As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also American police are pretty shooty and I can see a mass movement against the camps being greeter with what you might call a hail of gunfire and chemical weapons.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    By the time good people realized their situation in Germany, the choice was to keep quiet or join the Jews in the death camps. Many did the latter, but it didn't stop the death camps (though the risks people like them took did save many Jewish people.)

What was actually being done to Jews wasn’t even really public knowledge in Germany up until the end of the war (though plenty of people probably guessed). There were camps and ghettos that were supposedly there so the Jews could be held until the end of the war, when they would be “deported and resettled”. The Nazis even made fake videos of Jewish children playing in play grounds and Jewish people hanging out at the beach and the like.

Nope. There were more than 40,000 slave labor units in German cities visible marching through the streets to everyone who cared to look, and the stories from the camps was ubiquitous. The idea that the average German didn't know is Cold War propaganda, which we did a lot of to rehabilitate the image of the Germans on our side.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together after seeing Jews being transported en masse and the Nazi beliefs and extremely public actions towards Jews up to that pont.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Besides all that, we can see what is going on. How the Germans reacted to the Nazis is whataboutism at best.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together after seeing Jews being transported en masse and the Nazi beliefs and extremely public actions towards Jews up to that pont.

There are a lot of people who can be very stupid when they need to be to live with themselves.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    So the honest answer is that yes, you could dismantle one of these camps with a certain number of people and a certain amount of equipment. Triple/quadruple/whatever that number and you might even be able to do it without bloodshed.

But how do you organize that many people in secret without getting outed as "a terrorist cell" by somebody who gets cold feet? Once you liberate the camp, where do you take its inhabitants? Do you kill the federal agents you find there? If not, how do you prevent them from retaining information that leads to you being discovered after the fact? (a license plate number, an exposed tattoo, a glimpse at your face, any small mistake that you or one of your accomplices made) Do you and your accomplices have jobs? If not, how do you acquire the equipment you need? If so, does your plan require you taking time off from work? Isn't that suspicious, if you (likely a known "radical leftist" if you're thinking about this in the first place) take time off for no apparent reason, a nearby camp gets raided like this, and then you come back to work with a weird bruise or something, does your MAGA-head coworker in the next cubicle report this as suspicious?

And above all, how do you muster the mental, emotional, and actual physical energy to plan and execute all this while surviving in an intentionally oppressive and exhausting capitalist hellscape?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. (And, mods, I'm also not saying it should.) What I'm saying is that there are LOTS of factors besides just "do we care enough" and "are we brave enough".

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    By the time good people realized their situation in Germany, the choice was to keep quiet or join the Jews in the death camps. Many did the latter, but it didn't stop the death camps (though the risks people like them took did save many Jewish people.)

What was actually being done to Jews wasn’t even really public knowledge in Germany up until the end of the war (though plenty of people probably guessed). There were camps and ghettos that were supposedly there so the Jews could be held until the end of the war, when they would be “deported and resettled”. The Nazis even made fake videos of Jewish children playing in play grounds and Jewish people hanging out at the beach and the like.

Makes me think of that movie the island or whatever with the clones. I'm not even sure I knew this detail about the nazis.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

*looks around at the present situation in the US*

I... hrm. Not sure what to say here tbh.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Nope. There were more than 40,000 slave labor units in German cities visible marching through the streets to everyone who cared to look, and the stories from the camps was ubiquitous. The idea that the average German didn't know is Cold War propaganda, which we did a lot of to rehabilitate the image of the Germans on our side.

There's a reason the Dutch use the phrase "wir haben es nicht gewußt" to deride claims of ignorance deemed to be bullshit. It is probable that a lot of Germans didn't know about the full extent of the Holocaust, but they absolutely knew about the slave labour camps and the conditions therein. Aside from the fact that you'd have to very gullible to believe the occasional propaganda from the government, there was plenty of talk and argument that the Jews should be treated like shit and deserved very little comfort.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Americans have no such luxury with our camps. Hell we're trying to outwardly claim they aren't so we can then later claim we had no idea.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    The American people are not going to forcibly liberate their own concentration camps.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    To make it analogous to the current US situation: It wasn't denied that prisoners only had aluminium blankets and little room, and no toothpaste or soap , it was seen as proof of the kindness and humanity of Germans that they provided them with those things.

