As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I seem to remember a game being discussed in this thread. It was space based, but more like a FPS version of Faster Than Light, with ship boarding and whatnot. It sounds so far up my alley that it's sitting in my living room with a cup of tea.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    From Other Suns. It also has online co-op.

• BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »

Wow. I looked that up and it sounds amazing! Sad that it is only for the Oculus :cry:

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

Wow. I looked that up and it sounds amazing! Sad that it is only for the Oculus :cry:

How good is Revive at this point, and how well does it support the Index & controllers?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

How good is Revive at this point, and how well does it support the Index & controllers?
    RoadToVR was very positive about using Revive with an Index, and version 1.7.2 dropped a couple days ago with some bug fixes specifically for the Index.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

RoadToVR was very positive about using Revive with an Index, and version 1.7.2 dropped a couple days ago with some bug fixes specifically for the Index.

Yay! Seems like it's time to start buying Oculus exclusives when they go on sale now.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    @Orogogus

Your mention of Wrench was spot on! I didn't get to try all the new games I got, but I spent over an hour in Wrench and it is pretty much exactly what I wanted :+1:

The text was really hard to read at first but I was able to max the pixel density and that fixed it. I had to lower the other graphics settings some to compensate, but it still looks great and the text is much easier to read. The interactions are amazing. I've never been much of a car guy so I'm learning some things as well. I only changed the oil so far but having to purchase the oil filter was a great touch. I'm not sure if the money I spend is counted in any way, but I'm loving it!

It's another thing that I think will be twice as good once I'm set up for room scale and can walk around more!

I also tried Space Battle VR but the controls are a little iffy. I might play around with that one some more. I also need to figure out proper positioning for it. Haven't tried the others yet since I've been standing playing in VR for almost three hours, so I'm taking a break!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    if anyone hasn't heard yet, no mans sky is getting it's next major update in a few days time at it includes VR support. From all reports the VR support is excellent, with most previews judging it to be more or less on par with a made for VR game.

Launch trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM7ArMxUFR0

VR trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUGZYh2HxHM

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Aircar isn't an Oculus exclusive any more, and it's still free. It's exactly what it sounds like, and I think it's a great demo piece for anyone's VR library.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I have reached PC/VR harmony. My new rig is up and running, and damn the VR improvement is pretty huge. SteamVR went from recommending 75% scaling on a 980 Ti to 150% on a 2070 Super -- I've been really happy to see that everything runs well at 150% so far. Even Subnautica! It went from only playable at 50% to being super smooth at 150% -- it still likes to hitch when you travel far and it has to load assets, but that's just Subnautica's thing. I can play it on the same settings I do on a monitor now, and it's a blast despite the lack of motion control support.

My body is ready for NMS.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I have a question as someone who is probably going to invest in a Index or something soon.

I have my PC in one room, the TV/stand-up VR space in another. How do I manage that? Long cables?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Yeah, either move your PC or get long cables if it's not too long of a gap to bridge. The Index has a display port plug, USB plug, and power plug, so you would need extension cables for all of those. I went with just moving my PC to the living room and taking out the coffee table, buuut that's not exactly practical for everyone.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Wait... is the NMS VR update going to include HOTAS support? That second trailer certainly seems to imply it.

EDIT - Hell, it's been a while since I played it, so maybe it already does. Still, that would be very cool in VR.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I still don't know how NMS is gonna handle the constant transition between standing and sitting

edited August 2019
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Wait... is the NMS VR update going to include HOTAS support? That second trailer certainly seems to imply it.

EDIT - Hell, it's been a while since I played it, so maybe it already does. Still, that would be very cool in VR.

Nope, no HOTAS support. It has a virtual HOTAS in VR! You manipulate it with your motion controllers.

I'm assuming will handle the sitting/standing transition by...not, probably. It's not the only game to do so -- if you're sitting in a chair you'll be sitting in your chair while standing or in a cockpit, and if you're standing up while playing you'll just be standing up in your cockpit. I play stuff like Subnautica standing up because I like being able to turn around easily, but some people do it while sitting down too. I'm bet it will just teleport you to the cockpit when you preform the animation -- the trailer kind of indicates that as well.

Fiatil on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What's the singleplayer campaign like in NMS now? Has it changed dramatically in terms of objectives?

