As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    For what it's worth Age of Sigmar has a lot of ways to get a similar combo of 6s resulting in extra hits and additional effects, and the FAQ there reads:

Q: Sometimes a dice roll will trigger an effect. For example, a weapon might have a rule that says a hit roll of 6 causes two hits on the target instead of 1. What happens if another effect applies to the same roll? For example, the weapon from the previous example might have a rule that says it inflicts D6 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6 and the attack sequence ends – would I get to inflict two hits that each inflicted D6 mortal wounds?
    A: When a dice roll triggers more than one effect, each effect is triggered once. For this example, this means that the hit roll would cause two hits, but only one of the hits would inflict D6 mortal wounds (you would carry out the rest of the attack procedure for the other hit normally).

So I would imagine it would go the same way in 40k.

Perfect. That makes total sense.

Edit to add quote for ToP clarity.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ultramarines preview is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/08/space-marines-preview-scions-of-guillimangw-homepage-post-1/

Nothing earth shattering, but definitely leaning in to the basic play style of Ultramarines. Brother Prigurius will likely replace my Primaris Librarian as I dig character models.

If I'm reading Scions of Guilliman correctly, and interpreting the way it interacts with things, that would allow a Repulsor Executioner to move it's full move and still double tap the main gun?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Well that is a damn lot of new toys for the smurfs.

*sigh*

Now I am a little salty of this verse my CSM update.

Now I really want them to do a refresh on the legion tactics. Especially like World Eaters since everyone gets it now and Word Bearers which is literally just ATSKNF. Iron Warriors are now worse Imp Fist. Alpha Legion will need a rework but still -1 is still solid. Emps Children need help but that is more than just the tactic. Flawless Host do what Emps Children do better. And that isn't getting into stuff like the poor Night Lords.

Black Legion are still meh but they got so many new toys from the campaign book they are in a good spot. So are most of the renegade chapters.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

*sigh*

Now I really want them to do a refresh on the legion tactics. Especially like World Eaters since everyone gets it now and Word Bearers which is literally just ATSKNF. Iron Warriors are now worse Imp Fist. Alpha Legion will need a rework but still -1 is still solid. Emps Children need help but that is more than just the tactic. Flawless Host do what Emps Children do better. And that isn't getting into stuff like the poor Night Lords.

Black Legion are still meh but they got so many new toys from the campaign book they are in a good spot. So are most of the renegade chapters.

Based on what GW have said I'm pretty sure Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Space Wolves are right there with you. They also do not appear to get combat docterines or refreshed chapter tactics.

Also I have a feeling most -1 to hit traits are gonna get the Raven Guard treatment.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    TheGerbil wrote: »

*sigh*

Based on what GW have said I'm pretty sure Blood Angels/Dark Angels/Space Wolves are right there with you. They also do not appear to get combat docterines or refreshed chapter tactics.

Also I have a feel most -1 to hit traits are gonna get the Raven Guard treatment.

I agree they are.

What I think will happen with the release per what they have said:

1) All "astartes" will be getting the Angels of Death or equivalent rules. These are ATSKNF/DttFE, Shock Troops, and bolter drill in a single rule set.
    2) All of the chapter/legion rules will be given to vehicles as well as infantry and dreads like the C:SM. (That's right word bearers your tanks can reroll morale, yay.)
    3) Loyalist chapters will get a set of the new vehicles and infantry based on the chapter/deathwatch. (So like DW get the Impulsor maybe but not the new phobos armor).

So in the end everyone is getting some buffs. But loyalist are basically getting a new codex while CSM got a few new rules/chapters with the renegades and units but did not get a new balance pass on their chapter traits so their equivalent traits with Codex marines are not just one to one worse than loyalist. Same goes for BA/SW/DA/DW. Though I would argue Blood Angels actually make out like bandits with the free new rules and Space Wolves do pretty well. Also Deathguard melee troops got a lot more attacks with their flails.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Shock assault does benefit SW BA and DG pretty heavily I'd say. But it seems to be the only benefit they're getting.

But it is better than nothing!

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Well, they get all those new Primaris units, too. In a free PDF download, no less!

My poor Grey Knights are the ones who only got shock assault, lol :P But I'm pretty hopeful for the inevitable GK codex reprint after seeing this SM one.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Well, they get all those new Primaris units, too. In a free PDF download, no less!

My poor Grey Knights are the ones who only got shock assault, lol :P But I'm pretty hopeful for the inevitable GK codex reprint after seeing this SM one.

