As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Today in NOPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

That Chevy Malibu belongs to the wasps now, friend.

No, it belongs to the fire.

I'm not even joking, burn it. Research it to make sure you can do it safely, get whatever permits you need, set up the camera, and burn it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Those look like hornets so yeah. Fuck them. Also just to add to your nightmares here is the cab of a truck filled almost completely with a nest. I can't find the actually story surrounding it anymore.
    1dngtf5wezh5.jpg

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think I discovered where the dude who designed the aliens in Alien found his inspiration

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Today in NOPE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tGTcAVW0A

That Chevy Malibu belongs to the wasps now, friend.

What the motherfucking FUCK is this

It's the apocalypse. We had a good run, but it's time to pack in the civilization thing.

Not entirely a joke. Global warming makes this kind of thing more likely since it will not necessarily get cold enough to kill off the wasps in the winter in some places so now they can keep just growing the nest.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Probably doesn't need much of a story. Abandon a vehicle somewhere semi-rural with the windows open and bugs will get in.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Where is the gone good?!?!?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Those look like hornets so yeah. Fuck them. Also just to add to your nightmares here is the cab of a truck filled almost completely with a nest. I can't find the actually story surrounding it anymore.
    1dngtf5wezh5.jpg

God that's horrifying. Looks like the picture in a SCP story.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’m reasonably certain this thread is an SCP entry.

The next edition should just be called “Good News: Not Sarcastically, Just Actual Good News”.

But I give it less than a page before it goes sideways all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    Probably doesn't need much of a story. Abandon a vehicle somewhere semi-rural with the windows open and bugs will get in.

That was the original story, IIRC. Car left in a barn for years/decades with the windows open.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Good news: that's not your car filled with wasps.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Good news: that's not your car filled with wasps.

I imagine drivers would be far more polite if there was a one in ten chance that every driver they were an asshole to was in fact a car filled with wasps.

Because those fuckers would follow you, Terminator-style.

• Options
    Where is the gone good?!?!?

They got in there and killed them all I suppose is the only gone right I can think of. I actually have a pretty severe wasp and hornet phobia even though I think they are very fascinating creatures. If I had the space it would be very cool to have a few bee enclosures especially since we are killing them off at such a prodigious rate.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like we should teach wasps to make something useful so they wouldn't get such a bad rap, but I'm certain they would turn the knowledge towards making something like homebrew neurotoxin in which they could bathe, allowing them to kill anything merely by landing on its exposed skin.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I found the very early stage of a paper wasp nest in the seam of my car door, once: just a stem and a single ring of cells, all empty. I'm pretty sure what happened was that a queen started to build and then changed her mind, maybe because I was driving the car every day? I spent the rest of the day jumping every time something brushed my skin.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    I found the very early stage of a paper wasp nest in the seam of my car door, once: just a stem and a single ring of cells, all empty. I'm pretty sure what happened was that a queen started to build and then changed her mind, maybe because I was driving the car every day? I spent the rest of the day jumping every time something brushed my skin.

My brother has arachnophobia pretty bad. One time he was driving with a friend in the car when he saw a spider on his door panel, down near his legs. He jerked both his feet up into his seat and pulled over on the side of the road, letting the car coast to a stop. Then he got out and made his friend drive then the rest of the way.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PROTIP: When fencing stolen goods, don't sell them to the original owner:
    A Chesterfield woman called within days of the storage locker burglary and asked if Apotheosis might want to buy a box of her comics. Encouraged by a store employee, she dropped off the box on Friday for review and left her name and phone number. Casas arrived shortly after she left to see what she had brought. As soon as he saw the box, he knew.

He had written "Cap" on the side, designating it as a box of Captain America comics. Inside, he searched for one particular comic, the third installment of the Captain America Truth series. He had gotten it years ago and knew his copy had a small red mark on the corner.

"Sure enough, there's that book," Casas says. "It's my box."

He called the cops first, and then the woman. She apparently had no idea she was trying to sell the comics back to their rightful owner, so Casas played dumb.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    A Chesterfield woman called within days of the storage locker burglary and asked if Apotheosis might want to buy a box of her comics. Encouraged by a store employee, she dropped off the box on Friday for review and left her name and phone number. Casas arrived shortly after she left to see what she had brought. As soon as he saw the box, he knew.

He had written "Cap" on the side, designating it as a box of Captain America comics. Inside, he searched for one particular comic, the third installment of the Captain America Truth series. He had gotten it years ago and knew his copy had a small red mark on the corner.

He called the cops first, and then the woman. She apparently had no idea she was trying to sell the comics back to their rightful owner, so Casas played dumb.

