As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Their Worstest Hour

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Even if you want Brexit to happen, you still run out and yell about how your opponent is crashing the country into No Deal and how terrible that is.

At the very least.

FFS

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Corbyn does seem like the kind of person who would love for the left to sweep in and be Britain's savior after a no deal Brexit.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    tynic wrote: »
    Is Labour being run by an assortment of panicked voles, leagues out of their depth? In this investigation, we will

Lethargic lemmings

Swimming towards commutopia

Platy on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Is Labour being run by an assortment of panicked voles, leagues out of their depth? In this investigation, we will

Lethargic lemmings

god, if only.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think it’s more that he’s objecting to an election after forcing no deal through, rather than an election in which no deal is something the parties can campaign on before the deadline.

It's this

In principle Johnson could call a snap election, setting a date after 31st October, and dissolve parliament. Thus no-deal is a fait accompli with no opportunity for parliament to intervene

Whether or not this is legal is a current hot topic of debate among constitutional lawyers, the "purdah" convention is supposed to stop governments making significant policy decisions during election campaigns, precisely to restrain governments that don't expect to win an election from doing anything wacky

Johnson can’t just call an election. He’s bound by the Fixed Term Parliament Act as much as everyone else is. If it looks like this is his plan, then there are definitely enough MPs who’d vote against an election to ensure they still have a chance to prevent No Deal.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Javid has been wheeled out on TV telling everyone that the economy contracting for the first time in 7 years is totally normal!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Saw a news interview about no-deal, doing their usual thing of "this person thinks it's horrible, this person thinks it's great, now here's a spokesman to lie to us".
    Thinks it's horrible; a farmer who stands to go out of business in no-deal (did he vote for brexit? Why yes he did)
    Thinks it's great; a guy who invested in warehouses who's doing great business as businesses try to stockpile stuff.
    Spokesman from the DoT had a fixed smile that didn't really manage to hide the oh-god-get-me-out-of-here panic in his eyes, and was unable to even come up with the usual stock reassurances of adequacy. We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success. How do you respond to concerns that food deliveries won't get through? We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success. But will there be chaos at Dover the day after no-deal? We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success.

I think that guy would fail a Turing test.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

Lethargic lemmings

god, if only.
    Jephery wrote: »
    Corbyn does seem like the kind of person who would love for the left to sweep in and be Britain's savior after a no deal Brexit.

That's the fantasy, yes.

• Options
    Hahaha:
    Email slip-up reveals no-deal fishing patrol 'uncertainty'
    There is "a lot of uncertainty" about the UK's capacity to patrol fishing waters after a no-deal Brexit, a memo from a government department mistakenly emailed to the BBC says.

The note reads: "While our public position on this wider issue is already clear and widely communicated, in that post-Brexit we will be an independent coastal state with control of our waters, both policy and MoD have indicated we are not on an overly strong footing to get ahead of the potential claims that could arise from this story.

"At this stage, there is a lot of uncertainty about the sufficiency of enforcement in a no-deal because we have 12 vessels that need to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK."

The memo from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs was discussing media stories.

But ministers said they are confident security will be enforced after Brexit.
    It's cool everyone, they're confident. Hey, maybe they can use Technology to monitor 600,000 km2 of water.

I am wondering about the email being 'mistakenly' sent to the BBC, though. It's either a screw up I'd expect to see from the Depatment of Transport, or someone was freaking out about this and wanted the leak this in the easiest way possible.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Saw a news interview about no-deal, doing their usual thing of "this person thinks it's horrible, this person thinks it's great, now here's a spokesman to lie to us".
    Thinks it's horrible; a farmer who stands to go out of business in no-deal (did he vote for brexit? Why yes he did)
    Thinks it's great; a guy who invested in warehouses who's doing great business as businesses try to stockpile stuff.
    Spokesman from the DoT had a fixed smile that didn't really manage to hide the oh-god-get-me-out-of-here panic in his eyes, and was unable to even come up with the usual stock reassurances of adequacy. We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success. How do you respond to concerns that food deliveries won't get through? We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success. But will there be chaos at Dover the day after no-deal? We're taking all measures to ensure that brexit is a success.

What's frustrating about this, beyond it being the false-balance pattern for literally every interview on brexit, is that they never really follow up on the "how" question. Gove was over here doing a walkaround at one of the ports, issues raised to him get the response "we're working to make brexit a success". No follow up. No "do you have any actual plans to do this?", no "what are the details of those plans?", nothing. One statement and he gets to walk away.

• Options
    altid wrote: »

What's frustrating about this, beyond it being the false-balance pattern for literally every interview on brexit, is that they never really follow up on the "how" question. Gove was over here doing a walkaround at one of the ports, issues raised to him get the response "we're working to make brexit a success". No follow up. No "do you have any actual plans to do this?", no "what are the details of those plans?", nothing. One statement and he gets to walk away.

