As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular

This is probably the best Mario Maker course ever made.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Looks like I'm entering this too. Hope you guys like it.

Challenge #4
    Course:
    Trials of the Triforce
    Code: 3Q2-434-YGG

@quovadis13

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Hey i made a level of anyone wants to try it

Pick A Peck Of Perilous Pipes
    YR2-TQL-5YF

it's supposed to be a versus level, but it works single player too. You just lose a solid bit at the end sp. It's my first level!

Hey if anyone plays this tell me why it's bad so I can get better at levels plz thx :)

Ah_Pook on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

YR2-TQL-5YF

it's supposed to be a versus level, but it works single player too. You just lose a solid bit at the end sp. It's my first level!

Hey if anyone plays this tell me why it's bad so I can get better at levels plz thx :)

Blindsiding the player with unavoidable death traps is generally frowned upon. You either need to add some sort of forgiveness, or better yet, a way to telegraph which pipe is correct ahead of time. The player should feel smart or skilled, not lucky.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Stuff like this makes me wonder why I am even trying to make levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqcp8Ofkyxc

edited August 2019
    Zython wrote: »

YR2-TQL-5YF

Blindsiding the player with unavoidable death traps is generally frowned upon. You either need to add some sort of forgiveness, or better yet, a way to telegraph which pipe is correct ahead of time. The player should feel smart or skilled, not lucky.

It is telegraphed in the level, if you want to try it again.

Ah_Pook on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Stuff like this makes me wonder why I am even trying to make levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqcp8Ofkyxc

This is undoubtedly very clever, but there's no Mario platforming gameplay at all. I want Mario platforming challenges. I wouldn't let it discourage you.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited August 2019
    Ok I finished my Week 4 Challenge level. I don't super like it, but I did the best I can.

It technically is only 4 screens and a start and end screen. So that fits

Boom Boom Keeps Trying

P1F-MN9-J9G

Kai_San on
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Ok I finished my Week 4 Challenge level. I don't super like it, but I did the best I can.

It technically is only 4 screens and a start and end screen. So that fits

Boom Boom Keeps Trying

362 X3P QWF

The room with the 2nd checkpoint probably needs some rework. I think you meant for boom-boom to hit the on/off switch, but I simply just ran across and took the hit as cat mario. Then, in the next screen, you get cat mario again (not that it's needed).

Oh well damn. I originally wanted no powerup there to stop that then couldn't think of a way to get the bombs lit.

3D world is definitely super restrictive. I think I will just accept that and move on.

Zython wrote: »

YR2-TQL-5YF

It is telegraphed in the level, if you want to try it again.

Agree with Zython. It must be subtle, because I noticed nothing either, so it's completely random. It doesn't seem to work well in single player. I can't get passed the 3 spinies on munchers part. Either you need an item or the timing must be very strict. In multiplayer, it's not a problem because you could just blitz passed it.

Spin jump on the spinies, look at stuff before the checkpoint :)

Ok I was inspired with an idea to fix it, so the level no longer has cheese. Well, there is an easy way to do it, but still its not cheese like before.

New code for Boom Boom Keeps Trying

P1F-MN9-J9G

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    So far I have played levels by:

TelMarine
    Zombie Hero
    Gundi
    Kizmitt
    Djiem
    WACCriminal

If you made a level and I haven’t listed you, let me know. Also, if you are still working on a level, you have about 24 hours to finish (approx 9-10 pm EST) as I will fire up Mario Maker at about this time tomorrow to go through any more levels

I did levels by
    The Sauce
    Zython
    Kai_San (still need to finish it technically)

I am heading out for dinner and I will fire up any levels left when we get back and get the kids to bed, so consider this last call.

TelMarine wrote: »
    . I can't get passed the 3 spinies on munchers part. Either you need an item or the timing must be very strict. In multiplayer, it's not a problem because you could just blitz passed it.

What do you mean by you could just blitz through it in multiplayer?

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

YR2-TQL-5YF

It's real grind to be honest, it's really not a very fun grind. Every time I get to a new stretch, I die to something that was just offscreen, something that I didn't know was coming, or to something really fiddly like the spiny jumps, and then I have to repeat the whole thing again. Getting killed choosing the wrong pipe in the middle of a precision course is not, to me, compelling gameplay.

