As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's all just semantics for the same thing, but "ST" or "Second Tank" sounds better to me than Off-Tank or "OT." For some reason Off-Tank has this negative connotation of being lesser.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Because it is the lesser tank. All OTs should know their shame :-p.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I'm not sure i am communicating properly. I enjoy crafting.

Bruh, you just made like 5 posts that primarily complained at length about how you dislike crafting.

Imagine doing this for any other game.
    "I don't get why I have to marry in Harvest Moon to be successful. Why can't I just plant and harvest crops? I like that part of it. But not the animal husbandry. Like why do I have to go through the rigamarole of wooing someone and then proposing, and then the game doesn't even tell you how to do it. And basically all of the story past the intro is wrapped up in the relationships, and it seems like almost every in game holiday is just an opportunity to do more of that...Oh but don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game."

Of course people are going to think you dislike FF14, you sound like you're ready to throw it in the trash at any moment. But I notice you keep playing, and I see you insisting every once and awhile that you do in fact enjoy the game. So if you don't want people to make that assumption, maybe try including more positive sounding criticism in your posts.

Like instead of saying "I hate how crafting makes you do every part of the game", you could say "I wish crafters were more independent to make solo play more viable".

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    please let's not go down the road of debating someone's tone

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    can tell it's a Japanese meme since USA always has to cut corners and has a tank eat the first three tethers.

Tagged as "NIN who gets the tether despite moving nearly out of melee range stacked south"

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Since we were talking about crafting earlier. It turns out that if you have two crafting professions that share certain items, notably blacksmith and armorsmith, you can in fact make the overlapping collectables on one job and turn in on the other. Blacksmith went from being a total drag to level in HW to one of the easiest when the titanium nugget collectable pops.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Guess who ran tam-tara deepcroft 42 times today?

*Sobbing* It was me and it was so boring.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The meaning of life was Tam-tara deepcroft all along.
    Who knew?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Why do they make you run three dungeons in a row for the msq at such a low level?

Way to trigger that social anxiety.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Remember crafting in 1.0? Ooh boy, better get to be best friends with other players who are in other professions if you want to get anywhere. 💦

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Remember crafting in 1.0? Ooh boy, better get to be best friends with other players who are in other professions if you want to get anywhere. 💦

You also needed player crafters to repair your gear, with different specific items required for different levels/types of gear. What a clusterfuck.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Clusterfuck is an apt description of 1.0.
    I am amazed that people kept playing it until they pulled the plug.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    why would you do that

I'm doing the ARR Relic for my dragoon as a side project when i can't think of anything better to do.

This Trolley mission in Shadowbringers is a really well written side story. It has compelling new characters, a bit of tragedy, and some character growth to it. As a stand-alone short story it is quite great.

But man. It has really killed the momentum of the MSQ. I am so ready to be done with this.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I found the trolley portion to be the weakest part of ShB.

Especially later on when:
    You are able to create a giant Talos to reach All that effort to get a regular ole Talos working is thrown out the window.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I always felt like Ysale and Estinien were this close to having angry sex.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

You are able to create a giant Talos to reach All that effort to get a regular ole Talos working is thrown out the window.
    I actually love this immediate shift in scope

it presents a stark contast between a smaller task being incredibly difficult for the small team and a massive task coming together smoothly once all of norvrant are united as one

and as an extra bonus it ties into the whole expansion's overarching theme of how one should never try to bear their burdens alone

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    They're showing off a new mount at fanfest.

jk65ufsd5kf31.jpg

I needs it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Oh god the trolley section... fuck everything about that burning trash-fire.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I feel like no matter what content it is, if it's in the "eleventh hour" of the game, barring my way to the end or what I think is the end, I will get impatient.

For HW, it was
    Azys Lla

Stormblood
    Azim Steppe

Shadowbringers
    Mt. Gulg and the ocean floor/Amaurot

Not that I dislike those places, but I move through them quicker and tend to skip unnecessary side quests.

those are some weird picks, tbh

you've just listed what is widely considered the most interesting area in each expansion

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    trolley section liker reporting in
    also a fan of jokes about the trolley problem
    and riding trolleys

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

you've just listed what is widely considered the most interesting area in each expansion

Yeah, pretty much. Like, Il Mheg was probably my favorite, but I'd say that zone was most interesting in ShB, just cause of the lore stuff.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

I didn't really pick them though. It's just that they're right before the end, so I just move through them faster. I really like 2 out of the 4 areas I listed.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    With the trolley
    It actually maps onto the trolley tracks in western thanlan, this was confirmed in the last live letter.

