As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The idea of a librarian having nightmares about teenagers is darkly hilarious

Not just librarians, basically anyone working in a high school.

Full time stress with part time pay!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Teens lounging around

Menacingly

They weren't even skateboarding! Or vaping! It's definitely the lamest I've ever been at any level of consciousness.

But, you know. I get where I was coming from.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm just gonna start embracing everyone referring to me as management even though I'm technically not. I am totally the glue here. There used to be an actual management position for people like me, but the company got rid of it.

Weaver on
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I got a job in a call center

It was pretty okay

Got trained into taking Vermont Maine and New Hampshire

It is no longer okay

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Whoo! Got a pretty nice raise effective on the first. Wont see it until next week, but it's pretty nice. Had a coworker go to bat for me as well, which really helped out.

PSN: jfrofl
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This past week I learned that one of my current professors was the school psychologist for my middle-school when I attended it.

Three days into the class he approached me and said that my name sounded familiar. He finally remembered that my name got brought up a lot with a middle-school friend of mine that the professor used to work with quite a bit.

Later that day he recounted stories of my female classmates attacking each other in ways that were brutal & spiteful.

SMALL-WORLD, HUH? HYUCK, HYUCK, HYUCK

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sooo I got my review back today
    I actually got an “Exceeds expectations” rating in ALL categories

And therefore a 12% pay increase and a promotion in title to go with it

I guess this is what happens when I get transferred to a new supervisor who actually knows my job

Joolander on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    2mo 22day (serendipitous!)

I just got bored.

It was simple office and organizational work, things I am unintentionally adept at. Once I'd removed all the obstacles they'd let get set up, the job that was billed at ~30h a week could be done in 8h across two days. Then it was just 20 minutes of maintenance each morning and the odd touch during the day.

So I started doing procurement because it was a bad system. Within one day we had tracking, better vendors, and delivery. Now a one of the cleaners fills out a sheet once a week and boxes arrive by the Friday with everything needed plus reserve.

So I started doing sales. 85% conversion rate, I burned up all leads that had been generated within a week. I mean all leads. The sales funnel was empty each day by noon.

So I started working on marketing, got shut down because Owner wanted that to be his thing.

So I wait at my desk for the phone to ring, but because the marketing is poor it doesn't ring often. Ultimately I'm sorry not sorry I don't want to be a glorified receptionist.

Plus, I like to move. I was not built for desk work. I want to sweat, I want my muscles to stain and I want to solve problems.

how do you get them to do this

Hematoxylin and eosin is the standard if it's basic cell morphology you're interested in. Do you have access to a cryotome?

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I got a job in a call center

It was pretty okay

Got trained into taking Vermont Maine and New Hampshire

It is no longer okay

at some point in my past, I worked at a call center in Maine. We did cellular 411 service.

Somebody in the big people office elsewhere decided that, due to the time differences, our office that was open from 7am-11pm was the correct office to take 411 calls from Hawai'i.

Do you have any idea how hillarious it is listening to a Downeast Mainer try and say words of Polynesian origin? It's pretty fucking funny.

I mean, the customers were decidedly unhappy with us mainlanders not understanding things and that particular shuffling of the call areas was quickly turned around after about two months.

But, what a 2 months they were.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I love my kids. Like all of them.

It is singly the most stressful job out there. It's not about the fear of a kid. It's the stress about asking young people who are struggling to find their own self identity and independence and express their independence, to succeed in ways that they may not initially want to do.

Blake T on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I have to do a bunch of overtime for the next three weeks to fix a thing and it's my own fault so I can't even be mad at anyone else about it and it sucks. Bleh.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Broke: Calling the cops to help get rid of an unruly customer.

Woke: Unruly customer calls cops on us for kicking her out, and for threatening her with a weapon.

Said weapon is a.... broom. She literally screamed at my coworker because the teenager was sweeping near her.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Work continues to schedule test runs on weekends when we only have 1 lab guy here to say whether something is good or bad. So of course they come out to me and say "hey this steel is barely passing our quality test we need to hold everything."

And now I'm scrambling to figure out how much stock we have and whether or not we're about to run 36 hours worth of scrap.

Like, this shit should not be hard. Don't run qualifications or old steel that didn't pass on the weekends. Our TQO's need to be here to monitor this stuff in real time and we need to only run a little at a time and have plenty of good product to swap to in the event stuff is bad. I got too much stuff to do to be doing all of this on top of it.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The professor who I had to turn down for a TA position may have it reopen cause another student (he's got 2 TAs) might take another opportunity. Heard from this student. And also found out I can do 30 hours of TA'ing in a semester in my 2nd year (which I didn't know beforehand) and since this position would be 10 hours on top of the 20 (more like 5 lol) I'll be doing I could TA for him, especially since the class that was conflicted at that time was cancelled.

