As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A very big [house] in the country

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    buddy is here putting down the first layer of drywall mud/taping seams. Hopefully by Saturday we'll have everything done and painted!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    were they bbqing something on the front porch there or what?

Florida, so probably deep frying a turkey. Fires and explosions happened a lot when that first became a thing.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've got my bank set up to text me every time there's a transaction over $100. So every month when my mortgage payment goes through I get to have a minor panic attack delivered directly to my watch before I remember "Oh, yeah. I did this."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I had something like that set up with my own bank account. You got a bit obnoxious after a while so I shut it off.

My paycheck deposit,
    My wife's paycheck deposit,
    My cc payment (from my checking)
    My cc payment (to the cc)
    My car loan payment (from checking)
    My car loan payment (to the loan)
    Etc.

It was ridiculous.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I've got my bank set up to text me every time there's a transaction over $100. So every month when my mortgage payment goes through I get to have a minor panic attack delivered directly to my watch before I remember "Oh, yeah. I did this."

The payments were coming from inside the house!

Speaking of house payments, our refi went through. With the cash we're getting, my wife will be able to pay off all the student loan debt she accrued in getting her master's degrees(along with all cc debt), and we'll still have extra on the side. And, because we got a lower interest rate, our monthly house payment will decrease by about $100/month.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My current choices in this thunderstorm are:
    - close all the windows and stifle or
    - open all the windows and get the floor, curtains, and a fair amount of furniture soaking wet because Boston doesn't believe in eaves, for some godforsaken reason.

Close the windows.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    - open all the windows and get the floor, curtains, and a fair amount of furniture soaking wet because Boston doesn't believe in eaves, for some godforsaken reason.

Yeah that's dumb as hell. I always cringe when I see houses being built in Australia without eaves, because holy shit your whole house is going to be an oven all year round...

Kaplar wrote: »
    Close the windows.

the choice of a landlubber

Close the windows.

The choice of someone who'd rather be uncomfortable for a bit over having internal property damage.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Leave all your windows with small gaps open?

Close the windows.

The choice of someone who'd rather be uncomfortable for a bit over having internal property damage.

I think of it as passive cleaning.

Close the windows.

I think of it as passive cleaning.

Oh. Just sprinkle some fiber on your furniture if you're looking for a cleanse.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Make sure to roll some jade all over it afterwards too

Or rose quartz if your furniture is looking for love

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    ...are we still talking about sofas and book shelves? Or is this some other kind of furniture now.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Loveseats.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

also no tilt & turn windows in Boston I'm guessing?

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

also no tilt & turn windows in Boston I'm guessing?

Not where tynic lives. Further out of the city you'll start to find more modern architecture sensibilities.

Cambridge/Somerville architectural styles got fixed in around 1920 and nobody sees any reason to fundamentally deviate from them. Who WOULDN'T want to live in a long rectangular box with no cross flow that fills up the whole block of land?

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well my big cherry blossom tree is dying. Had the tree doctor come out about a month ago to look at a wound on the trunk. At the time it looked to be just a normal, though gross-looking, wound recovering with normal scar wood growth. And indeed that section of the trunk looks better these days. However just a few days ago one of the large branches abruptly dropped its leaves.

Tree doc looked at the trunk again and discovered basically all of the trunk is dead--he thinks the scar wood is the only tissue supplying the rest of the tree with water. Going to try a series of grafts to bypass the damage, along with a severe pruning in winter once it goes dormant. But overall it's very iffy.

I swear, I have some kinda tree curse. Every single one I plant ends up having a unique major problem.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    One nice thing about having a plumber for a neighbor. The courtesy discounts because we all do favors for each other. I just saved $825 on labor for my bathtub/shower combo install.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So we've owned our house for a little over a year now so I decided to take a look at all our bills to see if we can find stuff cheaper.

Lots of price comparison websites in the UK and the one I like gives you 2 for 1 cinema tickets every week for a year!

Managed to save £20 a month on the house insurance and the same for the life insurance.

