As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Are there a lot of these? I had only seen the webcomics one.

Also, wouldn't the whole point be to have multiple things at each table?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=where you sittin&src=typd

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

No, it's trying to ask what "clique" you're in, not what clique the games are in. In this case it's asking what big popular timesink game do you put your time into.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Between my wife using it as the main PC for her local government political campaign and our housemate discovering Civ VI last month, I've hardly been able to get near my PC in weeks.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also the two fucking timesink games I would conceivably consider myself A Player Of aren’t even on there

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Put me at the BMX XXX table

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Between my wife using it as the main PC for her local government political campaign and our housemate discovering Civ VI last month, I've hardly been able to get near my PC in weeks.

You're not thinking politically - help your wife win and then start bringing in that sweet lobbyist money, then you can buy a dozen computers!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

No, it's trying to ask what "clique" you're in, not what clique the games are in. In this case it's asking what big popular timesink game do you put your time into.

If you look at Brolo's link, many examples of this thing (including the one that was posted in the webcomics thread) group multiple things together at each table. Of course that doesn't really work with big timesink games since they dominate your time and prevents you from playing more than one. I guess I agree with the twitter person calling this a bad version of this meme.

And I have definitely spent too long thinking about this already.

• Options

Here’s the definitive one, for all the Rami Malek fans

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

You're not thinking politically - help your wife win and then start bringing in that sweet lobbyist money, then you can buy a dozen computers!

Hey, I didn't say there wasn't a long-term goal here, merely that in my current circumstances I am presently inconvenienced.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also the two fucking timesink games I would conceivably consider myself A Player Of aren’t even on there

Yeah, Warframe and Starbound aren't on there, and lately No Man's Sky has been taking up time again as well.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just played a mission in Heat Signature where the goal was to assassinate an armored target who explodes when they die using only an armor-piercing sword. Also some of their guards were explosive. Luckily, you can throw the sword with deadly accuracy. UNluckily, I threw the sword with deadly accuracy at an explosive guard before I got to the armored target. Which wouldn't be a problem, except that they were in a room with a window... which they blew up.

I was blown out of the window along with their bits and pieces and also critically: the armor-piercing sword. So I picked myself up with my drone remotely and got back to work on the ship, sans sword. I take out a lot of the folks on the ship with a wrench to the noggin, but when I meet the target, having forgotten they had armor, I find myself at a loss. So I use a key-cloner to grab their security card, teleport behind them, and raid a safe on the other side of the ship using that stolen card. The safe has a Swapper in it, which lets me switch places with any target in a small radius. I run to my drone, line it up as close to the target as I can, and eject into space.

One shot of the swapper later, and I remote my drone back to the entry point and saunter back to it through a bunch of concussed guards right before I get the assassination complete pop-up.

This is a very good game!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

Yikes. Minecraft it is, I guess.

I'm assuming the point is to consider who you'll be sitting with rather than why.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm strongly of the opinion that the table meme only works when you're subtly grouping together things that are similar, but will get into a bunch of fights

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i'm strongly of the opinion that the table meme only works when you're subtly grouping together things that are similar, but will get into a bunch of fights

So, this forum?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Moriveth wrote: »

I’ve watched all of NCIS and I don’t remember most of these.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I would still be playing a lot of Overwatch but I fucked up my left hand playing it too much so I have to not play any kbam games until an unknown point in the future.
    Possibly forever? Gaming is truly the most dangerous game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

So, this forum?
    How dare you.

This insult cannot be countenanced; now we fight.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I thought it was jai alai?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    A Thief reference? I'm actually impressed.

Kieron Gillen wrote a then-somewhat-famous PC Gamer UK review of the original Deus Ex that was just him exhaustively recounting like six or eight different ways that he approached a particular level in the game, and he also did a long thinkpiece about the Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief 3; that kind of deep dive was an almost unheard-of novelty back in 2004. He's super in the tank for the Origin/Looking Glass/Ion Storm/Irrational bloodline of games and I think used to post in the TTLG community back in the day.

oh, man, ttlg

popped over there for a minute and it's like pure nostalgia.

(also apparently my brain is perfectly capable of instantly calling to mind a username/password that I haven't used in years, but struggles to piece together commands I studied three weeks ago. hurrah.)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The Borderlands 3 saga continues

A Youtuber, SupMatto, posted a video about Borderlands 3 leaks back in April, after a Twitch account being used to test the Twitch features of the game (like spawning enemies onto a broadcaster's stream) was discovered. He did not make the discovery but took thumbnails from the streams before the account was wiped/made private and reported on content that was shown.

He has since posted a video claiming that 2K/Gearbox has since flooded his channel with copyright strikes as well as sent two private investigators to his home to question and, in his words, intimidate him.

