As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MMMig wrote: »
    ugh, yeah game is crashing a fair amount

worse than before I stopped playing

Dammit, EA/Bioware. Why do you make it so hard to cheer for this thing to succeed?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Harkin you fucking smug cunt

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Got the grabbit ears. :biggrin:
    34hxpn4b856a.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    34hxpn4b856a.jpg

OH MY GOD

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    There are plenty of guides around for getting them but my tip for the last bit:
    Colossus with flamethrower and lightning coil. Lightning coil will auto-zap anything that escapes the flames.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

FYI for the cataclysm event with echos. I'll spoiler in case you want to figure it out yourself, but apparently that's reeeeeaaaalllllllllllly hard for some people.
    You take two echos underwater and use them to drop the barrier.

You take the other two that you get from pressure plates to lower the shield behind the barrier and unlock the fifth.

You take the three from behind the barrier to the final spots, then the two keeping the barrier down.

If you keep taking them to the final spots before getting the fifth one you're just fucking it up for everyone.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    34hxpn4b856a.jpg

OH MY GOD

yeah, guess I'm switching events to work through.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I'm liking the cataclysm stuff so far. I even bumped up my difficulty to GM 2, and its harder but not ridiculously so (probably because they tweaked it to be more doable).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I really like the format for the new Cataclysm. It's a little more non-linear than standard missions and the environment is gorgous, so it feels more open as a result. I think the new puzzle is shitty and opaque, but otherwise I love the openness of it and it has some potential for some really nice environmental storytelling
    It probably won't stop publications desperate to paint the new update as a waste of time for prospective players for the clicks, but I think it sets up the game for broader enjoyment and variety.

There's a few things I'd like to see down the road if they can ever get around to mapping this sort of content:
    I'd love to see a greater range of melee weapon types, not just the same melee animations but with a special effect pasted on top. This update set a really nice bedrock for this in the future and it would be cool to see javelins have access to a variety of weapons with different gear, like an Interceptor with a shock staff or a mini mace/shield combo for Rangers.

I'd like to see more nonhumanoid enemy types. The new enemy types do nothing for me from a gameplay standpoint (they're cool visually), and simply having more monsters to fight with more complex behaviours could really dress the setting up nicely. The world is supposed to be this living, breathing thing that is thematically centered around humans struggling to place themselves on the food chain, so having wackier, more dangerous monsters would just feel right. None of this is probably a simple thing at all, but it would be just really super to see some more depth to the gameplay that informs the world-building.

(So basically, it would be awesome if Anthem was more like Monster Hunter and I didn't really consider the thought until I finished the post. But just imagine! the spontaneity of fighting Anthem's beasts and having a bigger, even more terrifying beast pop out of nowhere and start fucking shit up.)

I think more spontanaety to encounters and randomness is always welcome in live service games.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    FYI for the cataclysm event with echos. I'll spoiler in case you want to figure it out yourself, but apparently that's reeeeeaaaalllllllllllly hard for some people.
    You take two echos underwater and use them to drop the barrier.

You take the other two that you get from pressure plates to lower the shield behind the barrier and unlock the fifth.

You take the three from behind the barrier to the final spots, then the two keeping the barrier down.

If you keep taking them to the final spots before getting the fifth one you're just fucking it up for everyone.

Hell, I even got lost going to the last fight. Place is a freaking maze.

The cataclysm event is interesting, but ye gods are the puzzles kind of dumb in that "people can fuck you out of ever completing them" It's something anthem has struggled with any of their puzzles they have it be that other people can frequently fuck up someone trying to just finish something and its intensely frustrating.

I had to bump my down from gm 2 to gm 1 because on top of the puzzles being annoying the enemies in gm 2 shredded people to the point of just not moving anywhere.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    So as someone who's never really had issues with Anthem performance wise on PC, been playing it since [redacted], and did everything but the actual Cataclysm today...I can't load into the actual Cataclysm. Tried off and on since about noon after wrapping up the new story missions and doing one loop of freeplay but no dice.