On the one hand I agree new units are always nice. On the other hand melee units when?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ultramarines preview is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/08/08/space-marines-preview-scions-of-guillimangw-homepage-post-1/

Nothing earth shattering, but definitely leaning in to the basic play style of Ultramarines. Brother Prigurius will likely replace my Primaris Librarian as I dig character models.

If I'm reading Scions of Guilliman correctly, and interpreting the way it interacts with things, that would allow a Repulsor Executioner to move it's full move and still double tap the main gun?

I guess my main concern is that homebrew chapters, even benefiting from “choose your own traits” will get left in the dust compared to the Ultramarines and others who essentially benefit from two codexes. Obviously we gotta wait until release to see the details, but if I feel that I’m being handicapped by not playing one of the armies with a proper supplement, I’m going to feel disappointed.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I guess my main concern is that homebrew chapters, even benefiting from “choose your own traits” will get left in the dust compared to the Ultramarines and others who essentially benefit from two codexes. Obviously we gotta wait until release to see the details, but if I feel that I’m being handicapped by not playing one of the armies with a proper supplement, I’m going to feel disappointed.

I dunno, I can see this being a bit disappointing but creating your own Chapter is always going to be the fluffy option. It doesn't seem like the end of the world if they're by default not quite as competitive as one of the OG Chapters. It'll certainly make balancing easier.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I would say yes it does. Importantly it would mean that it also applies to aggressors.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Mmmmm.... Ultramarine Aggressors hopping out of an Impulsor Turn 2 and throwing down 36+6d6 4/-1/1 shots...

That’s pretty attractive. I mean, if you like blue.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Well let's see what the point cost on an Impulsor is, but yes I'm really hoping this makes flamer Aggressors useful, love that Firebat style

• Options
    I expect the impulsor to be just north of the Razorback depending on load out. You’ll pay a tax for the repulsor field and such.

Intercessors are becoming a really great shoot and scoot unit as well with Ultramarines. My army is straight upgrades across the board. It all just gets better next week. I run 3x 5 intercessors and a 3 man aggressor squad in my Roboute castle. I’ll be adding at least another squad of Aggressors and probably two impulsors. One for a squad of aggressors and one for 5 hell blasters + a captain.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    As someone who just sold off all his imperial models to start playing chaos/daemons, I'm really feeling like I grabbed the short end of the stick comparing the new chaos stuff to some of these doctrines and upgrades.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So no points values, but just a rough draft of the list I'm going to try out post codex:

Assassin to Taste
    Brother Prigurius
    Roboute Guilliman + 2x Victrix Guard
    - 3x Boltstorm Aggressor
    - 5x Intercessor w/ Power Sword Sergeant

Repulsor Executioner

Impulsor
    - Primaris Captain w/ Power Sword
    - 5x Hellblaster

Impulsor
    - 3x Boltstorm Aggressor

3x Eliminators w/ Las Fusils
    3x Eliminators w/ Las Fusils

Redemptor Dreadnought w/ anti-horde loadout

That's probably a touch short of 2K points, but that's the basic army idea. My poor Knight Castellan will be on the shelf for a while (I plan to build a full Knight army around him at some point).

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    This speaks to the bad aesthetics of the new ironstorm weapons, but I'm pretty sure the turret on the Impulsor are actually autocannons and not stubbers, in the same way that the Invictus walker's arm weapons are autocannons. They really needed to keep the big cylindric muzzle break on autocannon weapons to visually communicate what class they are. Even the ones on the Halverins and Supressors don't have them.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    This speaks to the bad aesthetics of the new ironstorm weapons, but I'm pretty sure the turret on the Impulsor are actually autocannons and not stubbers, in the same way that the Invictus walker's arm weapons are autocannons. They really needed to keep the big cylindric muzzle break on autocannon weapons to visually communicate what class they are. Even the ones on the Halverins and Supressors don't have them.

Did they reveal the weapon profile of the ironstorm weapon arm yet? I keep feeling like they did but I could be wrong...

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    SMPreview-Aug7-WarsuitWeapons-38vj3.jpg

At this point, I have no idea what "ironhail" class weapons are. Ironhail stubbers would indicate they are better AP, but I guess not. The more penatrative autocannons are the "accelerator" autocannons that the Supressors get (not to be confused with the Sicaran accelerator autocannons...). THIS ironhail autocannon is just... one more shot than a regular autocannon I guess?
    The whole idea behind giving weapons extra modifier names like this is so you can easily tell what they do. "oh... it's an ironhail autocannon. I guess it's Heavy 2, Str 7, -2ap, D2, right?"

