As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I thought it came out longer ago than that tbh

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder if rebel galaxy outlaw will unlock tonight at midnight or like tomorrow afternoon

10am central. I do wish they would just say here you go and launch it now but that’s because I have today and tomorrow off.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I had no idea Rebel Galaxy Outlaw was coming out tomorrow and now I can't believe it's not coming out until tomorrow

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wonder if rebel galaxy outlaw will unlock tonight at midnight or like tomorrow afternoon

10am central. I do wish they would just say here you go and launch it now but that’s because I have today and tomorrow off.

Boo to that.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    I had no idea Rebel Galaxy Outlaw was coming out tomorrow and now I can't believe it's not coming out until tomorrow

Launches at 8am PDT, so excite.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    This patch, known as NewDark, appeared on a French Thief fan forum called Ariane4ever. It was the work of an unknown coder simply known as ‘Le Corbeau’. Le Corbeau was a newcomer to the forum but had somehow delivered a patch that brought all the games made on the Dark Engine up to modern standards, releasing System Shock 2, both Thief games, and the editor DromED from their 90s technological prison. They’d even updated the demos.

The impact of NewDark can’t be understated. The patch notes were so ludicrously complete, a laundry list of fixes that entire communities had dedicated years attempting to hack around, that people worried the patch was fake, potentially even a virus. But it was real. Hard limits coded into the engine had been increased, codecs changed, resolutions were updated, bugs squashed. Even the editor was future-proofed: “DromEd will no longer stop working after 03:14:07 on Tuesday, 19 January 2038”. System Shock 2 was modernised.

But how had Le Corbeau pulled it off? The only reasonable explanation was that they had access to the source code. To trace that, we have to skip back in time again, this time to 2010. A modder on the Dreamcast Talk forum announced that they had a devkit Dreamcast. After a frustrating attempt to get into the unit’s hard drive, he finally managed to dump its contents. But that find wasn’t the important one here.

More interesting for the history of the NewDark mod was an old disc in the bag the machine came in. That disc contained the source code to the Looking Glass games. Though it didn’t provide immediate access to Dark Engine’s secret vaults, it was the start.

this story is wild
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/12/no-one-knows-who-is-patching-system-shock-2/

Well this is crazy

Maybe I should reinvestigate the version of the game I got off GOG, I never got farther than the intro last time I gave it a shot

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If you do, see if you can find a mod to get rid of the weapon durability. That shit is rough even after they patched it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    This patch, known as NewDark, appeared on a French Thief fan forum called Ariane4ever. It was the work of an unknown coder simply known as ‘Le Corbeau’. Le Corbeau was a newcomer to the forum but had somehow delivered a patch that brought all the games made on the Dark Engine up to modern standards, releasing System Shock 2, both Thief games, and the editor DromED from their 90s technological prison. They’d even updated the demos.

The impact of NewDark can’t be understated. The patch notes were so ludicrously complete, a laundry list of fixes that entire communities had dedicated years attempting to hack around, that people worried the patch was fake, potentially even a virus. But it was real. Hard limits coded into the engine had been increased, codecs changed, resolutions were updated, bugs squashed. Even the editor was future-proofed: “DromEd will no longer stop working after 03:14:07 on Tuesday, 19 January 2038”. System Shock 2 was modernised.

But how had Le Corbeau pulled it off? The only reasonable explanation was that they had access to the source code. To trace that, we have to skip back in time again, this time to 2010. A modder on the Dreamcast Talk forum announced that they had a devkit Dreamcast. After a frustrating attempt to get into the unit’s hard drive, he finally managed to dump its contents. But that find wasn’t the important one here.

More interesting for the history of the NewDark mod was an old disc in the bag the machine came in. That disc contained the source code to the Looking Glass games. Though it didn’t provide immediate access to Dark Engine’s secret vaults, it was the start.

this story is wild
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/08/12/no-one-knows-who-is-patching-system-shock-2/

Just to be clear, an anonymous unknown entity that is unable to be reached or contacted for human interaction is reverse-engineering and updating the source code for the game featuring the most notorious self-improving AI in computering history, and no one seems at all alarmed by this.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    HEY I HEARD THAT DICEY DUNGEONS COMES OUT TOMORROW

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    g2a is bad in some way right?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    They sell keys bought with stolen credit cards that then get revoked and cost the developers and the consumer money.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

I played that at PAX, it’s real fun.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    They sell keys bought with stolen credit cards that then get revoked and cost the developers and the consumer money.

still don't understand how any of that is even remotely legal

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

It does? Fuck yeah, that game's rad

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    b45WYUW.jpg

This is the wrong thread, but I'm going to leave him here.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm not a GTA fan but I am watching a streamer play some weird GTAV Online mod that is basically Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit but with one robber player and like 40 cop players.

