As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Every major patch they release for NMS, Hello Games sells millions of new copies. I expect this to be big money for them.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    millions, huh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    millions, huh

BILLIONS

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Billions of millions, possibly even thousands.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I'm pretty hyped for the NMS update but god dammit, the day after Rebel Galaxy Outlaw launches, you're killing me Smalls.

edited August 2019
    millions, huh

Millions worth of new copies, I meant to type(mobile), but yes they sold something like $24-25 million across all platforms the month of the Next update. (It was also the month the XBOne version came out, but I doubt it was a huge fraction of those sales)

Donnicton on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i got tricked into being excited for one of the NMS updates before

i've learned my lesson

they'll have to at least say they're getting rid of the stupid space cop drones to trick me again

zkHcp.jpg
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Kadith wrote: »

i've learned my lesson

they'll have to at least say they're getting rid of the stupid space cop drones to trick me again

Yeah for me the update I’d need is “we made the core gameplay loop fun”

Tube wrote: »

i've learned my lesson

but now it's in VR

VR makes everything fun and playable

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

i've learned my lesson

i played that core gameplay for two entire weekends

so clearly fun isn't a requirement i can honestly say i have

zkHcp.jpg
    300 hours in NMS standing testament to the fact that I hate fun.

grumpycat.meme

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Peewi wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    So what about mods that use/recreate characters like, say, Mario and Link? Surely Valve wouldn't want to "approve" those? Depending on how they handle it, the workshop becomes an even less interesting platform (it's already not great if you're modding a Bethesda game)

The support page about this specifically says it's to prevent scams. I don't think they're going to reject any items that weren't already getting deleted from the Workshop.

Isn't Skyrim the only Bethesda game with Workshop support? What's wrong with it?

Eh, it offers a fraction of a fraction of the "regular" modding via nexusmods

e: okay wow I reached a boss in Crysis (the thing you have to kill with the tac cannon), and the game crashed, and it does so again every time I click "load" in the menu. I guess this game is done? Is that the final boss?

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's actually the reason Crysis was used to stress-test systems back in the day. The final boss just looks at your rig and refuses to play until you upgrade to a better GPU.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have fond memories of playing that boss at about 12 fps after doing ok throughout, it's a remarkable uptick in the requirements

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I started playing Phantom Doctrine, the run-your-own-Cold War-spy-agency XCOM-a-like, this weekend and am legitimately baffled at how lukewarm its reception was at launch. I feel like I'm far enough into it that I feel like i've gotten a representative sample and, barring some late-in-the-day ugly surprise like a bugged level that deletes your hard drive, I...think it's actually kinda really neat?

I bounced hard off the developers' previous game, Hard West, which had a cool setting (an occult-flavored horror West) and interesting ideas (ditching XCOM's randomly-rolled combat for guaranteed hits and results, mitigated by the target's "luck," a resource that drains quickly and after it bottoms out, they start taking damage) let down by the execution (actual story content was threadbare, and the tactical gameplay was difficult and opaque in ways I didn't enjoy). It was a worthy effort and more noble and ambitious than the nine millionth visual novel, but it didn't quite land and was a purchase I ultimately somewhat regretted.

So based on that and the kind of C+ reviews it got, until the recent Steam sale, I'd given Phantom Doctrine a miss despite its subject matter (Cold War spying) being incredibly near and dear to my heart. But now I wish I hadn't waited. The graphics are kind of washed out, the animations are just servicable, and the UI can be occasionally opaque, but Phantom Doctrine gives me an experience I've wanted for more than twenty years and had never, ever gotten close to having.

You can pore over dossiers and intercepted memos and try to pick out keywords to assemble your picture of the enemy conspiracy, which you literally assemble by pinning photographs and names to a corkboard and connecting them with string like your own little Pepe Silvia wall. You can plan operations in reasonably exhaustive detail (even getting to do cool shit like scout the battlefield ahead of time, arrange for off-site support, etc) and then, later, when your spies are blasting their way out of the East German garrison or the Beirut bunker or whatever, they dive into an authentically-shitty rust-covered VW microbus to go speeding off into the night. Your main character and all your agents are customizable, with a range of floppy 70s hairdos, sideburns, moustaches, big-lapeled coats and tortoiseshell glasses. The whole thing drips with late-70s/early-80s Cold War, John le Carre rot and it speaks to me.

Combat is still kind of funky and non-random the way Hard West was, but...it works better here? I can't speak to what exactly makes the difference but it does feel quite different, like a better take on similar ideas. It probably also helps that the game isn't just combat, but allows for stealth and other sorts of creative problem-solving.