In the intro room where you hint at the pipe sequence, you are using number of blocks in the slot to indicate pipe position, and left to right slot position to indicate level progression. This is pretty counterintuitive. My first instinct was to go into the yellow pipe first, since the 3rd slot had one block in it. But that just killed me so I discarded any logic and brute forced it by guessing. Not that I ever got to see the hint a second time because of the checkpoint placement! I only realized while drafting this post how you intended the hint to work.

The pacing is weird too. Like the first room with the pipes and the checkpoint, why are you firing two bullets and two koopas at the player? The room quickly fills with enemies and I don't see to what end other than forcing the player to choose a pipe quickly before the room gets too dangerous. Some time to breathe isn't bad. Use the screen to set mood and theme instead of going zero to murder in 2 seconds.

My suggestions are:

Fix the hint to be better and more intuitive. My suggestion would be:

⬛️🔲⬛️⬛️
    ⬛️⬛️🔲⬛️
    🔲⬛️⬛️⬛️
    ⬛️🔵⬛️🔴

This way the pipe spatial and level spatial arrangement is preserved and blocks indicate which pipe to take on which level. It looks like a map! People will understand this better.

Place the first checkpoint before the spiny jump segment. There's no need for a checkpoint after the intro. The first two segments aren't too hard and the intro is short. This will show the player the hint more than once and it'll put a checkpoint where it better fits in terms of pacing and difficulty. The player will be happy to see the flag and not upset when they die right after getting it.

Give the player a mushroom or something to ease the pressure of the precision sections. Yeah it means they can cheese a section with i-frames. It's ok.

More visible hazards. Fewer hazards. Why spike inside the pipe holes on level 2? It doesn't require skill to avoid those, just clutters the level and spoils pacing slightly.

The spiny setup is too unforgiving the be so late in the level with no checkpoint. You wouldn't lose much deleting a single spike trap to allow the first bounce to be a tiny bit higher. But if you move the checkpoint it might be no big deal.

Make choosing the wrong pipe survivable. Maybe use a magikoopa ambush or spinies so the player goes OH SHIT and leaves. Make it harder than if they hadn't chosen the wrong pipe. But don't kill them.

This is all single player advice. For multiplayer I might just mention that online multiplayer makes precision nearly impossible due to lag, so this might only work locally.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular

YR2-TQL-5YF

Ok so I threw myself at this level for a good while, finally overcoming it.
    Once you know what you are doing each part is fairly simple to navigate. However there is a lot of bullshit that can kill you, namely the spike traps. One in particular the one in the corner after the long fire bar jump. Why put this here? This will guarantee people rage quitting your level if the instant death pipes haven't already.

I was able to understand the code you had setup at the start but only because of the post here mentioning that it was telegraphed.
    Locking the single player out of the screen with the code does you no favours as a lot of players wont even realise there was a code. But if they had to repeat that screen multiple times they might end up figuring out what the code means through correlation.

The spiny jump is the biggest problem. I would suggest removing the spike traps, or replacing the second row with something else. Every other room didnt have you repeating the same obstacle so why does this one?

While it is frustrating to have to repeat everything to get back to the spiny jump I dont think you should put a checkpoint here as I feel it would cheapen the challenge. However if your goal is to get people to finish it and like it, then you'll need to put a checkpoint here and a powerup.

It's not a bad level but it is very unfair. And to a lot of people unfair equals skipped.

• mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So I like puzzle levels, and I thought I'd make my own. And I looked at 3D World, and wondered why there were so few good puzzle levels making use of the extra features in it.

Well, now I know why. What I would have given for, say, a bumper. But my latest magnum opus is complete! And far too long. In fact, it was too long, then I got some people to playtest it, and they said it felt like it should be split into two. So I did. And now it's two levels that are too long.

But I think it's got potential, so I present to you, after something like four weeks of testing and refinement: Bowser's Bombling Plant, Parts 1 and 2:
    ihS8Sk4.jpglz7VXCp.jpg
    ntyNPMM.jpgqRQLQec.jpg

Bowser's Bombling Plant: Part 1 and Part 2.

1: 9TV-J7P-FKF
    2: CBL-SMD-QMG

It's a series of mostly-single-screen puzzles, all based around a key theme of finding your way through the machinery of the Bombling Plant. Don't think of them quite in the context of a usual puzzle level, these aren't individually as intricate, but there's a lot of themes of figuring out how best to manipulate the objects involved; plus there's a few more actiony interludes where it introduces key concepts or where I've tried to convey the story parts.

