As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    I feel like I need to eat in the morning and at night (going to bed hungry is super hard for me), but skipping lunch every now and then is pretty easy.

So part of the trick of IF is that it's one long fast each day, not multiple short ones. The general consensus across the sources that I've read is that it takes 12-14 hours after your last meal for AMPK activation to really go up. Having two 2-hour windows separated by 10 hours is not going to elicit the same effect as one 4-hour window separated by 20 hours, or even an 8-hour window separated by 16 hours.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think I need to shift my eating around a bit. I wake up at 3:30am, go to work, get home and have breakfast which is usually toast, go back to bed for another 2 or 3 hours, have lunch which is often toast again or something similar, then in the evening have dinner which tends to be a massive portion of pasta or something else carb heavy, and then immediately go to bed. I'm thinking I might start skipping breakfast, and having something bigger for lunch, and only a small portion of dinner.

I saw the doc today and went on her magic machine which told me since starting HRT I've gained 2kg of muscle, and 3.5kg of... not muscle.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think I need to shift my eating around a bit. I wake up at 3:30am, go to work, get home and have breakfast which is usually toast, go back to bed for another 2 or 3 hours, have lunch which is often toast again or something similar, then in the evening have dinner which tends to be a massive portion of pasta or something else carb heavy, and then immediately go to bed. I'm thinking I might start skipping breakfast, and having something bigger for lunch, and only a small portion of dinner.

I saw the doc today and went on her magic machine which told me since starting HRT I've gained 2kg of muscle, and 3.5kg of... not muscle.

Sounds like your diet is very carb heavy, I would try working in some fats/proteins that you like. Will give your body more to work with and they tend to make you feel full longer than carbs.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We always have some kind of meat with dinner. I would like to eat less meat though, and struggle with finding other proteins that I like that doesn't just mean eating tons of eggs.

• Options
    We always have some kind of meat with dinner. I would like to eat less meat though, and struggle with finding other proteins that I like that doesn't just mean eating tons of eggs.

My girlfriend is vegetarian so I have been brainstorming ways for her to get more protein as well as my go-to’s are chicken breast, tuna and eggs.

Dairy products can be good, Greek yogurt especially. Tempeh/Seitan/Tofu can all be good. Edamame and various types of beans like lentils. Almonds, chia seeds, and quinoa.

There are some choices out there but what you what to incorporate and how is up to you :)

• Options
    I thought yoghurt wasn't great for you because it's full of sugar? I do like edamame beans though. And I like lentils and other beans when other people prepare them I just always make them boring and unappetising.

Also eating healthy is just so much more hassle. Like having to soak pulses or press moisture out of tofu. Which is why I just eat toast and cereal a lot, because it's quick.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    There's a pretty wide variety of yogurts on the market in regards to sugar/fat/even sodium content. Just check what's going into yours before you buy.

Making your own yogurt is also very very easy and gives you a lot of granular control over what's in it (I don't sweeten mine at all but I do use full-fat milk so fight me I guess).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Had an attempt at a healthy lunch using stuff already in the house. Couscous cooked in low-salt vegetable stock, leftover tomato and mint salad that was in the fridge, green peas, a few more mint leaves because I like mint, and a small handful of grated cheddar, all mixed up into a weird mess. It's... not awful?

Also this morning I had overnight oats for the first time and it was fine but wasn't really any quicker than hot porridge and i think I prefer them hot. Worth experimenting though.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    For the beans not sucking the biggest secrets are: saute some onions/garlic/whatever combo of peppers, celery, onion, carrots you like etc etc to build up a flavor base in the pot, throw your water(or preferably stock/bullion) and beans on top of that. Beans are just little sponges, they will taste of what they cook in, so think soup. And fuck the haters, bullion (cubes or paste, just find one you like) is delicious and so much cheaper than stock. Sure making stock would be great but I find even if I make gallons I go through it fast, and it can be a pain in the summer.
    For a specific thing, my partner can't eat sausages for reasons, so I came up with a lentil substitute.
    Make some brown butter, and fry up some sage, red pepper flakes and garlic in it, and use this brown butter and fried bits as a stir in at the end to some brown or green lentils done up in chicken stock with some extra black pepper. Use a shit ton of sage, the not so secret ingredient of "what breakfast sausage tastes like" to really push the idea I've also used some ground turkey that I'll brown up pretty hard before hand. But it's a simple delicious way to prepare lentils and you can make a biiig batch.

• Options
    I thought yoghurt wasn't great for you because it's full of sugar? I do like edamame beans though. And I like lentils and other beans when other people prepare them I just always make them boring and unappetising.

Also eating healthy is just so much more hassle. Like having to soak pulses or press moisture out of tofu. Which is why I just eat toast and cereal a lot, because it's quick.

For 1 cup the yogurt I get is 210 calories, 7g sugar and 20g protein. Also 11g fat. So all pretty solid ratio wise.

