As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World of Tanks, now (well, still) with inferior German tanks!

1151617181921»

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    One funny thing though, is at least with how AP pen currently works. 'Crossing the T' is actually the worst maneuver you can perform. Showing broadsides is the quickest way to get citadel'd. I prefer coming almost straight at the enemy, or away from them, waiting for their salvo to miss me, then turn just enough to get all guns on their broadsides before turning back or around behind an island.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    On the other hand, firing HE at someone that's closing is devestating.
    You're basically raking their entire topdeck.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm trying out the boats. Albino Bunny if anyone wants to squad up.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    One funny thing though, is at least with how AP pen currently works. 'Crossing the T' is actually the worst maneuver you can perform. Showing broadsides is the quickest way to get citadel'd.

Yeah, I like this though. Makes it so you have to pay attention to wtf you're doing and puts a price on unleashing your full firepower. It's one of those sort of simple things that adds a fair amount of depth to the game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    Man, battleships are intimidating to play, you reload so slow, so you can't afford to miss and you move so slow you can't really run if shit goes bad

edited July 2015
    Man, battleships are intimidating to play, you reload so slow, so you can't afford to miss and you move so slow you can't really run if shit goes bad

The part that bugs me is the shot RNG. BBs have so much range but it's feast or famine as to whether you'll do anything or not. You've got all the HP though so you can provide a great distraction as your cruisers and DDs burn down the opposition. If the RNG behaves a BB can absolutely vaporize a ship though.

You do need to be pretty decisive in figuring out where you wanna go though. Waffling on where you wanna go is a good way to get beached or severely exposed. It's good to plan it out as the map is loading and you're shown the static inage of the map. Once you're familiar with the map flow and where the DDs like to go play it's a little easier.

Do we want to turn this into the Wargaming Megathread or fork this off into its own thing?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    I think WoWs deserve its own thread. It would make the game more visible for PA people who don't care for tanks or planes (as if there was anyone playing world of planes, heh).

Also, is there an ingame channel to meet with all the fine people from here?

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    Penny-Arcade is the channel we've been using.

If you see a Free_Anarchy in there that's me. It's a bad name.

JohanFlick wrote: »
    I think WoWs deserve its own thread. It would make the game more visible for PA people who don't care for tanks or planes (as if there was anyone playing world of planes, heh).

Also, is there an ingame channel to meet with all the fine people from here?

I can write something up later when I get home. I'm pretty good at thread OPs.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    More so than WoT this feels like a game where pre-mades are going to tear a ridiculous amount of shit up. The Health bars are big enough that focus firing is going to pay huge dividends.

• ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    The wargaming solution to that problem was to just not let you party up pass 3 people at a time.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    @TOGSolid I am going to start a new thread here in a little bit actually, to tell the truth the only reason I have been putting it off is because I couldn't think of a snappy title...

Gaslight on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

The part that bugs me is the shot RNG. BBs have so much range but it's feast or famine as to whether you'll do anything or not. You've got all the HP though so you can provide a great distraction as your cruisers and DDs burn down the opposition. If the RNG behaves a BB can absolutely vaporize a ship though.

As a japanese battleship I really like to support my DDs (hopefully having a few cruisers with me). When I scoutplane boost my range I can easily shoot 18km in the Myogi (and the Kongo promises sweet sweet insanity).
    Which means that I can be 10km behind my DDs, running angular retreat (or advance) and delivering firepower from all my turrets. Engaging enemy battleships (or carriers, never seen one stupid enough to get that far ahead though) is ideal, but shooting cruisers work if you don't have anything better to shoot at. It's always fun when they think they're out of range and don't dodge.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • vhannroyvhannroy Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing this?

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sure do. Its one of those games that I keep coming back to once in a while.
    Love the changes to the sound and physics.

edit: (I'm taking about Tanks, not Warships btw)

Lind on
    well if anyone is interested in play in a platoon, my user name is the same on here as in there.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I come back to WoT and WoWS every once in a while. It's nice how short the rounds are compared to some of the other games. Plus... tanks!

Well I finally broke down and mad a clan. There are only 5 of us right now but we play pretty steady. If interested in joining up let me know.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Oof, is this the most recent thread? Well, necronmancy powers, do your thing!

I just picked up the game, and after a few screw-ups, mostly with crew assignments, I've got my chosen lines at tier 3/4 and am getting ready to move into Tier V (and complete the mission that lets you get any tier 6 tank off the tech tree you want. Does anyone have a recommendation for a casual player, what the best/most fun tier 6 regular tank is?)

Having to get this far without having 6th sense has probably been a learning experience to. :pop:

Given the sheer number of standard and speacialty skills that will be available, are there general recommendations?