As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] An Annihilator shot this thread straight through. [CLOSED]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The C4 is what most people look at for an MRM Catapult, it has double the cooldown and heat quirks of the Jagermech -A

If you want to mix and match, the -C1 is probably better. No heat quirks, but the cooldown quirk is still better and it has side torso laser mounts (C4 only has two CT mounts) as well as a minor laser duration quirk.

Nobody on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't the Catapult C4 be the best for missile and laser builds? Nav Alpha is showing a 20% cooldown for missiles plus energy cooldown and duration quirks. Plus it is now the size of a Jenner.

Hmm, thinking about that I should look at one. Hahahahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I would not want to drive a MRM catapult.
    "Hey, lets put all of our big guns in these huge bunny-ear boxes that have barely any hitpoints"

The good Catapults are the ones that put most of their firepower in the torso. I'm not a huge fan of the Jager (because of the barndoor-sized torso and low-slung cockpit), but at least its more likely to retain its firepower efter the first engagement.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The C4 only has two energy hard points, both in the CT. You could only fit one LL on it.
    "Hey, lets put all of our big guns in these huge bunny-ear boxes that have barely any hitpoints"

The good Catapults are the ones that put most of their firepower in the torso. I'm not a huge fan of the Jager (because of the barndoor-sized torso and low-slung cockpit), but at least its more likely to retain its firepower efter the first engagement.

I've run a couple of C4 builds, including MRMs, my favorite has been 4xASRM-6 and 2xML

EDIT: LOL, Baradul just literally posted my build in his video

https://youtu.be/Mewk_phDDZY

Nobody on

Honestly the Catapult is better at that than the Archer with the bunny ears torsos whenever it fires. Even with this barns on the outside.
    Nobody wrote: »
    The C4 only has two energy hard points, both in the CT. You could only fit one LL on it.

I've run a couple of C4 builds, including MRMs, my favorite has been 4xASRM-6 and 2xML

EDIT: LOL, Baradul just literally posted my build in his video

https://youtu.be/Mewk_phDDZY

Yeah, wait... The splat cat is much better with 6 SRM6s. Although you lose the Art... So could go 6ASRM4s?

Also I forgot the C4's energy is in the CT. No wonder I never bought it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    K2 ride or die club right here.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I love the K2 in the Battletech game. I get a ML in each arm, a LL in each ST, and a pair of SLs in the CT. Plus you can give it jump again.

It's a really good laser boat.
    Tox wrote: »

Where's the easiest place to view/compare quirks right now, outside the game? Wanna see how that compares to the ol' Catapult.

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/

I don't see where on there I can see the quirks

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I love the K2 in the Battletech game. I get a ML in each arm, a LL in each ST, and a pair of SLs in the CT. Plus you can give it jump again.

It's a really good laser boat.

Where's the easiest place to view/compare quirks right now, outside the game? Wanna see how that compares to the ol' Catapult.

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/

I don't see where on there I can see the quirks

If you open the drop-downs for chassis, mousing over the variants will create a pop-up window show up. That'll list the quirks.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    There is also window on the bottom left that lets you filter mechs with a certain quirk.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Oh okay yeah I'm on mobile so that's what it is

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    HBS BATTLETECH news flash: 8 pieces salvage is pretty grindy!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have it at 4 with the panic ejection, and I JUST got my first medium (a wolverine!) like, 10 hours into the career.
    I can't imagine grinding for 8.

BT Extetended doesnt help with it's zillion new mechs and variants.

website_header.jpg
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I have it at 4 with the panic ejection, and I JUST got my first medium (a wolverine!) like, 10 hours into the career.
    I can't imagine grinding for 8.

BT Extetended doesnt help with it's zillion new mechs and variants.

There's an Argo upgrade that lets you combine different variants of the same mech into one mech, but I think it requires the third habitat module and third mech bay. Also it scales the mech salvage you get by the pieces required so if you destroy only the head (or force a pilot to punch out) you get as many pieces as your salvage requirement. At that point the biggest bottleneck will obviously be the limited amount of priority salvage you can get.

Or you can go full cash and buy completed mechs from well-stocked stores, that works too.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm working a theory on the base campaign. Going to try to go full salvage and sell the scrap instead of taking the cash. This goes along with my theory about level of resistance based on level of scrap negotiated. At the least, I think I can break even funds-wise

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Lance update:

I swapped out the Blackjack for a Wolverine as a secondary brawler. I'm still working out the right amount of SRMs on it since I ran out during one mission, but it wasn't the end of the world.

I also swapped out the Vindicator for a second Centurion as my other longer range support (PPC + LRMs).

Both are working out well so far. I still haven't stumbled upon any cockpit or arm/leg upgrades yet, so I'm not sure how far into the game I have to get before that happens.

There's also a kickass pilot available in the Hiring area, but I need to grind rep to get them. Do I need to stay in-system or will that pilot still be available if I jump away for contracts/rep, then jump back?