Part 1 is fighting your way through the plant to shut down the production line.
    Part 2 is entering the R&D labs in the plant to rescue the prisoner forced to produce Bowser's latest secret weapons

I'll freely admit that I think Part 1's somewhat stronger - the core design conceit proved to have more interesting potential - but there's puzzles I'm very proud of in both of them, and I've learned an awful lot about some interesting physics features that I didn't know existed!

They're probably too long to be a huge hit, but hopefully they'll find an audience!

mattclem on
    Since there doesn’t appear to be any late breaking entries, I have played all the courses submitted for the week and made a decision.

The winner is.......

The Sauce - Tower of Wonder

There were some great levels to choose from, but the puzzle levels had me most entertained this week. This one in particular combined the puzzle elements with an exploration vibe that made it really fun to hunt around in. Also, it used a theme (night castle) that I think is definitely weird compared to its day theme and it highlighted its strengths. Being able to move in any direction without needing ground was a super useful feature for this level.

I am currently on my phone but when I get in to work on Monday, I will provide feedback on the other levels. All in all, this was a fun week and I look forward to keeping up with the challenges myself.

Congrats The Sauce!

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I just played through Tower of Wonder and thought it really was superb.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    If i tthrew my half-completed Multidious Mayhem level up, would people be up for giving me feedback? It's not a hard level by any means, it's just so fugging COMPLEX that i'm having a hard time figuring out if it feels good to play by myself.

For context: It's a 3d world speed run level. The catch is that there's at least 3 or 4 differnet routes through the level that you can switch between semi-smoothly. Ideally i'm going for a level that's easy-to-clear, hard-to-master. And one that should work well in mutliplayer as well as single player, though that's more of a bonus/byproduct

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I can tell you where I die the most

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    I can tell you where I die the most

It should be VERY diffuclt to kill yourself in this D: At least, by falling, you can run into enemies if you really want.

Anyway. here we go: C24-RP6-9YF

Pretty sure i'm going redesign the bouncy section, i'm not very happy with it. Be interested to know how generally flow feels, and how easy it is to identify routes/move between them. Does it feel too punshing to fall into the water and be slowed down? (It seems better than just having the player die, but maybe it's just too much of a feel bad thing?)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Not gonna lie those dry bones did almost kill me. As a multiplayer level it will play really well, and as a single player level it'll be fun to try and beat the record. Which I did after trying out all the routes multiple times.

Moving between routes was natural and easy. I think you need some big coins to encourage moving between them. And there was a part at the end where I couldnt jump back up to the top platform but it didnt really matter, I just couldn't backtrack along the top which isn't a thing most players will worry about.

Falling into water is way better then instant death. Keeps everything moving and is a good punishment for those that are racing.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Wow! Thanks for the kind words. I'm so glad people enjoyed the course!

So hey, let's get right to the next one. I'll give you all through the next weekend so we can maximize submissions. That way the remaining challenges should all have a full weekend available for makers, kicking off on a weekday.

Please enter your challenge submissions into the spreadsheet (see OP) to make sure I don't miss them! If you can't edit the spreadsheet, just ask someone kind to add it for you.

The Sauce presents:

The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #5!

Back to the Basics - Make a course without Gizmos or Autoscroll

It can be so tempting to really go nuts making elaborate contraptions. But even in a complex design, the fundamentals remain key.

This challenge focuses entirely on those fundamentals. You can't use anything from the Gizmos category except Arrows and Checkpoint Flags (because I don't hate myself). Also, no Autoscroll - the flow is in the player's hands.

Apart from that, you have free reign. Make a classic Mario course, a Spike Trap infested nightmare, a water world, a shmup, the possibilities remain plentiful. Do note, however, that I'm not an especially expert player. If your difficulty goes too high, I may be unable to finish your course, which would make it really tricky to fairly judge.

Challenge details:
    • Level Style: Any (SMB, SMB3, SMW, etc)
    • Level Theme: Any (Ground, Castle, Underwater, etc)
    • Nighttime option: Yes
    • Duration: Sun 8/11 - Sun 8/18
    • Submission Cutoff: Sun 8/18 night (flex hours due to time zones)
    • Winner Announced: Mon 8/19 night (I will take an extra weekday or two if needed to get through them all)

Please only one submission per person, but feel free to tweak a level before the cutoff date. Let me know as soon as you can if you're submitting an edit, as I'd like to get through as many submissions as possible on the weekend prior to the cutoff to be as timely as possible with judging.