Also sugar in general isn’t inherently bad, added sugar is to be avoided but natural sugars are kind of inevitable in a healthy diet. Apples and bananas, which I hope no one would call unhealthy, are around 19 and 14 g of sugar respectively.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You can also find yogurts that don't add additional sugar, which really brings down the carbs.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I fucking live off of 2% fat Greek yogurt

It is a staple of my existence

poo
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I really like Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. Very low in sugar (with no artificial sugar added), and no fat, though they do have a few low fat varieties too. It's a very thick yogurt though, so if you're not super into that (like me) it's really easy to just add a few tablespoons of milk or soymilk to make it a smoother consistency.

the wook wrote: »
    I feel like I need to eat in the morning and at night (going to bed hungry is super hard for me), but skipping lunch every now and then is pretty easy.

So part of the trick of IF is that it's one long fast each day, not multiple short ones. The general consensus across the sources that I've read is that it takes 12-14 hours after your last meal for AMPK activation to really go up. Having two 2-hour windows separated by 10 hours is not going to elicit the same effect as one 4-hour window separated by 20 hours, or even an 8-hour window separated by 16 hours.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to do intermittent fasting here, I know I can't do that. I get the shakes and feel nauseous if I don't eat at least twice a day, or on some days, every 4 or 5 hours.

• Options
    I think I'm going to have a go at going vegetarian again. Been considering it for a while and figure if I'm going to try and improve my diet I may as well do both at once.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I am calorie counting for the first time in my life. I've lost eleven pounds.

It was a pain having to enter everything in, but a) Wyborn is helping measure, b) this keeps me from habit snacking, and c) it really isn't that bad with a smartphone

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

It was a pain having to enter everything in, but a) Wyborn is helping measure, b) this keeps me from habit snacking, and c) it really isn't that bad with a smartphone

Any caloric surprises you found while tracking?

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    webguy20 wrote: »

Any caloric surprises you found while tracking?

I used to think flour tortillas were like.. Basically nothing, calorie-wise. I was wrong

I guess once you squish the air out of bread it's a tortilla

Oh, and I found out the caloric content of the lemon bars I love to bake and through careful portioning, I managed to have one square a day, still keeping to my numbers, until the tray was finished

No regrets

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular

It's definitely tedious, but eventually you just become more adept at eyeballing things and don't have to be as meticulous about actually logging everything.

• Options

It's definitely tedious, but eventually you just become more adept at eyeballing things and don't have to be as meticulous about actually logging everything.

Also realizing that any estimate you eyeball in a restaurant is about only 1/3 of the actual calorie content.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I was also unhappy at the tortilla trap. Oh this is not adding...oh that's not pulling it's weight at alll.
    Not talking about a fresh corn tortilla obv, that gets a pass.

• Options
    I eat ~4 burritos a week but I definitely had to budget them tortilla calories into my accounting

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I have good tortilla news! Mission's 'carb balance tortillas' are less than a hundred calories a pop and I don't think they taste bad at all. Also only 6 carbs if that matters. They make up my normal breakfast of either an egg and salsa wrap or a turkey/spinach/cheese wrap.

After somehow ballooning up by 12 pounds during vacation, I've lost six of it again over the last five days. Getting back until the gym tonight too.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I've still got a ways to go. But I have cheekbones now and my old old carpenter jorts fit and the My Hero Academia jersey I got is really tight but I wasn't expecting to fit into it at all.

Edit: it's not a lot, but I'm happy with it. I've been going through a bit lately so it's nice to feel like I'm winning one I guess

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah there ARE lower calorie tortillas out there, you just have to search for them a bit (speaking as somebody who also loves wraps and came to the sad realization that they're often not much better than slices of bread). Tortillas branded as "low carb" tend to be higher in protein and lower in overall calories, compared to other brands. I really like the "La Tortilla Factory" brand, they've got a lot of really great and healthy varieties that taste really good. Brand can be a little hard to find, but it's worth it!

https://www.latortillafactory.com/

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've still got a ways to go. But I have cheekbones now and my old old carpenter jorts fit and the My Hero Academia jersey I got is really tight but I wasn't expecting to fit into it at all.

Edit: it's not a lot, but I'm happy with it. I've been going through a bit lately so it's nice to feel like I'm winning one I guess

Mate you are winning at life, and you are winning hard. Great work!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Now saying the IF stuff isn’t accurate; I just think it’s funny that when I was looking into dieting stuff a few years back it was all eat something every hour on the hour.

I am pretty close to IF already, eat everything in around a 10 hour window just due to preference, so it would be a pretty small change for me to make.

Edit: from the opening of that above article, hmm:

“Studies in humans, almost across the board, have shown that IF is safe and incredibly effective, but really no more effective than any other diet. In addition, many people find it difficult to fast.”

Edit 2: but then the rest of the article talks about the benefits of IF? Bwah? Weirdly written.

