As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    For me, a bad show is usually because of the crowd rather than the band. I went to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor at Brooklyn Steel (awful, awful venue) last year and people were talking the entire fucking time. A drunk couple in front of me even tried to "dance", possibly ironically, to Godspeed of all bands. It was not cute.

One of the more disappointing live shows I've seen was White Lung, who absolutely rip it on record, but sounded like total dogshit on stage. To be fair, they were stuck playing the 1 PM slot in a Denver parking lot when they should've been tearing the roof off of a dank basement. Best Coast playing Metallica's Orion festival to a crowd of hostile Metallica fans was quite amusing as well.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    The worst band period that I've ever seen was a guy with a black fedora, and oversized black button down, and a wallet chain shuffling on stage with a group of people who were quite obviously hired guns, "singing" brilliant "lyrics" such as "Doomsday's Coming/All over your face" and maling a dismissive jerk off motion with his hand each time. He started getting in fights with guys in the crowd making fun of him. I think he was opening for... Gamma Ray? It was a quite a few years ago at this point.Truly terrible.

So what you're saying is we can open for Gamma Ray.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ah. I've remembered. Obviously blocked it out of my memory. Atari Teenage Riot, opening for Nine Inch Nails. 1999.

And you can hear it if you want. Live at Brixton Academy, a live album. They played no songs from previous records; literally just harsh noise for 27 minutes and then they fucked off. (The album is literally one untitled track.)

I remember I thought some stuff off their previous studio album, 60 Second Wipeout, was alright. Went to the show with a mate who was a big NIN fan and who'd played me that ATR stuff. Both of us came away from that puzzled, disappointed and uninterested in anything ATR since.

At least NIN were very good that night. Thankfully.

But still. Of every live album to "be on", I'm on that fucking one.

Jazz on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Who talks during Godspeed oh my fucking god

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Best Coast playing Metallica's Orion festival to a crowd of hostile Metallica fans was quite amusing as well.

Lmfao why

Is that fest still going? Only payed attention to the first couple years

Edit: oh whoops that’s because it only went for two years

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I once waited 5 hours in what amounted to a field with a bunch of drunk college kids in order to see Saliva take the stage at two o'clock in the morning. To be fair, it was my date's idea.

(We broke up not long after that.)

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Tool was far from the worst band I've ever seen live, but the last time I saw them I'm not sure half this forum was even born yet.

• Options
    The worst band period that I've ever seen was a guy with a black fedora, and oversized black button down, and a wallet chain shuffling on stage with a group of people who were quite obviously hired guns, "singing" brilliant "lyrics" such as "Doomsday's Coming/All over your face" and maling a dismissive jerk off motion with his hand each time. He started getting in fights with guys in the crowd making fun of him. I think he was opening for... Gamma Ray? It was a quite a few years ago at this point.Truly terrible.

So...Neckbeard Deathcamp?

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I once waited 5 hours in what amounted to a field with a bunch of drunk college kids in order to see Saliva take the stage at two o'clock in the morning. To be fair, it was my date's idea.

(We broke up not long after that.)

I was about to post some shitty Saliva lyrics but apparently the song I was thinking of was by Seether???

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    One of the more disappointing live shows Ive seen was White Lung, who absolutely rip it on record, but sounded like total dogshit on stage. To be fair, they were stuck playing the 1 PM slot in a Denver parking lot when they should've been tearing the roof off of a dank basement. Best Coast playing Metallica's Orion festival to a crowd of hostile Metallica fans was quite amusing as well.

I missed White Lung when they played, I guess I lucked out? Flamebroiled have you heard the new Brutus album, Nest? It's incredible stuff, if you enjoy White Lung I think it's a safe bet you'll dig it.

autothrall on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Seconding that Brutus album. I get kind of fatigued if I listen all the way through but there are some real bangers on it.

Also, I was definitely at that Godspeed show.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I liked Tool better when they were called Green Jello.