Good luck!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This one's going to be tough for me. It goes against all my design tendencies, LOL. EDIT: To clarify, I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

WACriminal on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to try for a classic mario 1 level.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    To that point: What about using gizmos that the player cannot access and have no impact on gameplay? Like you're trying to get around a brick wall and you can see a p-switch locked away somewhere, like "haha wouldn't it be great if you had THIS?"

WACriminal wrote: »
    To that point: What about using gizmos that the player cannot access and have no impact on gameplay? Like you're trying to get around a brick wall and you can see a p-switch locked away somewhere, like "haha wouldn't it be great if you had THIS?"
    I wanted to avoid a more complex list of exceptions, but I'm okay with this. If it's just decorative - the player can't interact with it, the course isn't affected by it, etc - then I'm not going to disqualify it or anything.

I may be somewhat more partial to courses that achieve a good look without them in judging, given the focus of the challenge.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    Challenge Bash #5
    Anthill Out Of A Mountain 5P9-JKD-YLG

Its time for a diplomatic mission to the Mountain Ant Colony. Peach has issued a no kill order, but these ants cant help it if you clumsily get crushed to death. Seek out the Queen.

I wasnt expecting to have this one done so quickly.
    I sat down to tinker with the limited toolset and then several hours later a level was made. Whoops.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the feedback on my dumb pick a pipe level :)

I made a new level where you don't have to pick any pipes! The original plan was to make an upside down versus level, but then I just made an upside down level instead. it's some tricky platforming! Thematically youre climbing down/up through the center of the world. I think it's a significantly more playable level than my first one heh. It took me a long time to upload 0_0 the last bit got a little out of hand, but that's what happens when you're making a level at 3am. feedback appreciated!

Ascent/Descent
    TMC-S99-WVG

Ascent/Descent v1.2
    D03-FHN-R5G

Ah_Pook on
    Last week's challenge feedback. I already offered up feedback on The Sauce's wining course, but overall, there were a lot of very good, very fun courses!

TelMarine - Magikoopa's Fortress Riches
    A fun standard Mario level. Did a good job of fitting coins into every little nook and cranny but not making the level feel cramped or claustrophobic. Good use of a clear condition which makes you stay in the level to fully explore it instead of just blasting through it

Zombie Hero - Bowser's Ambush
    Really neat mechanic behind the level. Great use of the back and forward "scrolling" which means that 4 screens is probably the perfect length for this level. It plays hectic enough without being overwhelming which is great.

Gundi - Banzai Rooms
    Simple and fun concept that feels really good to hit properly. Jumping on banzai bills is very rewarding. The second half of the level flowed a bit better than the first half. Minor quibble was that it was a little rough around the edges, could have used the scroll stopping to keep the camera locked in place.

Kizmitt - Incepchain Chomp
    Challenging level, neat concept though. While I think the difficulty was meant to build up, I felt the second room (the boo ring room) was the hardest and the Bowser room at the end was the simplest. The dry bones shell is a really neat new addition to the Mario universe

Djiem - Mariotoads in Mariomaniacs
    While I never played Battletoads as a kid, this level definitely had a taste of that "Nintendo hard" concept the game is known for (but in a good way!). You did a good job of preparing the player for what the snake was going to do and maybe it was just that I was a little more comfortable but I spent alot more time on the first half than the second half. The spikes feel like they have weird hitboxes sometimes, but that's on Nintendo. This definitely feels like a level that could be extended out more and that 4 screens seemed like just enough of a teaser to leave you wanting a bit more

WACriminal - Enkidu House - Runner-up
    This was a really good puzzle level, it had a lot of layers to it. Good use of the night ghost house theme to leave half the level in the dark which makes the puzzling just that much more difficult. What I especially liked about this puzzle was that once you solved the "hook" of the level, you still haven't actually solved the puzzle! You then have to figure out how to use that "mechanic" to solve the level. Also, the final solution is hiding in plain sight the whole time which makes it even better once you figure it out

Zython - Trials of the Triforce
    Some neat ideas in here that were executed pretty well. I believe this was themed after a Zelda dungeon and it definitely had that feel. I understand why you have a final boss if that's the theme, but those giant Bowser's with a fire flower dispenser are more tedious than challenging. A good level overall though

Kai_San - Boom Boom Keeps Trying
    Nice innovative ways to do some Boom Boom killing. Always good to see some tech exploration since this game can be used in ways that I can't possibly imagine sometimes!

