As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitarRegistered User regular
Happy Fridax! Everybody keep this energy today:

DkwflHQVAAEcaXu.jpg:large

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Just got a call from the place I was doing my application at. They decided to go with someone else. Which is fine, it was kind of a long shot anyway and I live a couple hundred miles away.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If you're going to have entrance music, it's hard to argue with the classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm
    too sexy for HR

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I’d play this:

https://youtu.be/RBOI_fDZh6c

And then explain this is why you should slack me at work instead of trying to alert me verbally :P

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’d play this:

https://youtu.be/RBOI_fDZh6c

And then explain this is why you should slack me at work instead of trying to alert me verbally :P

WHAT?!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Finally got to quit.

Big panic, lots of scrambling. I've got a month of work ahead already done. So they have time to train up. Made a bunch of documentation, recorded some workflow example gifs.

Now I sit and wait for the day to end.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    In honor of the new thread, please have an anecdote from yesterday's practice student presentations which went down like a fucking lead balloon on twitter
    Student talking about ant behavioural experiments: "So after [researcher] reaches 3cm, she begins contraction ..."
    Me: becomes incoherent for the next five minutes

tynic on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Finally got to quit.

Big panic, lots of scrambling. I've got a month of work ahead already done. So they have time to train up. Made a bunch of documentation, recorded some workflow example gifs.

Now I sit and wait for the day to end.

How long were you there? How did it break bad so fast?

Can we start a company together yet?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    In honor of the new thread, please have an anecdote from yesterday's practice student presentations which went down like a fucking lead balloon on twitter
    Student talking about ant behavioural experiments: "So after [researcher] reaches 3cm, she begins contraction ..."

But that's why you have practice runs, right?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Student practice talks are the bestworst

• Options
    Things I have learned this week: apparently there's a precedent where you can accept a demotion and request a transfer to any open position in the system, no questions asked.

As a worker, this seems like a really great policy and an excellent way to counteract the insidious effects of the Peter Principle! I imagine this results in a stronger management team over time for sure.

As a manager, it means that I'm getting some rando starting an important supervisor position on Monday, and I didn't get to interview them or any of the other candidates ahead of time, and they were unhappy enough in their previous supervisor position to take a pay cut to get the hell out of it for reasons I'm not allowed to know unless they feel like sharing. I'm feeling railroaded and grumpy and apprehensive, and I am doing deep breathing/drinking exercises in preparation for not taking it out on them and making the best of it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    So my GM that had put in notice because he took a job in the energy sector? Corporate decided that instead of letting him finish out and transition smoothly, they'd just come march him out of the shop this morning.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    2mo 22day (serendipitous!)

I just got bored.

It was simple office and organizational work, things I am unintentionally adept at. Once I'd removed all the obstacles they'd let get set up, the job that was billed at ~30h a week could be done in 8h across two days. Then it was just 20 minutes of maintenance each morning and the odd touch during the day.

So I started doing procurement because it was a bad system. Within one day we had tracking, better vendors, and delivery. Now a one of the cleaners fills out a sheet once a week and boxes arrive by the Friday with everything needed plus reserve.

So I started doing sales. 85% conversion rate, I burned up all leads that had been generated within a week. I mean all leads. The sales funnel was empty each day by noon.

So I started working on marketing, got shut down because Owner wanted that to be his thing.

So I wait at my desk for the phone to ring, but because the marketing is poor it doesn't ring often. Ultimately I'm sorry not sorry I don't want to be a glorified receptionist.

Plus, I like to move. I was not built for desk work. I want to sweat, I want my muscles to strain and I want to solve problems.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    So my GM that had put in notice because he took a job in the energy sector? Corporate decided that instead of letting him finish out and transition smoothly, they'd just come march him out of the shop this morning.

qxd91djtlggt.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    2mo 22day (serendipitous!)

I just got bored.

It was simple office and organizational work, things I am unintentionally adept at. Once I'd removed all the obstacles they'd let get set up, the job that was billed at ~30h a week could be done in 8h across two days. Then it was just 20 minutes of maintenance each morning and the odd touch during the day.

So I started doing procurement because it was a bad system. Within one day we had tracking, better vendors, and delivery. Now a one of the cleaners fills out a sheet once a week and boxes arrive by the Friday with everything needed plus reserve.

So I started doing sales. 85% conversion rate, I burned up all leads that had been generated within a week. I mean all leads. The sales funnel was empty each day by noon.

So I started working on marketing, got shut down because Owner wanted that to be his thing.

So I wait at my desk for the phone to ring, but because the marketing is poor it doesn't ring often. Ultimately I'm sorry not sorry I don't want to be a glorified receptionist.

Plus, I like to move. I was not built for desk work. I want to sweat, I want my muscles to stain and I want to solve problems.

how do you get them to do this

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I hate phone typing, it's why my post rate has gone down. I spend as much time correcting as I do the writing bit.

But generally you apply a generous oil based natural pigment, then let rest and cure for the next 24h.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    anon, sounds like you really need to start a business!

shit even a consultant business for what you just did would be good $$

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'm continually frustrated that in five years of texting on an iPhone, my skills in typing have improved not one bit. It's fucking maddening.

