As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I was a good husband this morning noticed a aerodactyl raid was up in the park and drove out there this morning to get my wife her last meltan research thingy. Plus I got myself an aerodactyl. Now if only a fucking ditto would show up.

I got my ditto after nearly six months of hunting and then caught a second three days later.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I was a good husband this morning noticed a aerodactyl raid was up in the park and drove out there this morning to get my wife her last meltan research thingy. Plus I got myself an aerodactyl. Now if only a fucking ditto would show up.

I got my ditto after nearly six months of hunting and then caught a second three days later.

This is me and fighting pokemon after I finish a research. "Finally the fifth one! And now 5 more are just around because fuck you".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ok good god, how the fuck do you defeat the Rocket Grunts

Am I just bad at pokemon? I think I'm just bad at pokemon, and all my pokemon suck, because I straight up can't beat these guys.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

Am I just bad at pokemon? I think I'm just bad at pokemon, and all my pokemon suck, because I straight up can't beat these guys.

I really just lean hard in to my two rays and praying.

Ray Ray Pray is basically my go to.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular

What level are you/your mons? Type advantage is a big deal in the Rocket battles. If you're lower level and don't have the right counters, then it's possible that snorlax/dratini fights will just wreck you.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If the Rocket grunt gives you an obvious clue into the typing, lean into countering that.

But I'm level 40 with a good number and variety of strong Pokemon and I STILL get wrecked much of the time when they give a generic statement. Sometimes you just have to live long enough to figure out the lineup, then counter them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Even just jamming my 3 3k metagrosses can cut tight sometimes, so if you haven't taken the time to powergame one of the good community days it's probably rough.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I have found that due to the fights scaling on trainer level, and the crazy trainer level XP curve, if you are sub 30 there is a good chance you won’t have the types and levels invested in your Pokémon to beat the grunts.

Otherwise make sure you focus on resisting the grunts damage types more than you focus on getting bonus damage multiplyer

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My best Tyranatar wrecks most of the rocket fights. A few give him problems, so paying attention to type is important.

• Options
    I think the one I have the most problems with is snorlax/snorlax/dragonite, mostly because snorlax has a really fast quick move. A team of Smackdown TTars (or even ttars with stone edge as the charge) will still usually do fine against it though. My go-to team right now is 2x smackdown ttar + palkia with dragon breath because dragon breath is fast and the dragon typing helps with most types. But if you have a team of metagross like Escape Goat does then it should still work out fine for the most part, Steel types in general have good survivability so it'll take a little longer but it works.

• Options
    RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I know that the typing was technically correct (the best kind of correct), but it did not stop me from being annoyed that a grunt this morning told me about his birds and then fought me with Golbat, Golbat, Gyarados.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I don't know why I never thought to look for a thread in here!
    I need (again) a friend for a special research. I am chromdom 0121 3005 5201 if anyone cares to add me, or if you want to post it, I will add you. I am a pretty good friend, please like me! I walk daily, and send presents whenever possible.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    That last Gyarados in the Rocket Grunt's Flying loadout is a damn pain. Even Kyogre folds under its Waterfall.
    I'd planned to put in Ludicolo for the double resist to water, but the Scyther in the second position eliminated the first two and Ludicolo's weak against bug stuff. Damn.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm on vacation, so I haven't fought the new rocket teams but gyarados should fold to electric mons. Magnezone/raikou/electivire/luxray. Maybe even jolteon although that could be hard.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Just hatched a Party Hat Pichu from a friend egg, so if anyone was wondering if that was a thing...it is!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I looked for Ditto for about a month for the 2 research goals before I finally found one. Next day I found 4. Such bullshit.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Just hatched a Party Hat Pichu from a friend egg, so if anyone was wondering if that was a thing...it is!

Got an Ash Cap one in mine.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Got an Ash Cap one in mine.

I got both! I think it depends on when you got the egg, they've been rotating which day gets which hat pikachu for the GOFest event.

edit: I think my friends list is getting to the point where over half of them are out of state/country. Knowing my luck that's probably where I'm gonna get all my lucky friends from, lol

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    My wife got a cool pokemon from one of you canadian pokegoers eggs! She wanted me to thank you, but she can't remember who it was so thank you mysterious canadian egg giver!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    What was it?

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Focus on resistance and defense rather than super effective attacks. Oh, and like @Tomanta said, a buffed out Tyrantar is quite often the answer.

[edit] Oh, and there also was a glitch - I'm not sure if it's still happening - where if you didn't have an Ultra and Master League team pre-selected in the Pokemon menu, it kept you restricted to Great League-level pokes that would get their asses kicked.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I looked for Ditto for about a month for the 2 research goals before I finally found one. Next day I found 4. Such bullshit.

