As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Fear the mighty bobbit

https://youtu.be/rSvPqkZgw8E

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Humans were not meant to fuck with the ocean. That there is an infiltration agent of the deep ones.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Phoenix-D on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Gweh, I hate everything about that D:D:D:

Stabbity_Style.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I mean, the sent out a hot message so...
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Gone right, GONE RIGHT, quick!!!

Umm... 100 year-old church gets new life as high-end condos?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/8/6/20757368/ukrainian-village-church-condo-conversion-revival

dieo6g0237py.jpg

Since it was declared a Landmark, they had to keep a lot of the architecture and use an expert in church restoration.

That looks like a really cool and interesting place to live!

For 600k to 1mil it can be yours! Wouod be so cool to have that as your front door:
    w6i5a8pi5qio.jpg

I'm an old because my first thought was "the a/c bill for that must be fucking obnoxious".

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm never going near the water, or an aquarium, ever again.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Fear the mighty bobbit

That's some straight up horror show footage.

steam_sig.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Fear the mighty bobbit

The common name comes from a woman who cut off her abusive husband's penis. It's scientific name is Eunice (a female name meaning victory or conquest) aphrodoitis (the Greek goddess of love).

Basically, the scientist who named this thing wants to make sure you have a VERY SPECIFIC nightmare about it.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Fear the mighty bobbit

The common name comes from a woman who cut off her abusive husband's penis. It's scientific name is Eunice (a female name meaning victory or conquest) aphrodoitis (the Greek goddess of love).

Basically, the scientist who named this thing wants to make sure you have a VERY SPECIFIC nightmare about it.

Seems overkill, because if I ever saw the thing, I'd likely have all the nightmares about it, not just that one very specific one.

edited August 2019
    see317 wrote: »
    Fear the mighty bobbit

Seems overkill, because if I ever saw the thing, I'd likely have all the nightmares about it, not just that one very specific one.

Biologists don't do subtle very well. The grizzly bear's common name translates as "bear horrible bear," and the Eurasian brown bear's is, "bear bear bear."

"Victorious love worm," is about as obscure as it gets.

Hevach on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bear bear bear.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Fear the mighty bobbit

8zuc6iqasinh.gif

steam_sig.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I mean it's not airborne because their life cycle is all underwater.
    Fear the mighty bobbit

Biologists don't do subtle very well. The grizzly bear's common name translates as "bear horrible bear," and the Eurasian brown bear's is, "bear bear bear."

To be fair "Bear" is thought to come from a word for "brown" because the original name of bears was thought to summon them and everybody thought they were scary as fuck so just referred to them as "brown one".
    I guess this theory has become doubtful recently but I don't care, I find it amusing that they're brown brown browns.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Fear the mighty bobbit

To be fair "Bear" is thought to come from a word for "brown" because the original name of bears was thought to summon them and everybody thought they were scary as fuck so just referred to them as "brown one".
    I guess this theory has become doubtful recently but I don't care, I find it amusing that they're brown brown browns.

No. It has pretty firm etymological support given how far back in history the split happened. At some point during protogermanic the original work for bear became a taboo word and replaced by Bero, "the brown one". Before that bears were called "rkto", which we can see in ancient greek where bears are called arktos.
    "rkto" is in itself probably a taboo name since it has its roots in a proto-indoeuropean word meaning "the destroyer".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Bears are metal af

edited August 2019
    Do a buncha nerds post in the woods

Captain Inertia on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Don’t be silly there’s no internet in the woods

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fear the mighty bobbit

No. It has pretty firm etymological support given how far back in history the split happened. At some point during protogermanic the original work for bear became a taboo word and replaced by Bero, "the brown one". Before that bears were called "rkto", which we can see in ancient greek where bears are called arktos.
    "rkto" is in itself probably a taboo name since it has its roots in a proto-indoeuropean word meaning "the destroyer".

When I googled to confirm my memory on this wikitionary mentioned this:
    However, Ringe (2006:106) doubts the existence of a root *bʰer- meaning "brown" ("an actual PIE word of [the requisite] shape and meaning is not recoverable") and suggests that a derivation from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰwer- (“wild animal”) "should therefore perhaps be preferred", implying a Germanic merger of *ǵʰw and *gʷʰ (*gʷʰ may sometimes result in Germanic *b, perhaps e.g. in *bidjaną, but it also seems to have given the g in gun and the w in warm).

