As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Knuckles (& Sonic) Thread About Not Making Jokes, But Making Warriors.

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited February 9 in Games and Technology
Old thread hit the page cap. Guess it's up to me to start a new one. But with what?

Well, Halloween is coming up... soon enough. How about something scary?

Too intense? Maybe something from the recently-released IDW doin-off comic Mini-series Tangle & Whisper will be more to your liking?

EAyE8qKXUAU-JLn?format=jpg&name=large

(An "Issue 0" preview can be had for free here.)

Still no good? Well, Team Sonic Racing came out a couple of months ago, and besides being a fun, more budget-priced Racing game with a unique twist, it also gave us this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MgbngiiwihM

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Big just wants his Frog merch

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Big just wants his Frog merch

Who doesn't?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2019
    Wonder when they’ll announce the new games(s). They’re in something of an awkward timeframe where the 30th anniversary is now less than years away, so they can just make us wait four years for another game, or try and di two games and end up with another Forces issue (if they’re lucky).

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The easiest thing would be Mania 2, but most of those devs have moved on to a different game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Wonder when they’ll announce the new games(s). They’re in something of an awkward timeframe where the 30th anniversary is now less than years away, so they can just make us wait four years for another game, or try and di two games and end up with another Forces issue (if they’re lucky).

It's weird thinking about how it's been almost as long since Sonic 2006 as it's been between the first Sonic and Sonic 2006.

So, this happened earlier:

I don't know OK KO from the OK Corral, but I hear this ep was pretty good?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    OK KO is so close to OK Go that I'm surprised Iron Maiden hasn't sued them yet.

This is such a crazy yet believably SEGA story.

https://youtu.be/sNxaQ2jAPIk

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sega is a bad company!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Huh. If Sega really was serious about permanently dividing Sonic into two worlds, then that supports the theory that the Mary Sue in Sonic Forces was supposed to be Sonic Boom Sonic.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    While appealing I think some timeline stuff has disproven the notion of Boom sonic in Forces, or at best it was extremely early planning stages that went nowhere. It also shows in how Classic was crowbar'd into the story and makes zero sense compared to avatar, whose story also wouldn't make sense with Boom replacing. Finally Boom was a very Western-focused attempt while Forces was anime as hell trying desperately to attract a Japanese audience.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Sega is a bad company!

Sega is bad and then sometimes figures it out. Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza... they are learning how to sell to someone outside Japan slowly... perhaps with the help of Atlus.

It is weird how much they are shitting the bed with their flagship series though. You would think that would be the most important to get right, but we've seen other companies do worse (Square Enix).

wbee62u815wj.png
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Sega is a bad company!

Sega is bad and then sometimes figures it out. Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza... they are learning how to sell to someone outside Japan slowly... perhaps with the help of Atlus.

It is weird how much they are shitting the bed with their flagship series though. You would think that would be the most important to get right, but we've seen other companies do worse (Square Enix).

To be fair Sonic's a bit of a tough nut to crack, since the type of game fans expect from Sonic isn't really anything made by the competition. There's simply nothing to improve or iterate on.

That said they managed to drop the ball on everything in Forces, including the music. Even the music in Sonic 2006 was pretty good, but the stuff in Forces was crap. Even from musicians they've used before!

I wonder if, based on the video, Sega's still focus-testing and second-guessing what they think will sell, rather than just putting out a good game.

Quiotu wrote: »
    Sega is a bad company!

SEGA is better not when viewed as a singular entity, but more as the gestalt of individual moving pieces that it is.

Probably true of any company, but I feel like SEGA especially so.

Also, despite an enormous list of issues with Sonic Forces, I still managed to enjoy myself throughout-- especially the music.

While appealing I think some timeline stuff has disproven the notion of Boom sonic in Forces, or at best it was extremely early planning stages that went nowhere. It also shows in how Classic was crowbar'd into the story and makes zero sense compared to avatar, whose story also wouldn't make sense with Boom replacing. Finally Boom was a very Western-focused attempt while Forces was anime as hell trying desperately to attract a Japanese audience.

I don't think Forces cared about making sense

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So, this happened earlier:

I don't know OK KO from the OK Corral, but I hear this ep was pretty good?

It was absolutely filled to the brim with references to past Sonic media.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzovS34g7c

This video leaves out that the villain (voiced by Jim Cummings, who also voiced Robotnik in Sonic SatAM) got the Master Emerald by tricking Knuckles off-screen. Also, parts of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog theme play throughout the episode.

Outside of this specific episode, the show often simplifies hands to balls as inspired by the opening animation of Sonic CD (creator Ian Jones Quartey confirmed the inspiration).

The OK KO crew loves their homages, references, and deep cuts. For example, they had a crossover episode with Steven Universe, Ben 10, and Teen Titans Go set in the "CN City" used for interstitial branding from 2004 to 2007.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I watched that Sonic Boom video and it's painful how much Sega doesn't understand Sonic. Too much relying on obviously inaccurate focus testing to drive what they're doing.

And for the love of God, there's nothing wrong with a Single-Player game. Not everything has to have Co-Op!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I watched that Sonic Boom video and it's painful how much Sega doesn't understand Sonic. Too much relying on obviously inaccurate focus testing to drive what they're doing.

