As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2019 Prep Thread

IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
PAX West is next month people! For whatever reason I just haven't been as hyped as years past (likely my newish job really taking up a majority of my time) but I'd like to know what everyone is doing to prepare!

This year I think I may finally switch from a messenger bag to a smaller backpack because my shoulders can't manage the strain. (Or I need a better strap)

Also doing my darndest to get some cardio in every day to bolster my stamina and checking to see if my shoes are going to go kaput anytime soon.

So what is everyone else doing to get ready for PAX?

• Options
    SkeloticSkelotic Registered User regular
    Mostly just thinking about things to do around Seattle. This will be my second time out in Washington and I did most of the obvious things around the city last year. So now it’s less chaotic. Planning on doing a trip to Mt. Rainier which will be a whole day via one of the bus tours so I don’t have to rent a car and hopefully get an interesting guide.

Regarding bags, I switched a couple years ago to an 8 liter sling bag and it’s been great. Barely sticks off my back but can still hold a couple drinks, and most swag I get outside of maybe a poster.

jokfidrftcm4.png

• Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Not doing much prepping quite yet besides getting my Pokemon ready for PAX Pokemon League, and for trading.

Next month I'll be ordering a foldout chair for lines.

Looking to make some new friends this year, too, so I'll be looking for groups or individuals that want to play Pokemon or console/VR freeplay here and there over the weekend.

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    chubbyninjakttychubbyninjaktty Registered User regular
    This will be only our second time going to pax west (still working on it actually), but the last time, I spent a good amount of effort stalking the forums (which seem strangely quiet this year) for tips on parties, food, and general survival. Here’s what worked well for me last time:
    -I got a con bag that isn’t too heavy like Increaseblue mentioned- I had to take muscle relaxers for a week for my shoulder 😐, but can hold a refillable water bottle, snacks, hand sanitizer, and is easy for to get into without having to disrobe and take out 14 things and a small country to get to what I want
    -I followed the social media and forums of my favorite companies and Pax Parties for clues to parties of interest to me, like the bioshock party and the first Bethesda game days at east
    -I’m trying to make sure my cardio is up to par...but...it’s summer, and I have an inflatable kiddie pool to sit in and drink so...
    -I’m looking for the insoles I got last year cuz they literally make any pair of shoes an appropriate pair of shoes for being on your feet for your entire life for 4 days
    -I’m looking at google maps a lot to plan food and walking routes from our hotel, and coffee, especially coffee, since we’re from the other side of the country and I’m also easily lost. I’m hoping I can smell coffee from the hotel and can follow that rather than my own sense of direction 😑
    -I’m researching the occult to see if there’s any way I can use magic to bring me more money

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Being in my 12th year, I have no real plans anymore. I just show up, hang out with friends, go to Pat Baer's panels, eat lots of Top Pot Doughnuts, and maybe see a video game.

• Options
    SweetCosmicPopeSweetCosmicPope Just Some Dude Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    I haven't started prepping yet, but I'm pretty simple with my approach. My wife, son, and I go and I carry around a backpack with a 3ds, chess, small snacks, and water. I give a cursory glance to the different presentations and stuff, but I only go one day and I haven't seen anything in the three years I've been going that encouraged me to take a couple hours away from my time cruising the booths.

• Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    At this point, just budgeting and doing restaurant/bar recon for the area.
    And prepping my usual packing guide.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    @SweetCosmicPope you had me at "chess." Gotta love the classics. :biggrin:

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Nexis NightmareNexis Nightmare Minneapolis MNRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for small social games to play while in line?

• Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular

I think the majority bring either a 3DS, a Switch, or both. So I'd go with just about anything Mario or Pokemon related, especially if it has multiplayer. Personally, I'm bringing Pokemon games so I can trade and battle with people.

zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular

I carry a copy of Star Fluxx on me. It's small, light and simple.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I carry a copy of Star Fluxx on me. It's small, light and simple.

Any of the Fluxx games are always a good choice. I also usually have We Didn't Play Test This at All in my bag as well. Dice of Crowns is a good one, too.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular

I'm just waiting for Animal Crossing Expo 2020 (aka PAX East 2020).

• Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular

I think the majority bring either a 3DS, a Switch, or both. So I'd go with just about anything Mario or Pokemon related, especially if it has multiplayer. Personally, I'm bringing Pokemon games so I can trade and battle with people.

Magic: The Gathering is still really popular. Any small card games you might have!

