As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Karl Urban played three separate roles in Xena

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In olden times there weren't that many faces to go around

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Docu-series/comedy?

Finding Frances part 2

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Watched five episodes of Wu Assassins (Netflix) and despite it being corny, implausible, and full of standard tropes, I dig it. Has some great Raid-style brutal fight scenes (with star of The Raid Iko Uwais) and pretty much every cast member is a skilled combatant (like old kung fu movies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YReGA5W8AwI

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    In olden times there weren't that many faces to go around

especially if you were in New Zealand

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Bucketman wrote: »
    So The Boys. I read the comic. I....liked the story in the comic, the ideas behind the story, and the characters mostly. I hated everything else. Ennis like werid gross out sex comedy in The Boys comic and it always made me feel gross as shit. Overall it was a solid arch but there was so much bad stuff in it ugh.

The TV show
    Changes quite a bit but I like all of it. The characters are well better and theres about 300% less gross shit.

There is one part that bothered me a bit though
    When The Deep is banished to Ohio he meets a girl and she like...rapes his gills? He doesn't consent to it but shes on top of him fingering/fisting his gills and he says it hurts and I know he was a sexual predator and did a shit load of gross stuff, but the scene was awkward and felt like they were playing it for laughs "Look the rapist gets raped!". I didn't like that scene.

I would say that I'm primarily confused as to the purpose of that scene in the plot or themes.

• Options
    Is Wu Assassins subtitled?

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Is Wu Assassins subtitled?

It's a Murican show based in San Fran. They do occasionally say stuff in Chinese with subs.

• Options
    that's so much easier to watch at work hooray

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Karl Urban played three separate roles in Xena

He was actually four different roles!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    But my favorite of his is Caesar.

Last November @Rorshach Kringle and I discussed on a train ride how few fictional rivalries reach the level of pure hatred as that between Xena & Caesar.

• Options
    Outside of Iko Uwais the acting in Wu Assassins is uniformly bad.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So The Boys. I read the comic. I....liked the story in the comic, the ideas behind the story, and the characters mostly. I hated everything else. Ennis like werid gross out sex comedy in The Boys comic and it always made me feel gross as shit. Overall it was a solid arch but there was so much bad stuff in it ugh.

The TV show
    Changes quite a bit but I like all of it. The characters are well better and theres about 300% less gross shit.

When The Deep is banished to Ohio he meets a girl and she like...rapes his gills? He doesn't consent to it but shes on top of him fingering/fisting his gills and he says it hurts and I know he was a sexual predator and did a shit load of gross stuff, but the scene was awkward and felt like they were playing it for laughs "Look the rapist gets raped!". I didn't like that scene.

Spoiler to your spoiler about the boys regarding The deep.

I didn't get the sense they were playing the gill rape for laughs. His later self destructiveness felt like he was blaming his rape on himself.

I mean he's still a shitty rapist himself, but two rapes don't make a right or it right or ok fuck it its just bad ok.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    As much as I love Karl Urban's Julius Caesar as a villain, the best villain in the series is Ares.

Ares is Xena's scumbag ex-husband who is basically the devil and dresses like the lead guitarist in a glam-rock band.

He is a perfect villain.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    ahh yes, ares

your choice for apex hunk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    everyone else is good but keith urban as butcher is not as profoundly terrifying as i think he could be. and also it's true that he can't quite do the accent. they have done a solid job of translating the super dumb joke that is "the frenchman" into live action

i think this is good so far. my question now is, are we going to get nina, the very small russian mobster who masturbates a lot

I think he's really not that scary because...
    He doesn't have any powers yet. Once he gets his V and can act on his hatred for supes that's when you're gonna see something.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

The TV show

I didn't get the sense they were playing the gill rape for laughs. His later self destructiveness felt like he was blaming his rape on himself.

I mean he's still a shitty rapist himself, but two rapes don't make a right or it right or ok fuck it its just bad ok.