Getting some weird variation of the infinite loading bug I've never seen nor experienced even before the game released. It will slowly to almost instantly fill the loading bar then start loading a second loading bar and freeze at some random point on the first quarter-ish of that second loading bar. It never freezes at a consistent spot.

Haven't started googling for a fix yet but curious if anyone else dealt with this yet since it is nothing like the OG infinite loading bar issue. I got curious if it was just the matchmaker looking for more people it couldn't find and left it alone while knocking out the daily quests for Monster Hunter World's daily events and after knocking those out in like ten minutes it still hadn't moved.

Was having a shitload of fun with the game again until that happened too.

I've had an isolated incident loading into one of the new non-Cataclysm story missions, but not much apart from that.
    I generally nuke Anthem from Task Manager and boot it up again quick-sharp

Saw this yesterday in LSL discord. Might help I dunno.
    Not sure if this is the right channel, but I was encountering the "Infinite Load screen for Cataclysms" and "Random crash to desktop from Freeplay" bugs and I found fixes (that worked for me) and wanted to spread the word if anyone else is getting these:

I tried:
    *Repairing installation
    *Deleting the Bioware folder in Documents, repairing installation (this stopped my random crashes to desktop from Freeplay)
    *Deleting the Patch folder in the Anthem game folder, reinstalling the patch (which triggered an Origin reinstall) - this let me into a Cataclysm but I couldn't see or interact with anything
    *Uninstalling the game, reinstalling the game
    *Clearing my Origin cache (clearing out ProgramData, except LocalContent, and clearing out AppData)

All I had to do to fix that Cata load screen bug was set Texture quality to High, restart the game, then queue and finish a Cataclysm on Normal.
    (The Normal Cata might not be required but I was replicating steps I read on the EA Help forums)

Hope this helps - happy hunting!

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Finally got a new headset and knocked out some semi-organised cataclysm runs. PB of 6.1 mil was pretty good.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Finally got a new headset and knocked out some semi-organised cataclysm runs. PB of 6.1 mil was pretty good.

Jesus and here I felt good for hitting 400k in one group.

So just to confirm for myself. The other challenges in the rift aren't open right now right? Otherwise literally every group I'm in, only do the 3 closest ones and nothing else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    According to this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Community-Cortex-August-13-Cataclysm-Update/m-p/8107808
    the fourth challenge opens in the next update, tomorrow.
    Also, new inversions: 1) close-range kills have a chance to chain lightning to nearby enemies, 2) machine pistols and shotguns do increased damage
    Also also, in the store refresh: Arrival: Kung Fu Bring It (Interceptor)
    laughs in Murderceptor that got a MW melee drop on Monday

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    Preacher wrote: »

Jesus and here I felt good for hitting 400k in one group.

So just to confirm for myself. The other challenges in the rift aren't open right now right? Otherwise literally every group I'm in, only do the 3 closest ones and nothing else.

Think they're opening up at one per week, just three right now. Need to get as many secrets as possible (especially the major ones like shaper spheres, minor relic things and grabbit ears challenge) after running up your multiplier in arenas. Spawning and killing the Valkyries is worth big amounts of points too. Hard to get the really big scores in pub groups because some people refuse to get it and rush the boss. Best I've done in a GM3 pub is a shade under 5mil.

Remember that points are universal across the group, so you should be splitting up to hit more secrets after the arenas. Also difficulty scales your final score quite significantly.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Finally had some time to jump into this again.

Cataclysm is real good and this game is still fun. Good to see it get more content. Now I just gotta get some of those new weapons

ObiFett wrote: »
    Finally had some time to jump into this again.

Cataclysm is real good and this game is still fun. Good to see it get more content. Now I just gotta get some of those new weapons

Weapon crates would be good but I'm more keen for the support crates. Gotta get rid of the one purple in my builds.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited August 2019
    pjuegnazgs47.jpg

edit: one of the other guys recorded it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjUFY3aYH2k

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    (Those of you who don't care about development drama and just want to play the game, feel free to ignore this)

Ben Irving, the lead producer of Anthem and de facto face of the game, has left Bioware.