He got to walk away, but I think if anything they were taking pity on him. This was a local news thing, they were filling time rather than going for a Paxman style obliteration. They were just throwing the softest balls possible, and cringing as he failed to even hit them.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hahaha:
    There is "a lot of uncertainty" about the UK's capacity to patrol fishing waters after a no-deal Brexit, a memo from a government department mistakenly emailed to the BBC says.

The note reads: "While our public position on this wider issue is already clear and widely communicated, in that post-Brexit we will be an independent coastal state with control of our waters, both policy and MoD have indicated we are not on an overly strong footing to get ahead of the potential claims that could arise from this story.

"At this stage, there is a lot of uncertainty about the sufficiency of enforcement in a no-deal because we have 12 vessels that need to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK."

The memo from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs was discussing media stories.

It's cool everyone, they're confident. Hey, maybe they can use Technology to monitor 600,000 km2 of water.

I am wondering about the email being 'mistakenly' sent to the BBC, though. It's either a screw up I'd expect to see from the Depatment of Transport, or someone was freaking out about this and wanted the leak this in the easiest way possible.

That's only 50,000 km2 of water per vessel! I don't see the problem?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Hahaha:

I think it's doable using technology. I would imagine it's fairly straightforward to make some kind of water-car? A moving floating object that can patrol the waters. I'm not sure what that would be called, but I do know you would need a number greater than 12.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Hahaha:

I think it's doable using technology. I would imagine it's fairly straightforward to make some kind of water-car? A moving floating object that can patrol the waters. I'm not sure what that would be called, but I do know you would need a number greater than 12.

I'm sure Grayling knows a guy.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Hahaha:

Sounds expensive though. Be prepared to pay a lot of money.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    We could have literally paid Grayling £1bn to sit on his arse watching Homes Under the Hammer and been £2bn better off.

• Options
    Hahaha:

I imagine we can figure something out using block-chain?

• Options
    Now I think about it they wouldn't even have 12 vessels. One is always in the Falklands to discourage the Argentinians invading and two have to be shadowing oil tankers through the Gulf to stop Iranians nicking them. That's just two commitments off the top of my head.

I'm sure it'll be fine though, just need to stop putting Britain down! Be-Leave! Et cetera ad nasuem.

• Options
    Some encouraging news at last:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/unite-to-remain-candidates-1-6208750
    With the probability of a snap general election this autumn continuing to rise, plans are being put in place to decide the future of 100 seats where a 'Remain Unity' candidate would be put forward by the Greens, Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru.

Nick Cohen, writing for the Spectator, reports that on Thursday it is expected that the Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid Cymru will agree a "non-aggression pact" in 30 constituencies where candidates will run under the "Unite to Remain" ticket, an additional title for each party already agreed by the Electoral Commission.

More seats will be added to the alliance as time goes on.

Independent candidates are also encouraged to join.

No Labour though.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Some encouraging news at last:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/unite-to-remain-candidates-1-6208750
    With the probability of a snap general election this autumn continuing to rise, plans are being put in place to decide the future of 100 seats where a 'Remain Unity' candidate would be put forward by the Greens, Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru.

Nick Cohen, writing for the Spectator, reports that on Thursday it is expected that the Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid Cymru will agree a "non-aggression pact" in 30 constituencies where candidates will run under the "Unite to Remain" ticket, an additional title for each party already agreed by the Electoral Commission.

More seats will be added to the alliance as time goes on.

Independent candidates are also encouraged to join.

No Labour though.

Labour Corbyn is not trustworthy in these matters, so good.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Labour not being included makes things pretty explicit for those who haven’t been paying attention.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »
    Hahaha:

Grayling would probably contract it out to Southern Rail.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    And UKIP has a new leader. As expected, he's a total dickbrain.
    Richard Braine has been elected as the leader of Ukip after taking more than half the vote, a party spokesman has said.

In a ballot of members, the chairman of the party’s west London branch received 53% of the vote – more than double that of his closest rival.

Freddy Vachha was second with 20%, followed by Ben Walker on 14% and former deputy leader Mike Hookem on 13%./quote]

• Options
    Don't worry everyone, we'll soon have a commemorative Brexit 50 pence coin to make everything better:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/sajid-javids-plan-to-flood-tills-with-brexit-50p-coins
    The chancellor, Sajid Javid, is said to be drawing up plans for millions of 50p Brexit coins to be minted in time for Britain’s departure from the EU.

Javid has asked officials to look at whether it will be possible to produce the coins in volume ready for the UK’s scheduled EU leaving date of 31 October, according to the Sunday Telegraph.

Fuck me, this is pathetic.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Should've been 52p to really rub it in.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    In non Brexit policy news, Johnson is all in on law and order

More police, more prison cells, more stop and search

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49309112

• Options
    Don't worry everyone, we'll soon have a commemorative Brexit 50 pence coin to make everything better:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/sajid-javids-plan-to-flood-tills-with-brexit-50p-coins
    The chancellor, Sajid Javid, is said to be drawing up plans for millions of 50p Brexit coins to be minted in time for Britain’s departure from the EU.