The overworld, spy management stuff is unreservedly terrific. It feels about halfway between the Geoscape in X-Com, the original, and XCOM/XCOM 2; threats appear to be generated truly at random instead of being metered out to you in careful monthly doses, and the game gives you a lot of meaty, interesting options for how to deal with problems (your hidden base is in danger of being discovered: do you hunt down the spy who's onto you, or do you try to distract or mislead him, or do you just pack up and relocate to Tripoli?) but it doesn't bury you in redundancy the way the original X-Com kind of did.

rRwz9.gif
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's actually the reason Crysis was used to stress-test systems back in the day. The final boss just looks at your rig and refuses to play until you upgrade to a better GPU.

Whatever crashed the game killed the savegame, after deleting it and loading an earlier checkpoint, it worked. The bossfight was mostly annoying (granted, the troubleshooting soured me on it as well). Game's alright though for a 2007 shooter

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Guess I'm done playing Oxygen Not Included. It stutters like mad now when I loaded my game. Did not do that before. Can't find anything current online to fix it. :(

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The final boss of Crysis is not great. I remember also running into crashes on it and having trouble getting the special gun to lock on.

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Guess I'm done playing Oxygen Not Included. It stutters like mad now when I loaded my game. Did not do that before. Can't find anything current online to fix it. :(

Maybe worth looking for Unity stuttering issues? ONI uses it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    I think it was this thread, there was a video of someone playing like a speed city builder game, where it was like an 8x8? tileset and you sorta got new buildings as you went. Each building would +/- nearby tiles towards a score at the top of each row. and as you completed the map it would replace and you'd start again but with your new unlocks?

Is that out ? and what was the name of it?

Concrete Jungle?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/400160/Concrete_Jungle/

Thank you this was it. Altho Islanders also looks good

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Peewi wrote: »
    The final boss of Crysis is not great. I remember also running into crashes on it and having trouble getting the special gun to lock on.

yeah it would do some kind of attack that would crash my pc when the fight got to the second phase

the solution eventually ended up being to fight the boss but not actually look at it when it was attacking, since that avoided whatever shader was causing the hard lock

which was challenging, but perhaps not quite in the way the developer was intending.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I started playing Phantom Doctrine, the run-your-own-Cold War-spy-agency XCOM-a-like, this weekend and am legitimately baffled at how lukewarm its reception was at launch. I feel like I'm far enough into it that I feel like i've gotten a representative sample and, barring some late-in-the-day ugly surprise like a bugged level that deletes your hard drive, I...think it's actually kinda really neat?

I bounced hard off the developers' previous game, Hard West, which had a cool setting (an occult-flavored horror West) and interesting ideas (ditching XCOM's randomly-rolled combat for guaranteed hits and results, mitigated by the target's "luck," a resource that drains quickly and after it bottoms out, they start taking damage) let down by the execution (actual story content was threadbare, and the tactical gameplay was difficult and opaque in ways I didn't enjoy). It was a worthy effort and more noble and ambitious than the nine millionth visual novel, but it didn't quite land and was a purchase I ultimately somewhat regretted.

So based on that and the kind of C+ reviews it got, until the recent Steam sale, I'd given Phantom Doctrine a miss despite its subject matter (Cold War spying) being incredibly near and dear to my heart. But now I wish I hadn't waited. The graphics are kind of washed out, the animations are just servicable, and the UI can be occasionally opaque, but Phantom Doctrine gives me an experience I've wanted for more than twenty years and had never, ever gotten close to having.

You can pore over dossiers and intercepted memos and try to pick out keywords to assemble your picture of the enemy conspiracy, which you literally assemble by pinning photographs and names to a corkboard and connecting them with string like your own little Pepe Silvia wall. You can plan operations in reasonably exhaustive detail (even getting to do cool shit like scout the battlefield ahead of time, arrange for off-site support, etc) and then, later, when your spies are blasting their way out of the East German garrison or the Beirut bunker or whatever, they dive into an authentically-shitty rust-covered VW microbus to go speeding off into the night. Your main character and all your agents are customizable, with a range of floppy 70s hairdos, sideburns, moustaches, big-lapeled coats and tortoiseshell glasses. The whole thing drips with late-70s/early-80s Cold War, John le Carre rot and it speaks to me.

Combat is still kind of funky and non-random the way Hard West was, but...it works better here? I can't speak to what exactly makes the difference but it does feel quite different, like a better take on similar ideas. It probably also helps that the game isn't just combat, but allows for stealth and other sorts of creative problem-solving.

The overworld, spy management stuff is unreservedly terrific. It feels about halfway between the Geoscape in X-Com, the original, and XCOM/XCOM 2; threats appear to be generated truly at random instead of being metered out to you in careful monthly doses, and the game gives you a lot of meaty, interesting options for how to deal with problems (your hidden base is in danger of being discovered: do you hunt down the spy who's onto you, or do you try to distract or mislead him, or do you just pack up and relocate to Tripoli?) but it doesn't bury you in redundancy the way the original X-Com kind of did.