Got rid of our TV package and subscribed to a few streaming services and still saved £40 a month.

All these companies rely on people not questioning price rises or looking for better deals.

Father in law is back in Ireland for a while working on his own house (how dare he!) But next summer he's going to re turf the garden and lay a new path/patio for us.

SharpyVII on
    Our goal next year is to install a hottub and lattice cover with wisteria planted.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Woof ok so, last month I accidentally paid my water bill twice. Called the company (its not like a big company its a conservatory out where we live) and told them what happened. Guy said they had no way to reverse the charge and I would have to put a dispute in with my bank. I did, it was a process but I got my $84 back.

Then on this bill theres a $40 charge on my water stuff for my charge back, listed as a "Chargeback fee". What the fuck. So I call in today, yes the only way to get my money back, because they have no way to reverse a payment through their invoice system, would have been to have my bank refund it, and the $40 fee is a standard chargeback fee. If I want to try and get that money back, I have to write a letter to the board of directors of the conservatory, who meet only on the 21st of every month, and if they decide its worth voting on, they will vote on giving me my $40 back, or on not. In the meantime I have to pay it or they will shut my water off.

I can't wait to live anywhere else besides fucking Indiana

That $40 seems like something you should have been told about when you called the first time.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Guys are there any alternative to like the standard internal door with out major renovations?

Story is that if we redo the laundry the way I want the washer and dryer would be in a corner but the laundry door would swing into it and it would be 100% in the way.

Can't do a sliding door due to the entire major renovations, I don't really just want to entirely remove the door, I was wondering if there was like a standard size door that functioned like a bi-fold door or if there is another option I just don't know about.

Doors generally come in standard sizes, with some allowance to be trimmed down to size if the door frame is a little small. Now, when you say bi-fold, do you mean like french doors or like a door with a hinge in the middle? Cos like.. I'm sure we can make something work in that way. Failing that, we can make one.. custom internal doors aren't super complicated... basically a pine frame with 3.5mm plywood stapled to both sides and bam, you got a door. If you want a super pro job, M&B in Bayswater does custom door situations.

I think you can also do like.. a vinyl concertina sort of situation? If that suits better?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've seen standard sized closet style bi way doors before

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The walk-in closet in my new house used to be a hinged door (based on the holes in the frame, at least) and was replaced with a bi-fold, so it looks like you can just put a bi-fold in an existing frame with no problem

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hinge in the middle. Yeah I figured there should be something for sale, but maybe I don't know the right word to search to find the right product.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Hinge in the middle. Yeah I figured there should be something for sale, but maybe I don't know the right word to search to find the right product.

Bifold door shows a bunch of results from homedepot and lowes and such on Google

Any of these fit
    ?

Huh I searched the burning website and found nothing. The standard white one is pretty much the right thing.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Guys are there any alternative to like the standard internal door with out major renovations?

Story is that if we redo the laundry the way I want the washer and dryer would be in a corner but the laundry door would swing into it and it would be 100% in the way.

Can't do a sliding door due to the entire major renovations, I don't really just want to entirely remove the door, I was wondering if there was like a standard size door that functioned like a bi-fold door or if there is another option I just don't know about.

When we got our new washer dryer we had the same problem. I just removed the door and stored it in the basement. Wish I had thought about middle hinged door.

50433.png?1708759015
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Our goal next year is to install a hottub and lattice cover with wisteria planted.

As someone who loves wisteria...be careful with that shit, it's invasive and fast growing and can totally choke out a tree. Maybe email people attached to your states botanical garden or ag college, they probably have ideas on non invasive alternatives.

Showered for the first time in the new bathroom. Soooo nice. Need to get a bath mat though, as that new tub is slick!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah, we had our wisteria trimmed riiiight back last year and now it’s up to the roof again! It’s incredibly fast-growing.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And in Bad Bathroom Decisions, I give you this:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    And in Bad Bathroom Decisions, I give you this:

Nothing bad's gonna happen to that wood ceiling from humidity. No sir.