I did not think that scene was for laughs at all! I thought it was fucking gross and is easily one of the scenes that has stuck with me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    ahh yes, ares

I would just like to note that a google image search for "apex hunk" returns nothing but disappointment and bemusement.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    that's so much easier to watch at work hooray

Must be nice working for bosses who canonically don't read the forums.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    ahh yes, ares

I would just like to note that a google image search for "apex hunk" returns nothing but disappointment and bemusement.

i'm sad now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    everyone else is good but keith urban as butcher is not as profoundly terrifying as i think he could be. and also it's true that he can't quite do the accent. they have done a solid job of translating the super dumb joke that is "the frenchman" into live action

i think this is good so far. my question now is, are we going to get nina, the very small russian mobster who masturbates a lot

I think he's really not that scary because...
    He doesn't have any powers yet. Once he gets his V and can act on his hatred for supes that's when you're gonna see something.

i think the scene with the
    palm reading guy in the bathroom
    was pretty terrifying. It works precisely because he is relateable and likeable and we empathise with Urbans characetr. The show does a better job than the comics of making the audience go
    "ooh violence is silly and fun, until its not and a line is crossed and we dont know exactly why but it was probably already crossed back when we were having fun and we didnt notice it

Prohass on
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

The TV show

The Deep
    I definitely didn't read it as played for laughs

I was cringing and making a fuckin face during that whole scene, it was one of the more nightmarish moments of a show full of 'em

It certainly didn't turn Deep's whole thing on a dime or anything, but it did say a lot about how celebrities are fetisihized to me.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I know, and that makes me so sad!

Would you say you're...
    https://youtu.be/_O1hM-k3aUY
    ?

• Options
    Outside of Iko Uwais the acting in Wu Assassins is uniformly bad.

I laugh anytime Ying Ying is on screen because she is so ridiculously bad.

• Options
    Is she the guide person

• Options
    Is she the guide person

Yes.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Legion ended tonight. I liked it.
    'I didn't think you would help me.' 'I didn't.'

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Oh God, the season finale of Wu Assassins was so bad it's like they don't want to get renewed.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Oh God, the season finale of Wu Assassins was so bad it's like they don't want to get renewed.

It's like some weird Avatar knock off. The bad guys are benders the good guy is a monk. there's an uncle.
    Yeah

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Legion ended tonight. I liked it.
    'I didn't think you would help me.' 'I didn't.'

I completely missed that the third season was happening

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    So I was out of town and now I’m catching up on the last few weeks of Legion
    Jemaine Clement and Jason Mantzoukas live in the Shire and then they have to have a rap battle?

Am I hallucinating

• Options
    So I watched some Wu Assassins and it's kind of an easy show to dislike. The fight scenes are just... excellent. They're really, really good. It's a generally well shot show (I don't love the colour grading but that's a minor thing) and Iko Uwais is really good in it*.

The rest of it though? The scripts are just appallingly lazy, from the basic premise to the dialogue to the awful jokes. It feels like it was pulled out of the notebook of a 12 year old who just got super, super into ninja shit and also watched The Last Airbender. The acting is almost uniformly terrible (with a few great martial arts actors slumming it) in a way that again, just feels lazy, as though the showrunners didn't think that casting people who could act mattered. I was disappointed to find out that Lewis Tan wasn't doing an interesting, mannered performance in Iron Fist, he just can't deliver lines.

Overall I'd say it's worth having on my second screen at work but man, I think I'm going to end up hating it. It manages to be low effort in every way that matters, while wasting so much great talent.

*I think he's a really good actor! I'd like to see him act more!

• Options
    I forgot the music! The music is awful! They just picked songs that they thought were badass, and they don't fit at all! It's super amateurish!

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I've started watching Warrior recently, it's nothing especially deep so far, but covered in style with a soundtrack that's part Western jangle and part Chinese hiphop. It's great to see a newish POV for the immigrant troubles/labour dispute/racism mix though, so that's most of my enjoyment so far.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Which streaming is Warrior on?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    No idea about over there but it's been on Sky/NowTv over here. It's a Cinemax production though so maybe that helps narrow things down?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Which streaming is Warrior on?

It's Cinemax so it's on that or their app, MAX GO. Maybe you can pay for Cinemax through Amazon? I think you have to watch it through Amazon if you do that, though.

Warrior is solid, though. Too boob-y and sex for just the sake of it but the action is damn good and everyone puts in work. It's the Banshee folks and you get the Banshee treatment of the matter which YMMV.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    We've been watching this show on Netflix called In The Dark.

It's about a blind woman who is friends with a young kid. She finds what she thinks is his body in the alley they hang out in and she gets involved with the case to find the kid or his killer.

It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Raijin Quickfoot on
This discussion has been closed.