As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    nothing but bragging rights

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I got back into the game. I originally quit because life was a whirlwind at the time but decided to come back.

I appear to be sitting right at the first dungeon.

Great . .

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @Entaru I just jumped on the last couple of weeks and didn’t take me to long to get through A Realm Reborn. Especially with the help from fellow ghosties.

Despite the filler parts it’s worth going through to HW as it only gets better.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh, I'll push through. I really like the game and would have done so back in December but that didn't work out.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Did my first run on the palace of the dead, got to floor 30 (or was it 40?) and gained two levels of monk.
    Will do more later, pretty chill experience but i suspect it might get less so as i go higher (lower?).
    Started also finally doing the heavensward alchemist class quests (finished the gathering ones yesterday).
    I forgot how annoying i always found them.
    The story might be fine, but i hate how crafter quests require you to do every part of the game.
    Combat classes just need to fight, gatherers just need to gather.
    Crafters, need to fight, and gather, and then craft (or use the market board).
    Just, give me the mats and i'll craft you anything you need.

And now i need to get Master III recipes (maybe i could buy them, maybe not).
    I think i can buy them in Idylshire for scrip?
    Which means collecting wagonloads of stuff from timed nodes, and i can't reliably get good enough stuff to turn in from level 60 nodes even when i am wearing 65 gear with materia.
    Well, atleast i won't run out of things to do.

On a more positive note, i also, finally, unlocked Zhloe's turn ins in Idylshire.
    At first she's adorable and then punches you straight in the feels.
    And now i need to wait until next week to bring her more stuff.
    Boo, boo i say.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I only just realized kid Miq’ote have stubby kitten shaped tails, instead of the long ones of the adults.

So Cute!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Did my first run on the palace of the dead, got to floor 30 (or was it 40?) and gained two levels of monk.
    Will do more later, pretty chill experience but i suspect it might get less so as i go higher (lower?).
    Started also finally doing the heavensward alchemist class quests (finished the gathering ones yesterday).
    The story might be fine, but i hate how crafter quests require you to do every part of the game.

Which means collecting wagonloads of stuff from timed nodes, and i can't reliably get good enough stuff to turn in from level 60 nodes even when i am wearing 65 gear with materia.

On a more positive note, i also, finally, unlocked Zhloe's turn ins in Idylshire.
    Boo, boo i say.

The scrip from doing Zhloe's hand ins is really good, and should be plenty to get the older master books.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Boo, boo i say.

The scrip from doing Zhloe's hand ins is really good, and should be plenty to get the older master books.
    Also slow.
    I used this weeks scrip on books already.
    I like the crafting in this game, for the most part.
    But i can't help but feel it has too many gates and hoops involved.
    From timed gathering nodes, to poorly statted crafting gear (unless you craft/buy crafted gear) for levelling outside the scrip gear, to making people doing the crafting guild quests stop and go farm mats.
    It's like everytime i am getting moving, someone or something comes and trips me up.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I only just realized kid Miq’ote have stubby kitten shaped tails, instead of the long ones of the adults.

So Cute!

I noticed that too, and then I realized that I don't think I've ever consciously noticed a Miq'ote child before. That girl in the Moonlight Faire event might be the first Miq'ote child I've seen.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...why are the paladin quests so bad? I just did StB WHM quests and that was pretty good! Only 8 levels to go till 80 and I'm....actually enjoying this role a lot more than I thought I would. Gameplay wise how do AST and SCH compare? I feel like I have everything with WHM...Regen, a Shield, Instacast Heals, Big AoE Heals.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

So Cute!

I noticed that too, and then I realized that I don't think I've ever consciously noticed a Miq'ote child before. That girl in the Moonlight Faire event might be the first Miq'ote child I've seen.

Wait...youve never dealt with Khloe, the Blood Mi'qitten?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    @Nyysjan the bad news is that the design of heavensward crafting was based on feedback from the most hardcore ARR crafters, so it's pretty rough to get through

the good news is that the devs eventually realized how much of a mistake that was and things get significantly easier once you get to stormblood

• Options

So Cute!

the only other recurring one is khloe in idyllshire, and she's almost always standing behind a counter, so it's not unusual for someone not to notice how small her tail is

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Boo, boo i say.

Also slow.
    I used this weeks scrip on books already.
    I like the crafting in this game, for the most part.
    But i can't help but feel it has too many gates and hoops involved.
    From timed gathering nodes, to poorly statted crafting gear (unless you craft/buy crafted gear) for levelling outside the scrip gear, to making people doing the crafting guild quests stop and go farm mats.
    It's like everytime i am getting moving, someone or something comes and trips me up.