• Options
    yeah that Brutus album is killer, probably my favorite "hard rock" album this year, though White Lung supposedly have another one coming up. Speaking of hard rock, I really enjoy this spooky track from evil shoegaze band Just Mustard. The drums sound like a serial killer pounding on your door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hGjXhZN6CM

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I saw Nevermore open for... either Opeth or Dimmu Borgir. The lead singer was clearly drunk and kept moving the mic away from his mouth for the first couple of songs. He stopped though and they finished their set well.

I saw Isis open for Tool in 2006, I think. I enjoyed them, but nobody else did.

Probably the worst band I never saw was The Beta Band. They opened for Radiohead in 2001 but we missed them because we were waiting for our tickets to arrive. We could hear them though, and they sounded like they sucked.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Listening to new Tool again. Figured a joint would assist in my appreciation. I was wrong.

Now it’s just annoying in places. It went from okay, to boring, to annoying. There’s nothing new here. Adam Jones is playing the same riffs, Danny is still fucking about with exotic percussion, and Justin is still laying down that sweet bass. Maynard sounds like he has utterly lost his edge. He used to hate, now he seems cynical and fearful.

What a bummer.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    @autothrall Not a metal question but close enough. My gf and I recently got Eldritch Horror (only got the first expansion so far, planning on picking up the others over the next few months) and I was wondering if you have any ambient suggestions that we can play in order to enhance the experience :)

• Options
    Finally got around to the new Misþyrming, really digging it. This is the kind of black metal I really love, they forego atmospherics and get straight to the point, but it still has a melodic side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-7cnMAApk

(apparently this song title translates as Iceland, Castrated Dump?)

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Yea, the song is about how Iceland is a shitty place for life. Not so much how the nation is shitty, but the land itself and how nothing grows on it.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    @autothrall Not a metal question but close enough. My gf and I recently got Eldritch Horror (only got the first expansion so far, planning on picking up the others over the next few months) and I was wondering if you have any ambient suggestions that we can play in order to enhance the experience :)

When playing any of the titles in the Arkham Horror board game family here, we usually opt between dark ambient music ala Atrium Carceri, Raison d'etre, Nordvargr, period-specific music from the late late 20s or 30s, like jazz, swing, dance, and blues, or anything from a huge library of horror soundtracks, largely classical stuff that doesn't get too intrusive with its instrumentation. So for instance we won't play a lot of funky Goblin soundtracks for those particular games, but anything orchestral with some eerie parts, sudden swells, etc.

Of course everyone's mileage varies...you don't have to stick with what even makes sense, so you could put some creepy metal, Gothic rock, Gothic surf rock (I used this stuff for the battles in an entire D&D campaign and it ruled), whatever your particular group feels like.

But for immersion in Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror (board or card games), Mansions of Madness, or the Call of Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu RPGs I stick with one of the groupings above. If ever playing Achtung Cthulhu! we thrust straight into wartime jingles and popular 40s sounds.

Don't be afraid to use sound effects (storms, etc), or even just a little radio crackle filter in a simple audio editor to the Oldies, really adds another dimension.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Finally got around to the new Misþyrming, really digging it. This is the kind of black metal I really love, they forego atmospherics and get straight to the point, but it still has a melodic side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-7cnMAApk

(apparently this song title translates as Iceland, Castrated Dump?)

This album kills. You've probably already gotten the new Sinmara for more Icelandic genius but if not, totally do, it's tremendous. The last Svartidaudi as well.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Yea, the song is about how Iceland is a shitty place for life. Not so much how the nation is shitty, but the land itself and how nothing grows on it.

You mean, they didn't invent hakarl just for shits and giggles?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    New Gatecreeper. Really liking this one. Slow, steady and brutal, like a steamroller crushing a box of kittens.

https://youtu.be/QTCzhn0jM8o

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    New Gatecreeper. Really liking this one. Slow, steady and brutal, like a steamroller crushing a box of kittens.

https://youtu.be/QTCzhn0jM8o

Is it just me or is the artwork very Tomb Mold inspired?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Might be by the same guy who did the second Tomb Mold album. Look it up.

