As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @Lord_Asmodeus

If you add an ‘l’ before the .jpg then imgur resizes to a handy forum size image so you can embed.

I’ve taken the liberty of doing this to yours to demonstrate and because they are awesome and deserve to be seen.

GwhMeell.jpg
    4TkSrcpl.jpg
    w4S2RXSl.jpg
    CXMwHYfl.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Purple
    Finally got my mojo going. Painted one lieutenant. The stripe is a little off, and I'm sure there is other stuff I could do to it.
    3Rwyzpx.jpg
    64Qk9Pe.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again Damn Zandri Dust I meant to get Ushabti Bone this time

The Citadel Paint App has a paint inventory and wishlist feature, so you can know at a glance what paints you own already and which ones you need to pick up. It's pretty awesome and has saved me from buying the wrong paint on more than one occasion.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    That Ikea rack is about to change my bloody life.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again Damn Zandri Dust I meant to get Ushabti Bone this time

The Citadel Paint App has a paint inventory and wishlist feature, so you can know at a glance what paints you own already and which ones you need to pick up. It's pretty awesome and has saved me from buying the wrong paint on more than one occasion.

I was going to recommend this as well, and also admit that even with the app I’ve still bought doubles:p

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    @Lord_Asmodeus

If you add an ‘l’ before the .jpg then imgur resizes to a handy forum size image so you can embed.

I’ve taken the liberty of doing this to yours to demonstrate and because they are awesome and deserve to be seen.

GwhMeell.jpg
    4TkSrcpl.jpg
    w4S2RXSl.jpg
    CXMwHYfl.jpg

Oh thanks, that's handy.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So the shoulders dried pretty well. The next thing I wanted to try was a dry brush. Not really feeling the dry brush.

6xwm5fcd74et.jpg
    byy4ukb0f71f.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    On the white pad the dry brush works for a frosted look. The yellow orange pad looks much better without it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I have it but I did not think to use it yesterday because I was more mentally trying to envision why he would recommend sotek green for a highlight for my kill team. I showed him the mini and I did say a lighter blue did not turn out the way I want and Alaitoc Blue is about a shade off night lords blue so that was out. I know I will use a lot of zandri dust but o well I now have two pots. I just cat napped and still was kind of tired after my bike ride yesterday {it was nearly 10 miles round trip}

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again
    I grabbed a couple of these and have since found it much easier to keep track of what paint I have (and don't have)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    Viking wrote: »
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again
    I grabbed a couple of these and have since found it much easier to keep track of what paint I have (and don't have)

I got one of these. It works perfectly for GW paints. I need a second one though to hold my billion paints.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N24LHLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

u7stthr17eud.png
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Retro-Repulsor completed!

retromarines_executioner_turn.gif

retromarines_executioner01.jpg

retromarines_executioner02.jpg

retromarines_executioner03.jpg

website_header.jpg
    Purple
    F
    Stragint wrote: »
    On the other hand here’s an Intercessor holding and Auspex for my kill team that I’m happy with. I’m working on him along with the Lt, with the only difference being that I’m waiting on the leather parts until I get my paint (it’s currently being shipped overseas, so sometime in September):

ftfu0lrmxlgy.jpeg

And a close-up of the Auspex:
    yt5a3sftwyrs.jpeg

Even with the extreme close up I’m pretty proud of how these have turned out so far. I didn’t want to use the same Dark Angels color progression for the screen; luckily I’m still keeping in touch with the GW Store manager I used to frequent, and he’s happy to keep offering advice. I used Waugh! Flesh over the black undercoat and then completely covered it with the new Sons of Horus green. Then Skarsnik for the lines and Krueger Khaki for the dots and a slightly thinned Biel-Tan green wash. I’m thinking of doing a layer of ‘Ard Coat on just the screen after I varnish the model, and I’ll post an update then.

Big thanks to Dr. Keenbean for the advice on the DA color scheme.

If you want a tutorial for Space Wolves and contrast this one is really good.

https://youtu.be/25NzJDd4D_4

Gonna start doing washes on my Tau KT in colorshift paint. Instead of pin washing I'm going to use gloss reikland flesh, agrax, and nuln oil depending on the color.

Also gonna start painting my candy blue metallic grey knights. Working on one using the vallejo metallic aluminum color to paint the trim.

I actually had that video buried in my Watch Later list. I’ve got the 5-man squad assembled, but now I just need to wait for a good time to prime them with a Grey Seer rattlecan. It’s super hot and humid in Tokyo right now: upwards of 80% humidity and 90 degrees during the day, so I’m hoping to wake up early and knock that out. If not, I still have my sister’s Harlequins to finish.