Seriously? This guy is lucky.
    Still, he was hopeful about seeing his comics again. One summer, his Dodge Caravan was stolen four times, and it was recovered four times, he says. His house had also been burglarized in the past, and he got his stuff back that time, too.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Normal day: Flight delayed because of fog.
    This thread: Flight delayed because of fog in the cabin:
    A foggy sight had passengers on a New York-bound flight concerned this weekend.

That’s because the fog was inside the cabin, CBS2’s Natalie Duddridge reported Tuesday.

A thick layer of mist was captured on cellphone video inside the cabin of Delta Flight 100, alarming passengers who were flying from Jacksonville, Fla., to John F. Kennedy Airport on Sunday night.

• Options
    Hacker tries to Little Bobby Tables the DMV, winds up getting all the parking tickets:
    It's the story of a security researcher known as Droogie, who presented his experience at the recent DEF CON conference in Las Vegas. Droogie decided his new vanity plate should read "NULL." While he did this mainly for the giggles, he told the audience that there was an ulterior motive, as reported by Mashable:
    "I was like, ‘I'm the shit,'" he joked to the crowd. "'I’m gonna be invisible.' Instead, I got all the tickets."

Droogie's hope was that the new plate would exploit California's DMV ticketing system in a similar manner to the classic xkcd "Bobby Tables" cartoon. With any luck, the DMV's ticket database would see "NULL" and consign any of his tickets to the void. Unfortunately, the exact opposite happened.

First, Droogie got a parking ticket, incurred for an actual parking infraction—so much for being invisible. Then, once a particular database of outstanding tickets had associated the license plate NULL with his address, it sent him every other ticket that lacked a real plate. The total came to $12,049 worth of tickets. Droogie told the DEF CON audience that he received little sympathy from either the California DMV or the Los Angeles Police Department, both telling him to just change his plate to something else. That remains something he refuses to do.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    One person vs. multiple faceless uncaring bureaucracies with infrastructure that will be extremely expensive to fix and that they are not motivated to do so. I think he overestimates his chances.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Changing tickets to match his car is super illegal here, can't imagine it's much better in California.

Here's the thing, though: changing the plate won't help, because he cant reregister the car with the tickets out, and since the ticket company went back and changed tickets they'll follow him if he scraps his perfectly good car and buys a new one.

There's been a lot of cases like this, Snopes lists a dozen or so. Either the DMV and police work promptly to fix the issue or they seriously regret it once the lawsuit hits, most of them that went to court were harassment under color of law and all had significant settlements.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    kime wrote: »

Seriously? This guy is lucky.
    Still, he was hopeful about seeing his comics again. One summer, his Dodge Caravan was stolen four times, and it was recovered four times, he says. His house had also been burglarized in the past, and he got his stuff back that time, too.

Nah. Caravans are almost always recovered. Ours was stolen twice and recovered twice, and we had mutlitple neighbors who had theirs stolen and recovered as an example.

The reason is that the locks on them were super easy to turn with a screwdriver. Caravans were ideal for joyriding or getaway vehicle due to their large capacity and ease of theft. They get dumped within a day and recovered within a week. The newer caravans had the locks updated but are probably still high recovery

Getting the home burglary stuff back was lucky. But the caravans always come back

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Changing tickets to match his car is super illegal here, can't imagine it's much better in California.

Here's the thing, though: changing the plate won't help, because he cant reregister the car with the tickets out, and since the ticket company went back and changed tickets they'll follow him if he scraps his perfectly good car and buys a new one.

There's been a lot of cases like this, Snopes lists a dozen or so. Either the DMV and police work promptly to fix the issue or they seriously regret it once the lawsuit hits, most of them that went to court were harassment under color of law and all had significant settlements.

I'm not so sure, he has publicly admitted to picking that plate to work the system. Can't imagine this going his way just because it backfired for him, especially as a solution is easily available to him.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Mc zany wrote: »

I'm not so sure, he has publicly admitted to picking that plate to work the system. Can't imagine this going his way just because it backfired for him, especially as a solution is easily available to him.

Changing your plate to evade tickets is itself illegal (not to mention the collection agency illegally changing them to apply to the VIN number), and likely to fall into that realm of, "resisting arrest is illegal no matter how illegal the arrest was."

Not to mention the altering of the tickets means they will follow him with a new plate or even a new car.

Hevach on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Changing your plate to evade tickets is itself illegal (not to mention the collection agency illegally changing them to apply to the VIN number), and likely to fall into that realm of, "resisting arrest is illegal no matter how illegal the arrest was."

Not to mention the altering of the tickets means they will follow him with a new plate or even a new car.

