As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options

wonder if that will change how lootboxes are incorporated into games in the future...

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why is it always a picture of the Overwatch box for these articles? Fortnite is significantly more popular now

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I dont think fortnight has lootboxes

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Oh damn you're right they got rid of them. My gamer cred...

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Oh damn you're right they got rid of them. My gamer cred...

look at this fake gamer forumer over here...

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think not knowing about fortnite increases the gamer cred

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Never heard of Fortnite? I'll do you one better. What the fuck are videogames?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Video James? Haven't met the fellow, sorry.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

What's this internet I keep hearing about?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

What's this internet I keep hearing about?

A huge mistake.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    But to give a real answer, I think it’s because the OW lootbox is actually called a “Loot Box” instead of a crate or supply drop or whatever, and it also had a very distinct look compared to the boxes that other games use. While it wasn’t the first, it was one of the most popular boxes to be shown, and now that image has become shorthand for All Lootboxes (much like how you can show a picture of Mickey Mouse and you know the article will be about Disney)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    OW Lootboxes have also become ubiquitous to the point of them selling Lootbox merch

You can go buy a OW Lootbox piggy bank or capsule toy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    I think not knowing about fortnite increases the gamer cred

fortnite pretty much invented videogames though

Wu3cxPW.png

it is known

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    oh god that hurts soooooooo much...

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Game on home video? It would never work!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Electronic telegames? Pish posh!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I bought Dishonored 2 (and Death of the Outsider) when it was on sale recently. There was a loading screen tip saying there's no wrong way to play, but the high chaos ending kind of felt like a bad ending. Towards the end Emily's dialogue started to get real murder happy.

Then again, I did kind of not really bother with stealth and murdered everyone that got in my way.

• Options
    So Die, the fantastic hot new Image comic book from Kieron Gillen (formerly of Rock, Paper Shotgun) and Stephanie Hans came back today and the issue had some...very pointed commentary on game development and how it is widely reported

For context, the book follows a group of adults who were sucked into a homebrew RPG as teenagers, Jumanji style, and got out after being gone for months (years in the game world) and carrying some hefty psychological and physical scars.

Then they get sucked back in 30 years later.
    i80erdlvhjjv.jpg
    z7i31ssrrj4e.jpg
    6ypqwkmioxr2.jpg

The back cover features a lone quote

" 'There's a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,' says Warren Sector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex." - IGN

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    man

I agree that crunch is bad and the video game industry is fucked

but i can't think of any context where writing like that isn't horribly stilted and out of place

like you're inside of a nightmare world with skeletons and giant awful spider mechs

and you're talking about not getting into the credits of a video game?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    A Thief reference? I'm actually impressed.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    man

I agree that crunch is bad and the video game industry is fucked

but i can't think of any context where writing like that isn't horribly stilted and out of place

like you're inside of a nightmare world with skeletons and giant awful spider mechs

and you're talking about not getting into the credits of a video game?
    The whole book is exploring their personal traumas they experienced in the 30 years between games through the lens of being brought back to the world they spent years of their lives in as teenagers

Like she segues into
    how being at the office led to her having an affair with a co-worker and led to a divorce and her kids lashing out at her for both cheating and being bi

It is pretty well justified in the book, I just only included the specific game dev stuff cause that's what this thread is relevant for

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Well, let me put it this way

those panels did not make me want to read that book

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Okay!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i hope you've learned your lesson about gamers blankzilla!!!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I have never learned a lesson in my life and I'm not going to start now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Die is extremely good and everyone should check it out

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I fell into a stick-figure shaped hole over the last couple of days - I played a bunch of West of Loathing. That game is supercharming and actually funny (which is really hard in games imo). I'm a silly-walking, bean-slinging lady with smelly shoes and I love it

e: also I have a friendly goblin named Gary with me

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I love the humor in Kingdom of Loathing, and what I've played of West is equally silly. Stupid walking is inspired.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just started playing Heat Signature and wow, what a neat game.

I can't quite manage my dream rescue of swapping with the prisoner and then catching them with my pod on remote... I keep accidentally spacing people. But it's so fun how willing the game is to generate both super-hard stealth-action puzzles and to let you come up with a super clever plan that bypasses all that work.

Edit: Also it just took me a month or so to finish playing Two Point Hospital which is another very neat game, so based on that I will just barely maybe finish the games I bought last Steam sale before the next one, and I was trying hard to keep it in check.

I don't like exclusives because they're annoying but I also need to reckon with the fact that they're not that annoying since I have 500% more media available than I have the ability to actually engage with.

Oh also check out the Ode to a Moon demo it's awesome. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056680/Ode_to_a_Moon/ it releases next blood moon. So... January 10 2020, maybe.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    Tamin wrote: »
    A Thief reference? I'm actually impressed.

Kieron Gillen wrote a then-somewhat-famous PC Gamer UK review of the original Deus Ex that was just him exhaustively recounting like six or eight different ways that he approached a particular level in the game, and he also did a long thinkpiece about the Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief 3; that kind of deep dive was an almost unheard-of novelty back in 2004. He's super in the tank for the Origin/Looking Glass/Ion Storm/Irrational bloodline of games and I think used to post in the TTLG community back in the day.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
  • Options
    I have literally 0 hours in all of those games

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Games are bad

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    No, that's accurate. I used to skip lunch to play the Star Wars CCG in the library, so the fact that I've done nothing but play Slay the Spire for the last three days is pretty well depicted in that image.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Games are good, actually.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Games are good, actually.

Bullshit

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Where’s the pervert game table

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I didn't eat in the cafeteria in high school.

I sit with no one.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Where’s the pervert game table

The GTAV table is there on the right.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.