If you are trying to do the higher level HW crafting quests at level I would just bite the bullet and buy the stuff you need from the market board because those things are rather terrible. It gets better in SB since those quests will also give you the materials you are supposed to use, much like the beast tribe quests. I actually skipped all crafting quests I couldn't get cheap on the mb while leveling from 45-70 since between beast tribes, gc turn-ins, leves, deliveries and collectables they simply weren't worth the time invested before I could use the level 70 script gear to crush the quests.

Deliveries are a bit gated by the MSQ since you need to finish SB before you get additional delivery npcs and without them you are only able to do 6 of the 12 turn-ins each week. Always make sure to check what the Rowena turn-ins of the day are because every once in a while some really good ones show up that you can grind for scrips/xp.

• Options
    If i had money, i probably would buy my way through all crafting quests, but everythings expensive and i have like 2 million gil on me, which i fear i will be needing sooner or later for more important stuff (i really should figure out what sells these days).
    It's not like i'm in a hurry, just started doing the alchemist questline on a whim as i did not want to do dungeons before i had to leave home.

That said, Moonfire fair has pretty pointed example of my issue with crafting.
    I can cook a meal, meaning that i first need to figure out where i can get the ingredients, then travel around the world to pick those ingredients, then cook the meal, deliver it, and get grand total of one coupon.
    Or i can do fast and easy obstacle course for 4.
    Sure i could mass produce meals, unless they switch them all the time.
    But the non crafting path is just so much easier, faster, and more rewarding.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    If i had money, i probably would buy my way through all crafting quests, but everythings expensive and i have like 2 million gil on me, which i fear i will be needing sooner or later for more important stuff (i really should figure out what sells these days).
    It's not like i'm in a hurry, just started doing the alchemist questline on a whim as i did not want to do dungeons before i had to leave home.

I can cook a meal, meaning that i first need to figure out where i can get the ingredients, then travel around the world to pick those ingredients, then cook the meal, deliver it, and get grand total of one coupon.

Moonfire Fair isn't a great example because the food item doesn't change, in fact it's the same item as last year. I gathered the items needed to craft 10 of the battered fish and that was easier than running the obstacle course 3 times would've been. It took more total time, probably, but I was already out in the world gathering materials for other items I needed to craft.

Crafting is going to be more time-intensive than fighting or gathering though, otherwise it's not really crafting anymore, as FF14 does it. I do agree the game needs to be better about showing where items are gathered from, I use ffxivcrafting.com to plan out needed items, I still would love to have an in-game shopping list functionality.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Protip: avoid selling on the weekends if you can.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

So Cute!

Wait...youve never dealt with Khloe, the Blood Mi'qitten?

I've been to Idlyshire but I don't remember Khloe. Pretty much the only thing I do in that town is the tomestone exchange.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Khloe is an evil little monster

but i beat her game this week i got my two lines omega waifu minion.

• Options

Moonfire Fair isn't a great example because the food item doesn't change, in fact it's the same item as last year. I gathered the items needed to craft 10 of the battered fish and that was easier than running the obstacle course 3 times would've been. It took more total time, probably, but I was already out in the world gathering materials for other items I needed to craft.

Crafting is going to be more time-intensive than fighting or gathering though, otherwise it's not really crafting anymore, as FF14 does it. I do agree the game needs to be better about showing where items are gathered from, I use ffxivcrafting.com to plan out needed items, I still would love to have an in-game shopping list functionality.

I'm not talking about time itself, though i don't think being time intensive should be considered inherent part of crafting.
    But, about time spent and reward gained.
    Unless you are already preparing like you mentioned you had, the time and effort spent, compared to reward gained, is not really comparable, and even if you have, it's still probably a bit of a coin toss because the obstacle course is easy and fast (the optional part is stupid hard though, mainly because platforming controls in this game are terrible).

• Options
    It doesnt take very long to harvest a pile of popotoes, everything else is generic material vendors that are everywhere (or the moonfire NPC for haddock).

I think for small amounts of tickets its a wash, but crafting wins hard for larger amounts because the prep work doesn't increase much.

• Options
    The Sahagin vendor will even sell you the salt and olive oil for the battered fish at zero rep for single digit gil which lets you skip the intermediate crafting.

Crafting is all about research and planning. For example, I needed some timed node stuff to level my alchemist from 52-60 on the cheap so I added the nodes to my garland bell timers and just logged in to grab what I needed when the node popped while doing other stuff, near zero effort required.

• Options
    We have a very different definition of "near zero effort".

• Options
    There are some really good online resources for this stuff. Just pick what you want to make and get a list where to source materials easily.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Crafting is a whole endeavor in this game. Just think about how much time people spend on the combat stuff and know that crafting expects a similar time investment as part of leveling and using it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I'm not sure i am communicating properly.
    I enjoy crafting.
    I can find the materials i need for crafting, i know how to google.
    I merely find that crafting has far too many gates and loops to jump through.