In the video he mentions using water with Flo-Aide. What is that?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2019
    F
    On the other hand here’s an Intercessor holding and Auspex for my kill team that I’m happy with. I’m working on him along with the Lt, with the only difference being that I’m waiting on the leather parts until I get my paint (it’s currently being shipped overseas, so sometime in September):

ftfu0lrmxlgy.jpeg

And a close-up of the Auspex:
    yt5a3sftwyrs.jpeg

Even with the extreme close up I’m pretty proud of how these have turned out so far. I didn’t want to use the same Dark Angels color progression for the screen; luckily I’m still keeping in touch with the GW Store manager I used to frequent, and he’s happy to keep offering advice. I used Waugh! Flesh over the black undercoat and then completely covered it with the new Sons of Horus green. Then Skarsnik for the lines and Krueger Khaki for the dots and a slightly thinned Biel-Tan green wash. I’m thinking of doing a layer of ‘Ard Coat on just the screen after I varnish the model, and I’ll post an update then.

Big thanks to Dr. Keenbean for the advice on the DA color scheme.

If you want a tutorial for Space Wolves and contrast this one is really good.

https://youtu.be/25NzJDd4D_4

Gonna start doing washes on my Tau KT in colorshift paint. Instead of pin washing I'm going to use gloss reikland flesh, agrax, and nuln oil depending on the color.

Also gonna start painting my candy blue metallic grey knights. Working on one using the vallejo metallic aluminum color to paint the trim.

I actually had that video buried in my Watch Later list. I’ve got the 5-man squad assembled, but now I just need to wait for a good time to prime them with a Grey Seer rattlecan. It’s super hot and humid in Tokyo right now: upwards of 80% humidity and 90 degrees during the day, so I’m hoping to wake up early and knock that out. If not, I still have my sister’s Harlequins to finish.

In the video he mentions using water with Flo-Aide. What is that?

I've been trying to figure that out but I can't figure it out. I think it is just some flow improver mixed with water but I don't know the ratio if so. It is the only part stopping me from going hog wild on painting my Space Wolves.
    honovere wrote: »
    On the white pad the dry brush works for a frosted look. The yellow orange pad looks much better without it.

Yea, I think I'm gonna leave the yellow pad without the dry brush. I might try to do this with the castellan shoulder pads as well. I kind of want to get a sort of icicle look on those shoulders but I have no idea how I'd do that.

I also want to base the skeleton of my castellan and two helverins gold while the knight and two warglaives have gunmetal grey metallic over burnt iron.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    put together a daemon prince yesterday, i'd say it's about 80% done

8ITnsWMl.jpg

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
    For my current knight warglaives I did grey prime, burnt iron base, and metallic gun metal grey layer, all vallejo stuff.

Not sure what base to use for the gold for castellan and helverins. Would burnt iron work as a good base again?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Part boy, part harp, all fun! Knocked this out a little quickly, I do want to actually play with this Slaanesh army at some point and I can't be spending a month on a single model like with the KoS, but it's good enough for now.

qu1xc58z9nfn.jpg
    lh9wbe28xw5z.jpg
    di0t0sgw6g4l.jpg
    986emq9szs5m.jpg

That model is still more gross than all the nurgle models combined.

What is a good color to dry brush on gold?

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

Yeah. It rules!

Yeah. It rules!

I am tempted to put dark eldar kabal armor next to it but that would be silly and cool

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    0U1dGEBl.jpg
    Yay stinkyboi Chaos Knight almost done, just gotta base it

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Purple

More gold! And then very small highlights of Stormhost silver

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2019

More gold! And then very small highlights of Stormhost silver

Thank you, I will give that a try.

I bought golden griffon and sigmarite dry brush paint. Gonna wait until I put on the vallejo metallic gold airbrush paint before deciding which to dry brush with. Not sure how this vallejo gold paint is going to come out.

Stragint on

Purple
    Don’t forget to give it a nice Sepia or Reikland shade first. Reikland gives you a more reddish color.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Don’t forget to give it a nice Sepia or Reikland shade first. Reikland gives you a more reddish color.

I was planning on doing a gloss wash with reikland since I did gloss nuln oil on the first knight and warglaives.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    after watching some youtube tutorials i've decided to lay in some oil paints and try some scuzzy blanchitsu style painting. anyone got advice beyond 'smash it with a burnt umber wash'?!

manji wrote: »
    after watching some youtube tutorials i've decided to lay in some oil paints and try some scuzzy blanchitsu style painting. anyone got advice beyond 'smash it with a burnt umber wash'?!

varnish your model before using oil paints.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    dsaanEN.jpg

Figuring out my Golem scheme as I go. Like a diving suit, but for mashing people with hammers. Hard to do green chaos and not head into nurgly territory though. Ah well!