Zek on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Zek wrote: »
    What's the singleplayer campaign like in NMS now? Has it changed dramatically in terms of objectives?

so you play about 5 hours of tutorial stuff, then you can access the "atlas rises" narrative which came out maybe 18 months ago? it's about thirty hours and fleshes out a lot of the lore

edit: this is pending any additional story stuff that might (at this stage probably won't) be added

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

so you play about 5 hours of tutorial stuff, then you can access the "atlas rises" narrative which came out maybe 18 months ago? it's about thirty hours and fleshes out a lot of the lore

edit: this is pending any additional story stuff that might (at this stage probably won't) be added

The story missions were added to and updated in the Next update as well. They might actually add more with Beyond, there's no telling exactly what all will be included with the third pillar, since it's adding over twice the amount of features that Next added.

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

The story missions were added to and updated in the Next update as well. They might actually add more with Beyond, there's no telling exactly what all will be included with the third pillar, since it's adding over twice the amount of features that Next added.

From interviews, sounds like the 'starting' quests are getting streamlined down to about half an hour or so.

A lot of the third pillar stuff appears to be QoL upgrades, improved base building, automation of resource gathering, and so on. Plus some sort of cooking system and taming creatures.

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i forgot there's also a deep diving related story that was added in the 'abyss' update

...which i haven't done and probably won't because i play permadeath and no way

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    i forgot there's also a deep diving related story that was added in the 'abyss' update

...which i haven't done and probably won't because i play permadeath and no way

I actually did some underwater stuff yesterday and it was really cool! They made doing aquatic shit way less dangerous with suit upgrades specifically for it and the submarine and all that. I think I'm going to dabble in that stuff soon, and VR will make it even cooler.

The aquatic horror scared the shit out of me though, I didn't know they were in the game!

JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2019
    So Star Wars Droid repair was pretty neat, great for free and I wouldn't have minded paying a few dollars for it

Really enjoying Elven Assassin also! Great little archery game! It supports four player coop, so any PA people want to give it a try? :biggrin:

Edit: I went ahead and picked up QuiVR as well since I've been having such a good time with the archery in The Lab and Elven Assassin :+1:

Bonepart on
    edited August 2019
    I think the bow-and-arrow game that's currently favored is In Death, which is a Roguelite instead of a tower defense or pure wave shooter.

EDIT: Any new VR owners looking for multiplayer friends might want to add their names to the signup form in the OP

Orogogus on
    Orogogus wrote: »
    I think the bow-and-arrow game that's currently favored is In Death, which is a Roguelite instead of a tower defense or pure wave shooter.

EDIT: Any new VR owners looking for multiplayer friends might want to add their names to the signup form in the OP

I'll probably end up getting In Death as well :+1:

I didn't realize the list was a thing. Thanks! It doesn't list the Index as an option so I just put the Vive, but I'm on there now

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Tried my buddy's PSVR this weekend and got hooked.

Unfortunately I don't have a PS4 or PC, so I'm looking at the Oculus Quest.

How is the game library? Also, is there a way to have it appear on my TV? or do I need to cast it or something (very new to all of this).

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    @Dhalphir and any other Aussies looking at an Index, apparently there’s a workaround that will let you order one. It’ll probably make it a lot harder to RMA if anything is wrong with it, however.

5gsowHm.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've mapped out the process. It's currently the pragmatic side of me saying "but what if you need to RMA it" and the other side going "WHO CARES IT WILL PROBABLY BE FINE"

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Tried my buddy's PSVR this weekend and got hooked.

Unfortunately I don't have a PS4 or PC, so I'm looking at the Oculus Quest.

How is the game library? Also, is there a way to have it appear on my TV? or do I need to cast it or something (very new to all of this).

The library is smaller than what you're get with something fully hooked up to your PC or PS4, and probably always will be just due to the limitations (although I'm sure it will continue to grow over time).

Looks like this is the official list of everything supported on the Quest (the last section is Browse All which I find easiest). It's got some really strong highlights, such as Superhot, Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer, and Moss. Those are some of The Best VR Games (tm), almost universally enjoyed and feeling transceThe sum total of everything in that list is 100 titles, though, so again: smaller library.

There's a way to load unofficial apps onto the Quest, but I don't know much about that. It's obviously not officially supported, so not quite the same experience. That could possibly open up the floor to more games and the SteamVR library to the Quest to some extent in the future? Dunno, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you get a PC down the road there is a method to stream games to the he headset.

Someone here in the forums seems to be a fairly skilled dev. They were mentioning something and doing their own scripts I believe.

I decided to hold off on the rift S and just use my Rift. I’ll prob wait for the next gen.

