As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I'm only halfway through Roadtrip and it really just feels like an extended 22 minute episode where they ignored everything from season 4 onward. I suspect it was produced around the same time as the movie. All the depth of character we've seen from Twilight & co. is missing. Worse Spike gets dropped right at the start. What's up with that? G4's last big outing and they cut out Cathy's participation? I really don't like that.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So, we're neck deep into the mid-season Hiatus now. A couple of bits of news (That are actually kinda old by now):

First, the second half of season nine starts airing on August 3rd. Assuming that no interruptions to the schedule happen, the end of G4 will occur on October 19th.

Second, and this is probably no surprise at this point, but leaks of the second half of season nine are occurring on a weekly basis. Episodes are airing two at a time in China, and being released with English audio tracks. At present up through episode 20 has been leaked. This means that series finale spoilers are likely to hit the internet sometime around August 9th. Plan accordingly, as apparently the finale is something big according to the show runners, so I'd predict that people are going to be blabbing about it on social media as soon as it leaks.

Third, the final BronyCon is happening next week. It's looking to be an extremely packed house, with a ticket cap at 11,000 attendees, and that limit rapidly being reached. The convention staff have said not to count on being able to purchase badges at the event. I have tentative plans to be there myself, but hesitation to follow through due to a number of factors (Right now it's a question of whether my social anxiety and misgivings are stronger than my weapons-grade FOMO). Regardless, it's looking to be one heck of a send off.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I will be attending. One last hurrah to meet up with some friends.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I didn't expect there to be an episode about capitalism alienating people from their labor.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Just got back from the final BronyCon.

I lack words, but goodness gracious me was it ever a thing.

10,215 people attended. It was quite the send off.

VuIBhrs.png
    And we only had about half the convention center space as well. Some Rubik's Cube nationals competition had the rest if it, and by how not busy it was I am pretty sure they didn't need most of it.

It was a fun final con, though.

edited August 2019
    Yeah, the lines were insane. Closing ceremonies filled not only the huge main hall, but also a huge overflow hall, and people were still forced to watch outside on a livestream. Good golly, I've never seen a more crowded convention center. In 2015 we had the same attendance numbers, but it was MUCH more space.

It was tremendously fun, if difficult to navigate. I was a part of the Ponies The Anthology team again this year, and we debuted installment number 7 at the convention*. I've never really felt that kind of energy before in my LIFE. It was a crowd the size of which I've never seen, and all of them reacting to our work in real time was just an indescribable experience. It felt like a real proper send off for the project, now that it's over.

Also the vendor hall was PHENOMENAL. It felt like EVERYONE was there, and there was so much amazing art and other merch! I'll have to share some pictures of what I brought home sometime soon. The entire convention was just cranked up to 11 the whole time. Really went out on a high note.

Anthology 7 has released on YouTube if anyone has interest in watching it. I'm not going to link it here, though, because I sorta feel like some of the content went too far (Even as a contributor I feel that way). I'm pretty sure a few parts of it would violate our forum rules.

It still has a lot of hilarious and really cute content as well, though. I feel like it was a strong offering.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Big MLP comics bundle over on Humble Store. $15 gets you basically everything from IDW in digital form.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Big MLP comics bundle over on Humble Store. $15 gets you basically everything from IDW in digital form.

Now to figure out what to read them all on. I'm guessing my Surface Book is going to be my best bet...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited August 2019
    Lots of news coming out today!

First, if you haven't caught it yet, yesterday's episode was super good. I won't spoil anything, but it feels like a nice set up for the series finale, and it was a fun episode overall.

Second, uh... Apparently Australia is going to broadcast the rest of season nine next week, with daily episode releases up to and through the finale.

Which is kind of a serious bummer.

Third, an even bigger bummer is that the entire rest of the show was apparently broadcast already in the Netherlands. It's not in english, but there are plenty of spoiler screenshots floating around.

Social media is awash with spoilers and people being upset over the leak of the end of the show. Including Big Jim, the series director, in a couple of vague tweets.

Not sure how many people are invested in the show still, but I'd be careful out there. The leaks are pretty pervasive, and once we clear next week I'd expect social media and YouTube to be flooded with reactions.

Edit: Seems some people are so upset (either with the leaks happening, or perhaps with what the leaks contain) that they've taken to harassing Big Jim. That's a significant disappointment and a really awful thing to do.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    People harrassing staff are just proving once again that they never deserved this show in the first place. Someone on Youtube put up a link to a subtitled version of the final episode, and I was unable to resist the temptation. Rest assured it's great, but it will definitely be best to watch the episodes in order.

(Spoiler for background event in final episode:
    Lyra and Bonbon got married!
    )

steam_sig.png
    I am doing my best to stay spoiler free, but believe me when I say that it is extremely difficult to do that.

I keep narrowly avoiding spoilers being dropped on Twitter and YouTube. I fear it is inevitable at this point, but I sure don't like it.

VuIBhrs.png
    Yeah, it's gonna be tricky. But even if you get spoiled on like one or two things, don't let it bother you or tempt you to give in. There's so much in the final episode.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2019
    This morning YouTube served up two videos in my recommended feed that were obvious spoiler thumbnails with HUGE ALL CAPS SPOILER TITLES. I'm did my best to avert my eyes and such, but I think a few things got through to my brain - and that makes me disappointed.

