As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine something with negative mass and utterly failing

Instead of gravity, it would have antigravity (repulsive instead of attractive) IIRC

White-hole vs Black-hole sort of mechanic

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Instead of gravity, it would have antigravity (repulsive instead of attractive) IIRC

Yeah, but I mean more visually, though the white/black hole concept helps somewhat.

Because if you can see something then it has mass, right? Light is bouncing off it, so it has a physical presence, which means it has at least some mass. So if something has negative mass, what does that look like? Can we see it or perceive it?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don't care if we never get FTL so long as I can go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

it is one of my fondest desires that maybe someday I'll get to liquidate all my assets and buy a little freighter and do the trip from Earth to one of the Lagrange Stations and then to Luna-2 (my favorite lunar city), and haul Helium 3 back to Earth.

maybe when I get tired of that, I can stock up on dehydrated food and carbon scrubbers and go to Jupiter and slide into atmosphere and look at my wake in the gas and then fly down as far as I can go before the pressure crushes Icarus (that's what I named my freighter).

Depressperado on
  • Options

Yeah, but I mean more visually, though the white/black hole concept helps somewhat.

Because if you can see something then it has mass, right? Light is bouncing off it, so it has a physical presence, which means it has at least some mass. So if something has negative mass, what does that look like? Can we see it or perceive it?

I don't think mass is an indication of sight, air is a thing but we can't "see it" but liquids and gases interact with light still. Antimater will still have a mass too because you're just changing the charge of particles, antiprotons and positrons wouldn't be this negative matter thing.

Might be easier to conceptualize how you feel around positive and negative pressure to kind of feel how negative mass and positive mass would be in terms of each other?

I'm definitely not a physics anything so I'm sure someone better can answer these questions.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    visibility is just a matter of "does this interact with photons in any way"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Photons specifically bounce off the electric charge of atoms, not the mass.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    also gravity affects photons a little tiny bit as seen around black holes so negative gravity would also

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Give me a quality pepperoni stromboli and I will demonstrate

• Options
    I wonder what the ramifications for violating causality actually will be if we ever find out it's not set in stone.

Time travel maybe?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I wonder what the ramifications for violating causality actually will be if we ever find out it's not set in stone.

Time travel maybe?
    q7b5gwppb4ac.gif

Xaquin on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This graphic on Wikipedia illustrates how an object with negative mass would react around other objects with negative mass or regular mass

Basically two objects with negative mass would repel each other, but if you pair an object with "regular" mass and one with negative mass, the regular-mass object would be repelled and the negative-mass object would be attracted

The problem with all of this is that mass is not an intrinsic quality of particles, this is for example why antimatter doesn't have negative mass - mass is an emergent property and negative mass would be like pulling something towards you by pushing against it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    man

I can't even comprehend that

• Options
    I can kind of comprehend it, but wouldn't that essentially make for perpetual motion as they attract and repel each other while never touching?

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    man

I can't even comprehend that

It has to do with basically getting a double negative. The force of gravity is reversed, but so is the acceleration (because F=ma).

• Options
    I can kind of comprehend it, but wouldn't that essentially make for perpetual motion as they attract and repel each other while never touching?

Yes it would

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    This graphic on Wikipedia illustrates how an object with negative mass would react around other objects with negative mass or regular mass

Basically two objects with negative mass would repel each other, but if you pair an object with "regular" mass and one with negative mass, the regular-mass object would be repelled and the negative-mass object would be attracted

The problem with all of this is that mass is not an intrinsic quality of particles, this is for example why antimatter doesn't have negative mass - mass is an emergent property and negative mass would be like pulling something towards you by pushing against it

Yes, but in a purely mathematical sense antimatter does have negative mass, because when you add it to matter, you get less matter.