This means we meet Minfillia at the end of the tracks, which in terms of first locations compared to source locations means that the entire sequence

Was to return to the the waking sands to talk to minfillia

• drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular

I kind of like it. I see what they were going for but I feel that WoW basically established what a theme park MMO should be, killed the kind of game they wanted to make.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I kind of like it. I see what they were going for but I feel that WoW basically established what a theme park MMO should be, killed the kind of game they wanted to make.

Yes. That's why 1.0 was a bad game. WoW poisoned people's minds into not enjoying it. That must be it.

BahamutZERO.gif

Yes. That's why 1.0 was a bad game. WoW poisoned people's minds into not enjoying it. That must be it.

That's kind of overly stretching what I was alluding too tho. 1.0 was neat that players had to be more reliant on each other then other games out there. I only bring up WoW, because it's completely true on how it basically set a standard on how any MMO experience is expected to be. It didn't poison anyone's minds, it was just not the experience that people expected from a big name MMO.

Like it took forever for there to be a simple volume slider for the ambient sounds in the game. I don't even think they added in the option to lower the sounds of footsteps at all by the time they brought the servers down before 2.0.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    1.0 was real bad. Real, real bad.

No quests.
    A very small limit to the number of Levequests you could do in a day.
    Diminishing XP returns for grinding mobs.
    Incredibly dull zone designs that were built by algorithm.
    A terrible UI.
    Horrendous performance. Either Nvidia or Radeon cards straight up didn't work with the game too at launch.
    Dull combat, no jumping.

In the NoClip documentary on the failure and rise of FFXIV they interview the good folks at SE who worked on the game. Koji Fox mentions how the first people to realize the game was trash were the QA team and Localization teams. As I recall his reaction was, "Oooh nooo."

The biggest problem with 1.0's development was that when it was being designed there was no communication between the different teams. Everyone was doing their own thing the way they wanted and there was no singular vision.

The game was so bad that SE issued numerous apologies and Koji Fox had to step in to tell them to stop doing that because unlike in Japan apologizing over and over in the West makes you seem more insincere. He laughed when talking about how he had kind of a hard time trying to explain that concept to them.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I absolutely hated Azim Steppe. So much so I quit playing SB for like 3 months...and it never really recovered for me. I barely played in two years and cursed every time I had to go back to that zone.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    Azim Steppe was where you met Hien tho. And Hien was the best part of that expansion.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

Except that the trolley arc didn't have
    the heir to the company that made every single one of those Talos. So it's not that big of a surprise that he was able to come up with the plan for the giga-Talos. He and his wife were free citizens of Eulmore for a very good reason.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I admit that

ShB spoilers like around 76? I was lv 80 by then so I'm guesstimating a lot!
    Mt. Gulg REALLY killed my momentum

but I was pleasantly surprised by (final two areas)
    how all of a sudden I was doing Sidequests on Amaurot! I mean holy shit that place is SUPER interesting and I just wanted to find all the lore I could. Again kudos to the writing team because I agree, at that point I'm usually rush rush rush I need to see how this ends and I was DONT END WE NEED TO KNOW MORE!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Frankly I could happily see jumping in MMOs die in a fire.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sorry for the delay in copying over the first post, at the end of an 80 hour work week.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Azim steppes rules so hard tho

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Azim steppes rules so hard tho

Seriously, it might be the best zone in the whole xpac? You got a great self contained story, a bunch of interesting tribes/cultures, and some of the best characters in the xpac, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited August 2019
    Grove wrote: »
    I absolutely hated Azim Steppe. So much so I quit playing SB for like 3 months...and it never really recovered for me. I barely played in two years and cursed every time I had to go back to that zone.
    For me, Azim Steppe was great right up until i had to go deal with the misogynist duo at the dawn throne.
    Like, sure, story needs antagonists i guess, but why add the sexism and sneering assholery?
    And once i was done with them Azim Steppe was ok, except for the bad taste those two and their sneering henchman left in my mouth.
    That said, Azim Steppe does contain the Namazu, who are hilarious.

Nyysjan on
    R-dem wrote: »
    Frankly I could happily see jumping in MMOs die in a fire.

I couldn't. It just feels good to jump around and any game where I can't feels unnatural to me.

This discussion has been closed.