As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Going slow

Thankfully I have all tomorrow too =)

u0aqle3jsshz.jpg

@lonelyahava

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, shit! Crab battle!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Up to 7 now. I'd like an even dozen but 7 at least is enough to steam =)

I'm having a semi-fancy dinner party at my house tomorrow night, so I've been cooking all afternoon. So far I've produced a deep dark red New Mexico sauce from dried chili pods, a milder creamy green sauce, and a batch of good taco meat. Tomorrow I'll start the slow cooker red beans, and my friends are bringing Mexican rice, some sort of nightmare vegetarian taco filling, guacamole, and queso.

Once they all arrive, I'm going to fry up some big fluffy sopapillas and we're going to stuff the bastards with the entire spread and throw some shredded cheddar and crema fresca on top.

Also:
    oa6hrdsf5wwt.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brisket has been smoking since 7am. its getting nice and tender and still has another hour and a half before it comes off. It was an 18 pounder before I trimmed it up, biggest brisket I've smoked!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Good weekend for SE++ foodwise

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brisket maybe needed another hour at 195 or so to really get that tenderness, but with the rain this morning it slowed down the smoke by a couple hours. Still mighty tasty and even after 10 people ate off of it (with a couple having seconds!) I still have the whole flat leftover. Going to be having brisket sandwiches for dinner this week, and maybe some brisket tacos too.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we made a kind of Moroccan stew

Onion
    Celery
    Carrots
    Can of tomatoes
    Can of chickpeas
    Can of white beans
    Container veg stock
    Spice mix (cumin, smoked paprika, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cardamom, lemon peel, turmeric, salt, pepper)
    Minced garlic
    Sliced mushrooms
    Smoked chicken
    Split red lentils
    Diced dried apricots

Sweat the mirepoix, add garlic and half the spice mix, toast, add mushrooms, cool a bit, add everything else. Cook on high 4 hours, take off lid, simmer 30 minutes

Serve with saffron couscous and crumbled goats cheese.

That sounds great

How were the apricots?

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Vanilla ice cream 2.0 was another success. Lowered the sugar a little bit and added chopped, roasted walnuts. So good!

e: I might have to get that Leibovitz ice cream book

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    That sounds great

How were the apricots?

they were small enough diced that you didn't really notice them. But I honestly thought the whole thing was amazing.

Hubby said it was too bitter for him though? but then I usually find myself making things bland and then added lemon juice to my serves. So maybe me not doing that for this one was a sign? I dunno. I thought it was fantastic

edited August 2019
    I LOVE crabbing

348zdahojapk.jpg

d0i32awfhski.jpg

I ended up with 13 =)

Edit: also I found a TON of amazing sumac

xa4w4f8thlqo.jpg

Xaquin on
    arrgghhhhh gimme those crabs. gimme gimme gimme

I miss home for that food. pretty much just that food.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    crabs are just spiders getting above their raisin' and I'll have nothing to do with them.

Hey, don't be like that. Spiders are much higher on the food chain.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Crabs are bottom feeders, it’s true.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Don't kink shame

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I've also read that nutritionists are not a regulated title, dieticians are who you want to talk to usually.
    yeah, i can never remember which is which, but the one with legal regulations on their practice!
    While the ideas make some sense, you'd have to eat a wholeeeeeee lot of rice to hit a problem with trace metals. The amounts we'd be talking about you are looking at health complications from probable obesity long before the metals had a chance. Chicken and rice is a great base, toss in some veg if you can and multi vitamin for insurance on the limited diet, you'll still be eating better than a lot of the world. Lentils or beans are also a good add, barring ibs etc.
    On the pans leaching anything, again you are just talking huge quantities of food unless you are using an astoundingly sketchy pan.
    Honestly you probably get more and worse just breathing near a road than you do from a bunch of meals from stainless steel.
    well, most of my cookware is old, so, debatable levels of sketch (/facetious) -- i'm not planning to get rid of my vintage Farberware aluminum-clad, since i'm not actively worried so much as cautiously trying to figure those cumulative risks, and voicing that process. which, again, i appreciate the knowledge from you guys.