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular

Gotta bring your RISK travel edition.

9whjy4vy3s01.jpg

In all serious I second what @midna said, Magic is a great game to play in line. In fact I was taught how to play while waiting in line for the expo hall by these two random people from Hawaii. Factor in that there are often free starter decks given out by WoC and other promotional goodies, it's a great place to start and addiction to images printed on cardboard.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    In all serious I second what @midna said, Magic is a great game to play in line. In fact I was taught how to play while waiting in line for the expo hall by these two random people from Hawaii. Factor in that there are often free starter decks given out by WoC and other promotional goodies, it's a great place to start and addiction to images printed on cardboard.

This. My wife and I learned how to play Magic from a WOTC employee while waiting in for a panel in 2013.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    Now I'm contemplating bringing a bag at all since I'm hearing there will be metal detectors and searches this year.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    @IncreaseBlue they have those at East and while it can be a bit of a pain, I would say just because they do bag searches and have metal detectors is not a reason to avoid bringing a bag

• Options
    @nevermore13 that's fair. We've had them for Phoenix Comicon as well but I always gaze longingly at the people passing through the "no bags" line much faster than me lol

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I am told that at ECCC (which was the first time the extra security was set up at the convention center) there wasn't a separate line for not having a bag. I really hope they change that for PAX. I have also gone to Phoenix ComiCon, that no-bag line was way faster (like close to an hour).

• Options
    They had this at SDCC, and while the bag check is slower, you definitely need that bag to hold any of the free stuff shoved in your face.

Maybe make one person hold your groups bags and get a spot in line for them....

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    LuthyrMagnusLuthyrMagnus Registered User regular
    I was at ECCC this year and carried a bag and camera every day and went in and out constantly, and I do not feel that the metal detectors created much of an issue. If anything it slowed the crowd just enough to prevent the standard Escalator Overload that happens at both PAX and ECCC each year!

• Options
    havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Being in my 12th year, I have no real plans anymore. I just show up, hang out with friends, go to Pat Baer's panels, eat lots of Top Pot Doughnuts, and maybe see a video game.

I'm pretty much at this stage as well. When I first started going, I usually had a whole plan of attack of which panels I was going to, what things I was going to check out on the show floor, etc. Now, I literally just walk around and do whatever lol.

XyqJPIp.png
  • Options
    havok978 wrote: »
    Marino wrote: »

I'm pretty much at this stage as well. When I first started going, I usually had a whole plan of attack of which panels I was going to, what things I was going to check out on the show floor, etc. Now, I literally just walk around and do whatever lol.

This will be my 8th year in a row at West/Prime. I'm the same now, honestly. There might be a few things I want to see specifically (that BAD GOOSE GAME FROM LAST YEAR), but it's almost more enjoyable to just walk around and randomly get in line for something that piques your interest.

That being said, I do have a four day pass, so I have that luxury of simply walking around and not feeling extreme FOMO. If you find yourself wishing you had more time for stuff in a single day, try getting two or three days (if you can, I know this isn't always possible).

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

• Options
    BrandobarisBrandobaris SeattleRegistered User regular
    Now I'm contemplating bringing a bag at all since I'm hearing there will be metal detectors and searches this year.

One way I’ve gotten around the bag line at East is to bring a Flip&Tumble or some other foldable pocket bag and keep it in your pocket until you get into the convention center. Then I’d carry a Switch in hand, and have a bag to put it and anything else I get inside.

PSN: Brandobaris
    3DS: 0817-4905-9201
    XBL: Brandobaris
  • Options
    Now for the most important prep questions, what games do you want to be there?

I'm hopeing Outer Worlds and Atomic Heart will be there, and of course my eternal optimism that Gearbox will announce a new Duke nukem game at Pax...

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I'm super hoping Sayonara Wild Hearts will be there.

I have a suspicion that Death Stranding might be there too...

• Options

I'm hopeing Outer Worlds and Atomic Heart will be there, and of course my eternal optimism that Gearbox will announce a new Duke nukem game at Pax...

A N I M A L C R O S S I N G

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

• Options
    midna wrote: »

A N I M A L C R O S S I N G

Not gonna lie my wife would lose her mind if that's there.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I missed badges this year like a derp! but if I manage to get some, animal crossing or I riot

just a small, 1-person riot, so really it would be more of a tantrum but the sentiment remains the same

also Borderlands 3 and maybe a release date for FF8?!

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."