Chalk it up to a bad case of old man fingers I guess.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm real glad it's fridax, this week's been a bit trying due to me having to cover reception a lot (the girl that covers reception normally is on vacation, the two people we got that WILL be trained on reception backup literally just started and haven't been trained yet, the other girl that would normally cover reception in absences of folks had her last day on wednesday)

This weekend will be... interesting, but I'll have lots of time with the kids, so should hopefully be fun!

• Options
    In a followup to yesterdays discussion, i have four papers to write and submit almost simultaneously
    this is pretty much the definition of a good problem to have, but it's still exhausting

• Options
    Left work early today to take the ITF comp tia cert. I know it is pretty basic but I am studied up for it. It’s essentially a proof of concept for my work that they should support my push into IT and pay for future certs. So, here goes

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'm extremely unproductive today. I took forever this week to transcribe and reorganize 25 pages of notes from a 5 hour interview, and now I'm doing my best to avoid actually writing the memo.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I worked at the hell known to men the toxic manager would tell people he wants them dancing {going back and forth working quickly not looking for where items go} so I encouraged the team to troll him with real dances
    Then one day in the back room he at the start of the shift said he wanted that line moving, dancing. so as he walked away I put on one song as I was put back in charge after the other support walked away and I being an idiot accepted it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDwOFThiNnA
    He never talked about he wanted to see people dancing the rest of the time I was there

It's been 6 weeks of boredom but it's so nice to be free of that place but you can sure feel what I was afraid of that the revolving door of turnover as people would be back months later working there.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    How about walk-out songs instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCfYDZAw26k

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Left work early because I had a really bad stomach ache. Mostly concerned that the liver tumor, that I haven't thought about much for the past 5 years, is up to something. Could also be a stomach bug, but can't rule anything out. And now the place I last saw a doctor at needs me to fax my medical records to them, since it's been so long and they apparently don't have anything, before I can get an appointment. Going to just ride it this weekend with no food and hope it gets better by Monday... I left some things not done at work today.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Your company, a couple of months ago, discovered that their big losses at a certain store that happens to be about 8 blocks from me, were not due to accounting errors or even rampant customer theft, but because the head of security for the store was stealing LARGE amounts of cash. They have a little bit of reason to not want people who have access to things hang around with no recourse for fuckery.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

Your company, a couple of months ago, discovered that their big losses at a certain store that happens to be about 8 blocks from me, were not due to accounting errors or even rampant customer theft, but because the head of security for the store was stealing LARGE amounts of cash. They have a little bit of reason to not want people who have access to things hang around with no recourse for fuckery.

There's a difference between being fired for cause and moving on professionally. Unless he'd given them a reason to think he was a liability, this still sounds like pretty crap behaviour.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    It is crap, but is also super-common.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

There's a difference between being fired for cause and moving on professionally. Unless he'd given them a reason to think he was a liability, this still sounds like pretty crap behaviour.

It's a great way to stop getting any significant notice from folks.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Do we get overtime pay for the last thread?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm whats that? Its Friday and I just got turned down for a job? Yeah, I think I'll drink some beer when I get home.

Oh yeah I have finals for the summer semester to work on. Another day beer. Another day.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

No, just a lot of exposure

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Man, no part of me wants to be exposed by or to Tube.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Man, no part of me wants to be exposed by or to Tube.

If you seek further compensation you will find him in The Grotto

• Options
    edited August 2019
    bowen wrote: »
    anon, sounds like you really need to start a business!

shit even a consultant business for what you just did would be good $$

I've started doing it, I have three consulting clients right now. I've wrapped one, half way through the second, and we're getting data together on the third. So, slow moving snowball.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Last night we had some thunderstorms that included some interestingly intermittent golf-ball sized hail. It wasn't a constant barrage, but every minute or two for an hour or so a giant hailstone would bounce off my carport or roof with a loud bang. So every time there was a hailstone I'd wake up thinking I'd heard a gunshot and every time I heard a rumble of thunder I'd wake up thinking someone was walking around in my house. This threw me into a weird sleep/adrenaline cycle that segued into the first sleep paralysis I've had in over a decade, with a lucid dreaming twist.

I had a vivid hallucination that I managed to get out of bed, but my muscles were barely cooperating and I was doing that classic sleep paralysis gasp where you can't get any air because your attempts at voluntary breathing are doing isometric exercises with your usual involuntary sleep breathing. I managed to stagger my way to the kitchen to guzzle a glass of water.

When I turned around from the sink, I saw through my windows that my neighbor's entire back yard and driveway were filled with teens. Not particularly menacing teens, just a whole mess of high schoolers milling about and drinking and lounging on furniture that they'd dragged in from somewhere. But the mere presence of that many teenagers right outside my house filled me with a dread and terror that rivaled any of my previous sleep paralysis evocations of shadowmen and rib-crushing demons.

Then I woke up heaving desperately for breath, and realized I was still thirsty, and that I hadn't gone to the kitchen at all.

School starts on Monday.

This job has broken me.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    And passed, pretty easy exam outside of some truly vague questions.

I think I will start prepping for Net+ now

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIgfiSzCy1o

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The idea of a librarian having nightmares about teenagers is darkly hilarious

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The idea of a librarian having nightmares about teenagers is darkly hilarious

Teens lounging around

Menacingly