As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I can help with red and black beans, For white beans I suggest you look to the Internet.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hmmm I'm testing out a new recipe for lemon bars and I just don't know about this crust

On the positive side, I repurposed my leftover freekeh from last week into a cold herb and chickpea freekeh salad and it's shockingly delicious and super easy to throw together

Ahava, you can make minestrone soup? It has beans in and in my family is fairly flexible about being adapted for diets (aka my mom always puts meat in hers but I don't eat pork/beef much anymore so I use chicken sausage and it's still good). Orrrrr Ottolenghi has this recipe which I've always meant to make but haven't tried yet, but that cookbook has never yet failed me.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My mother used to swear by crushed arrowroot biscuits for lemon bars.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Lemon shortcake is legit. Macerated lemons are great.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I usually do shortbread crust for my lemon bars, or a close proximation of it

But I'm always up for trying a new biscuit

Will have to keep my eyes open for arrowroot ones around town

...I do actually have arrowroot flour in my Infinite Dry Goods cupboard, I could try blending it for the shortbread crust next batch I suppose

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I can help with red and black beans, For white beans I suggest you look to the Internet.

Talk to me about your plans.

I really want to try and make a red beans and rice one night. when I'm feeling up to it

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular

I really want to try and make a red beans and rice one night. when I'm feeling up to it

This is my favourite white bean recipe. There're also lots of recipes that use pureed white beans for creaminess.
    I like this one for black beans.

• Options
    edited August 2019

https://youtu.be/Hx0RrafoYGc

In honor of our Jewish friends’ dietary needs my main contribution here is a discussion of replacements for the pork product on display. The chorizo can be replaced with any sausage or sausage-like meat product (I recommend lamb), and the addition of a little paprika or cayenne. You may also do without, as my grandmother only occasionally added chorizo.

The bacon is more of an issue, but there are myriad substitutes out there for bacon. You do, however want something tasty and oily to sauté your onions in to give some life to your sofrito. You can go with a simple vegetable oil and mushrooms, though you will want to do them up nice and boil off as much liquid as possible before adding your onions, because you need to really get those onions good and soft, and the won’t cook right with any moisture in there. Whatever your plan for the bacon substitute, remember you’re going for smoky flavor and cooking oil; texture is not really a factor here, it’s going into a soup.

For the remaining meat, replace as you like: tofu, beef, lamb, whatever sounds tastiest to you. I suspect lamb will probably create a really wonderfully different soup that tastes appropriately country.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Man, I just.

I just really miss bacon.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I dunno if my dough will have risen enough by 10am... I forgot to turn the air off in the other room so it got cool out in the kitchen overnight.

Ok no its risen enough.

I just shaped it into a boule.

I hope it doesn't stick to floured the cloth it the bowl I have it in.

Now to heat the oven and let it do the final rise.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's in the oven. It spread out moving the boule into the oven though...

It smells really good now though.

I hope it's baking up good...

Next time I try this recipe I'm just going to do a loaf pan because I'm terrible at boules especially since this recipe was really wet.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Minestrone soup is great for white beans too.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Lemon shortcake is legit. Macerated lemons are great.

Oh man that sounds so good

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    you guys have rice brands you like? i'm seeing that California basmati rice supposedly has the lowest levels of arsenic (Lundberg Family Farms posts their testing results), at least in the US. but buying <10 lbs. of rice at a time seems like a novelty, so i'm curious if anyone here has done that legwork.
    due to some health stuff, the beau is mainly eating chicken and rice, basically every day (and the chicken probably has arsenic above my comfort level, yes, or camplyobacter, but i can also try to minimize where i can,) so i'm troubleshooting nutrition and unintended consequences even more on the fly. hoping that i can get him to consult a nutritionist, which might happen only if he has to permanently change his diet 'cause he stubborn like that. because while i care, and occasionally do intensive reading and cross-reference shit, i'd like to consult someone with more broad insight, and then tailor their input to his or my needs.

kinda sucks that going local could carry more risk -- Texas being former cotton land, there's a lot of junk still in the soil.

thinking about all the variables makes my head spin. i recently got silicone utensils and straws to replace some old plastic or single-use stuff, and i'm thinking about finding some ceramic/enameled cookware because stainless steel might leach nickel, and and and. so it's a balance between being informed enough to make good choices, but not overwhelming myself with information and conflicting needs or desires and devolving into paranoia that deems nothing safe enough/ environmentally sound/ at the pricepoint or level of effort we can expend, why bother eat at Arby's.

...i need to re-season my cast iron.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    A certain amount of arsenic is good for your skin, fwiw.

It's gonna be difficult to poison yourself with trace elements without eating extraordinary quantities of a single thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but definitely a good idea to get a nutritionist involved if someone's diet has become severely restricted.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    My typical skin care routine is a thorough peeling, followed by a vigorous rub with wallpaper sourced from quite specific homes (I consider economic status, location, and I would obviously not use anything past 1860, despite what people say), and finally a dunk in ice cold water.