Which is frankly over my head and I don't super care. It's still plausible to say they're brown brown browns and I'm gonna stick with that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Bear bear bear.

Bears repeating.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Another fun taxonomic example I've been a fan of for since learning it in Gabriel Knight 2 is the Eurasian Grey Wolf which is canis lupus lupus.

Whose a good dog wolf wolf, huh?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Bears are metal af
    Definitely:
    n27y0ly3cnxb.jpg

Bad news: bear
    Good news: The Gunslinger followed.

MichaelLC on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Another fun taxonomic example I've been a fan of for since learning it in Gabriel Knight 2 is the Eurasian Grey Wolf which is canis lupus lupus.

Whose a good dog wolf wolf, huh?!

The Western lowland gorilla is gorilla gorilla gorilla

Also, the boa constrictor is the only animal whose common name is identical to its taxonomic name

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There's also hippopotamus. And... gorilla.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited August 2019
    Although saying "its common name" like there's only one is meaningless anyway. Its common name where and with whom. That's the whole reason for specific names.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

This is called a "noa word"! Basically "safe" names to use.

In older Swedish we have Hin Håle, a noa word for Satan, that means "the hard one". "Hin" itself means "the other" or "that one", and we have the word "hinsides", meaning "the other side", as in "that's on the other side of...", which originally meant "yep, in the spirit realm".

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    There's also hippopotamus. And... gorilla.

It's not called the "gorilla gorilla" usually, I mean

Although your second point is a good one :P

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited August 2019
    Fear the mighty bobbit

However, Ringe (2006:106) doubts the existence of a root *bʰer- meaning "brown" ("an actual PIE word of [the requisite] shape and meaning is not recoverable") and suggests that a derivation from Proto-Indo-European *ǵʰwer- (“wild animal”) "should therefore perhaps be preferred", implying a Germanic merger of *ǵʰw and *gʷʰ (*gʷʰ may sometimes result in Germanic *b, perhaps e.g. in *bidjaną, but it also seems to have given the g in gun and the w in warm).

Which is frankly over my head and I don't super care. It's still plausible to say they're brown brown browns and I'm gonna stick with that.

The subspecies name is Ursus arctos arctos. Arctos is related to the pre-brown word for bear, and ursus is probably unrelated to either, being "bear" from a whole other language group.

Hevach on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    “It’s a gorilla. But not any gorilla. It’s like, a gorilla gorilla.”

“A gorilla gorilla gorilla?”

“Exactly.”

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Fear the mighty bobbit

The subspecies name is Ursus arctos arctos. Arctos is related to the pre-brown word for bear, and ursus is probably unrelated to either.

Ursus comes from rktos/arktos. The roman pronounciation is much closer to the proto-italic "orssos", which is in itself rktos where the "kt" has softened into a s-like sound.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    edited August 2019
    Fear the mighty bobbit

The subspecies name is Ursus arctos arctos. Arctos is related to the pre-brown word for bear, and ursus is probably unrelated to either.

Ursus comes from rktos/arktos. The roman pronounciation is much closer to the proto-italic "orssos", which is in itself rktos where the "kt" has softened into a s-like sound.

Today I learned this.

Also, today I learned that "arctos" was before "arctic." They literally named it, "the place with bears."

Bear related etymology is much farther reaching than I ever would have thought. It's like getting so lost in Wikipedia that you got from spark plugs to toothcarp except its all bears.

Hevach on
    This is making me miss Bear Friday on Deadspin

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turns out owls are also against surveillance:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    They may have want to spring for a tripod and camera with zoom so they don’t have to stick it into the owls nest

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Today in NOPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

That Chevy Malibu belongs to the wasps now, friend.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Humans were not meant to fuck with the ocean. That there is an infiltration agent of the deep ones.

We signed the Benthic Treaty for a reason.

steam_sig.png
    Posted without comment (because what needs to be said?):

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today in NOPE:

No, it belongs to the fire.

Today in NOPE:

What the motherfucking FUCK is this

Today in NOPE:

What the motherfucking FUCK is this

It's the apocalypse. We had a good run, but it's time to pack in the civilization thing.

This discussion has been closed.