Javid has asked officials to look at whether it will be possible to produce the coins in volume ready for the UK’s scheduled EU leaving date of 31 October, according to the Sunday Telegraph.

This is the design they'll be using (with the date updated):
    gjiacub0ky0x.jpg
    'Friendship with all nations', right. The other side presumably says "Now f*ck off".

The prosperity bit would be hard to prove in a court of law, too.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

As usual no great detail is given.

Stop and search is just being reverted back to the legislation that was in place before May changed it.

More police and cells sound fine. However there's no mention of the many other things needed to make it work.

Support staff numbers have been decimated also but I see no mention of those being increased.

The court system is buckling under the strain of budget cuts. What's the use of all these extra police making more arrests if the courts can't process them due to everything not working?

Obviously this will go down well with the voters as it sounds good but in reality, as with everything the Tories touch, it'll be a bunch of shite.

Labour shadow policing minister Lou Haigh has a good breakdown of why these promises are rubbish:

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The Good Law Project's court action (which involves Jolyon Maugham, Joanna Cherry, Gina Miller, et al) to prevent Johnson from proroguing or suspending parliament is going to proceed.

It's worth reading that whole twitter thread, and the petition itself (partly because someone evidently had tremendous fun writing it, digging out 16th and 17th century references), here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtijvkq2tmjxl5u/Petition (as lodged).pdf?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR3H7ojasiBU8gGwlI38U84gbv7C4HSZgsLwYGP5QYv7d9s8GuIceT4xKVo

However the tl;dr: is
    18. The petitioners seek:
    (1) A declarator that it is ultra vires et separatim unconstitutional for any Minister of the
    Crown, including the Prime Minister, with the intention and aim of denying before Exit
    Day any further parliamentary consideration of the withdrawal of the United Kingdom
    from the European Union, to purport to advise the Queen to prorogue the Westminster
    Parliament.
    (2) Interdict against Ministers of the Crown from advising the Queen, with the view or
    intention of denying before Exit Day any further parliamentary consideration of the
    withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union, to prorogue the
    Westminster Parliament and for interdict ad interim.

A couple of quick additional notes:
    - The Court of Session is a constitutional court, in these matters it is not in any sense lower or subsidiary to the Supreme Court, and cannot be overruled by it (as a number of people have been suggesting)
    - Scots Law does not take the same view of the powers of the Crown as the law of England and Wales. E&W law considers that legal authority flows from the Crown, whereas Scots Law takes it as fundamental that the Crown (and the Monarch) are, to some extent, subject to the law and can be validly bound by it

japan on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

As usual no great detail is given.

Stop and search is just being reverted back to the legislation that was in place before May changed it.

More police and cells sound fine. However there's no mention of the many other things needed to make it work.

Support staff numbers have been decimated also but I see no mention of those being increased.

The court system is buckling under the strain of budget cuts. What's the use of all these extra police making more arrests if the courts can't process them due to everything not working?

Obviously this will go down well with the voters as it sounds good but in reality, as with everything the Tories touch, it'll be a bunch of shite.

Labour shadow policing minister Lou Haigh has a good breakdown of why these promises are rubbish:

The conservative playbook again. If it weren't for the fact that most media is corporate owned I'd be more pissed off that no one in the media ever seems to point it out.

Defund services. This causes dysfunction. For most services, the dysfunction is used as an excuse for privatization. For police, they reinvest, but in a way that causes militarization.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

This is the design they'll be using (with the date updated):
    gjiacub0ky0x.jpg
    'Friendship with all nations', right. The other side presumably says "Now f*ck off".

The prosperity bit would be hard to prove in a court of law, too.

Peace, prosperity, and Friendship with all nations.
    These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in leaving the EU.

sig.gif
  • Options
    the party of "law and order", yes.
    the one that's suggesting, "hey, maybe let's just ignore Parliament".

• Options
    edited August 2019
    also:
    there will be adequate coinage.

(and the government tells us that they are "taking all measures to ensure" that there will be things to spend it on.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Gotta have a wheelbarrow full of something to buy a loaf of bread with.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Eh... More police and prisons... Meh.

The tories and conservative parties in general have always been decent with the “law” part, it’s the “order” part they consistently shit the bed at.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    gjiacub0ky0x.jpg
    All animals are equal, but

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    The commemorative coin thing really does make me uncomfortable

I don't know how I intend to deal with it in practice

It is a bit odd that the apparent intention is to commemorate brexit by putting an anti brexit message on a coin, though

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It says with all nations because Great Britain's ties to Europe and the rest of the world are thought of as a zero-sum game

• Options
    "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations," to commemorate that time we violated a peace treaty, crashed our economy, and told 27 of our closest allies to get fucked.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The commemorative coin thing really does make me uncomfortable

I don't know how I intend to deal with it in practice

It is a bit odd that the apparent intention is to commemorate brexit by putting an anti brexit message on a coin, though

I'm hoping that I never get one in my change

Thank god most places take card now

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.