and it was like $10 a year
    finding a webhost depends on how much you're willing to pay/how much traffic/space you want.. i pay $5 a month for a lower end package, because i dont need a lot of space and dont have a lot of bandwidth used often...

google "domain registrar" and you'll get a lot of choices

drxand? on
  • Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You don't necessarily need to know html/css/php to run a website - I think there are some ready-made publishing engines that you could use for free or a small fee.

I also like WYSIWYG editors, as I'm not familiar enough with HTML to write a page in notepad, but can comprehend the structure enough to do some minor edits in a page made with such a program, if needed.

btw. if you want to test out some php-based pages you can use Uniform Server to easily setup an apache/php server on your Windows PC, after copying all the site files to the respective folder inside the server folder you can access them by going to http://localhost/<page filename>

Uniform server doesn't install anything - just run the start.bat/stop.bat files to start or stop it.
    Very neat.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    drxand?drxand? Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robaal wrote:
    You don't necessarily need to know html/css/php to run a website - I think there are some ready-made publishing engines that you could use for free or a small fee.

I also like WYSIWYG editors, as I'm not familiar enough with HTML to write a page in notepad, but can comprehend the structure enough to do some minor edits in a page made with such a program, if needed.

btw. if you want to test out some php-based pages you can use Uniform Server to easily setup an apache/php server on your Windows PC, after copying all the site files to the respective folder inside the server folder you can access them by going to http://localhost/<page filename>

Uniform server doesn't install anything - just run the start.bat/stop.bat files to start or stop it.
    Very neat.

true, but its good to know what you're getting into at least a little bit in case of troubleshooting or other technical details

dreamweaver is fairly easy to use and layout mode is awesome

drxand? on
  • Options
    VonSnugglesVonSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    drxand? wrote:
    robaal wrote:

Very neat.

true, but its good to know what you're getting into at least a little bit in case of troubleshooting or other technical details

dreamweaver is fairly easy to use and layout mode is awesome

Exactly. This isn't something I plan on doing like, tomorrow. I am going to College for Visual Communications, so web design classes are part of one of the curriculums (sp?)

As for Dreamweaver, I hope to acquire it. Anyone know any sites for good deals on stuff like this?

VonSnuggles on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm also interested in creating a Penny Arcade format site. No sidebars and shit, just a monolithic page. Top banner followed by box of text. A bar of buttons in between the banner and the text if necessary. I don't really have any interest in learning html/php/css just as I don't have any interest in learning how to use a Linux CLI. I stopped that shit when installed Windows 95. No more command typing for me. So in that regard, is it possible to create a site with Dreamweaver or should I go with CoffeeCup? Any other alternatives?

JWFokker on