Hey this is real good to hear

I had also given this game a pass due to its lukewarm reception and the fact that I overall bounced off of the theoretically cool Hard West

But now I might look back into it

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ugh, satisfactory has been very unstable for me but now (right about when I got to coal and level 3 conveyers) I'm getting less than five minutes per go. And it crashes in a way that forces me to restart because it somehow makes it so my laptop can't detect my monitors.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

That's really odd. The Klei forum support has been pretty solid through Early Access, it might be worth posting a bug report there.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Hey this is real good to hear

I had also given this game a pass due to its lukewarm reception and the fact that I overall bounced off of the theoretically cool Hard West

But now I might look back into it

From what I remember of Waypoint and Giant Bomb talking about, it was a mix of things that, at launch, made the combat more difficult to understand and play. Them not explaining how some abilities and parts of the combat worked very well, that the developers (at the time) said they were gonna patch in. And the combat flipping between trivial and really difficult.

This is all half-remembered stuff though.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The main criticism I recall was that there was almost no progression in tactics. Mission 30 was really similar to Mission 5.

That did deter me, since part of what I like about XCom is the escalating arms race.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    i picked up red hot vengeance by way of a free game and it has turned out to be a good time killer. essentially an isometric hotline miami with (even more!) barebones graphics. capping russian mobsters to a pounding techno soundtrack never gets old though!

also picked up a game called undefeated in the free list. seems to be a superman simulator akin to prototype, if somewhat stripped down and with a focus on rescue over combat.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's neat and all, but the mod community has that shit on lock.

sig.gif
    edited August 2019
    I wonder what would have to be enhanced tbh. Maybe the enemy models, but the textures and look of SS2 is pretty stark and scales up fairly well

either way, I'm down, though I suspect it's mainly being made to secure some money for The System Shock or whatever the remake is called

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

That's really odd. The Klei forum support has been pretty solid through Early Access, it might be worth posting a bug report there.

I changed my monitor refresh back to 144 and now the game works again for some reason. There are some slight hitches but they go away after a moment.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Out today:

Aug 12 - Anodyne (Adventure, Indie, RPG, Exploration)

Anodyne was really, really good. The sequel seems to be great, I just hope it's not quite as hard as the first one

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

I changed my monitor refresh back to 144 and now the game works again for some reason. There are some slight hitches but they go away after a moment.

If you're on 3x speed (like I assume most people are), I get pauses basically any time an existing pipe system gets updated as it recalculates flow. Maybe keep an eye on that? Or if you have flickering power and a suit checkpoint, I've noticed some spikes as all the dupes reassign themselves because they can't leave the base, then can, then can't, then can, etc.

Oh man

System Shock 2 came out 20 years ago

excuse me while I go yell at a cloud somewhere

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Oh man

System Shock 2 came out 20 years ago

excuse me while I go yell at a cloud somewhere

System Shock? Is that a Bioshock sequel or something?

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I have a locking USB drive I got at like, a trade show or something? I'm talking girl's diary lock, you can pop it with a hard look

but if someone found it, it's all "what did he want to hide so much that his USB drive locks?"

the only thing on it is a copy of a copy of the System Shock 2 folder from my old computer, and a DOS-box installer.

This patch, known as NewDark, appeared on a French Thief fan forum called Ariane4ever. It was the work of an unknown coder simply known as ‘Le Corbeau’. Le Corbeau was a newcomer to the forum but had somehow delivered a patch that brought all the games made on the Dark Engine up to modern standards, releasing System Shock 2, both Thief games, and the editor DromED from their 90s technological prison. They’d even updated the demos.

The impact of NewDark can’t be understated. The patch notes were so ludicrously complete, a laundry list of fixes that entire communities had dedicated years attempting to hack around, that people worried the patch was fake, potentially even a virus. But it was real. Hard limits coded into the engine had been increased, codecs changed, resolutions were updated, bugs squashed. Even the editor was future-proofed: “DromEd will no longer stop working after 03:14:07 on Tuesday, 19 January 2038”. System Shock 2 was modernised.

But how had Le Corbeau pulled it off? The only reasonable explanation was that they had access to the source code. To trace that, we have to skip back in time again, this time to 2010. A modder on the Dreamcast Talk forum announced that they had a devkit Dreamcast. After a frustrating attempt to get into the unit’s hard drive, he finally managed to dump its contents. But that find wasn’t the important one here.

More interesting for the history of the NewDark mod was an old disc in the bag the machine came in. That disc contained the source code to the Looking Glass games. Though it didn’t provide immediate access to Dark Engine’s secret vaults, it was the start.

this story is wild
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/12/no-one-knows-who-is-patching-system-shock-2/

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wonder if rebel galaxy outlaw will unlock tonight at midnight or like tomorrow afternoon

This discussion has been closed.