As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Jim Davis is good, I can't begrudge a man for running Garfield like the company it is, plus he's pretty easy going when it comes to parodies of his work and stuff like that...

Yeah - he worked with the guy behind Garfield without Garfield, turning it into an official book ((with credit to the creator.)
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I will say that the story of Davis putting a stake through the heart of the anti-drug special Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue does make me smile.

Oh my god I've got to hear this.

Basically, it's a story of making sure you're talking to the right person when you're getting licenses, as well as "don't think that just because you're making a PSA means you're off the hook." When the team behind the PSA went to get the licenses for the various SatAM characters used in it, they only went to the production studios, because "we're doing a good thing, everyone will be on board." This is forgetting that Davis built Garfield as a merchandising empire, and thus took licensing very seriously. Needless to say, when he found out about the PSA being done without his permission, he was not happy about this, and started threatening lawsuits over the matter. Which is why it only aired once.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Classic garf

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Everything I hear about Jim Davis sounds like he goes right up to the line of almost-but-not-quite asshole.

Like, Garfield was created specifically to make him tons of money, which it has, but he doesn't seem to do it in a particularly malicious way at the expense of others. Or at least, only at the expense of those going in with both eyes open.

steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Lasagna vs Chili Dogs.

Also, I always found the Silent Garfield parodies funnier than Garfield minus Garfield.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks like Addams Family is going to be like every other adequate but not really good kids' movies.

https://youtu.be/xFCrR3Uw6Mk

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You're not topping Raul Julia and Angelica Huston anyway.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Viskod wrote: »
    You're not topping Raul Julia and Angelica Huston anyway.

or Tag Team's Whoomp for that matter.

DanHibiki on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jim Davis is good, I can't begrudge a man for running Garfield like the company it is, plus he's pretty easy going when it comes to parodies of his work and stuff like that...

Yeah - he worked with the guy behind Garfield without Garfield, turning it into an official book ((with credit to the creator.)
    I will say that the story of Davis putting a stake through the heart of the anti-drug special Cartoon All-Stars To The Rescue does make me smile.

Basically, it's a story of making sure you're talking to the right person when you're getting licenses, as well as "don't think that just because you're making a PSA means you're off the hook." When the team behind the PSA went to get the licenses for the various SatAM characters used in it, they only went to the production studios, because "we're doing a good thing, everyone will be on board." This is forgetting that Davis built Garfield as a merchandising empire, and thus took licensing very seriously. Needless to say, when he found out about the PSA being done without his permission, he was not happy about this, and started threatening lawsuits over the matter. Which is why it only aired once.

Gafrielddminusgarfield is great, but only works for people who've read the original strips.

The younger people at work only have a passing familiarity with the property from the cartoon series/movies/osmosis and are mostly confused by the extremly depressing comics I show them.

tumblr_pgren59OSj1qz8z2ro1_500.png

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Gafrielddminusgarfield is great, but only works for people who've read the original strips.

The younger people at work only have a passing familiarity with the property from the cartoon series/movies/osmosis and are mostly confused by the extremly depressing comics I show them.

tumblr_pgren59OSj1qz8z2ro1_500.png

You absolutely do not need to read the originals the enjoy garfieldminusgarfield. Reference: me, a person who never read Garfield, but greatly enjoys the nihilist depression of g-g.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Wasn't that OK KO Sonic episode amazing?
    Can you not wait to see what else the show does?

Too bad.

It's cancelled.

Season 3 will be their last season and at the very least they were told soon enough that they could write an ending.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Looking forward to OK KO GO.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Looking forward to OK KO GO.

Can't wait for the OK KO GO OK KO crossover movie. That shits going to be hype.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Funny last year OK KO had a special crossover special called "Crossover Nexus" where they had cameos from a lot of Cartoon Network shows old and new. Even Symbionic Titan was referenced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFW-2q6_dlc

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    OMG THEY REFERENCED ROBOT JONES IN THAT EPISODE.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    OMG THEY REFERENCED ROBOT JONES IN THAT EPISODE.

Huh.... Whatever happened to Robot Jones, anyway?

So Rocko's Modern Life is out.

I won't spoil the specifics but it has a very progressive represention element.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

It's been spoiled here, I think, but yeah.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Infinity Train was nice.
    I like the concept of this vast, unfathomable eldritch entity traveling across the cosmos and dragging various hapless unwitting humans into its influence, in order to ultimately help them deal with their emotional issues and become stronger and happier people.

It would be nice if more unknowable Lovecraftian god-monsters were like that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Infinity Train was nice.
    I like the concept of this vast, unfathomable eldritch entity traveling across the cosmos and dragging various hapless unwitting humans into its influence, in order to ultimately help them deal with their emotional issues and become stronger and happier people.

Was honestly surprised she has no reflection now....or maybe she's still on the train! OooOoooOooooo Season TwoooOoOoooo.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Wasn't that OK KO Sonic episode amazing?
    Can you not wait to see what else the show does?

Too bad.

It's cancelled.

Season 3 will be their last season and at the very least they were told soon enough that they could write an ending.

I think 3 seasons is a pretty solid run. The show always seemed like it's name. Ok.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Infinity Train was nice.

Was honestly surprised she has no reflection now....or maybe she's still on the train! OooOoooOooooo Season TwoooOoOoooo.
    That train has left its mark! If the show does return as the teaser suggests, I imagine it will follow other passengers.

H9f4bVe.png

Is it just my algorithms, or did Netflix bury that thing? Usually Netflix isn't shy about pushing the crap out of its new shows but I wasn't able to find Rocko until I did a keyword search.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh it did. I didn't even know it was out until I heard about it in a tweet and searched for it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Weird. You'd think Netflix would want to maximize the return on their investment, but maybe that investment was like a buck fifty or something. Or maybe Netflix was mostly interested in Zim.

So, Super Hero Girls is exceptionally My Little Pony so far. Just with slightly more violence and age-based stereotypes.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mao Mao continues to be real goodness, with slightly uneven episode quality but a really high floor. A perfect central trio.

Watching Infinity Train and heavens to murgatroid is this cooler and darker than I expected.

Absalon on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Goddamn, everything is coming back, huh?

What, you think they should make new stuff?

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I hope they add some queer characters or make some characters queer.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I liked the Rocko movie, felt very much like an extended episode. Although I can't quite remember if 90s cartoons just had more yelling in general. Heffer and Filbert were screaming at each other for what felt like the whole run time.

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    The Rocko movie was great

Is Netflix going to run a series or is this just a one off?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    The Rocko movie was great

Is Netflix going to run a series or is this just a one off?

Considering this was a castoff from Nick execs who didn't really want to air it, most likely a one-off.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I may need to watch the Zim movie now.

The Zim movie's really, really good. It somehow manages to bring in some real emotion without diluting the Zim formula one bit.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I thought the Rocko movie was pretty good.

I'm halfway through the Zim movie and enjoying the FUCK out of it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I liked the Zim move a lot, very much recaptured what made the show great.

Rocko was alright. The yelling and gross out humor didn't really land all the well with me, and it sort of retread a couple decades of cultural observational humor that's been done before. The Rocko versions of starbucks and iphone and energy drink jokes. And I get why that's there, but... eh. There's good stuff around the main plot line. And the whole show is just weird as fuck.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
This discussion has been closed.