The quest might pull me in as completely wireless would be sick but we’ll see. I want the wireless streaming from the pc to be perfect

Dixon wrote: »
    If you get a PC down the road there is a method to stream games to the he headset.

Someone here in the forums seems to be a fairly skilled dev. They were mentioning something and doing their own scripts I believe.

I decided to hold off on the rift S and just use my Rift. I’ll prob wait for the next gen.

The quest might pull me in as completely wireless would be sick but we’ll see. I want the wireless streaming from the pc to be perfect

In my Google searching to make my previous post, I found that the previous way it was suggested to stream games from your PC to the Quest (via Virtual Desktop) was forced to shut down that feature by Oculus.

I don't have a Quest, maybe there's another way?

If they got PC streaming to be perfect.... there's basically no need for me to ever have any other VR thing haha. I'd snap buy the Quest if that were the case!

Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

In my Google searching to make my previous post, I found that the previous way it was suggested to stream games from your PC to the Quest (via Virtual Desktop) was forced to shut down that feature by Oculus.

If they got PC streaming to be perfect.... there's basically no need for me to ever have any other VR thing haha. I'd snap buy the Quest if that were the case!

I read that the Virtual Desktop dev put the streaming feature into the sideloaded version of the app, and that this was okay with Oculus:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/c084cn/virtual_desktop_update_142_steamvr_feature/

I read that the Virtual Desktop dev put the streaming feature into the sideloaded version of the app, and that this was okay with Oculus:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/c084cn/virtual_desktop_update_142_steamvr_feature/

Nice! Yeah, I read that he was probably going to do that, but not that he had. Someone with a Quest go try this out and update the thread :D

Steam profile
    I need to play more Beat Saber but Elven Assassin and Wrench have been dominating my time. Sadly work is taking me out of town this week and I'm not quite crazy enough to try to take my PC with me, although it is damn tempting!

Which also means I'll have to wait until Friday to try VR No Man's Sky :bigfrown:

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I do have a pretty decent PC to use. I've heard a little about the Quest, but not sure if the portability would be better for me than graphics or performance. I probably wouldn't take it anywhere, and it will most likely stay at home.

If the Quest is cheaper and has similar performance/graphics as other models, it might still be a viable option for me. I wouldn't mind having the option to play it in a different room from my computer or something if necessary.

Nice! Yeah, I read that he was probably going to do that, but not that he had. Someone with a Quest go try this out and update the thread :D

I can speak to the Quest, it's an amazing piece of hardware with a pretty brilliant software library especially given its age (I.e a few months old).

In terms of comparisons, I've A Rift with three sensors and a PSVR. The tracking is better than the PSVR and in most cases as good as the Rift, especially following the latest update. There is the occasional glitch, but that's also true of my rift set up.

Graphics wise, yep, it's running a mobile gpu but what it can do is pretty great. Superhot looked arguably better than it did on the rift and psvr (better optics in the headset, rendering wise its probably identical), I Expect You To Die looks identical and Beat Saber is missing a couple of transparency effects on the walls but otherwise looks the same.

Some games can look a little rough, Robo Recall has certainly had a graphical downgrade but it's still pretty impressive given what it's running on, and most importantly the core gameplay is identical.

Wireless is just brilliant, going back to a wire with my rift feels restrictive. Also I travel a lot so its great to be able to pack it away and then VR in a hotel room.

Comfort wise it's arguably not as comfortable as the rift and psvr. I don't have a problem with it but some people have taken to doing counter weight mods to apply some weight to the back. There's also alternative straps but I've not tried many (and I think you lose the built in audio).

Speaking of audio, it's ok but not as strong as the rift (but better than the Rift S). It's fine for most games but if you're having a big beat saber session you'd want headphones.

About Virtual Desktop, it works and some people will claim it feels like almost native VR. It depends how sensitive you are to latency. With a 5ghz router and an ethernet connection to pc it CAN work quite well. There is perceivable lag though, I believe due to technical limitations on decoding the stream it's practically impossible to reduce it to before 40ms. This is low enough to play most games, I had a pretty long Gorn session and forgot I was streaming the game. However visually compression can be an issue, for something cartoony like Gorn it works well and the image appears clean. When I tried to pay arizona sunshine the compression was much more obvious and despite the wire I much preferred to play it in my Rift.

In general if you don't have a pc or PS4 it's the headset you should get (unless you think you're going to be super in to VR and money isn't an option, then maybe buy a new pc and a rift s or index). Even if you have a PS4 I'd still argue there's a definite case for it being the better buy, the PSVR struggles with room scale which is one of my favourite uses of VR.