I had a great time playing all your awesome courses last week, but I felt bad about cutting into my own making time. Of course, when I am making levels, I feel bad that I am not playing all your awesome courses as much. It's a real pickle it is

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    In spite of all my pissing and moaning I finally broke down and bought this. Only going through story mode so far.

Had no idea magikoopas can turn the goalpost into an enemy. Is that new? Seems like that could make for a great troll. Surprised I haven't seen anyone do that yet.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    In spite of all my pissing and moaning I finally broke down and bought this. Only going through story mode so far.

Had no idea magikoopas can turn the goalpost into an enemy. Is that new? Seems like that could make for a great troll. Surprised I haven't seen anyone do that yet.

Wait what? How do you beat it then?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Djiem wrote: »

Wait what? How do you beat it then?

Kill the transformed goalpost and it changes back. Or, if it’s not killable, Kill the Magikoopa and wait a bit. IIRC.

Enlong on
    edited August 2019
    I used that trick in my Road of Sacrifices course to implement the Crystal Sage boss, if you want to see it in action.

(Though it randomly misses maybe 1/5 of the time)

Fleur de Alys on
    Last week's challenge feedback. I already offered up feedback on The Sauce's wining course, but overall, there were a lot of very good, very fun courses!

A fun standard Mario level. Did a good job of fitting coins into every little nook and cranny but not making the level feel cramped or claustrophobic. Good use of a clear condition which makes you stay in the level to fully explore it instead of just blasting through it

Really neat mechanic behind the level. Great use of the back and forward "scrolling" which means that 4 screens is probably the perfect length for this level. It plays hectic enough without being overwhelming which is great.

Gundi - Banzai Rooms
    Simple and fun concept that feels really good to hit properly. Jumping on banzai bills is very rewarding. The second half of the level flowed a bit better than the first half. Minor quibble was that it was a little rough around the edges, could have used the scroll stopping to keep the camera locked in place.

Challenging level, neat concept though. While I think the difficulty was meant to build up, I felt the second room (the boo ring room) was the hardest and the Bowser room at the end was the simplest. The dry bones shell is a really neat new addition to the Mario universe

While I never played Battletoads as a kid, this level definitely had a taste of that "Nintendo hard" concept the game is known for (but in a good way!). You did a good job of preparing the player for what the snake was going to do and maybe it was just that I was a little more comfortable but I spent alot more time on the first half than the second half. The spikes feel like they have weird hitboxes sometimes, but that's on Nintendo. This definitely feels like a level that could be extended out more and that 4 screens seemed like just enough of a teaser to leave you wanting a bit more

This was a really good puzzle level, it had a lot of layers to it. Good use of the night ghost house theme to leave half the level in the dark which makes the puzzling just that much more difficult. What I especially liked about this puzzle was that once you solved the "hook" of the level, you still haven't actually solved the puzzle! You then have to figure out how to use that "mechanic" to solve the level. Also, the final solution is hiding in plain sight the whole time which makes it even better once you figure it out

Some neat ideas in here that were executed pretty well. I believe this was themed after a Zelda dungeon and it definitely had that feel. I understand why you have a final boss if that's the theme, but those giant Bowser's with a fire flower dispenser are more tedious than challenging. A good level overall though

Nice innovative ways to do some Boom Boom killing. Always good to see some tech exploration since this game can be used in ways that I can't possibly imagine sometimes!

I had a great time playing all your awesome courses last week, but I felt bad about cutting into my own making time. Of course, when I am making levels, I feel bad that I am not playing all your awesome courses as much. It's a real pickle it is

@quovadis13 and others, was it hard to figure out that you needed to defeat a magikoopa to get the key to exit on Magikoopa's Fortress Riches? I was going back and forth if it was clear enough, but I settled on leaving it in.

For me, less figured it out and more Killed It Because O God A Magikoopa

Always killing those quickly

TelMarine wrote: »

Gundi - Banzai Rooms

@quovadis13 and others, was it hard to figure out that you needed to defeat a magikoopa to get the key to exit on Magikoopa's Fortress Riches? I was going back and forth if it was clear enough, but I settled on leaving it in.

I agree with The Sauce, if you get a chance to kill a magikoopa, you take it. And it wasn’t too hard in your level to get a clean shot. Even if I didn’t get it at first, it would have been right at the top of the list of things to check to hunt for the key. Putting the 10-coin in the plain bricks near the end got me as I was a few coins short and I didn’t initially think to check the normal bricks for hidden coins.