If they're just going to not conform to any sort of modifier, then why not just give it a unique name? It's an Invicus Autocannon. There. Done.

Anyway... the Impulsor will probably have the same thing, but with the +1/-1 anti-air rules. Dispite the fact that the autocannon barrels are nearly indistinguishable from the stubber barrels.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I can't keep the primaris weapons straight anymore. They have so many variants of each bolters, plasma, and now it's starting with the solid slug weapons, too.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Primaris in general are tough with that.

Intercessors, Inceptors, Infiltrators, Aggressors, Eliminators, Suppressors, being supported by a Redemptor or riding in a Repulsor that is cruising by a unit of Reivers that are running past an Executioner.

And soon we'll have Incursors riding in an Impulsor cruising by an Invictor on top of all of that.

• Options
    Primaris units MUST end in -or and generally start with In.

Next new unit: the incestor!

(Note: I do not promote incest. It bad.)

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Looks like September's White Dwarf will have a Primaris Dark Angels index. This months White Dwarf says next month will be a Dark Angels issue. So perhaps DA/BA/SW will get their updates within the context of the new codex as White Dwarf index's?

e: Ha, beat by Burnage with the hot scoops.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So Blood Ravens and then Dark Angels get rules in White Dwarf.

I think it's nice that they're alternating between loyalist and heretic chapters like this.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Plastic Thunderhawk confirmed.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Plastic Thunderhawk confirmed.

Well it's a snowball chance in hell what comes first plastic aspect warriors or plastic thunderhawk

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Listening to Signals from the Front Line today and Reece made very clear that what we've seen so far is just the tip of the ice berg, and he basically confirmed Iron Hands and Imperial Fists will be getting supplements soon and that he thinks they will end up being extremely strong in the meta. He thinks Ultramarines are strong as well, but will require a bit more finesses to pull off. He thinks Iron Hands will be very straightforward and strong.

Given that he's seen all the rules in play testing, I take his opinions at face value. Always consider they are just his opinions on rules that aren't released, but they are based on something not just random guesses. Grain of salt, buyer beware and all that.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Listening to Signals from the Front Line today and Reece made very clear that what we've seen so far is just the tip of the ice berg, and he basically confirmed Iron Hands and Imperial Fists will be getting supplements soon and that he thinks they will end up being extremely strong in the meta. He thinks Ultramarines are strong as well, but will require a bit more finesses to pull off. He thinks Iron Hands will be very straightforward and strong.

Given that he's seen all the rules in play testing, I take his opinions at face value. Always consider they are just his opinions on rules that aren't released, but they are based on something not just random guesses. Grain of salt, buyer beware and all that.

Geoff Robinson (may he rest in peace) was saying this was going to be the year of the Space Marine. And it seems he was right.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    So Blood Ravens and then Dark Angels get rules in White Dwarf.

I think it's nice that they're alternating between loyalist and heretic chapters like this.

Target sighted.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    This whole thing has really rekindled my desire to get back to painting. I've been continuing to run my Knight Castellan based list for a while because I just wasn't motivated to point some stuff (and frankly because the Castellan is still really good). I am super motivated now to finish all this blue.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the things that I have heard is the Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, Black Templars and others will all be in the Sons of Dorn book

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Hearing all this SM news has got me interested in my Fists again. I'm painting again for the first tum in a month or two

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    So supposedly a leaked page has a Bobby G nerf where he only rerolls wound rolls of 1 not all now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So supposedly a leaked page has a Bobby G nerf where he only rerolls wound rolls of 1 not all now.

Oh thank God.

• Options

Oh thank God.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerCompetitive/comments/co9yur/new_guilliman_datasheet/

Here is the new data sheet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Eh, I don't like it, but I'm not going to freak out. He's still a monster in close combat, very hard to kill. I think re-roll all wounds would have been absurd with all the ways to generate shots, AP and attacks Space Marines get now.

He's also down to 330 points apparently. So definitely still very good.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Also worth noting that his to hit reroll aura has been changed to all hit rolls of your choice, not just failed ones. That's quite a bit better against stuff with negative to hit modifiers and suggests that it's going to wind up being a global change.

Which is fine and probably needed but it does sort of feel like Eldar have been getting hit with the nerfhammer again and again this year.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I wonder how Incursors and the new stealth dread are gonna do. I'm kind of interested in Incursors but with that new comms gear Infiltrators get I feel like I'll always take them, just not sure if I want to do a squad of 5 or 10.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Anyone know when GW puts up pre-orders? I'm considering trying to snag the special edition of the SM codex.