I'm still going to try to hold out for the actual finale, so I'm still staying clear for now. I at least want to hear it in English - I feel like I've been on a nearly decades long journey with this show, and it feels somehow wrong not to conclude that journey with the voice actresses that started it all. Maybe I'm being weird about that, though, I admit.

Oh, and a seriously large "Heck You Very Much" to clickbait trawling YouTubers who upload LEAKED SPOILERS with obvious thumbnails and spoiler-rich titles.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    This morning YouTube served up two videos in my recommended feed that were obvious spoiler thumbnails with HUGE ALL CAPS SPOILER TITLES. I'm did my best to avert my eyes and such, but I think a few things got through to my brain - and that makes me disappointed.

I'm still going to try to hold out for the actual finale, so I'm still staying clear for now. I at least want to hear it in English - I feel like I've been on a nearly decades long journey with this show, and it feels somehow wrong not to conclude that journey with the voice actresses that started it all. Maybe I'm being weird about that, though, I admit.

Oh, and a seriously large "Heck You Very Much" to clickbait trawling YouTubers who upload LEAKED SPOILERS with obvious thumbnails and spoiler-rich titles.

Same on all points. I will be holding out for the english VAed episodes and hopefully avoiding spoilers along the way.

Ruldar wrote: »

Same on all points. I will be holding out for the english VAed episodes and hopefully avoiding spoilers along the way.

Which is getting incredibly frustrating for me as the Google Play store is really dragging their feet in getting Volume 2 up >.<

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited September 2019
    IT WON'T STOP.

Apparently episodes 22-26 have been leaked in English now. Along with some unreleased scripts. This appears to be the work of a network intrusion, rather than an early airing.
    It just keeps happening folks! We're here to warn you of another obstacle that could ruin your pony viewing pleasure if you accidentally ran into it online. Instead of a leak it looks like we have a hack, similar to what we saw when a bunch of G5 material hit the net.

Episodes 22-26 have been put on the net in English as well as supposedly leaked scripts for upcoming material related to the show.

Ratchet up your spoiler defenses, or else dive deep into the leaks so that spoilers won't ruin you. The choice is yours.

What I wouldn't give for the ability to just roll this back and have a proper finale. Sigh.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    Finale scheduling details!

So the three-part finale will air on US TV on Saturday October 12th, with a behind the scenes special happening on October 11th. I'd like to the EqD source on this, but the article contains spoilers.

In the lead-up to the finale, starting on October 6th, Discovery Family will be airing a series marathon. Pony Palooza will start at 6 AM on October 6th and run all week during daytime programming until the series finale on Saturday. Seems like a great way to wrap things up.

VuIBhrs.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So I thought of the whiplash that would be involved in watching first season eps again, with everything that's happened since, all the character development; and that led me "naturally" to:

Discord: "So long, Twilight. I'm going to miss you. But all good things must come to an end."

So I thought of the whiplash that would be involved in watching first season eps again, with everything that's happened since, all the character development; and that led me "naturally" to:

Discord: "So long, Twilight. I'm going to miss you. But all good things must come to an end."

There's a gag in one of the upcoming episodes you'll really like.

steam_sig.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I guess everybody's gotta grapple with anticolonial critiques of Indiana Jones nowadays.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    That and the last half or so of the season going in hard on "wrap up as many dangling plot threads and character arcs as we can".

steam_sig.png
    I realize there's a lot to talk about, what with the show rapidly coming to a close, but in the meantime something amazing: The Pony/Magic the Gathering crossover we've always dreamed of.

I need this set so bad. It's only three cards, silver bordered (i.e. not legal), and extremely limited. But that art!

VuIBhrs.png
    Episode 23 on US TV tomorrow. People watching that for the first time: Keep one eye on the background.

steam_sig.png
    For everyone saddened by the show coming to an end: Hold on to your seats, because season 10 was just confirmed!

Of course, it's going to be a comic continuation.
    Hot off the presses at NYCC, IDW Publishing has announced their My Little Pony Comic Books will start Season 10 in April 2020.

The comics will be in the vein of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, and X-Files Season 11 from Dark Horse, the series will continue the story of the show. There will be over arching story arc and slice of life stories. Season 10 will also feature new and returning comic creators, such as Andy Price who had a cover for Season 10 shown at the panel.

As someone who positively adores the comics, I am 100% happy about this!

VuIBhrs.png
    Episode 23 on US TV tomorrow. People watching that for the first time: Keep one eye on the background.

Soooo... Did you spot it?
    wbio35otxu3b.gif

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
    I have a great many emotions about the show ending.

Doesn't feel real.

VuIBhrs.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    See my post of (exactly) a month ago...

steam_sig.png
    edited October 2019
    I don't think we could've asked for a better way to end the show. The finale was incredible. The pacing was good, the writing was strong, the concerns and fears felt like they were relevant in a way I can't quite explain.

The epilogue was absolutely an unexpected, but positively wonderful, touch. After the gigantic season-wide arc coming to a close, having what amounted to a slice of life episode that tied everything together and gave us a view of the future was perfect and appreciated.

I could gush about this finale for hours. There were just so many fantastic little details. Inlcuding
    • Starlight Glimmer is an absolute badass. I love the way she outthinks while she's tussling with Chryssy. She knows she's outclassed, but she puts her strengths forward.
    • The villains scheming and arguing is great. It's perhaps a bit too self aware, but the fact that they justified keeping everyone they captured around made sense. And beyond that, their whole 'turn Equestria against itself' plan was unspeakably wicked. Like, Grogar's bell gave them some massive magic, but the scariest stuff they did that chilled me to the bone was the fact that they essentially inflamed pony racism without any of that.
    • Twilight's freak out felt legitimate, and relatable. We've seen a lot of Twilight freakouts, but this one had justification beyond the others - She really felt undermined in all her previous efforts. She was having a legit existential crisis on the back of feeling like every past achievement was false. Her friends pulling her out of it was heartwarming and perfect.
    • To that point, I really like the fact that it took more than the Mane 6 to get it done. And how their collective kindness and efforts throughout the seasons paid off when everyone else came to their aid. It felt like a wonderful payoff.
    • AJ and RD together made me smile so damn much.
    • Rarity is a stone cold boss.
    • Returning to Joe's Doughnut Shop at the end of the two-parter, as a throwback to "The Best Night Ever"? *Chef Kiss*
    • That final song, right up to the end. The leitmotif of the show theme, and then the book that opened S1E1 closing to wrap everything up, was just perfect.

I'm still overwhelmed, knowing that it's all over. I've been neck deep in the fandom surrounding this show in a way that not many are anymore, and I'll admit this was an emotional finale for me. I know it's not the end, and the finale even told us that. But it's still hard not to get a little choked up about it. Even if that sounds ridiculous.

This was a finale like few shows get, let alone a cartoon based on a popular toy franchise.

Thanks, ponies, for everything.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    Loved that last episode. So many background details to look at.
    Lyra and Bonbon: Officially gay married.
    q32p8gzqdaxh.png

Adult Twist, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara.
    hq21epb227yo.png

Adult Flurry Heart gets a stained glass window.
    kq5467m5o5il.jpg

This was a really nice touch: Applejack is wearing Granny Smiths scarf, Applebloom is wearing Goldie Delicious's.
    wzn8sd96e972.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    q32p8gzqdaxh.png

hq21epb227yo.png

kq5467m5o5il.jpg

This was a really nice touch: Applejack is wearing Granny Smiths scarf, Applebloom is wearing Goldie Delicious's.
    wzn8sd96e972.jpg
    It's a little weird that that window of Flurry's made some assume she's taken over the Crystal Empire. If the timeskip in the last episode was only 10 years then she'd still be a kid seeing as she was a baby/toddler in the present-day.

Also, the decision to give some ponies (if not all) that were adults in the present these wrinkles/bags under their eyes in the future was kinda weird too. Like, I know that happens when you get older but again, (likely) 10 year skip. Wasn't them dressing different or having a different haircut enough to show age?

edited October 2019
    Owenashi wrote: »
    q32p8gzqdaxh.png

hq21epb227yo.png

kq5467m5o5il.jpg

wzn8sd96e972.jpg
    It's a little weird that that window of Flurry's made some assume she's taken over the Crystal Empire. If the timeskip in the last episode was only 10 years then she'd still be a kid seeing as she was a baby/toddler in the present-day.

Also, the decision to give some ponies (if not all) that were adults in the present these wrinkles/bags under their eyes in the future was kinda weird too. Like, I know that happens when you get older but again, (likely) 10 year skip. Wasn't them dressing different or having a different haircut enough to show age?
    The timeskip felt more 15-20 years at least, to me.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2019
    Owenashi wrote: »
    q32p8gzqdaxh.png

hq21epb227yo.png

kq5467m5o5il.jpg

wzn8sd96e972.jpg

The timeskip felt more 15-20 years at least, to me.
    Yeah, after the timeskip Pumpkin and Pound cake are older than the CMC were during the show timeline. That feels like they're at least 20-25 years older to me.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    So far it hasn't really hit me emotionally. Maybe I was just ready for the ending? I dunno.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm catching little bits of episodes here and there but I am mostly waiting for Season 9 to hit Netflix.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited October 2019
    2vjyu7jib062.png
    egophiliac wrote:
    IT’S CANON YO

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    I'm a little bummed out. Before going to bed this morning at 2:30am, I checked the Hasbro Pulse page for the Magic: The Gathering crossover products (a routine I've been doing since they put up the "Coming Soon" pages), and both playmats and card pack were listed as "Coming Soon." Pop in this morning and I see the playmats are sold out. Panicking, I rush over to the card pack.
    75mbkz0d6x5l.jpg

Oh well...at least got one of the sets I was aiming for.

Yeah, super bummed out here. Same deal. I was watching the info page like a hawk, but eventually I had to go to work. By the time I check back in, the playmats had evaporated.

I managed to get the cards, at least. But those playmats are goooooorgeous.

VuIBhrs.png