So yeah tldr; buy the Quest, it's awesome and has awesome games.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Ooh, I didn't realize they'd gotten that to work. That makes me way more interested in picking one up for stuff like vacations and parties.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I do have a pretty decent PC to use. I've heard a little about the Quest, but not sure if the portability would be better for me than graphics or performance. I probably wouldn't take it anywhere, and it will most likely stay at home.

If the Quest is cheaper and has similar performance/graphics as other models, it might still be a viable option for me. I wouldn't mind having the option to play it in a different room from my computer or something if necessary.

I can speak to the Quest, it's an amazing piece of hardware with a pretty brilliant software library especially given its age (I.e a few months old).

In terms of comparisons, I've A Rift with three sensors and a PSVR. The tracking is better than the PSVR and in most cases as good as the Rift, especially following the latest update. There is the occasional glitch, but that's also true of my rift set up.

Graphics wise, yep, it's running a mobile gpu but what it can do is pretty great. Superhot looked arguably better than it did on the rift and psvr (better optics in the headset, rendering wise its probably identical), I Expect You To Die looks identical and Beat Saber is missing a couple of transparency effects on the walls but otherwise looks the same.

Some games can look a little rough, Robo Recall has certainly had a graphical downgrade but it's still pretty impressive given what it's running on, and most importantly the core gameplay is identical.

Wireless is just brilliant, going back to a wire with my rift feels restrictive. Also I travel a lot so its great to be able to pack it away and then VR in a hotel room.

Comfort wise it's arguably not as comfortable as the rift and psvr. I don't have a problem with it but some people have taken to doing counter weight mods to apply some weight to the back. There's also alternative straps but I've not tried many (and I think you lose the built in audio).

Speaking of audio, it's ok but not as strong as the rift (but better than the Rift S). It's fine for most games but if you're having a big beat saber session you'd want headphones.

About Virtual Desktop, it works and some people will claim it feels like almost native VR. It depends how sensitive you are to latency. With a 5ghz router and an ethernet connection to pc it CAN work quite well. There is perceivable lag though, I believe due to technical limitations on decoding the stream it's practically impossible to reduce it to before 40ms. This is low enough to play most games, I had a pretty long Gorn session and forgot I was streaming the game. However visually compression can be an issue, for something cartoony like Gorn it works well and the image appears clean. When I tried to pay arizona sunshine the compression was much more obvious and despite the wire I much preferred to play it in my Rift.

In general if you don't have a pc or PS4 it's the headset you should get (unless you think you're going to be super in to VR and money isn't an option, then maybe buy a new pc and a rift s or index). Even if you have a PS4 I'd still argue there's a definite case for it being the better buy, the PSVR struggles with room scale which is one of my favourite uses of VR.

So yeah tldr; buy the Quest, it's awesome and has awesome games.

I also own a Quest, and agree with all of this 100%. If anything, Grinch is underselling it a bit. I cannot overstate how amazing the un-tethered nature of this headset is. It's not just that it's wireless. You can get wireless solutions for the Vive and other headsets after all. It's that it's truly completely mobile. You don't need a PC or sensors or a separate console... the only thing you need for an actual room-scale experience is the headset itself and the controllers. And not just room-scale, but room-scale anywhere you want to use it. In your house, in a hotel, outside on the lawn, in your garage, at work. Any place you have enough space, you can use this thing.

And the games are real VR experiences, not stripped-down versions like what some of the stuff on the Go or other mobile headsets provide. It really is a remarkable little piece of kit, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    I was thinking of waiting and seeing if there was a Black Friday deal or something...

Steam profile
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I was thinking of waiting and seeing if there was a Black Friday deal or something...

For the Quest? It's possible, but I'm not sure I'd count on it. Supposedly Facebook is selling them as fast as they can make them. They don't need to goose demand at all by offering a sale. But who knows, VR has historically rotted on retail shelves, maybe demand will fall off around Christmas season, and they'll feel motivated to get it back into people's consumer consciousness.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm a bit depressed that the Index is 1) completely unavailable and 2) even if it was, for some stupid reason unavailable to (easily...) acquire in Canada.

Anyone have recommendations for a top-end PC VR system other than the Index? I was hoping to try out NMS VR, but I don't want to settle for a sub-par VR headset.

I guess I can kind of see not shipping it overseas, but why leave our northern brothers out in the cold? Seems an odd decision. Maybe they are limiting the market until they can better meet the demand? Just a guess, as I have no idea what their actual reasons are

This discussion has been closed.