the reference to stainless was more to illustrate how my brain is inclined to tangential rabbitholes, especially when i get worked up. (too, i'd kinda like to replace some of my jankier stuff, and an enameled dutch oven would be v. swaggy.) even with hypothetical worriable leaching, the typically short amount of time food is in cookware kinda limits the potential for it, anyway.

though plastic: i'm gonna reduce food contact when i can, with a solid-seeming body of research to support the impulse. (along with mild hippiedom.) and i have shit from college and maybe even high school that's probably laden with BPA, so i could probably do with a bit more paranoia in that regard. like, my people reuse cottage cheese containers for years, savvy? (...i totally have an old yogurt tub on hand, but i use it to catch and release stray bugs, is my excuse.) so i'm also kinda calibrating appropriate concern, here.

as far as cooking, i was a bit reductive -- he's been doing squash as well usually, with the occasional broccoli, bell pepper, or asparagus. he's not a fan of lentils or beans in general, so that's a real loss. he did get a gluten free pesto pizza last night and a burger today, so it hasn't only been chicken, rice, and veg the whole span, just the bulk of his meals.
    docs aren't sure what it is, but the working theory was ulcers, so he's been keeping within a GERD diet since mid-May.

now waiting on bloodwork since there was something from the endoscopy that might indicate Celiac's. told he'd get results from the bloodwork this past Wed/Thur (hah nope), none of it surprising because we still don't have the promised, more thorough (?) explanation regarding the endoscopy from Monday the week before. y'got a lot of acid reflux dot dot dot... it sucks because the med folk are real fuckin' casual about it and poor communicators, but they're not experiencing mysterious pain, months-on!

my fretting (re: *waves hand*, setting aside a GAD diagnosis ftm) is just trying to exert control in a way that might positively affect health. part is just chasing my tail since i'm a details person, but part is stuttering effort to research and improve QoL. discerning quality studies from the chaff can be above my paygrade, so spaghetti, meet wall, y'know?

to contribute something helpful, check out duxelle iffen you can do mushrooms and want a nice dose of umami. Savory Spice has a good mix which i have yet to use, but i'm pretty sure my dad fed to me. it is, at the very least, one he uses and recommended, and he is a very good cook.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How do you kill those crabs?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Don't kink shame

No shame in being what you are.

How do you kill those crabs?

Steamer

My girlfriends 5yo daughter did a horrifying yet entirely accurate play by play

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I'm trying out going vegetarian. Been thinking about it for ages and finally decided to do it as I need to improve my diet and it seems an easy way to help things. So I'm trying to come up with easy ways to make meat-free versions of meals we have without having to affect the meal choices themselves cos I don't want it to impact the people I live with. Luckily I do basically all the cooking so it's only me that gets hassle.

Tonight discovered roasted butter (lima?) beans are pretty good. Tomorrow we're having ham, egg, and chips so I think I'm going to try and make a Portobello mushroom schnitzel for myself instead of ham. And I bought a can of jackfruit because I keep reading about it but have never tried it, I'll probably do something involving peri-peri with it later in the week.

I don't miss meat yet! (It's been a whole 3 days)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    oh shit peri-peri jackfruit is a great idea. Actually peri-peri mushroom burger also sounds great.

... tell you what, I'll just pour peri-peri seasoning down my throat, shortcut the process.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    There are a dickload of really good vegetarian Indian dishes.

So I'm trying out going vegetarian. Been thinking about it for ages and finally decided to do it as I need to improve my diet and it seems an easy way to help things. So I'm trying to come up with easy ways to make meat-free versions of meals we have without having to affect the meal choices themselves cos I don't want it to impact the people I live with. Luckily I do basically all the cooking so it's only me that gets hassle.

Tonight discovered roasted butter (lima?) beans are pretty good. Tomorrow we're having ham, egg, and chips so I think I'm going to try and make a Portobello mushroom schnitzel for myself instead of ham. And I bought a can of jackfruit because I keep reading about it but have never tried it, I'll probably do something involving peri-peri with it later in the week.

