As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I had no idea the Guinness Book of World Records operated as it did. They've been cozying up to authoritarians and corporations to provide promotion via made-up bullshit records in exchange for a fuck-load of money.

I was going to be okay with Oliver just highlighting a nutjob being nutty but when it became a piece putting GWR on blast it got even better.

Edit - Oh hey they actually complained about the piece on the internet. Y'know, the biggest mistake any organization can do about a comedy driven show.

And Guinness has already taken down both that tweet and their official response page to the segment on the website. Took less than six hours.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    edit: old old post on the daily mash TV show.. drafts.
    Mayabird wrote: »
    I had no idea the Guinness Book of World Records operated as it did. They've been cozying up to authoritarians and corporations to provide promotion via made-up bullshit records in exchange for a fuck-load of money.

I was going to be okay with Oliver just highlighting a nutjob being nutty but when it became a piece putting GWR on blast it got even better.

Edit - Oh hey they actually complained about the piece on the internet. Y'know, the biggest mistake any organization can do about a comedy driven show.

And Guinness has already taken down both that tweet and their official response page to the segment on the website. Took less than six hours.

Response page was still up as far as I could tell. It's even twice on their latest news page.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We don't talk about Hasan Minhaj in here really, but this was a good cross-section of our interests of late night hosts with gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLAi_cmly6Q

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Patriot Act is one of the best comedy news shows on right now, imo

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Some More News went way outside of its comfort zone and did a video of...good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0AyePFD4So

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cody shaved his beard and with it his cynical hatred was gone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I think it speaks to the state of our current society that he immediately is growing it back.

MorganV wrote: »

I think it speaks to the state of our current society that he immediately is growing it back.

As a person with a beard, sometimes you just want to shave it off to start it new. Kind of like getting rid of your grass to grow new stronger grass.

Or he was lazy one morning shaved unevenly and had to burn down the forest to recover it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

As a person with a beard, sometimes you just want to shave it off to start it new. Kind of like getting rid of your grass to grow new stronger grass.

Or he was lazy one morning shaved unevenly and had to burn down the forest to recover it.

I prefer my take.

"Hey! It's a new day! Time for a change! Time for a new outlook on life! Time to clean away the shadows of the past."
    *one day passes in Donald Trump's America*
    "Yeah, that was a mistake."

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I just got caught up on Last Week Tonight, god damn John, that World Record shit took one hell of an amazing turn.

You know I’ve never actually seen something murdered on a show before, but I imagine that’s what it’d look like.

Go fuck yourself GWR, “family orientated” my ass.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Some More News went way outside of its comfort zone and did a video of...good news.

tbh I just can't even with these videos

They feel like something a college freshman would create

I don't think I've even seen one that I really disagreed with either. It's just the style makes me cringe for 20 minutes straight.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just got caught up on Last Week Tonight, god damn John, that World Record shit took one hell of an amazing turn.

You know I’ve never actually seen something murdered on a show before, but I imagine that’s what it’d look like.

I sincerely love that man.

Fun fact: When I filled out a job application for Google several years ago, one of the questions was if you had a world record.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    His beard is back, don't worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72hIwxtT7W8

edited August 2019
    Man he grows hair like I do.

Just not on his head... also like I do *weeps for my youth*

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Fun fact: When I filled out a job application for Google several years ago, one of the questions was if you had a world record.

I think companies ask goofy questions to get a sense of your personality, like "Do you have a sense of humor?" rather than expecting a good candidate to have won the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest.

Seth Meyers had on George Takei to talk about his time in American Internment camps. It's hard to watch at times, but we need to recognize what we did, and what we're doing.

https://youtu.be/3iLvLhy1RUQ

https://youtu.be/AqfGE9r5h5s

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

I think companies ask goofy questions to get a sense of your personality, like "Do you have a sense of humor?" rather than expecting a good candidate to have won the Coney Island Hot Dog eating contest.

Why do businesses insist on pretending we want to work for any reason other than not starving?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Why do businesses insist on pretending we want to work for any reason other than not starving?

So they can exploit us.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

That's very cynical. Would you like to work on the Daily Show or Last Week Tonight or one of these shows we are discussing?

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

That's very cynical. Would you like to work on the Daily Show or Last Week Tonight or one of these shows we are discussing?

Sure, if it means I won't starve.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    My wife almost had me turn off Last Week Tonight because Hasan Minhaj talked about Mr Crazy-Dictator on his show first.

By the end we were both very glad we didn't.

Sure, if it means I won't starve.

Realistically people have preferences for work, not entirely dependent on salary, which is why more people dream of being on Broadway than Wall Street (despite the latter having a better chance of not starving.)

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

tbh I just can't even with these videos

They feel like something a college freshman would create

I don't think I've even seen one that I really disagreed with either. It's just the style makes me cringe for 20 minutes straight.

The YouTube is way more tolerable than his podcast, where he really goes off

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Tonight's The Check In actually hit directly on the nose for me, as far as proximity to effect goes. My mother and step-father are truckers - and surprise surprise, Trump voters. I never bothered to look into what was going on with all those promises to truckers but Jesus jumped up Christ have they been fucked over. They removed the ability for truckers to claim a lot of expenses, which adds the fuck up. Food, bathing, etc. My folks aren't in great financial status to begin with, and while it's largely my mother's fucking fault because she's a fucking huge idiot (y'all are welcome to say as such even without details), even she doesn't deserved to get screwed over this way. Like my disdain for my family does not override my views on workers' rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv-bbacVAA0

Henroid on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Not technically a late night show, but A Black Lady Sketch Show has two episodes up on HBO and was created by Robin Thede, stars Ashley Nicole Black, and has Amber Ruffin credited as a writer.