Same.
    I think non-regular spawns like the Team Rocket random spawns prevented Ditto from spawning.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    What was it?

Riolu

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GOT THAT DITTO BABY!

Next step, evolve a magikarp well fuck balls.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm still working on my Magikarp. They haven't been a more common spawn in quite some time, so I just set one as my buddy. The candy will arrive eventually.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm still working on my Magikarp. They haven't been a more common spawn in quite some time, so I just set one as my buddy. The candy will arrive eventually.

Yeah that's my plan, I first have to do something else. But its just nice to be on the next step where there are things I can do instead of the ditto step where its like "well pray you get it"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Sorta makes me wish you could trade candy between players. I gots over a thousand magikarp candy waiting for a shiny karp to show up here…

Also, with the Rocket fights, when it gives you bonus premier balls for the number of Pokémon left on your team, it doesn’t matter how much HP they have so you can effectively ‘cheat’ that value by swapping pokes just before they faint. Good timing is required.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Woo! Another raid day this coming Saturday

Last one was a ton of fun just a swarm of Pokémon Go players moving from raid to raid

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's never people doing the weekly raid hour in my hometown, but I got out of work late last Wednesday and decided to go to the town center near my office, since there's 4 or 5 gyms squished all together there. Found a group of a little over a dozen people, and we went from gym to gym, and then did a little driving to hit a few more before the timers expired. I managed to catch 4 Rays (no shinies), but they were decent and I was able to trade one to my fiancee. I might plan on working a bit later on Wednesdays in the future.

The only other 5 star raids I've been able to complete was while we were on vacation to Disney last fall and she and I each managed to catch 1 Mewtwo each.

• Options
    Russad wrote: »
    There's never people doing the weekly raid hour in my hometown, but I got out of work late last Wednesday and decided to go to the town center near my office, since there's 4 or 5 gyms squished all together there. Found a group of a little over a dozen people, and we went from gym to gym, and then did a little driving to hit a few more before the timers expired. I managed to catch 4 Rays (no shinies), but they were decent and I was able to trade one to my fiancee. I might plan on working a bit later on Wednesdays in the future.

The only other 5 star raids I've been able to complete was while we were on vacation to Disney last fall and she and I each managed to catch 1 Mewtwo each.
    No Discord or Facebook group for organizing?

That was the biggest help for me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Here's some detailed info on Team Rocket lineups and rewards. Turns out they can differ by the gender of the grunt. Also, you're most likely to get the first pokemon as a reward, slight chance for the second (though not on all lineups) and never the third.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Beat my first Rayquaza raid today! Saw a raid was ending soon, so I decided to see if anyone was running it and was able to jump into an open lobby with two other people. Caught the sucker on the first ball, not shiny sadly but still awesome to have.

Also got a Fast TM from the raid, so I used that on my shiny Groudon so now he has Mud Shot/Solar Beam, which is apparently the moveset of choice. Pretty pleased with the whole deal!

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So I had that deoxys raid today... GOTTEM! Only a two star but who cares!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Russad wrote: »

No Discord or Facebook group for organizing?

That was the biggest help for me

Nothing really in my area. I'm too close to Boston to find anything that isn't "hey, come to Boston!" but that generally doesn't mesh with my work schedule.

• Options
    I do feel bad there was a sweet older woman at the raid that didn't get the deoxys her second time missing the catch. I didn't think it was that hard to catch, but I've been f'ing lucky so I kept my mouth shut.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I just found out the local discord information a month or two ago and it made a huge difference in raiding for my wife, son, and me. Even in my smaller city there are still tons of people playing

• Options
    Yeah my wife is in a facebook group that does raids, we're going to do the caravan this weekend for the raid day on saturday. Well at least as long as my son will allow us before he whines.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I work 2/3 Saturdays until 540 so most community events are not something I can do which really sucks. I would love to get a Suicine but I am going to have to hope my wife and son can snag an extra for me.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I do feel bad there was a sweet older woman at the raid that didn't get the deoxys her second time missing the catch. I didn't think it was that hard to catch, but I've been f'ing lucky so I kept my mouth shut.

Wow, EX mons aren’t guaranteed catches????

I feel like all my M2s and Deoxii were all first-ball catches...

• Options

Wow, EX mons aren’t guaranteed catches????

I feel like all my M2s and Deoxii were all first-ball catches...

They are not. Like me I golden berry'd on each throw and it took me I want to say 4? Supposedly they have a higher catch rate than other legendary raids, but they are not guaranteed. As that poor woman found out twice!

pleasepaypreacher.net