As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Wait, you can choose the Comstar ones as well for the Tier included mech packs? Dang... That might make me change my decision now.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I'm willing to let people donate in my name to get closer to the goal, because I'm selfless like that

Fine. I get a second $300 pledge and name a pilot after you.

Deal, no takebacks!

Deal. I'll also paint the Dragon I get in your honor. What color you want?

Hmmmm Oosik Parade Colors? Mainly white with blue arms and orange legs?

Ugh... White. I will do my best.

It's not that bad.
    *snip*

Just don't try to do a true, straight white. In which case, yeah, it can be tricky.
    Yeah, one thing I've learned is doing an off white as your base (like a bone white or cutting it with some grey to darken it a bit) and then using the bright white as a highlight seems to work best. Starting with a bright white, hosing it down with nuln oil, and then doing touch-ups afterwards seems to work too if you want a white mech that's seen some shit. Either way, you end up with a lot of not white on the model and the white being suggested via small details.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm willing to let people donate in my name to get closer to the goal, because I'm selfless like that

Fine. I get a second $300 pledge and name a pilot after you.

Deal, no takebacks!

Deal. I'll also paint the Dragon I get in your honor. What color you want?

Hmmmm Oosik Parade Colors? Mainly white with blue arms and orange legs?

Ugh... White. I will do my best.

It's not that bad.
    *snip*

Just don't try to do a true, straight white. In which case, yeah, it can be tricky.
    Yeah, one thing I've learned is doing an off white as your base (like a bone white or cutting it with some grey to darken it a bit) and then using the bright white as a highlight seems to work best. Starting with a bright white, hosing it down with nuln oil, and then doing touch-ups afterwards seems to work too if you want a white mech that's seen some shit. Either way, you end up with a lot of not white on the model and the white being suggested via small details.

I did Charlie lance with straight white base coat >> light grey wash all over >> drybrush back up to straight white. So, ditto on the slather+highlight plan.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Ugh... Highlights...

I'm only decent with drab colors then typically a minwax dip.

kx3klFE.png
    Ugh... Highlights...

I'm only decent with drab colors then typically a minwax dip.

Seriously: drybrush. It's stupid easy, and gets you to tabletop quality. No need to get fancy and edge-highlight every panel by hand.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Only 5 days to go. Slipped the 11 year old a copy of the Succession Wars TRO for bedtime reading last night. Gotta prime him.

kx3klFE.png
    Woo!!! The 2Mil marker was unveiled... Dangit, now I want us to hit this mark just for the Urbanmech!
    $2,000,000 –NO GUTS, NO GALAXY! BattleTech is filled with endless stories and tabletop fun. This campaign has unlocked a huge swath of such action, and we’ve got even more to enhance your enjoyment of this game we all love:

· Magazine. A new, digital-only magazine envisioned as a blend of MechForce Quarterly-meets-BattleTechnology. New fiction, scenarios, and more, and all officially in canon! This community will specifically be asked for content submissions. We will commit to four issues, with timing of release to be determined. WARRIOR and above will receive the first issue for free, while STAR COLONEL and above will receive the first two issues for free.

· Reinforcements! While all players will have access to the free PDF of the record sheets for the miniatures from this campaign, all STAR COMMANDER and above will receive physical record sheets for free. Additionally, we’ll create a Reinforcements package that will include a cardboard standee for each design—exactly along the lines of those found in theBattleTech Beginner Boxand A Game of Armored Combat—corresponding to those record sheets. STAR COLONEL and above will receive this package for free.

· Camospecs: A Unit Art Manual PDF. The BattleTech community is fantastic, filled with great energy and passion that can lead to fantastic projects. One of those is the Unit Art Compendium, created by the community for MechWarrior Online. Our Camospecs: A Unit Art Manual PDF will be patterned after that amazing project. It will include a variety of paint schemes for various combat commands from the various factions, appropriate to each design, along with text discussing those details. This PDF will dove-tail into the Camospecs: A Guide to Faction Paint Schemes from the $1,750,000 Stretch Goal; each time a new How To Paint guideline is added to that PDF, it will correspond directly to a camo schemes from this Camospecs: A Unit Art Manual. WARRIOR and above will receive all PDF updates for free.