Old trick. Once you deny a group's humanity, you can frame any minimal effort for them as magnanimous.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

(Vanita Gupta is President and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and former head of USDOJ Civil Rights Division.)

(Jeff Yang is a frequent contributor to CNN's opinion pieces and has written a number of books about the experience of being an Asian-American.)

I feel like this had been discussed either earlier in this thread or in a previous incarnation when we first learned about these proposed changes to policy, but... now they're actually being implemented.

Absolutely disgusting. Indefensible.

• Options
    I think this is not new, when I emigrated to the US I signed a lot of things about how I was ineligible for any benefits. Perhaps other immigrant visas didn't used to have that?

• Options
    I think this is not new, when I emigrated to the US I signed a lot of things about how I was ineligible for any benefits. Perhaps other immigrant visas didn't used to have that?

Were you applying a green card for permanent legal residence?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I should point out that green cards are needed for legal work eligibility, so immigrants that can not get legal status cant work, so they need to use welfare to survive, so they cant get a green card to work. I know this is by design but it is just so terrible. It will be particularity bad for seasonal workers who rely on some form of benefits part of the year.

I know at least one person I work with that left the country because he was afraid despite being a legal resident.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    They're trying to stop immigration. All of it.
    (Unless you're rich and white enough, I mean.)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Just received a notice I need to apply for something green card related. It is several months early, wasn't expecting to hear from them til December. Wonder if this is it for me. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I should point out that green cards are needed for legal work eligibility, so immigrants that can not get legal status cant work, so they need to use welfare to survive, so they cant get a green card to work. I know this is by design but it is just so terrible. It will be particularity bad for seasonal workers who rely on some form of benefits part of the year.

I know at least one person I work with that left the country because he was afraid despite being a legal resident.

It depends on the kind of visa. In a refugee Visa, you can work legally before getting a green card. Most refugees are going to need public assistance for a couple of years this they get their feet under them though even with working.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

The public charge test isn't new, but they're expanding which programs may qualify you as a public charge; namely: Medicaid, food stamps, and HUD assistance.

They're also changing the threshold from being 'primarily dependent' on such programs, to 'likely to need at some point' with an income test:
    Under the rule, green card and visa applicants can be denied not merely for being "primarily dependent on the government for subsistence," as in the past, but if they are likely to need public assistance "at any time."

The regulations also add new requirements for income and financial assets. Advocates say that will make it difficult for immigrants earning less than 250 percent of the federal poverty guidelines (more than $64,000 for a family of four) to get green cards, although the administration argues that the limit is closer to 125 percent of poverty.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/12/748328652/trump-administration-rule-would-penalize-immigrants-for-using-benefits

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just received a notice I need to apply for something green card related. It is several months early, wasn't expecting to hear from them til December. Wonder if this is it for me. :I

Fingers crossed that you can dodge all this nonsense. :(

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The evening news covered this, NBC I think, and when they did they actually did the effort to take note of how many immigrants in the US make up Medicaid and Food Stamp use. It was like 6.5% for Medicaid and 8% for Food Stamps.

• Options
    edited August 2019

The public charge test isn't new, but they're expanding which programs may qualify you as a public charge; namely: Medicaid, food stamps, and HUD assistance.

They're also changing the threshold from being 'primarily dependent' on such programs, to 'likely to need at some point' with an income test:
    Under the rule, green card and visa applicants can be denied not merely for being "primarily dependent on the government for subsistence," as in the past, but if they are likely to need public assistance "at any time."

The regulations also add new requirements for income and financial assets. Advocates say that will make it difficult for immigrants earning less than 250 percent of the federal poverty guidelines (more than $64,000 for a family of four) to get green cards, although the administration argues that the limit is closer to 125 percent of poverty.