If that's not enough to tempt you, then I don't know what you want from me.

Not technically a late night show, but A Black Lady Sketch Show has two episodes up on HBO and was created by Robin Thede, stars Ashley Nicole Black, and has Amber Ruffin credited as a writer.

If that's not enough to tempt you, then I don't know what you want from me.

They had one of their sketch's on youtube and it was hilarious.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Veevee wrote: »
    My wife almost had me turn off Last Week Tonight because Hasan Minhaj talked about Mr Crazy-Dictator on his show first.

By the end we were both very glad we didn't.
    or when John Oliver does it better in two weeks

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    https://youtu.be/U4f1q41LtUk

What in the holy fuck

I can’t think of a single reason why a married couple would befriend a pool boy, take him with them on their private jet and to their home, and offer to finance their business for more than a million dollars

Outside of the obvious

And that’s before you’re talking about a homophobic religious leader and the fact that the business is an LGBTQ friendly bar

WHAT

Like at best two evangelicals were blackmailed because of their personal sexy pics, which I don’t wish on anyone and nobody deserves, but Christ what a fucking world that somehow this ended up with Michael fucking Cohen

Also when did this happen? This feels like an old clip but it seems to have been uploaded recently

Prohass on
    Tonight's The Check In actually hit directly on the nose for me, as far as proximity to effect goes. My mother and step-father are truckers - and surprise surprise, Trump voters. I never bothered to look into what was going on with all those promises to truckers but Jesus jumped up Christ have they been fucked over. They removed the ability for truckers to claim a lot of expenses, which adds the fuck up. Food, bathing, etc. My folks aren't in great financial status to begin with, and while it's largely my mother's fucking fault because she's a fucking huge idiot (y'all are welcome to say as such even without details), even she doesn't deserved to get screwed over this way. Like my disdain for my family does not override my views on workers' rights.

Jesus, that’s horrible.

Out of curiosity, how is your family coping? Are they realizing they got screwed or doubling down?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/U4f1q41LtUk

What in the holy fuck

I can’t think of a single reason why a married couple would befriend a pool boy, take him with them on their private jet and to their home, and offer to finance their business for more than a million dollars

Outside of the obvious

And that’s before you’re talking about a homophobic religious leader and the fact that the business is an LGBTQ friendly bar

WHAT

Like at best two evangelicals were blackmailed because of their personal sexy pics, which I don’t wish on anyone and nobody deserves, but Christ what a fucking world that somehow this ended up with Michael fucking Cohen

Also when did this happen? This feels like an old clip but it seems to have been uploaded recently

The pool boy nonsense happened sometime prior to Falwell's endorsement of Trump but I guess the details (and... Tom Arnold... secret recording?!) are recently-discovered.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular

Jesus, that’s horrible.

Out of curiosity, how is your family coping? Are they realizing they got screwed or doubling down?

My dad was a truck driver and relied on his "home location" being as close to the big freight routes as possible. He lived in Kansas City, MO for a while and eventually moved outside Reno, NV before leaving the industry and dying penniless from lung cancer in Springfield, MO.

Truckers are weird. I don't know if it's a thing that can really be described. Most are based in the South/Midwest but the industry is going to slowly die and I expect Trump's promises are a branch to grab as you fall off the cliff. Fear does lots of illogical things.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

Jesus, that’s horrible.

My dad was a truck driver and relied on his "home location" being as close to the big freight routes as possible. He lived in Kansas City, MO for a while and eventually moved outside Reno, NV before leaving the industry and dying penniless from lung cancer in Springfield, MO.

Truckers are weird. I don't know if it's a thing that can really be described. Most are based in the South/Midwest but the industry is going to slowly die and I expect Trump's promises are a branch to grab as you fall off the cliff. Fear does lots of illogical things.

My grandfather was a trucker as well for about the first 8 or so years of my life. Though I believe he saved up enough for retirement that he didn't have to work (plus they were supported by my uncle, who although was a terrible lawyer, was still a lawyer) he was someone who couldn't stand the quiet retirement of days at home and only the visits from his only grandson to shake things up. Of course he was also on Omaha Beach, so I wouldn't be surprised if he preferred being by himself for long periods of time as well.

steam_sig.png
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Trucking, especially long haul trucking is going to be the first piece of automated driving to be implemented on a large scale.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    No worries of automated trucks in the near future, though. The tech isn't there yet. One day it will be.

Oh absolutely!

The second automated driving becomes a thing, it won’t be consumers jumping on it, but industry. I wonder how much of the shipping industry realizes that all this work on driverless cars is research into their replacement?

steam_sig.png

When automated trucks become a reality, we could see a change in road usage where big trucks exclusively drive in the early hours of the morning when there is little human traffic - easier for the AI, no getting stuck in traffic jams. That might be a really good thing as it'll mean human drivers don't need to deal with those giant trucks that are so hard to navigate around anymore.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    When automated trucks become a reality, we could see a change in road usage where big trucks exclusively drive in the early hours of the morning when there is little human traffic - easier for the AI, no getting stuck in traffic jams. That might be a really good thing as it'll mean human drivers don't need to deal with those giant trucks that are so hard to navigate around anymore.

Traffic isn't that much a problem on the 10 between Pheonix and Dallas. That's where this stuff is going to start. Straight lines, little/predictable traffic behavior, almost no weather.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Reminds me of that scene in "Logan" with the driverless trucks.