· All Hail The UrbanMech!

First, the UrbanMech as its own box! All backers will be given one free UrbanMech. Additionally, this ’Mech will be provided as an add-on for any players who wish to purchase additional copies.

Second, we will commission a plushy UrbanMech! All backers will be given first access to purchase this plushy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    That is a bang up collection of stuff for 2 mil. For me the physical record sheets, cardboard standees for all designs and URBIE!!! are the highlights.

Go go 2 mil!!

EDIT: That can't be right that "all backers" get an UrbanMech. It must be "all backers over a certain level." If not, expect a flood of $1 backers.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    I'm guessing they are going to give it to everybody to try and entice more to come out of the woodwork? Honestly they should make it at least the $20 barrier. But hey, they are being generous since it'll mean they have $2,000,000 in up front cash to play with.

I also noticed that to get the cardboard cutouts I'll have to up mine to $300. At least @HydroSqueegee will get his wish and have tons of cutouts now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited August 2019
    Nope, I was wrong. It's every backer - they updated the pledge images:
    ffb09c4f69e43b2189a690065c189c2d_original.png?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1565620120&auto=format&gif-q=50&lossless=true&s=9b54190bf2e77884dfedbbc84a646810

EDIT: But if they are allowing us to purchase multiple pledge levels, can't everyone at the higher levels get an extra Urbie for a buck?
    Q: Can I select more than one Pledge Level?

A: Yes! CrowdOx has assured us that their new system features will support this. They will be called "bundles," but they amount to the same thing. You will not be able to substitute items inside a bundle, jsut as you can't do substitutions inside a reward level. Also, they will be exempt from our Merchant Caste discount because of the heavy discounting already done inside the bundle.

EDIT: Since been updated.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Honestly, I'm going to wonder about that... If it does do that, then I'm going to toss them an extra $1 once it goes to that point.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I'm guessing they are going to give it to everybody to try and entice more to come out of the woodwork? Honestly they should make it at least the $20 barrier. But hey, they are being generous since it'll mean they have $2,000,000 in up front cash to play with.

I also noticed that to get the cardboard cutouts I'll have to up mine to $300. At least @HydroSqueegee will get his wish and have tons of cutouts now.

I just read the update and that makes me happy. Since I'm already in for 2 $300 pledges, I'm extra excited.

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2019
    Oh I get it. "All backers will be given one free UrbanMech." So you can get it at the $1 level (which is amazing, and possibly a bad idea? Seems prone to abuse with duplicate account orders or getting friends to pitch in for a buck.) But you can't add the $1 level to higher pledge to get a second one free. One per backer. That makes more sense. (Sorry to do this thinking out loud. I am excite.)

EDIT: Since been updated.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Iolo wrote: »
    Oh I get it. "All backers will be given one free UrbanMech." So you can get it at the $1 level (which is amazing, and possibly a bad idea? Seems prone to abuse with duplicate account orders or getting friends to pitch in for a buck.) But you can't add the $1 level to higher pledge to get a second one free. One per backer. That makes more sense. (Sorry to do this thinking out loud. I am excite.)

If they don't fix what is surly a glitch, I'll toss in an extra $16 just to run an all urban mech company.

kx3klFE.png
    Omfg plushy Urbanmech

We need to hit two million stat o_o

wWuzwvJ.png
    Omfg plushy Urbanmech

We need to hit two million stat o_o

What is funny is that when I played the TT long ago I never knew what an Urbanmech was. Flash forward to MWO and the Urbanmech pack was the first mech pack I bought because it was cheap and I thought it looked funny. Then an Urbanmech challenge leaderboard came and I actually placed in it with my own build that was not meta. So yeah that made me love it even more... Now I am sitting here debating on actually throwing more money just to get the chance to buy an Urbie plushie.