Like the guild quests reequiring me to not only craft things, which makes sense, but to procure the materials.
    Or many materials being time locked.
    These would not be as much of an issue if the game had a robust economy, but it does not.
    I don't think any mmo i have played has had that.
    I can't buy the mats half the time, and other half they are so over priced that it is cheaper to just buy the product (if it is sold at all).

To craft, i must be an economy all on my own.
    I can't be just an alchemist, i must also be a carpenter, a leatherworker, weaver, a goldsmith, a miner, fisherman, a botanist, and a combat class of your choice.
    This is mostly not an issue, i accept that in mmo's crafting is not going to be all that useful except at the very top outside very few exceptions.
    But i wish that guild quests would not require me to go mine, fish, harvest and slaughter a dozen herds of sheep.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I hate fishing for sheep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I hate fishing for sheep.

Me too. I can never keep them on the hook. They keep shearing it off.

And then there’s all the other fishers that keep spinning some ridiculous yarn about the one that got away. “Ewe shoulda seen it!” they’ll say.

Edit: jokes aside, but I love that crafting asks that much of the player. I have all crafters at 70+ (Gatherers at 80) and I’ve spent all the evenings this week gathering the stuff I need to craft items for the guild quests and been very much enjoying the time.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Nyysjan honest question, have you looked into sending retainers on ventures yet? they can hunt and gather stuff for you

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I haven't geared Carpenter since Heavensward and I leveled up to 70 with the Namazu Beast Tribe quests during Stormblood. Where can I get decent level 70 gear to start leveling Carpenter again in Shadowbringers? I believe my whole left side is the Ornate Ironworks gear.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    the 350 gear you can get with scrips will last you all the way to 80

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I haven't geared Carpenter since Heavensward and I leveled up to 70 with the Namazu Beast Tribe quests during Stormblood. Where can I get decent level 70 gear to start leveling Carpenter again in Shadowbringers? I believe my whole left side is the Ornate Ironworks gear.

Cheapest and easiest is probably the yellow scrip gear from the any of the scrip vendors. Make sure you pick up the higher tier level 70 stuff though.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm Titania

• Options
    I'm Y'shtola

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Is ST what the JP community refers to off tanks as?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'm "Sir not appearing in this film."

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I enjoy crafting.

Like the guild quests reequiring me to not only craft things, which makes sense, but to procure the materials.
    These would not be as much of an issue if the game had a robust economy, but it does not.
    I can't buy the mats half the time, and other half they are so over priced that it is cheaper to just buy the product (if it is sold at all).

I can't be just an alchemist, i must also be a carpenter, a leatherworker, weaver, a goldsmith, a miner, fisherman, a botanist, and a combat class of your choice.
    This is mostly not an issue, i accept that in mmo's crafting is not going to be all that useful except at the very top outside very few exceptions.
    But i wish that guild quests would not require me to go mine, fish, harvest and slaughter a dozen herds of sheep.

Well that is the downside of having interdependence in crafting, while it helps build a crafting/gathering ecosystem that same system only exists for current content because that is where the players are. The current meta is omni-craft or don't bother for a reason. Honestly though, just skip the damn quests and turn them into more of a long-term project that you finish when practical since the leveling itself isn't gated by them and the abilities they give you aren't needed for anything.

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Is ST what the JP community refers to off tanks as?

I bet so, I was wondering about that. Maybe "Second Tank"?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    @Nyysjan honest question, have you looked into sending retainers on ventures yet? they can hunt and gather stuff for you
    I've been playing this on and off since ARR, and actually played a few months of the 1.0 version.
    I do send out retainers on ventures, rarely for anything specific because i donät really craft that often, i have a level 64 miner and 70 summoner (should probably change that to botanist or fisher).
    And then i either sell the stuff they bring, or turn in for company seals.

I did try to stock up on different crafting materials at one point, but there simply is not enough space for that with all classes being at different levels.
    Will probably look into it again when i have them all at 60+.

Numi wrote: »
    I enjoy crafting.

Well that is the downside of having interdependence in crafting, while it helps build a crafting/gathering ecosystem that same system only exists for current content because that is where the players are. The current meta is omni-craft or don't bother for a reason. Honestly though, just skip the damn quests and turn them into more of a long-term project that you finish when practical since the leveling itself isn't gated by them and the abilities they give you aren't needed for anything.

As i think i said earlier, i was mainly doing the quests this morning because i did not want to commit to anything time consuming before i left.
    Also i find it annoying that my alchemist was almost 70 (and now is 70), and had not even started the heavensward quests.
    Will need to try to get some crafting scrip for gear at some point and then the master recipy books.
    After that, back to the quests.

This discussion has been closed.