J on
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    I just got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBCPM6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it fits Citadel paints, Secret Weapon Pigments, Glue, My large thing of Vallejo Surface primer.

It's super nice. I have ~50-60 dropper bottles a dozen citadels and tons of spare room.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    Koreg wrote: »
    I just got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GBCPM6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it fits Citadel paints, Secret Weapon Pigments, Glue, My large thing of Vallejo Surface primer.

It's super nice. I have ~50-60 dropper bottles a dozen citadels and tons of spare room.

I bought something similar and it's mostly worked great. I have some issues with dropper bottles tipping over the front and going tumbling but not often. I recomend these as well for paint organization if you need something on the desktop.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    Yeah I just primed all of my Warcry stuff and I don't know how I want to do the color schemes for any of the stuff.

One thing I am worried about is I applied the texture before priming on the raptoryx and furies (though I did provide a prime coat for the texture to stick to) and I just hope it responds well to the use of a shade/wash. I'm using Agrellan Earth and I plan on using it normally with the Untamed Beasts but I am thinking I'll apply it then paint over it on the Iron Golems, I don't know how tricky that's going to be though. I also have some grass to add to some of it, but it's standard green and not dried/dead in coloration.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Yeah I just primed all of my Warcry stuff and I don't know how I want to do the color schemes for any of the stuff.

One thing I am worried about is I applied the texture before priming on the raptoryx and furies (though I did provide a prime coat for the texture to stick to) and I just hope it responds well to the use of a shade/wash. I'm using Agrellan Earth and I plan on using it normally with the Untamed Beasts but I am thinking I'll apply it then paint over it on the Iron Golems, I don't know how tricky that's going to be though. I also have some grass to add to some of it, but it's standard green and not dried/dead in coloration.

I've primed models that I already put basing material on and it came out just fine. I painted the texture paint I wanted and washed/dry brushed like normal and it looked fine.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Wait I don't understand what you meohgodthat'saperson

• see317see317 Registered User regular

The music was inside you all along. We are just trying to help bring it out.

see317 wrote: »

The music was inside you all along. We are just trying to help bring it out.

I could post pics of my former keyboard

Purple
    Honestly, I've never done layering before, and it seems like the kind of time-consuming fine control and judgment stuff I often struggle with. I don't know if it would be better to forego it, or if those are all the more reason to try and get it down.

Purple
    Honestly, I've never done layering before, and it seems like the kind of time-consuming fine control and judgment stuff I often struggle with. I don't know if it would be better to forego it, or if those are all the more reason to try and get it down.

Base/contrast plus shade is perfectly fine for tabletop play: GW endorses that specifically. When you want to go to the next level, start with some dry bushes and glazes, and then pick a few singular models like characters or sergeants and start with a single layer of highlight.

Sorry for the poor quality of this one (and the poor choice of background), but here is my sister-in-law’s Daemonettes with just contrast and a quick drybrush. These are her first models, but I think the technique is pretty simple and produces a solid result:
    z19b0tbda2a5.jpeg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2019
    I just had the most frustrating time priming with my airbrush. Primed the castellan and two armigers and I had to stop 4 times while priming to go to the sink and clean it out because it kept clogging and causing backflow to come out of the trigger area.

I'm beginning to rethink using airbrush thinner over flow improver. It just dries so fast with the thinner.

I feel like they all look good. I'm gonna inspect them tomorrow morning to make sure but I'm so annoyed right now.

Edit: Just looked at them. Mostly good except one armiger. I really don't want to prime anymore.

Stragint on

edited August 2019
    Purple

Base/contrast plus shade is perfectly fine for tabletop play: GW endorses that specifically. When you want to go to the next level, start with some dry bushes and glazes, and then pick a few singular models like characters or sergeants and start with a single layer of highlight.

Sorry for the poor quality of this one (and the poor choice of background), but here is my sister-in-law’s Daemonettes with just contrast and a quick drybrush. These are her first models, but I think the technique is pretty simple and produces a solid result:
    z19b0tbda2a5.jpeg

I mean my current technique is base, wash, drybrush, highlights/details. Maybe my dry brushing needs improvement but I never feel I get as much out of it as I can, personally.

Lord_Asmodeus on
This discussion has been closed.