You can't get out of your car and there are no guns.

It is just constant Blues Brothers car crash nonsense and is hilarious.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

They're based in Hong Kong.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    it's crazy that chargebacks fall on the developer and not like just part of the credit card compamy's operating costs

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

this story is wild

Just to be clear, an anonymous unknown entity that is unable to be reached or contacted for human interaction is reverse-engineering and updating the source code for the game featuring the most notorious self-improving AI in computering history, and no one seems at all alarmed by this.

look people scanned the files and found that they're 100% legit
    jUaQZGv.jpg
    stop being so paranoid and do as she commands

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Oh no worries I'll just close that... Win... Dow...

:bigfrown:

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    If that was all they did, sure. But
    I'm not a GTA fan but I am watching a streamer play some weird GTAV Online mod that is basically Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit but with one robber player and like 40 cop players.

Link?

• Options

now turn on negative friction

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    If that was all they did, sure. But

Link?

It was Shroud. He might be still playing but the server was having issues.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    If my streaming handle was Shroud, I would make sure to have a video series where I looked at random indie games called Shroud: Tour Indie

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    If my streaming handle was Shroud, I would make sure to have a video series where I looked at random indie games called Shroud: Tour Indie

That’s fine but I like your current stream where you play Civ against an AI of yourself:
    Turn the Other Chico

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It does? Fuck yeah, that game's rad

Yeah, don't on this Terry Cavanagh joint people, the alpha has been really good, and the Chipzel soundtrack is 🔥.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    So I preordered Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and check my library and there is no option to pre-load. I tweeted dev and no response then see this article saying that preload is not even implemented yet on EGS...

https://www.pcgamer.com/borderlands-3-no-preload/

Don't worry, though, it's on the features roadmap...

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    My Strategos contracted smallpox, allowed his doctor to take extreme measures to cure him and when he woke up from the surgery he found that he was a eunuch, his betrothal had been broken off and his only son and heir had gone insane.

The smallpox was gone, though!

Still he was pretty miffed and decided, fuck it, it's time to start worshiping Satan.

I'm not very good at CK2 but CK2 is very good.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The detailing in Satisfactory felt a bit chintzy at the start, which I expected of an EA game, but gosh dang getting to the right tech level makes that a lot better. The chainsaw, rivet gun, and vibro-sword all sound and feel great to use. And the guns have a super fallout-lazgun-aesthetic I appreciate a lot.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Out today:

Aug 13 - Rebel galaxy outlaw ( Space, Trading, Narrative, Adventure)

Aug 13 - Vicious Circle ( Action, Adventure, Indie, Multiplayer, FPS )

Aug 13 - Dicey Dungeons ( Indie, Strategy, Rogue-like, Turn-Based, RP )

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Don't play Slay the Spire.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Don't play slay the spire when you have an hour before you need to do the thing at 11am because it will be 2pm before you know it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Third parties stealing credit cards to buy game keys is illegal. G2A then buys those keys but they pretend not to know that most of what they're buying is stolen. Despite offering a money back guarantee if your key is invalid, which is not a thing a legitimate retailer would need to offer.

Multiple publishers/developers have said "hey just pirate our game instead of buying from G2A, it's easier on us"

https://www.pcgamer.com/developers-tell-people-to-pirate-their-games-instead-of-using-g2a/

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Don't play Slay the Spire.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Don't play slay the spire when you have an hour before you need to do the thing at 11am because it will be 2pm before you know it.

It's the only game I've uninstalled because I was playing it too much. I didn't even do that with WoW.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

From an indie developer point of view, it cab be literally worse than piracy due to the costs of keys sold on G2A that were originally purchased using stolen money. Some indie developers have literally said they prefer people pirate their games instead of buying them on G2A.

Couscous on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Can't wait for G2A to spin that into "want to really show the big corporations? Hurt them the right way, and get to play their games!"

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    How jangly are the guitars in the new Rebel Galaxy?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    How jangly are the guitars in the new Rebel Galaxy?

I just watched the Giant bomb quick look, I don't think they tuned to the country channel. There's some space jazz and EDM though, and both are quite good.

• Options
    The soundtrack for RGO is around 400 songs.

• Options
    I'd say fairly jangly. The title screen seems to have the music on random select, and apparently they anticipated people doing what I did which is just sit there and listen to the music because if you do it long enough the menu fades away and you're just watching a lady drink beer in a space bar while cool music plays.

This discussion has been closed.