Yeah I need help.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Notes on the kickstarter itself specifies "Warrior and above" for the free Urbie.
    Don't know if that was a recent update or not though.

edited August 2019
    see317 wrote: »

Notes on the kickstarter itself specifies "Warrior and above" for the free Urbie.
    Don't know if that was a recent update or not though.

Yep, they must have just changed that.

Edit: You can see the old image in Iolo's post up above which shows the $1 level having the Urbie in it. Now it doesn't (on the KS page).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    So what you're saying is, I can convert my pledge into 15 $20 pledges and get 15 urban mechs? I'm in.

kx3klFE.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    huff puff huff puff

someone

said

urbanmech plushie?

edited August 2019
    As expected, the announcement of the $2M tier caused the official boards to blow up with excitement.

From where I sit, I think $2M is going to be a close finish. Kicktraq's projection is sitting just below $2M by campaign end, but their experimental analytics have it hitting a range fro. 1.83M to 2.1M. It's going to be close.

Also, how TF do you mess up the initial messaging on that $2M goal when you've been sitting on it for at least a week or more, and know people are going to pick the language apart and get butthurt if it's not exactly how you intended from the jump? CGL having to go back and errata that the Urbie figures is only on higher tier pledges is like....c'mon guys, get it right the first time.

Nips on
    As expected, the announcement of the $2M tier caused the official boards to blow up with excitement.

From where I sit, I think $2M is going to be a close finish. Kicktraq's projection is sitting just below $2M by campaign end, but their experimental analytics have it hitting a range fro. 1.83M to 2.1M. It's going to be close.

Also, how TF do you mess up the initial messaging on that $2M goal when you've been sitting on it for at least a week or more, and know people are going to pick the language apart and get butthurt if it's not exactly how you intended from the jump? CGL having to go back and errata that the Urbie figures is only on higher tier pledges is like....c'mon guys, get it right the first time.

I'm guessing they figured that the $1 for an Urbie Miniature would not be that bad to eat for profit... Till they saw all the new KS accounts and the $1 level exploding?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Are the Comstar packs a choice for the bonus Lance/Star packs? Sure wished the King Crab and Crab we're in the same lance. :bigfrown:

l7n41RV.png
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Are the Comstar packs a choice for the bonus Lance/Star packs? Sure wished the King Crab and Crab we're in the same lance. :bigfrown:

Yes, you can pick a Comstar lance with 9ne of your pledge level star/lance picks. Bonus mech!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

Yes, you can pick a Comstar lance with 9ne of your pledge level star/lance picks. Bonus mech!

Neat!

Looks like I'll bump up my pledge instead of buying extra packs.

We should put a mech swap up down the line, if anyone is interested.

l7n41RV.png
    edited August 2019
    Okay, they clarified the Urbie language:

JRb5I5o.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

Neat!

Looks like I'll bump up my pledge instead of buying extra packs.

We should put a mech swap up down the line, if anyone is interested.

I'd be down for a swap. When the dust settles I'll be the proud owner of 20 random clan mechs from the salvage packs. I'm sure I'll have at least a couple duplicates in there.

kx3klFE.png
    edited August 2019

Agreed on flubbing the messaging. :bigfrown:

I feel pretty good about the campaign hitting 2 million. Kicktraq's trend line is pretty flat. Look at other successful kickstarters like HBS' Battletech (which is somewhat comparable because Battltech), the Dark Souls board game, or any of the Dwarven Forge tile sets (which are comparable because they are physical piece games whose campaigns earned lots of unlocks and freebies as they progressed). They all have an uptick above the trendline in the last three days, sometimes to the tune of 50% of the money raised to that point.

Nothing is guaranteed, of course. But I'd say we're more in the 2-2.3 million range right now after the 48 hour remind-me backers come back than the 1.8-2.1 range Kicktraq is showing.