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/12/748328652/trump-administration-rule-would-penalize-immigrants-for-using-benefits

Keep in mind the changes to this mean that if an American citizen in the household uses any of these programs, the legal immigrants in the household will be penalized under this.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Sick of being told that the Statue of Liberty poem welcomes the tired, poor and wretched, immigration czar Cuccinelli comes up with the Trumpiest answer: rewrite the poem.
    NPR's Rachel Martin asked Ken Cuccinelli, the acting head of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if he agreed that the words etched on the Statue of Liberty are part of the American ethos. The poem, written by Emma Lazarus, says: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

"Uh, they certainly are," Cuccinelli replied. "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

ya if they could stand on their own two feet they wouldn't exactly be tired, poor or wretched would they you heartless fuck

madparrot on
  • Options
    "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

But not if they have a job and won't become "a public charge" because then they are stealing the jobs of Americans.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    There is at least one person who tried, and died, to do something about it. Currently the situation is that ICE and CBP will kill you for direct action. These camps are heavily armed and have the legal authority to keep people out.

The only ways these camps shut down is either taking legal control of the system and shutting them down, or a mass action that is likely to see many, many people killed.

Currently the people trying to do something are going with the former. Its very easy to ask where the line is for the American people, but very different to walk towards the guns.

I'm not trying throw any shade here, at any camp. Just a reminder that these are heavily armed federal agents and that direct actions have already resulted in direct consequences.

Except for concentration camps. Throw all the shade at those.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I knew Cuccinelli was garbage, but jesus fuck

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

But not if they have a job and won't become "a public charge" because then they are stealing the jobs of Americans.

Or would he prefer "Give me your white and whiter and your whitest."?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Poor people are bad, because they might become "a public charge." Working people are bad because they are "stealing jobs." So the only conclusion is that he only wants rich people. Bring me your Oil Sheiks and your Oligarchs stashing wealth outside the dictatorships they stole it from.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Sick of being told that the Statue of Liberty poem welcomes the tired, poor and wretched, immigration czar Cuccinelli comes up with the Trumpiest answer: rewrite the poem.
    NPR's Rachel Martin asked Ken Cuccinelli, the acting head of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, if he agreed that the words etched on the Statue of Liberty are part of the American ethos. The poem, written by Emma Lazarus, says: "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

"Uh, they certainly are," Cuccinelli replied. "Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."

ya if they could stand on their own two feet they wouldn't exactly be tired, poor or wretched would they you heartless fuck

I guess putting "Arbeit macht frei" on there would be to subtle for them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

For the rest: 'Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?'

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

That sounds foreign! Get him!

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Veagle wrote: »

work is so gauche though.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    George Takei was on Seth Meyers last night and spoke about the Japanese-American internment camps (and his time in one as a child). In case anyone has never heard him talk about it before, this is a good chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iLvLhy1RUQ

I'm sharing this here under the context of immigration policy and the Trump administration's agenda - that under the guise of immigration specifically (but it's not), they're targeting non-whites in a cruel manner. Also, historical context for the country and how fucked up it's been.

• Options
    Arbeit macht stehlen unserer Job

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Have a lawyer ready and hopefully this isn't some shitty bait / trap the government is setting up. Be well Raven.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Talking Points Memo editor:

MSNBC producer:

I am not sure you can get much more openly white supremacist than that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Talking Points Memo editor:

MSNBC producer:

I am not sure you can get much more openly white supremacist than that.

Wait until he finds out that Spain is part of Europe and that Europe has brown people.

• Options
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Only European immigrants shouldn't be treated like shit, everyone else can go fuck themselves." Yeah we get it Trump administration.

If they actually *did* let Europeans immigrate freely, they'd find that American racists are quite capable of hating the lily-white. I know this because one of the main causes of Brexit was British people (lily white) hating Polish (lily white) immigrants.

This discussion has been closed.