IF feels like the latest fad in dieting. I don't mean fad that it doesn't work or there isn't science behind it; it's just that it's new so it's getting more pub than other methods. If it's easier to do than other methods for folks, that's great. But figuring out your body and what works best is the number 1 thing. For example, for me, I can't do morning to afternoon IF. Not sure if it's my body type or what, but I need food at night or I won't get sleep. Even on my current diet I'm right on the edge of not getting good sleep due to lack of food at night.

There's studies around slow digesting protein before bed to help with overall muscle growth. There are tons of studies on 5-6 small meals per day to keep your metabolism going at it's peak longer, thus burning more fat. There are a lot of options and I'd imagine just like a puzzle, you need to see what the other pieces are to get to a place you like and is sustainable.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    There's a pretty wide variety of yogurts on the market in regards to sugar/fat/even sodium content. Just check what's going into yours before you buy.

Making your own yogurt is also very very easy and gives you a lot of granular control over what's in it (I don't sweeten mine at all but I do use full-fat milk so fight me I guess).

Full-fat milk is better for you than skimmed milk. There are certain fatty acids produced by ruminants that aren't easily available from other dietary sources, and these fatty acids correlate with positive health effects.

Trans-palmitoleic acid and vaccenic acid are two trans fats found in the dairy products. It's hard to separate the effects of the two, as vaccenic acid can be converted to trans-palmitoleic acid in humans. (https://watermark.silverchair.com/431.pdf).

A few references regarding trans-palmitoleic acid

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056495/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3607658/

• Options
    Just done day 1 of Couch to 5k. It was both not as bad as I was expecting and also a living nightmare.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Full-fat milk is better for you than skimmed milk. There are certain fatty acids produced by ruminants that aren't easily available from other dietary sources, and these fatty acids correlate with positive health effects.

Trans-palmitoleic acid and vaccenic acid are two trans fats found in the dairy products. It's hard to separate the effects of the two, as vaccenic acid can be converted to trans-palmitoleic acid in humans. (https://watermark.silverchair.com/431.pdf).

The whole "fat is bad for you" from the sugar industry has fucked up a lot of dietary recommendations in general. People are legit scared of whole milk and 2% now, and if they drink it regularly their hearts will explode.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

The whole "fat is bad for you" from the sugar industry has fucked up a lot of dietary recommendations in general. People are legit scared of whole milk and 2% now, and if they drink it regularly their hearts will explode.
    Before I started IF, I was consuming about a half gallon of whole milk every day. All of my lipid panels were in the 'normal to good' range.

You can expect similar results with a whole gallon of half milk.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've never understood that, even as a kid.

Full-fat milk is 96% fat-free! That's already better than most "low-fat" food options! Plus, the fats in milk are good for you! They contain calcium!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

I've never understood that, even as a kid.

Full-fat milk is 96% fat-free! That's already better than most "low-fat" food options! Plus, the fats in milk are good for you! They contain calcium!

Sugar lobbies pushed some bullshit PSAs to people in the 70s/80s/90s that fat was bad for you and that dietary fat will kill you and give you high cholesterol. So, instead, eat this low fat substitute that's loaded with sugar and salt. Which are both WORLDS worse for you than fat ever could dream. (at the levels to make the food palatable, lots and lots of fat is still bad because triglycerides can get fucky)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I occasionally oversee a federally sponsored free meals program and they give the kids fat free milk and it makes me friggin crazy.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    also

it tastes terrible

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    In other news I guess I gotta... get a pull-up bar or something, because I did an aerial hoop class for funsies last week and it Kicked My Ass, except not in the ass area but in the lats and triceps

In fact my muscles were so pulverised by it that when I had to haul myself into the outrigger canoe on the open ocean, a thing I NORMALLY CAN DO, I basically flailed like a drowning seabird

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So I've been going climbing regularly (weekly) for just over a month now and I gotta say, I've definitely noticed a big difference in my strength and stamina, especially in the upper arms

Like, I was not really able to just hang from one hand and one foot after a while before, but now I can just dangle away thinking about my next move, do overhangs way more easily... feels really good to be developing my strength and technique. I'm signed off to go by myself now so might actually start going twice weekly, especially as it makes me feel so much more confident and healthy!

• Options
    I started doing some climbing and brought my friend who I thought would enjoy it

I personally only went a few times because it was around then that I hurt my elbow and I had already hurt my wrist before which is semi perma f’d (not climbing related)

But my friend kept going and got really into it so I’m glad I did some good by getting him obsessed with it
    He hadn’t even been exercising in a while and now he climbs a few times a week every week

So I did good I guess

poo
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    You did good.

• Options
    Day 2 of couch to 5k. It was harder than day 1 because my legs are still stiff from my first run. Need to do more stretches I think.

• Options
    In other news this is the first week I've missed gym sessions since I started in January for reasons other than illness or travel

It is because I am an anxious mess who is behind on work and not on top of his sleep and dug himself into a procrastination hole

I will get back on it though
    Definitely going tomorrow, and probably Saturday, so effectively I'll only have missed Monday and just moved around a day

Sleep is difficult

Being on top of life is difficult

But I will keep fitnessing.

poo
This discussion has been closed.