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I swapped out the Blackjack for a Wolverine as a secondary brawler. I'm still working out the right amount of SRMs on it since I ran out during one mission, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Being able to fire a full alpha 10 times is my absolute minimum (base defense missions are 10 rounds for example) but I prefer 12 or so salvos. Even that might not be enough for attack & defend mission type or some rougher battles/assassinations. Smaller numbers are fine for stuff like MGs where running out of ammo won't shut down your whole mech. LRM boats on the other hand need a good supply since they are constantly firing and usually never waste a turn on sprinting or cooling down.

YMMV - I've noticed that lately when I've been just skipping unoptimal firing solutions and sprinted or braced instead of wasting missiles and heat on futile attacks from the front I've been spending less ammo. I could possibly reduce the amount I carry on some of my builds, but running out of SRMs just cripples my mechs so I prefer to be safe more than being sorry.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    There's also a kickass pilot available in the Hiring area, but I need to grind rep to get them. Do I need to stay in-system or will that pilot still be available if I jump away for contracts/rep, then jump back?

It's been a long time since I've had a need to check, but I believe the hiring hall rerolls when you enter a system. And unless you're right on the edge, I doubt a single system will have enough contracts to bump your MRB level.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The latest Battletech tabletop kickstarter, "Clan Invasion" is in its final week. It's been going great guns so far, and lots of extras have been added through stretch goals. For those of you not tracking it already on your own or in the TT thread, they've just announced the $2,000,000 stretch goals, and they include a free UrbanMech figure for all backers - even at the $1 level.

So whether you are a tabletop player or not, if the idea of a $1 UrbanMech figure appeals to you, there's time to get in on it. :)

EDIT: Apologies. I confirmed $1 level before posting, but since then Catalyst has come to their senses and made it backers who spend $20 and up (either through pledge level of $1 level plus addons. The Beginner's Box you get w/ a $20 pledge has minis of the Griffin and Wolverine. So your free Urbie would be in addition to those. Or you could do a $1 pledge, add one $20 box of 4 IS mechs like the Marauder, Valkyrie, Archer, Stinger lance, and get a free Urbie on top of that.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    The reseen Warhammer cover art makes me sad. The Warhammer will always be a Destroid Tomahawk to me.

5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2019
    Iolo wrote: »
    The latest Battletech tabletop kickstarter, "Clan Invasion" is in its final week. It's been going great guns so far, and lots of extras have been added through stretch goals. For those of you not tracking it already on your own or in the TT thread, they've just announced the $2,000,000 stretch goals, and they include a free UrbanMech figure for all backers - even at the $1 level.

So whether you are a tabletop player or not, if the idea of a $1 UrbanMech figure appeals to you, there's time to get in on it. :)

Need to update. It takes $20 to get an Urbie figure. But you get the Beginner's Box set which is so worth it!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Syngyne wrote: »
    The reseen Warhammer cover art makes me sad. The Warhammer will always be a Destroid Tomahawk to me.

Cover art to which product? Combat Manual: Mercenaries is the only cover using it IIRC.

And the new Classic Warhammer art is leaps and bounds better looking than the fugly Robotech art it was originally sourced from, and I'll fight anybody that disagrees.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    And yet Battletech fails in its theft, since I don't believe the Destroid Monster was ever adapted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfpxki_7ocE

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    And yet Battletech fails in its theft, since I don't believe the Destroid Monster was ever adapted.

Wasn't that what the Stone Rhino was based off of? I mean, it's a much, much looser interpretation than the other Unseen, but I had heard it was designed to be as close to the Monster as you could get in BT without breaking the construction rules (or introducing super heavy mechs decades early).

Edit, in particular, the Stone Rhino 5 spec
    Stone Rhino 5
    A design based off of early specifications for Amaris's Folly, the Stone Rhino 5 uses a 400XL engine to reach speeds up up to 64.8kph. It is armed with four LB-5X Autocannons mounted in the torsos backed up by six ER Medium Lasers in the arms. BV (2.0) 2,157

see317 on
    see317 wrote: »

Wasn't that what the Stone Rhino was based off of? I mean, it's a much, much looser interpretation than the other Unseen, but I had heard it was designed to be as close to the Monster as you could get in BT without breaking the construction rules (or introducing super heavy mechs decades early).

This is correct.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

This is correct.

I always wonder about that story, because on one hand the original TRO variant didn't look that much like the Macross art (CAV has a ton of random mechs that look way more like a Warhammer than the Behemoth looks like the Monster), but on the other hand they didn't do a great job of fitting it in the BattleTech construction rules, either, what with that "small pulse laser". The -5 is certainly based on the original design, but I think that came years later.

This is correct.

I looked up that model and I have to say I think the King Crab is probably closer to the concept of a Monster than... whatever that is.

Orogogus wrote: »

This is correct.

I always wonder about that story, because on one hand the original TRO variant didn't look that much like the Macross art (CAV has a ton of random mechs that look way more like a Warhammer than the Behemoth looks like the Monster), but on the other hand they didn't do a great job of fitting it in the BattleTech construction rules, either, what with that "small pulse laser". The -5 is certainly based on the original design, but I think that came years later.