I am quickly going broke. But my skin is flawless.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    before i blather, i just want to say i appreciate the reassurance. balancing anxiety vs due diligence ain't easy, so it's good to have the opinions of people i can trust to not just blow me off.
    my thought was increased frequency + rice's affinity for arsenic in addition to whatever we're getting from other sources, direct or via biomagnification. just trying to cut down on irritant load for the immune system/bioaccumulation, ya? (not that i have immediate plans to be a lower link in someone's food chain.)

makes me feel like giving myself the side-eye when my troll for info includes sites touting heavy metal detox

but y'know, to my half-baked logic, it's like lead... there's no real 'allowable' level for kids, so if it creates that much of a burden on their systems and development, why should otherwise-healthy adults permit a bunch of 'low-level' but chronic exposure to that sort of nasty shit, if we can reasonably reduce them? i'm likely going off emotional reasoning more than half-remembered research, but i think it's a question worth asking.

then again, i'm curious how this applies to truly toxic things. are we changing the environment too fast to allow our immune systems to adapt, or is it just overloaded and could handle stressors better if said stressors were reduced in variety? like, given an otherwise ideal immune-challenging/boosting environment, we gonna develop metaphorical filters for smog? i'm being flippant, but it makes me wonder.

anyway.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    While the ideas make some sense, you'd have to eat a wholeeeeeee lot of rice to hit a problem with trace metals. The amounts we'd be talking about you are looking at health complications from probable obesity long before the metals had a chance. Chicken and rice is a great base, toss in some veg if you can and multi vitamin for insurance on the limited diet, you'll still be eating better than a lot of the world. Lentils or beans are also a good add, barring ibs etc.
    On the pans leaching anything, again you are just talking huge quantities of food unless you are using an astoundingly sketchy pan.
    Honestly you probably get more and worse just breathing near a road than you do from a bunch of meals from stainless steel.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I've also read that nutritionists are not a regulated title, dieticians are who you want to talk to usually.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I've also read that nutritionists are not a regulated title, dieticians are who you want to talk to usually.

Correct. Dieticians have to know things and be certified. Any idiot can call themselves a nutritionist.

• Options
    Gonna bring my pristine, unused sukiyaki pan from home this Christmas and make sukiyaki for my girlfriend this winter.

Thinkin’ about gettin’ him a nice cast iron pan baby brother to go with him.

Anybody suggest anything in the way of online learnin’ so I can buy me a nice pan?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Gonna bring my pristine, unused sukiyaki pan from home this Christmas and make sukiyaki for my girlfriend this winter.

Thinkin’ about gettin’ him a nice cast iron pan baby brother to go with him.

Anybody suggest anything in the way of online learnin’ so I can buy me a nice pan?

My mom found me a nice cast iron at goodwill. Needed a bit of cleanup and re-seasoning but it was in perfectly fine shape.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    found out from her teachers that they have red beans in the nachos and chickpeas in the curry that they make the kids for lunches.

So that explains how she knows from beans.

I think we're gonna end up making some smoked chicken and bean soup this weekend. Gonna just open the cans and let her dump them into the slow cooker.

Y'all, she's been showing some real interest in watching/helping me cook lately. Adding spoonfulls of garlic to things (heaping spoonfulls. I'm so proud), helping me cut up mushrooms (and then eating every single one she's cut up), and stirring things together. I am just gonna cry with joy over this, btw.

My baby wants to help mama cook!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That leeching of nickle made me look into it because that's the first I've heard of it.

Looks like the trick to getting stainless steel cookware to do that is long cook times with highly acidic food (like tomato sauce) with very long cooking times (6-8 hours).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4284091/

Very interesting read! Might have to get rid of my stainless steel pot.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Do note, cdc indicates nickle does not really bio accumulate, so unless you are eating a lot of long cooked pasta sauce or have a particular problem with nickle, again, you are having more adverse health effects from the food/going outside/being inside etc. To get a bit Arby's on it, we all die, and it's still good to make health choices in the face of that, but just the stress of trying to maximize the little things like that probably counters any of the negligible benefits.

Ugly looking link

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The chromium was more what I was worried about after reading it.

I'm having a hard time sourcing what type of chromium that is because there are definitely toxic versions of it. Elemental Cr, Trivalent, or Hexavalent. The last one is the bad one. The ore based chromium (which might be used in these pans) is all Cr(VI) I think?

I can't find anything definitive though, but it's such a small cost to me to look for an alternative in this situation for a stock pot I might as well, eh?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I boil all of my food in mercury and I'm perfectly fine.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That's just good common sense - boiling kills the germs.

• Options
    Oh good I thought maybe I was mad.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tomorrow morning I am heading down to the family waterfront property to fish and crab for 3 days

I can't wait to steam a couple dozen crabs in old bay and natty bo

• Options
    Soft shells? Make yourself some clarified butter or bring ghee!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Soft shells? Make yourself some clarified butter or bring ghee!

hardshell I'm afraid (though to be honest, softshells have always kind of skeeved me out)

edit: I'm going to save half the meat for adding to another dish

the other half will be dipped in either: melted butter, old bay, or apple cider vinegar

or all three

edit: the liquor store didn't have natty bo?! in Maryland?! sacrilege. budweiser will have to do.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I appreciate any animal I don't have to peel.

• Options
    Would you peel a squirrel? Richard Hammond won't!

• Options
    Would you peel a squirrel? Richard Hammond won't!

the skin is the best bit.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Richard Hammond only eats beans

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Squirrel pelts could survive escaping and reentering earth's atmosphere.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tomorrow morning I am heading down to the family waterfront property to fish and crab for 3 days

I can't wait to steam a couple dozen crabs in old bay and natty bo

My utter jealousy is through the absolute roof at you right now

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Oh hai everybody, it's the weekend. On Saturday, there are two things planned. One, not really notable, but I have some bavette laying around (flat spaghetti? What will they think of next!), so there'll be some pasta with tomato sauce. I like it simple, so it's garlic, shallots, olive oil, canned tomatoes and tomato paste, simmer that with a bunch of basil and a bit of oregano.

Anyway, it's also time for vanilla+ ice cream round two. The mixture is already in the fridge, should be good and vanilla-y in a few hours. The only thing left is making candied walnuts. Not sure yet whether to roast them before throwing them in the pan with sugar and a bit of water, but I'm leaning towards yes

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    A piece of sausage must have fallen off a pizza, the last thing I baked in the oven. Fired it up today and now the house smells slightly charred. Woops!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.