Your first post is kinda confusing, because you almost seamlessly go from the deep shit he's in for trying to game the system to the shit the DMV/LAPD could be in if they don't eventually fix the problem on their end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Robert Barbour and Andrew Burg were the first two well documented cases of this, both in LA. Barbour won and got thousands of tickets cleared and the rules for recording tickets changed. Misuse of the new rules got Burg targeted, and he won also, after literally years of getting their buts kicked the DMV recalled any plates that could have a similar issue (and in a final victory was required to do so at their own expense).

Worth noting that the rules established because of those cases should prevent this case, because a placeholder should never be used for a license plate, there's a specific reserved word or the last 6 digits of the VIN (the ones that vary by individual car, the rest are related to he model and origin) should be copied so an actual collision is left a one in a million chance resolved by the fact that the conflicting car can't be the same model.

The legal precedent is there in a number of states though, misapplied tickets are not the victim's responsibility, and a state that tries to force the matter is going to have a hard time (Jacksonville and Detroit have both had six figure judgements for trying to collect on tickets in situations like this, and DC has a settlement whose amount doesn't seem to be public).

Hevach on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

He's a white hat hacker. Poking at potential vulnerabilities is his entire thing. Also he was speaking at DEFCON so of course he's gonna be jokey about it

• Options
  • Options
    I'm not sure which is the more groan worthy - the gator down the pants, or the forty turtles in the TMNT backpack:
    The driver of the 2013 Silverado told deputies from the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office that he and Marchan-Le Quire had been trying to collect frogs and snakes from a nearby underpass.

When deputies searched the truck they found 42 striped mud turtles and a softshell turtle in the cartoon character backpack at Marchan-Le Quire's feet.

She pulled the gator from her pants when deputies asked if there was anything else in the truck.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission was called to take over the investigation.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Isn't that an old story that I think we talked about in this thread already?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Reptile smuggling is so commonplace you can just change the names in articles and repost them every few months. A lot of reptiles are popular and legal as pets, but not legal to collect where they're common or need to pass through places where they're illegal to get to legal buyers.

• Options
    This is The One Where There's A Conviction:
    Husseini used the card at nearby shops and was caught on CCTV carrying cans of beer through a branch of Iceland. That footage was used in a Facebook appeal by Blackpool Police and went viral because of his likeness to Ross from Friends and was shared more than 11 million times.
    Yesterday Husseini was convicted by a jury after a two-day trial of one count of theft and four counts of fraud by false representation. As he was sentenced Judge Sara Dodd told him he had an ‘appalling criminal history’ involving 32 convictions for 60 offences and that has been ‘an habitual thief’ since 2008. He travelled across the UK to carry out his crimes and usually took alcohol. Prosecutor Andy Scott said: ‘He is a travelling, wandering, nomadic thief and he is a consistent thief with an affinity to steal alcohol.’

• Options
    NC chocolate shop tries unique promotion to rave response:
    Matthew Shepherd, the owner of Matthew’s Chocolates in Hillsborough, said the group is not an unusual sight in the area.

The people reportedly gather outside the store and wave Confederate flags every Saturday.

“They were calling me names, they’re calling everybody names,” Shepherd told WNCN. “They’re instigating, they’re poking, they’re blocking the sidewalk.”

When the police told him they had no legal ground to stop it, Shepherd decided to make his own counter-statement.

“Burn a rebel flag… get a free chocolate!” the sign in front of the chocolate shop read on July 27.

He said it was just intended as a joke, and the sign was only up for an hour.

The sign brought in so many people who supported the sign, however, that he sold out by the end of the week.

• Options
    Agh, warn us when you're gonna link to Fox

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    A local Fox channel is a lot different tha. Fox News. Just a local news station.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    A local Fox channel is a lot different tha. Fox News. Just a local news station.

It was aggressively fiddling with my browser on this phone with popup "install our app" nonsense

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Ugh, I hate those sites, seeing as I mainly browse from a tablet. Reddit is the worst one that does that, in my opinion.

• Options
    https://gizmodo.com/buttplug-hacker-talks-security-consent-and-why-he-hac-1837252628

Buttplug hacker hacks a buttplug to spread ransomware. That's the joke.

I feel like the IT community did a poor job explaining WHY the Internet of Things was such a fuckawful idea during its infancy, so now the world's stuck with situations like "I can't drink water because my smartbottle got bricked during an update" and "Please don't attempt to lace up your Nike smart sneakers until a patch is available" and "$400 juicers are now paperweights because the servers shut down" are actual things that I didn't make up.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "$400 juicers are now paperweights because the servers shut down" are actual things that I didn't make up.

Wait, what?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Wait

A smart-connected butt plug?

We downloading custom vibe playlists or tracking our wank sessions for analytical optimization??

This discussion has been closed.