Kinda may work out?

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Why did I listen to them and think I could cross i90?

The construction warnings were everywhere!

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I am very quickly losing confidence in staying on permanent. After the dumb talk about the chat stuff and then seeing I got a grades call of good/needs improvement of my first call this month I feel like I'm screwed.

I really need to start applying but I'm having such a hard time getting started. Job searching is so fucking tedious and no where will hire be except for call centers.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm at a party and was speaking with someone who went from working at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America to whatever empty husk remains of Sears Holding.

Just...where could they possibly go from there to complete the unholy trifecta?

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Happy Fridax to me!

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Just got home from vacation. Found out one of my cats was locked in a room while we were gone. Now I'm sitting at the emergency vet to get her checked out.

I was hoping the bad shit could wait till Monday.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just got home from vacation. Found out one of my cats was locked in a room while we were gone. Now I'm sitting at the emergency vet to get her checked out.

I was hoping the bad shit could wait till Monday.

Oh no, hope she's ok! Cats are hearty creatures though, likely some fluids will set her right.

And you know this but it won't hurt you to hear it again, mistakes happen and it's not your fault, there can be a lot of chaos going on trips and missing something is normal.

QuantumTurk on
    I mean, my hope is fluids and she'll be fine. And I know that we didn't do it intentionally. But I feel miserable right now. She howled so much that she sounds hoarse.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Poor kitty. I hope she's not too mad at you.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It's really discouraging getting all these "we've considered your qualifications and are pursuing other applicants" emails, but I'm gonna keep soldiering on

I've been looking into doing GrubHub or something like that until I get something else

Also ShadowFire, I hope your kitty is ok :(

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    The last week and a half I was in Kansas City to train a new employee. It was my first ever business trip and the longest I've ever left my cat alone. I had a friend check on her while I was away, but she hid every time my friend and her daughter came over so she went 9 days without any human interaction. When I got home she was waiting by the door for me and hasn't left my side since.

Also while I was in KC I had an interview for the SharePoint developer position. I think it went well but won't find out for a few weeks still because reasons. I also had my annual review where my manager said that whenever she thinks about giving someone an 'outstanding' rating she compares them to me. So that was nice.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Saw a dude with a tattoo on his dick that said "your name." Easily the highlight of my week.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Nina is home. They don't think she was in the room the whole week because she'd be a lot worse. Her red cell count is low though, which may be kidneys as she's an older kitty. Subq fluids and some anti-nausea meds and she's home, walking around and meowing (croaking?) at everything. Bringing her back in a week to get follow-up.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Are we still recommending walk-in music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRLdhFVzqt4

sig.gif
    Nina is home. They don't think she was in the room the whole week because she'd be a lot worse. Her red cell count is low though, which may be kidneys as she's an older kitty. Subq fluids and some anti-nausea meds and she's home, walking around and meowing (croaking?) at everything. Bringing her back in a week to get follow-up.

Aw, hope she's on the mend! A croaky cat is sad to hear but is at least one that's still engaged and active in things.

TheStig wrote: »
    Saw a dude with a tattoo on his dick that said "your name." Easily the highlight of my week.

Holy shit, "I bet I've got your name on my dick"
    "I haven't even told you my name yet..."

Like it's a bold strat for sure, but it sure would help you narrow down to just your target group in a hurry.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Sounds like she did the classic cat maneuver of closing herself in a room.

My cat's done that countless times.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My parents keep weights in front of the doors in their house to prevent them from closing unless we want them closed. This is less to do with trapped cats though and more how we think one of our cats was caught between the frame and a door slammed shut from air pressure and that's how he suffered the jaw injury that ultimately led to his death.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    (Frantically checking all the doors of my house now)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Finally got to transfer my first supervisor call. Dude was pissed both his parents were denied as cosigners and refused to believe that us lowly phone agents aren't trained on the intricacies of the credit check the system we have automatically does. Told him the supervisors don't have that info either and there is no one he can talk to since it is proprietary stuff.

Supervisor told him the same thing. The call did not end happily.

This is probably the most common question people ask too, what kind of credit score they need to be approved or what kind if score do they need for specific APR.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Studying for the Net+ now and already enjoying this more than the ITF. It’s nice to be digging into the nitty gritty of tech instead of just overview stuff.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I have that book. It's pretty good.

It looked good!

(I took a photo because that's my archiving method for "stuff I kinda want to buy", then every three-four months if I'm having a real shit day I'll go to an independent bookstore and buy as much of the photo list as I can find. It's very soothing.)

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Tynic, why would you wound me so?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited August 2019
    it's called higher order thinking, zon

tynic on