Hopefully Catalyst will roll out one more carrot at something like the $2,150,000 level before we're done, and even if we don't hit that it'll secure the 2 million level.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited August 2019

Yeah this, plus the Urbie at $2 mil is making me rethink my backing level... But I really don't need more mechs to gather dust.

Edit: At least this is the discussion that goes on in my head. The logical, adult side versus emotional, kid side.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'll probably start a google doc where folks can post up what they're wanting and looking for and people may be able to work out what everyone's gonna get.
    I'll probably make it tonight or so, but I'll wait until the KS closes before I post it in-thread

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited August 2019
    Tox wrote: »
    I'll probably start a google doc where folks can post up what they're wanting and looking for and people may be able to work out what everyone's gonna get.
    I'll probably make it tonight or so, but I'll wait until the KS closes before I post it in-thread

If you'd prefer, I've already got something along those lines put together for my IRL friends that are doing swaps. I can fork the gdoc and make a PA version pretty easily, I think.

It's also worth putting out there, that I'm assuming most people's selections and add-ons will be in flux until the campaign actually ends and locks down stuff, so even if we start populating a sheet now, it's nothing set in stone until well after the campaign ends.

Nips on
    Tox wrote: »

If you'd prefer, I've already got something along those lines put together for my IRL friends that are doing swaps. I can fork the gdoc and make a PA version pretty easily, I think.

It's also worth putting out there, that I'm assuming most people's selections and add-ons will be in flux until the campaign actually ends and locks down stuff, so even if we start populating a sheet now, it's nothing set in stone until well after the campaign ends.

Yeah that'd be great! My main logic is if I want at least 3 mechs in the pack, I'll probably buy it. So I was thinking about listing "mechs I'll be buying but not wanting" and "mechs I want but don't plan to buy"

Yeah this, plus the Urbie at $2 mil is making me rethink my backing level... But I really don't need more mechs to gather dust.

Edit: At least this is the discussion that goes on in my head. The logical, adult side versus emotional, kid side.

I've probably got 20 years left on me at most. I'm not going to see another redesign of this IP. I could maybe wait. Maybe get some stuff at retail if I'm lucky. Maybe I could get hit by a truck next week. So by Kerenski I'm going to go overboard and override all my logical adult decisions and get me a Regiment of stompy bois....

... To sit with my piles of other BT stuff collecting dust... :(

kx3klFE.png

I've probably got 20 years left on me at most. I'm not going to see another redesign of this IP. I could maybe wait. Maybe get some stuff at retail if I'm lucky. Maybe I could get hit by a truck next week. So by Kerenski I'm going to go overboard and override all my logical adult decisions and get me a Regiment of stompy bois....

We're all gonna be dead in 10-15 by global warming anyway so SCREW IT, GET SOME MECHS Y'ALL

wWuzwvJ.png

We're all gonna be dead in 10-15 by global warming anyway so SCREW IT, GET SOME MECHS Y'ALL

Just need to refit to double heatsinks and we'll be fine (so get some more mechs).

l7n41RV.png
    Considering all the Alpha Strike rules I'm pretty sure I can get my wife to let me teach her how to play

The Battletech fanbase in a bar graph:
    wwiqu9am0i4y.png
    Hit the "double forces = rapid redeployment" stretch goal and the kickstarter has its 4th best day to date.

Announce they're making an UrbanMech and that 4th best day is now fifth best day.

Lol. Just...lol.

ALSO for those of you interested in getting in on some hot-swaps of your hardware, you friendly neighborhood paper pusher has you covered.

Here's a link to a sheet where we can start populating our potential WANTS and TRADES.

Onwards to Camo Specs tomorrow!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Lol. Just...lol.

ALSO for those of you interested in getting in on some hot-swaps of your hardware, you friendly neighborhood paper pusher has you covered.

Here's a link to a sheet where we can start populating our potential WANTS and TRADES.

Updated!