And for the love of God, there's nothing wrong with a Single-Player game. Not everything has to have Co-Op!

Co-op's been in the Sonic DNA since the second game, it's the only reason Tails even exists.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Co-op's been in the Sonic DNA since the second game, it's the only reason Tails even exists.

Tails exists because everything is better with foxes.

steam_sig.png
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    TamerBill wrote: »

Tails exists because everything is better with foxes.

Chicken coops aren't, from my experience.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Sonic Boom is a legit hilarious show and I’m so frustrated they cancelled it and never really did anything with it. It has such great takes on the characters.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Sonic Boom is a legit hilarious show and I’m so frustrated they cancelled it and never really did anything with it. It has such great takes on the characters.
    The latest What a cartoon ( should be up soon for non patrons) and last weeks the deep end podcasts both have Boom writers on as guests

The way they explain it they really seem to have been give free reign

That's so unlike SEGA, which in turn makes it such a SEGA thing to do.

Sega seems to slam between giving collaborators free reign to do whatever and being restrictive jerks.

I'm glad the Boom cartoon worked out, but the free reign strategy also gave us the movie.

I doubt they wanted to give free reign studios tend to be agressive about getting full ip control for a film.

edited August 2019
    I doubt they wanted to give free reign studios tend to be agressive about getting full ip control for a film.

Not always. The Pokemon Company had extremely tight control over the designs in Detective Pikachu, to the point they insisted all models had to be at the same scale as the games. Hell, they went so far as to insist that Pokemon never wear clothes, it's always their skin, which forced the studio to redesign pokes like Machamp and Mr. Mime. I suspect Sega could have had more control over Sonic's design, but for whatever reason they didn't.

Edit: I remember Disney had to jump through a lot of hoops for Wreck-It-Ralph too. The director mentioned Nintendo and Sega kept pushing for Bowser and Dr. Eggman to be bigger and more imposing.

cloudeagle on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R105RY8B5W6HES/

133x0zcfnvf0.png
    The Perfect Horror

August 3, 2019
    Verified Purchase

The Sonic mask is a terrifying, misbegotten accident that parodies the notion of human innovation, not unlike the character's design in the upcoming film that this merchandise is based off of. It is uncomfortable to wear and the eye slits are very tiny, and even when sized for adults if you have a suitably large head you may find some difficult in keeping it properly oriented.

It was the absolute perfect thing to bring to beach day. After suitably horrifying my friends, we all took turns trying it on and clowning around. One latecomer to the party brought a football, which we shoved into the mask, then took to tossing Sonic's head back and forth on the beach, making jokes the entire time. We only stopped when we noticed the colours were running a bit, leaving blue marks on our skin like the stains of God's tears.

This ridiculous, horrific, ill-conceived thing is by far one of the most fun purchases I've ever made in my life and I heartily recommend it. The fun you can have with the Sonic mask is limited only by your twisted imagination.
    Warning: You will not be allowed within 100 yards of a school
    July 28, 2019

As soon as I put on this mask I gained +2 Chungus. People think I'm some sort of blue freakish gorilla monster but they're wrong. I'm a supersonic hedgehog on a mission. When I wear this mask I feel the sudden urge to head-bang my forehead on my car dashboard anytime Hollaback Girl plays on the radio. You will feel invigorated. You will become one with the hedgehog. Also, people might call the cops on you if you wear this around a school.
    :lol:

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Hah, I was wondering if any of the original movie Sonic design merch would dribble out, and here it is.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I really want Jim Sterling to buy one. :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Looks like a ... plush toy?

Better than the alternative I guess...

That's what she said!
    "She," of course, being my wife upon seeing the second image.

I'm hyped for FP2 by my god was that trailer mostly awful. It was like built of nothing but the many cringey moments of the first game's story. Feels like a waste to put their limited resources into that rather than just a pile of good levels with like some, max 5 minute cutscenes between. Still the main character sprites look very good, would love to see more gameplay footage of later levels.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I had pushed the very bad cutscenes from the first one out of my mind until you mentioned them, why would you do this to me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I feel like the painfully awkward cutscenes are part of the charm of Freedom Planet. Are you really being true to the spirit of Sonic if your anthropomorphic animals aren't engaged in a plot that's trying to be 5000% more serious than its aesthetics can carry?

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    I'm just a genesis sonic fan, so the backporting of dreamcast-and-up sonic cutscene quality into genesis fangames is a negative to me yes

BahamutZERO.gif
    Honestly I'd be fine with awful cutscenes if they were 5 minutes max. They seem to drag on up to a half hour in the first game.

But yeah with the whole "adventure" thing they really are chasing down some of that 3D Sonic legacy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Let's not pretend Freedom Planet wasn't 100% also about the developers wanting to immortalize their own furry fanfiction equally as much as the gameplay was meant to be an homage to the Genesis Sonics.

But holy cow did they double down on it for FP2, I really hope the gameplay is innovated to match.

Donnicton on
    It's not fanfiction if they're original characters and settings. An homage or knockoff at worst. Anyway what's wrong with that, other than being compared to sonic adventure cutscenes

BahamutZERO.gif