My new Destruction CD arrives tomorrow but I'm going through the promo, here's the video they dropped a couple weeks ago. The video itself is dumb, but the tune it pretty tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc5uyQYLaVc

Also a new Lord Gore album! Wasn't expecting that.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Oh hey, a new Blut aus Nord is coming out

35CRp6MXCRVvjgTKjm9BKF-650-80.jpg

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The year of black metal continues

They’re repressing Ulver’s trilogy later this year too

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Insomnium has an album called “Heart Like A Grave” for pre-order...

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm starting to get wacky for FLACky guys, I just listened to both Svartidaudi albums in that format on my PC speakers and the flesh literally flayed from my face and it's stuck to the wall of the office behind me while my skull bangs on. No the format is not new to me, but I'm just noticing so much more power and detail, just another of those gradual micro-awakenings we undergo on the way to true enlightenment (i.e. death).

autothrall on
  • Options
    Now go big on acoustic room treatment

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'm starting to get wacky for FLACky guys, I just listened to both Svartidaudi albums in that format on my PC speakers and the flesh literally flayed from my face and it's stuck to the wall of the office behind me while my skull bangs on. No the format is not new to me, but I'm just noticing so much more power and detail, just another of those gradual micro-awakenings we undergo on the way to true enlightenment (i.e. death).

Yeah, I've been on the FLAC train for a while now. I only use it for bands/albums I really like due to space, but I always prefer it.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Iron Maiden was great last night, but I’m looking forward to the second show tonight cuz I’m sitting closer... I also met up with Llama who used to post here (maybe in this thread? He couldn’t recall). Nice guy!

Then I went to the Royal Ontario Museum this afternoon and checked out an exhibit of Kirk Hammett’s horror and science fiction memorabilia, which was extremely cool!

• Options
    False played their new album in its entirety tonight

It was good

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    znytjsk26bf7.jpg
    I bet this guy listens to baaaaalack metal.

• Options
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Demons & Wizards recently played at Wacken. There's official video of the whole thing and damn, I wish I could make it to one of their shows here. Sounding pretty good based on hearing them play the first song.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    We are a strange group. We poop on certain figureheads of the genre for changing core aspects of their sound but then do the same to bands who continue to make music similar to what they always have then laud others for doing the same.

I like tool. So I thought the new single being a mesh of AEnima and Lateralus structures was perfectly fine. Ill save full judgement for the full album.

And on this same vein the new Slipknot is.... comfortably familiar I suppose.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    One likes to believe in the freedom of music
    But glittering prizes and endless compromises
    Shatter the illusion of integrity
    - Rush, "The Spirit of Radio"

And Rush were a band who changed a lot over the years. Forever integrating new things into their sound, but still maintaining a core that was, inescapably, Rush. And (this is the critical part) consistently making damn good records, however much the sound did not stay consistent. But it always had that integrity.

I think that's what it comes down to and it'll always vary by band/artist/act. On the flipside (but covering a similar era), a band like Motörhead never really changed. Maybe they'd branch out enough to do one song that was a bit different on an album, but really, they didn't change much, fundamentally. And for them, that worked too.

I've got no opinion on the Tool track as I've never cared for them, am not interested and haven't bothered listening. But just wanted to chuck in two cents on the "change or stay the same" issue. Either can work just fine... or not.

If it has that integrity, and is good (for whatever your own subjective definition of "good" is), then that's enough, really.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, there's no hard rule for sound progression. It can suck, or it can succeed. I'm always fine with it if it goes in a good direction. Usually this is a gradual process but once in a while a band will surprise you with a more abrupt shift.

autothrall on
This discussion has been closed.