In my opinion the art does not have a single shared feature to make the comparison if you hadn't already been told it was inspired by the Monster or unless you specifically went looking to try and match up anything at all to other stuff in the Robotech/Macross universe regardless of how close in appearance it was. The Stone Rhino only got labeled Unseen because FASA flagged all art assets not made in-house that way to try to avoid further legal issues, not because of a specific copyright claim.

This is correct.

I looked up that model and I have to say I think the King Crab is probably closer to the concept of a Monster than... whatever that is.

Yeah, the Stone Rhino always looked more like a morbidly obese Marauder than it did the Monster.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This is correct.

Combine the Omega with the Blood Asp's arm mounts. Bam! Kitbashed Monster in a 150t package.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular

This is correct.

In the earliest runs of Battletech/Battledroid minis, there was a Behemoth mini that was closer to the Monster that had 4-gun turret and the arms and much longer legs. I had that mini but sold it around 20 years back. That mini was kind if a mess - very top heavy and never stayed together despite pinning the arms.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2019
    ironsizide wrote: »

This is correct.

In the earliest runs of Battletech/Battledroid minis, there was a Behemoth mini that was closer to the Monster that had 4-gun turret and the arms and much longer legs. I had that mini but sold it around 20 years back. That mini was kind if a mess - very top heavy and never stayed together despite pinning the arms.

Ah yes, this handsome fellow.

behemoth.jpg

There's actually a small circle of fans that likes the potential of the design so much, they've created BT stats for it and commissioned revised sculpts by an independent sculptor and manufacturer. Usually it goes by the name, Cronus, Odin, or Almighty, but this is what the most recent sculpt looks like:

MECH-101.jpg

Nips on
    Oh man, both of those are crazy... and ugly. The first one more than the second. The newer one looks like Kylo Ren's shuttle got limbs and cannons instead of wings.

Think this is one of those that the Macross version was so much better.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I give them credit for trying, but let's stick with the King Crab. :P

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh man, both of those are crazy... and ugly. The first one more than the second. The newer one looks like Kylo Ren's shuttle got limbs and cannons instead of wings.

Think this is one of those that the Macross version was so much better.

Insane as it is, there's a pretty good level of consistency between the design work of Kawamori (the original VF designer), Okawara (thought of as the original "realistic mecha" designer, who worked on MS Gundam), and Miyatake (who apparently designed all the Destroids) in regards to their combined work for the Macross franchise. Even strange outliers tend to look relatively consistent (basically, everything used by the U.N. Spacy)--and obviously, Zentradi and various alien designs needed to look, well, alien. I think that's worked well for Destroid and Destroid Monster, etc.--the original Destroids in particular are very clearly intended to be non-flying up-armored versions of the VF, treated as mobile turrets and tanks.

It generally doesn't work as well in Battletech where they're next to a huge number of designs, only so many of which were...acquired...from Macross (or Robotech), and otherwise come from a lot of different designers (I think). Similarly, I think there's a reason a lot of BT tends to pretend that the flying convertible light 'Mech isn't a thing anymore, but I'm not sure.

behemoth.jpg

Interesting, I was only aware of the mini that looks exactly like the 3055 cover art. But I am curious how they managed to screw up the design that badly. This is the equivalent of one of those 15th century drawings of elephants by people who had never actually seen one.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

behemoth.jpg

Interesting, I was only aware of the mini that looks exactly like the 3055 cover art. But I am curious how they managed to screw up the design that badly. This is the equivalent of one of those 15th century drawings of elephants by people who had never actually seen one.

Someone described it to them in a memo or a phone call: "It's an assault mech with two weapons racks for arms, a forward cockpit, and a battleship turret on the top."

"OK, Sounds clear enough. And it's not like anyone in our audience has ever heard of Macross anyway."

Synthesis wrote: »

behemoth.jpg

Someone described it to them in a memo or a phone call: "It's an assault mech with two weapons racks for arms, a forward cockpit, and a battleship turret on the top."

"OK, Sounds clear enough. And it's not like anyone in our audience has ever heard of Macross anyway."

I would have guessed that it's a kitbash from other minis, since none of the pieces really look like they're meant to go together.
    Like, the arms pods are pretty detailed, have some good lining/detail work on the sides that we can see. Some deep, straight grooves, little sci-fi dots on the inside that seem lined up pretty well.
    But the legs are pretty much just tubes with some minor embellishments added to imply that the designer had heard of knees at some point and thought they might be neat to try out.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Speaking of the 3055 technical readout, I was reading through that today (whoops, actually the 3055 upgrade) and man...there are so many cool as shit mechs in there. Except the Thunder, that thing is just plain ole butt ugly.
    619px-8vvhutiyde0srlwa6swycjnusbl2pf8.png?timestamp=20110119174702

Dark_Side on
    Speaking of the 3055 technical readout, I was reading through that today (whoops, actually the 3055 upgrade) and man...there are so many cool as shit mechs in there. Except the Thunder, that thing is just plain ole butt ugly.
    619px-8vvhutiyde0srlwa6swycjnusbl2pf8.png?timestamp=20110119174702

I was just thinking about this mech earlier. It's ugly, but in the fun way! Plus it's an AC/20, so, like, say it to its face, ya know?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Thunder could look cool with MWO's redesign sensibilities

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg