As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - All Trades

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - All Trades

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Nitro Tap sounds like a CCG strat.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I empathize with Gabe. I don't like beer or coffee, no matter how much I really wish I could get in on this cool nerd shit.

I'm sure it's even worse in Seattle. It's like living in Kansas City and not liking barbeque.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It's ok, you can send all the cold brewed nitro stouts to me. I'll take one for the team
    <_<
    >_>

• Options
    R.Z.R.Z. Registered User regular
    Fancy cold coffee ?
    I'd have some, I accidentally discovered I like my coffee cold more than I like it hot.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I empathize with Gabe. I don't like beer or coffee, no matter how much I really wish I could get in on this cool nerd shit.

I'm sure it's even worse in Seattle. It's like living in Kansas City and not liking barbeque.

There's plenty of options if you want to brew up some basement sludge. Like... sourdough. Or kombucha.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Also:
    Wait, so he makes coffee *and* beer go through that tap?
    I'm not sure I'd be thrilled by that, because while I do enjoy cold coffee, I dislike any beer that is not prefaced with the word 'root', and I would need some assurance that there wouldn't be some aftertaste

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    KalTorak wrote: »

There's plenty of options if you want to brew up some basement sludge. Like... sourdough. Or kombucha.

Yeah, but neither of those have the breadth of coffee/beer, or the social possibilities.

(Although now I kind of want to watch a stream of Acquisitions Inoculated.)

dennis on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Where they homebrew their own vaccines?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Also:
    I'm not sure I'd be thrilled by that, because while I do enjoy cold coffee, I dislike any beer that is not prefaced with the word 'root', and I would need some assurance that there wouldn't be some aftertaste
    I'd imagine he washes it between liquids.

You know, unlike any place that has a Coke Freestyle Machine.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Also:

Oddly enough, I believe the Freestyle machines DO do an internal rinse cycle before/after a drink is dispensed. And apparently the bulk of the tubing for each cartridge is separate with only a very short shared bit at the end. But it's not enough. I always run my selected soda for a second or two down the drain before filling my cup. Which they don't at the drive trough.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Also:

Oddly enough, I believe the Freestyle machines DO do an internal rinse cycle before/after a drink is dispensed. And apparently the bulk of the tubing for each cartridge is separate with only a very short shared bit at the end. But it's not enough. I always run my selected soda for a second or two down the drain before filling my cup. Which they don't at the drive trough.
    You have better luck than I do, apparently.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also:

Not sure I catch your drift.

I assume you're saying even rinsing soda, you've had horrible tasting soda frequently with freestyle machines. For their faults (namely creating a huge bottleneck because there is never more than one of the machines), I can't believe they'd be as successful as they are if they were dispensing terrible soda to most people.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Also:

Not sure I catch your drift.

I assume you're saying even rinsing soda, you've had horrible tasting soda frequently with freestyle machines. For their faults (namely creating a huge bottleneck because there is never more than one of the machines), I can't believe they'd be as successful as they are if they were dispensing terrible soda to most people.

I imagine some people are just more sensitive to it than others. I've never even considered that it was all coming out of the same nozzle, nor have I bothered to let it run for a couple seconds in advance, but I don't recall ever thinking my soda tasted like the one I wanted plus another one mixed in.

But then, I feel you can get a Coke at several different restaurants and they all taste a little different (but not necessarily in a bad way). I've always thought it could be fun to do a blind taste test with Cokes from several fast food places and see if I could guess which one came from where. :) lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Yeah, AFAIK, there is no one standard (apart from Freestyle) on how to set up Coke (or other sodas) on fountains. The quality can swing wildly from place to place. For whatever reason, Wendy's always had the most abysmal fountain drinks. Still do at locations without Freestyle. It's like it's barely carbonated. I specifically pick that location to go to rather than any of the others. As another example, I find that Chipotle consistently has great soft drinks.

I'm pretty picky about my sodas, but as long as I run it for a couple of seconds, I love the Freestyle (and the Pepsi equivalent). Well, except for wanting to murder the slow ass people in front of me.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    It can also vary based on the cleaning that the location does. If you dont remove those nozzles and scrub them, lots of things grow very quickly.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    It can also vary based on the cleaning that the location does. If you dont remove those nozzles and scrub them, lots of things grow very quickly.

Yeah, but that's pretty independent of whether it's a Freestyle or not.