• Options
    No this is not how it works because there is no change in the total mass-energy

• Options
    Basically it's

E=mc^2

and m in this case would be the masses of the matter and antimatter particles, they're added to each other, not subtracted

• Options
    I was under the impression that adding antimatter to matter is like adding dynamite to a block of ice

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nothing even matter

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Nothing even matter

Only in the end

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that adding antimatter to matter is like adding dynamite to a block of ice

QaGUVvx.jpg

as long as the anti-matter is kept in a tube of some sort (plastic will do, but glass is probably better for safety) anti matter is perfectly safe to play with, even for very young children

• Options
    Antimatter and matter particles that touch each other turn into pure energy, which translates into an explosion. They both have normal, positive mass. Energy and mass are equivalent, you can convert mass into energy and energy into mass under the right conditions (such as an anitmatter-matter reaction). So the total amount of energy and mass combined remains constant in the universe.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Negative mass is basically just another one of those byproducts of the math not actually ruling it out. However, as mentioned, it would result in odd behaviors, the biggest being the runaway effect. Negative mass would repel both positive and negative masses, and when you combine that with positive mass attracting both positive and negative mass, putting a positive mass near a negative mass would allow both to accelerate away up to the speed of light with no energy input and zero momentum. Basically, you've just created a perpetual motion machine. And if the two equal but opposite mass particles interacted, they would annihilate each other, but release no energy, yet would leave a surplus of momentum, which isn't allowed by our current understanding. The implications of the runaway effect mean it's unlikely negative mass exists.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Negative mass is basically just another one of those byproducts of the math not actually ruling it out. However, as mentioned, it would result in odd behaviors, the biggest being the runaway effect. Negative mass would repel both positive and negative masses, and when you combine that with positive mass attracting both positive and negative mass, putting a positive mass near a negative mass would allow both to accelerate away up to the speed of light with no energy input and zero momentum. Basically, you've just created a perpetual motion machine. And if the two equal but opposite mass particles interacted, they would annihilate each other, but release no energy, yet would leave a surplus of momentum, which isn't allowed by our current understanding. The implications of the runaway effect mean it's unlikely negative mass exists.

At least if inertial mass and gravitational mass have to have the same sign, but...

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

At least if inertial mass and gravitational mass have to have the same sign, but...

This idea kinda breaks my brain, but if we roll with it, it wouldn't really change anything because we'd still end up with negative energy

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Momentum is mv though.
    So speeding negative mass up with positive mass should have no net momentum change.

discrider on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Have we ever been able to make antimatter, or is it still theoretical?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

We have trapped it and studied it but not made any

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

She's real, she just doesn't come to the forums any more

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We have made like, 35 anti-hydrogen atoms for a second and suchlike

But to be fair this is very useful for laboratory work

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Positrons (anti-electrons) are used in medical imaging

Also android brains

• Options
    Antimatter also occurs naturally and we can find it in cosmic rays

• Options
    edited August 2019
    particle accelerators can create a tiny amount of antimatter I think? I might be mixing up video games with real life though. It's definitely a real substance that exists in the universe and has been experimented with.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The problem with that is you start trying to make antimatter with a particle accelerator and next thing you know some alien head crab thing is eating your face and that one quite dude has to save you. I may be mixing that up with videogames, but in pretty sure that's what I read in a textbook.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    A new idea has been put forth as to how the first problem in emergence of life was overcome. I'm not gonna spoil it, I'm just gonna give the problem.
    First, the easy bit. Early cell membranes were built from fatty acids—molecules that look like lollipops, with round heads and long tails. The heads enjoy the company of water; the tails despise it. So, when placed in water, fatty acids self-assemble into hollow spheres, with the water-hating tails pointing inward and the water-loving heads on the surface. These spheres can enclose RNA and proteins, making protocells. Fatty acids, then, can automatically create the compartments that were necessary for life to emerge. It almost seems too good to be true.

And it is, for two reasons. Life first arose in salty oceans, and salt catastrophically destabilizes the fatty-acid spheres. Also, certain ions, including magnesium and iron, cause the spheres to collapse, which is problematic since RNA—another key component of early protocells—requires these ions. How, then, could life possibly have arisen, when the compartments it needs are destroyed by the conditions in which it first emerged, and by the very ingredients it needs to thrive?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Turning Earth Into a Telescope | The Terrascope
    https://youtu.be/jgOTZe07eHA
    29:51
    When it comes to telescopes, bigger is better. That's why we're investing billions of dollars into a new generation of "extremely large telescopes", such as the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT). But is 30 meters truly extreme? Could it be possible to ever build a telescope on the scale of a planet? In a new research paper by our very own Professor David Kipping, a solution for turning the Earth into a "Terrascope" is presented. Join us on a journey though the history of telescope inventions as well David's own personal journey to devising this new radical approach to the telescope.

Peas on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Skyfall is an insane and horrible and deeply unsettling idea, like project Pluto/SLAM.

This discussion has been closed.