I don't miss meat yet! (It's been a whole 3 days)

I have an awesome sweet potato and kale enchilada recipe if you'd like! Makes like 12 big enchiladas.

Ooh yes please, I love all 3 of those things

I used to have a really good sweet potato, black bean, and kale quesadilla recipe.

That is until I realized I could use the exact same ingredients for a really good sweet potato, black bean, and kale bar pizza recipe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Time for an adult confession: When I very authoritatively inspect fruit and vegetables at a store I genuinely, generally have little to no idea what I'm looking for.

And because it just happened, I really wish that grocery stores which have a 12-20 items or fewer lanes would actually enforce it and boot those fuckers with the 80 item fully loaded cart back to the regular lines, regardless of how long they waited in the express line for.

Psykoma on
    Oh, man. If that ever happened at my grocery store, everyone else at the express lane would just laugh and clap and cheer.

If we're going to bring automation into retail, keep some cashiers and just build a robot who gets really shitty about express lane limits.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited August 2019
    "does this look like 12 items to you, Janice"

fhs4zu1o5ptz.jpeg

edit: this was actually one of the marketing pitches we booted around when first building that robot. Thought Tesco's might be interested in something taking the heat off their human cashiers.

tynic on
    Express Lane Shadebot 9000, I will die for you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Self checkouts are so terribly stupid.

At least 25% of them are broken, 40% are beeping because the scale swears you put a different item on it than you did, and 35% are occupied by someone trying to fit 100 items on that tiny assed ledge made for a basket. That 35% will inevitably need employee assistance because of scale malfunction.

I love self checkout for when I have like 3 items. Just let me get in and out. For a basket though, nothing beats a cashier.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I love self checkouts because there's almost always at least one free.

I also kinda wish the express lane checkout machines would stop scanning new items after they've reached their limits.

I've got about 4 pounds of flap steak marinating in vinegar, worcestershire sauce, pepper and some peanut oil, and some baby taters in the sous vide with half a stick of butter and 5 cloves of garlic. Should be ready to toss that meat in the oven in about 2 hours and then mash them taters and put it all right into my mouth.

I'm getting ready to cut up some leftover brisket, sear it in a pan with some texas style bbq sauce, then throw it on a bun with some slaw and sharp cheddar cheese.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I did self checkout at Home Depot and it took me like 6 seconds because it didn’t constantly harass me about the bagging area.

Just let me put my shit away how I want I’m not stealing this.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to cut up some leftover brisket, sear it in a pan with some texas style bbq sauce, then throw it on a bun with some slaw and sharp cheddar cheese.

I'm currently trying to decide what to baste my meat with so it can get something with some sugar in it to get me some nice maillard. Maybe I'll toss a can of Dr. Pepper into the marinade 20 minutes before bake time.

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Self checkouts are so terribly stupid.

At least 25% of them are broken, 40% are beeping because the scale swears you put a different item on it than you did, and 35% are occupied by someone trying to fit 100 items on that tiny assed ledge made for a basket. That 35% will inevitably need employee assistance because of scale malfunction.

In my experience there’s also a large percentage (30-50%) of customers who scan their item, wait through the ‘please place item in bagging area’ prompt with item in hand, then click the ‘skip bagging’ button when it shows up and proceed to immediately put the item in the bagging area.
    They then usually angrily call me over, saying either “I don’t know why it’s not working!” or “I don’t know why it told me to skip bagging!”

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hate self checkout. It's just making the customer do all the work that employees used to do. It's just an excuse for big companies to cut more overhead from payroll.

I never like to shop at Walmart because they tend to only have 2 register with cashiers open to service the whole store at any given time of day. Even if there are hundreds of shoppers. You end up waiting in line for an hour. Oh and the cashiers have to bag the groceries too while Walmart pleads poverty as to the possibility of hiring baggers or more cashiers or paying the ones they have a living wage.

This discussion has been closed.