Which could be just his natural time to move on, of course. People do that. And he went out of his way to say Anthem has a bright future. Or it could be something to worry a bit about. Who knows!

I will say it's a smidge unnerving that the lead producer of Dragon Age left the very next day.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    pjuegnazgs47.jpg

At the end of that video:

"... it's just 8.8."
    xta7veu5sdzt.png

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Logged back in yesterday after being busy for a long time to check out the Cataclysm stuff. Every expedition results screen bugged out, a few went into hard crashes (including after the Cataclysm I ran) and every Cataclysm chest I opened was for a different javelin than the one I was using. The Cataclysm was fun but, overall, that left a bad impression.

edited August 2019
    pjuegnazgs47.jpg

At the end of that video:

"... it's just 8.8."
    xta7veu5sdzt.png

TBF the three other guys got around 9 and a half the next day.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Slipped a bunch, but got my 21 spot back.

l5beyfn2xvs8.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

I still need to get in there and do it at least once, ha. Also get those rabbit ears. :p

edited August 2019
    I've run so much Cataclysm and it's still fun. I like the build choices that the new gear and melee gives. The drop rate feels about right, but could still probably be pumped up.

By far my best drop from it is an 80 Legendary Steam Vent with 225% gear damage and 25% universal damage with two other useful stats I can't remember right now. It instakills enemy storms in GM2 and all but kills them from full shields in GM3

This was a great addition to the game.

ObiFett on
    edited August 2019
    I feel like they've nailed the basic formula that they were originally aiming for in their design document. The nonlinear objective path and optional environment tchotchkes really go a long way in making the questing feel more open ended, there's a lot of potential that the cataclysm is toying with in terms of reality-altering wackiness (and I'm not just referring to the game play modifiers). Give me more teleporters and weird gravity shit yes please.

My main worry is the amount of work required to continue this upwards trajectory with the game, particularly as the narrative by the media surrounding the game continues to be openly negative.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    We get Masterwork support items today! Also Ranger Crystal armor will be in the shop

Is that the armor behind the cataclysm vendor guy?

I haven't seen the armor behind the vendor dude

But its the armor you can get from the Cataclysm vendor dude, yeah. Last week it was the Storm version. This week its the Ranger one.

edited August 2019
    Complete Guide to the Cataclysm here: https://vulkk.com/2019/08/06/anthem-cataclysm-a-complete-guide/

With a really useful map:
    ANTHEM-CATACLYSM-MAP-WITH-ALL-MARKERS-AND-LOCATIONS-August-14.jpg

After getting nothing higher than 4.8mil, I think I'm gonna have to take it upon myself to start doing all the secrets and point getters. I need that 5mil challenge.

Also, anyone on Xbox want to get the challenges where you complete the events without killing anything? I'm thinking doing it on GM1 should be easy enough, but I can't trust PUGs to not kill stuff so I think I'll need a full group to complete those challenges.

ObiFett on
    Man I didn't think about it at all but a pacifist run would be completely doable huh

Lol that's some wacky shit

Man I didn't think about it at all but a pacifist run would be completely doable huh

Lol that's some wacky shit

Except Dianna's Landing which requires you to kill waves, which is why it's the only event to not have a no kills challenge.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited August 2019
    This is what my inventory looked like at the end of a GM2 run last night

nv6ad2tq1bpt.jpg

Cataclysm is amazing

ObiFett on
    I'm on this run where I get bad drops every time I break my high score. Got five MW no Leg on my 10.6mil run. Getting to the point I consider Legendary drops in cataclysms a bad omen.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

My crew's 9.8M run from last week.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL7czHqIV30

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Jumped in to try the event for the first time. Pretty fun, I liked the puzzle stuff going on. I was with a group that seemed to know what they were doing so I just followed and killed things.

Down side is that we bugged out on one of the puzzles which didn't spawn enough orbs to unlock the main crystal. Also lag was really bad. I'm going to try to update my drivers before I try again, otherwise, I'll have to downgrade some settings.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45