2K has defended these actions, seemingly confirming they are accurate, by saying they are "maintaining the security of their confedential trade secrets".

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Basically another facet of the whole "It's easier for companies to exploit influencers than larger media entities" deal

Like if Kotaku dropped a bunch of hot BL3 leaks, the worst 2k would do is get huffy and stop sending them shit to review

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I would be thoroughly unsurprised if Randy Pitchford personally demanded they target and harass this person

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I think thats understating the amount of pressure put on game "journalism" websites.

Theyre press release webites for a reason. 6/10 (isnt it up to 7 or 8 now?) reviews are a shared joke for a reason. Journalists will be fired, sometimes directly but more ofyen indirectly, for not being positive towards AAA game companies.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Even if 2k were to attempt to put pressure on one of the larger sites, they are all backed by major media companies with people to deal with that

2k wouldn't send hired goons to go scare the person that published the leaks because you can't do that shit

Unless you're just dealing with Some Dude from the Internet, which is how publishers like it, because they can basically do what the fuck ever

EDIT: Oh nevermind you just have some weird axe to grind with games websites

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Basically another facet of the whole "It's easier for companies to exploit influencers than larger media entities" deal

Like if Kotaku dropped a bunch of hot BL3 leaks, the worst 2k would do is get huffy and stop sending them shit to review

Giant Bomb literally exists because a publisher got so mad at about a negative review that they successfully pressured the management at Gamespot to fire Jeff Gerstmann, who had worked there for over a decade.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Giant Bomb literally exists because a publisher got so mad at about a negative review that they successfully pressured the management at Gamespot to fire Jeff Gerstmann.

A thing that has virtually never happened before or since, and became such a huge deal that a large chunk of their editorial staff left

• Options
    Yeah that was 12 years ago at this point and was a pretty huge moment of change for a lot of the larger sites

Obviously you'll still have sites that have some questionable sponsorship integrity but your Kotakus and Gamespots and whatnot are far more transparent about their inner workings and work to maintain their journalistic integrity at least as far as not just farting out press releases and giving an extra point or two cause the publisher bought 50 grands worth of ads

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess I didn't think that one through all the way.

Don't post under the influence, everyone.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I would still be playing a lot of Overwatch but I fucked up my left hand playing it too much so I have to not play any kbam games until an unknown point in the future.
    Possibly forever? Gaming is truly the most dangerous game.

I'm both pretty sure I am very close to this point, and also pretty sure I won't do anything about it until it's too late and I'm forced to stop.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The thing a lot of people are missing or leaving out is that SupMatto was selling access to a private Discord server with other leaked content: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/07/take-two-addresses-investigation-into-borderlands-3-streamer-leaks
    That's the part that got him in trouble, though sending goons to somebody's house is fucked up.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I wish I could be a goon.

Does anyone need to hire a goon? I can do goonish things! Like, uh, lurk? And talk shit?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The thing a lot of people are missing or leaving out is that SupMatto was selling access to a private Discord server with other leaked content: https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/07/take-two-addresses-investigation-into-borderlands-3-streamer-leaks
    That's the part that got him in trouble, though sending goons to somebody's house is fucked up.
    This wasn't mentioned at all in the article I saw, which is very good reporting from that site

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    If investigator goons showed up at my house I'd tell them to fuck right off.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    But the telephone is so impersonal

I prefer the hands on touch you only get from hired goons.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Even if that's the case, it still sets a dangerous precedent that if a company(a company that makes fucking video games even) doesn't like what you're doing they may send thugs to your house. What did they possibly think that a private investigator could accomplish that the standard legal nastygram and copyright strikes wouldn't be sufficient for if not direct intimidation?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    If investigator goons showed up at my house I'd tell them to fuck right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aax_zyDG61w

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    A Thief reference? I'm actually impressed.

Kieron Gillen wrote a then-somewhat-famous PC Gamer UK review of the original Deus Ex that was just him exhaustively recounting like six or eight different ways that he approached a particular level in the game, and he also did a long thinkpiece about the Shalebridge Cradle level in Thief 3; that kind of deep dive was an almost unheard-of novelty back in 2004. He's super in the tank for the Origin/Looking Glass/Ion Storm/Irrational bloodline of games and I think used to post in the TTLG community back in the day.

oh, man, ttlg

popped over there for a minute and it's like pure nostalgia.

(also apparently my brain is perfectly capable of instantly calling to mind a username/password that I haven't used in years, but struggles to piece together commands I studied three weeks ago. hurrah.)

When the world ends and people need to know the names and resumes of obscure character actors I will finally have my day

This discussion has been closed.